PDA

View Full Version : Alex Carrington DE

mcfly06
03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
What are your guys thoughts of us signing this this guy. He didn't put up big numbers at Buffalo but still never know what he could do with us. I wouldn't mind it since we have no one but Heyward right now, and he is young he's 27. I know he was visiting us today and were really interested. Would it be a good fit?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-13-2014, 10:09 PM
he was one of my favorite non-1st round draft prospects in 2010... i wanted him badly. If we sign him, he'll start...

He's a long, perfectly framed player for 5 tech. He was really coming on in Buffalo before tearing his quad last year.

Bottom line... he's developed and ready. Another team put in the time and effort, and we have a chance to reap the rewards. Sign him now!

mcfly06
03-13-2014, 10:35 PM
he was one of my favorite non-1st round draft prospects in 2010... i wanted him badly. If we sign him, he'll start...

He's a long, perfectly framed player for 5 tech. He was really coming on in Buffalo before tearing his quad last year.

Bottom line... he's developed and ready. Another team put in the time and effort, and we have a chance to reap the rewards. Sign him now!

I agree I want him, that takes away a need really wouldn't have to spend a first or second round pick on a DE. We could get that later on just to get extra bodies in there. I still want WR or CB first and second round.

mcfly06
03-13-2014, 10:46 PM
What do you think about Vince Wilfork if the money is right should we get him too, I would want both of them tho lol.

steelchamp204
03-13-2014, 11:16 PM
If the Steelers are going after a DE and the NT from SD, this means in the draft they will either select a WR/CB/ILB in the first.

Either

Mosley
Gilbert
Dennard
Evans
Ebron

Just my opinion.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2014, 12:15 AM
If the Steelers are going after a DE and the NT from SD, this means in the draft they will either select a WR/CB/ILB in the first.

Either

Mosley
Gilbert
Dennard
Evans
Ebron

Just my opinion.

I hear ya but they have to sign the guys first.

mcfly06
03-14-2014, 02:29 AM
Yea I saw they wanted Cam Thomas from San Diego, the only bad thing about him is he's always been a backup in San Diego. But if they think he can start and really help us, Im all for it. I too think first round-second round should be WR and CB either one, don't matter too me which one they take in the first or second. I don't see Ebron tho he's a TE I don't know if we should use a first round pick on a TE..

K Train
03-14-2014, 09:02 AM
He would be a day one starter, he blocks kicks too.

Hopefully they get it done...even if the browns offer more money we can hope the "not wanting to play for cleveland" thing holds true as it does for...well, everyone who plays in cleveland

JackLambert
03-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Really want Carrington. Like the player a lot and he's a great fit. I'd feel like the starters were mostly in place, except maybe a WR slot. Obviously, still lots of depth needed...

coldrolled
03-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Who are the great starters?? at say ILB, CB, NT plus the TE is aging fast.

We have missing chunks not pieces right now.

Thats if we get say Carrington today..

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Yea I saw they wanted Cam Thomas from San Diego, the only bad thing about him is he's always been a backup in San Diego. But if they think he can start and really help us, Im all for it. I too think first round-second round should be WR and CB either one, don't matter too me which one they take in the first or second. I don't see Ebron tho he's a TE I don't know if we should use a first round pick on a TE..

Cam Thomas is terrible
He Makes Steve McClendon look like Joe Greene

coldrolled
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Defensive tackle Henry Melton reportedly will visit the Seattle Seahawks on Friday. Could the defending Super Bowl champions continue their trend of signing defensive linemen on the cheap?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Carrington is still in Pittsburght today. He did not leave for his next visit.

this is good news

#fingerscrossed

Big T
03-14-2014, 04:02 PM

this is good news

#fingerscrossed

Indeed

mcfly06
03-14-2014, 04:18 PM

this is good news

#fingerscrossed

They got Cam Thomas, but last I saw Carrington is still in town. Whats taking so long on getting this done? I hope he don't want a lot of money..

Big T
03-14-2014, 04:24 PM
F*ck...

@EdBouchette: Steelers may have signed NT Cam Thomas, but DE Alex Carrington leaves without a contract.

mcfly06
03-14-2014, 04:28 PM
F*ck...

@EdBouchette: Steelers may have signed NT Cam Thomas, but DE Alex Carrington leaves without a contract.

My thoughts as well, maybe he wanted to much money? Or left to think it over? Lets hope its the second one.

K Train
03-14-2014, 04:28 PM
left without a contract

JensK
03-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Thats not good at all :(

TarlsQtr
03-14-2014, 04:31 PM
A complete guess, but I suspect it was always going to be one or the other. Sign Cam and let McClendon move to DE or sign Carrington and keep McClendon at NT.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2014, 04:33 PM
F*ck...

So mad right now...

