PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to meet with LB Arthur Moats

Big T
03-23-2014, 01:26 PM
The Steelers will reportedly host an unrestricted free agent linebacker who could offer some positional versatility in their 3-4 scheme.

According to Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Steelers are slated to meet with Buffalo’s Arthur Moats as early as Monday.

Moats (6-2, 250) started 12 games at weak-side linebacker for the Bills in 2013. He was also listed as Buffalo’s top backup middle linebacker. The 26-year-old Moats may have the ability to play inside and outside in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme, a la Lawrence Timmons.

A James Madison product, Moats has recorded 141 tackles and 5.0 sacks in four NFL seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/report-steelers-to-meet-with-bills-lb-arthur-moats/

SteelCityKid5
03-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Very very interesting. I've always respected him and at a reasonable price I say why not given our depth at linebacker.

steelchamp204
03-23-2014, 11:45 PM
He would be a starter I believe. He would have a very good chance starting next to Timmons next season. He is only 26.

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Very very interesting. I've always respected him and at a reasonable price I say why not given our depth at linebacker.

This is an acquisition that needs to get done. Lord knows we need depth and versatility in our LB corps. I say they come out the pocket on this one. This guy could really do wonders for us.

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Again, I do appreciate the way the Front office is attempting to use free agency and plug holes with guys who could really contribute.

LatrobePA
03-24-2014, 10:55 AM
MJD, MJD, MJD... :)

jdehoff83
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM
He on clearance?

coldrolled
03-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Hes a Steeler Now!

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 02:47 PM
We got him. This is a quality move for us.

Steelers signed ILB Arthur Moats, formerly of the Bills, to a one-year contract.
The No. 1 remaining free-agent inside linebacker, Moats will get a shot to start opposite Lawrence Timmons. A 12-game starter last season, Moats notched 54 tackles across only 301 snaps, performing as an able run-plugger. He turned 26 earlier this month.

Big T
03-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Very nice. A little surprised it's only a one-year deal though.

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Very nice. A little surprised it's only a one-year deal though.

Yeah..but it's a start. If he plays well, at least we have an opportunity to lock him up longer before anybody else. Good move FO.

Big T
03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah..but it's a start. If he plays well, at least we have an opportunity to lock him up longer before anybody else. Good move FO.

At more $ than he would cost now. I mean I'm not thinking 6-year deal, just a little surprised it wasn't 2-3 considering he's only 26. They gave a 31-year old slot receiver a 2-year deal.

Agreed though, good move.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-24-2014, 03:16 PM
"The Steelers don't use free agency!"

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 03:53 PM
At more $ than he would cost now. I mean I'm not thinking 6-year deal, just a little surprised it wasn't 2-3 considering he's only 26. They gave a 31-year old slot receiver a 2-year deal.

Agreed though, good move.

Your right abut it costing more later. Oh well. Who knows what was said behind closed doors on both sides. But does this take Mosley off the draft radar now? I'm thinking yes.

steelchamp204
03-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Yea, risk a chance he plays well and we have to overpay for his services to stay a Steelers. Christ, at least a 2 year deal would have been nice.

steelchamp204
03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
"The Steelers don't use free agency!"

We get it Neil, we get it, everytime a FA signs. RDS has you blocked anyways, not even worth it man.

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Frick & Dick are on ignore.

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Yea, risk a chance he plays well and we have to overpay for his services to stay a Steelers. Christ, at least a 2 year deal would have been nice.

But atleast he's still young and who says it will be overpaying? We'll see.

JackLambert
03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Nice. Grab MJD and I'm all set for the draft!

(Not that I like Thomas at DE at all but...)

SteelCityKid5
03-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Has anyone heard whats going on with Sean Spence? Is he going to be able to give it a full go this season? I know he won't be what he was initially built up to be (which is very unfortunate) but, he still intrigues me.

DanRooney
03-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Arthur Moats and his sister graduated from my high school a while back. His sister was in my grade but he was in 2 grades behind if I remember right. Good guy.

Mike Tomlin
03-25-2014, 01:42 AM
Great signing for the simple fact that they added quality depth at 3 spots in one move. Man i'm feeling good about this year, just about every move that I felt needed to be made was. Of course we still have have more to do but look how aggressive we have been in FA this year. We have really opened up our board for the draft, at this point we could take anybody. I think MJD is the last FA we'll shoot at before the draft, then depending on how the draft goes we'll wait for the next round of cuts when we have a little more breathing room in June. The surprises for me were them signing Mitchell and Al Woods leaving. I was hoping for an extensions for Troy and Heath. I think we get Benjamin right where we're sitting and trade up in the second only if somebody is there that we really like ,maybe Fuller but he could possibly go in the backend of the first.

Real Deal Steel
03-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Benjamin will be there but where does he sit on our draft board? That's the key.

JackLambert
03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Signed a one-year, $795,000 contract. Wow. That's pretty cheap.

That's three nice adds plus Thomas. One more would be great.

Only bad part is that Carrington and MJD were the two I wanted most. :)

MJD ain't happening for $3M. Still some decent vet backs around...

Ibleedblk&gld
03-25-2014, 12:12 PM
BRING BACK REDZONE REDMAN!!!!!!!!!

*awaits K Train's reaction* :popcorn:

WindyCityShaker
03-25-2014, 12:16 PM
I'll echo most others' thoughts in being incredibly excited by the addition.........

and extremely disappointed they only worked it out for a year.

TarlsQtr
03-25-2014, 12:38 PM
I'll echo most others' thoughts in being incredibly excited by the addition.........

and extremely disappointed they only worked it out for a year.

Could have been what Moats wanted. It is risky (injury) but if he plays well he could get a FA contract next year much better than this season.

It could also mean that we are targeting someone like Mosley and want Moats as a one year stop gap.

WindyCityShaker
03-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Could have been what Moats wanted. It is risky (injury) but if he plays well he could get a FA contract next year much better than this season.

It could also mean that we are targeting someone like Mosley and want Moats as a one year stop gap.

Just gets me thinking, because we only have Worilds for this next year as well, of course we may go longer term with either or both, but just gives me pause.

Danger DANJ
03-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Has anyone heard whats going on with Sean Spence? Is he going to be able to give it a full go this season? I know he won't be what he was initially built up to be (which is very unfortunate) but, he still intrigues me.

I'm curious what's going on with Spence as well. Will he even be able to play?

Also, nobody seems to be mentioning Vince Williams. I thought he looked pretty good at times for a rookie. I would think he has just as much a chance to start next to Timmons as Moats.

JackLambert
03-25-2014, 09:18 PM
I was very impressed with Williams last year. So much that I was fine with him as starter and just wanted depth. Moats is a nice signing but there may be a reason we only grabbed him for one year.

Nolrog
03-26-2014, 06:24 AM
Just gets me thinking, because we only have Worilds for this next year as well, of course we may go longer term with either or both, but just gives me pause.

I'm confident that Worilds will get a long term deal. They got him signed and then moved on to other things, but they will turn their focus on to him soon. I think he'll get a 5 year deal, maybe 35 million, with about 18 million guaranteed (less average per year, but more guaranteed money which gives him more certainty and less risk if he gets injured.)