Big T
03-14-2014, 04:34 PM
It's possible that he failed his physical. Pretty sure he's still rehabbing that torn quad

JensK
03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Just an odd notion that. Cam is a backup type player (as it is), which I personally think McLendon is as well... Not a fan at all. With Carrington, we would at least have gotten a solid starter. Guees he can still end up signing.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
A complete guess, but I suspect it was always going to be one or the other. Sign Cam and let McClendon move to DE or sign Carrington and keep McClendon at NT.

Seems like such a stupid decision...

Cam sucks
McClendon was actually good last year

Carrington has a high ceiling at a position off need

JensK
03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
It's possible that he failed his physical. That he's still rehabbing that torn quad

Steelers knew that though. He was never ever going to be ready before TC. Unless he is worse off than what the Bills med. Team thought.

Big T
03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Need more details but hopefully the door isn't shut. He left without a contract but it could still happen later.

steelchamp204
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Wow, so we sign a guy who is lazy and a backup/rotational guy, but can't reach a deal with a starting 3-4 LE.

TarlsQtr
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Seems like such a stupid decision...

Cam sucks

Carrington has a high ceiling at a position off need

Put that way it is stupid BUT it does not take into account the salary paid to each. They may have decided that Cam near the league minimum is better than Carrington at significantly more. Not saying I agree but just trying to understand their thought process. On its face, Carrington would be a much better sign. He has been a disappointment, but at least it was due to playing in the wrong system and injury. Cam is just not very good.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Put that way it is stupid BUT it does not take into account the salary paid to each. They may have decided that Cam near the league minimum is better than Carrington at significantly more. Not saying I agree but just trying to understand their thought process. On its face, Carrington would be a much better sign. He has been a disappointment, but at least it was due to playing in the wrong system and injury. Cam is just not very good.

I have a hard time believing this is about money... I mean unless Carrington's agent is a fool. Your client is coming off a missed season, and has only shown a brief glimmer of his potential, and he has a chance to join a team that is a perfect fit, has a history of developing the players at the position, and has a WIDE OPEN staring position for you.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm not being rational. I'm emotional involved lol. I've wanted this guy for 4 years.

ChucktownSteeler
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
I had Carrington in my mock a few years back. he's meeting with the Browns tomorrow.

Hope he reconsiders.

Crowned
03-14-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm absolutely furious they didn't get this done. If they plan on drafting Louis Nix and moving McClendon to end, I am absolutely killing myself no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

mcfly06
03-14-2014, 06:04 PM
From what I've seen its a failed physical, but like some of you said we knew that going into talking he's coming off that injury.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
I appreciate that they are really using free agency to address needs. And their being pretty aggressive about it.

mcfly06
03-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I appreciate that they are really using free agency to address needs. And their being pretty aggressive about it.

Me too I like it as well, you address some needs threw free agency and build in the draft and we can really build in this draft. Everything is going in our favor for this draft so far. I'm really excited :)

steelchamp204
03-14-2014, 09:53 PM

Well, this puts a damper on everything for now. I would much rather have Carrington than the guy from SD. Kind of a let down/

JackLambert
03-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Except, really, they aren't. Not yet, anyway. They are trying for sure. Mitchell was a nice add but there were better S available. Thomas sucks and, well... that's it. And there's not a whole lot left. I hope they get another solid vet or two in here. There are too many holes for the draft to fill right now. Carrington would have been great, though if he's not healthy I don't want him.

steelchamp204
03-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Except, really, they aren't. Not yet, anyway. They are trying for sure. Mitchell was a nice add but there were better S available. Thomas sucks and, well... that's it. And there's not a whole lot left. I hope they get another solid vet or two in here. There are too many holes for the draft to fill right now. Carrington would have been great, though if he's not healthy I don't want him.

He will be fully healthy by the beginning of the season. I think he was due to be healthy at the start of training camp.

Crowned
03-14-2014, 10:33 PM
He passed a physical, I really hope they get this worked out. The untapped potential of Carrington is real.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2014, 10:54 PM

We knew they were not going after Byrd or anything like that. So I'm sure they did their homework on Mitchell and saw that he fits what they want to do in the secondary. You've got to feel they know what their doing until proven different. Carrington would be a nice pick up too but if he doesn't sign, then we move on. Remember, after the draft, there will be a second wave of over priced veterans let go. Still early in the game.

greg1964
03-15-2014, 08:39 AM
Alex Carrington....he left without an contact, I know he had some medical issues, but I wouldn't mind if he is signed, BUT that would mean the end of the DaBeard as a Steelers (sob...sob...)

JackLambert
03-15-2014, 08:55 AM
We knew they were not going after Byrd or anything like that. So I'm sure they did their homework on Mitchell and saw that he fits what they want to do in the secondary. You've got to feel they know what their doing until proven different. Carrington would be a nice pick up too but if he doesn't sign, then we move on. Remember, after the draft, there will be a second wave of over priced veterans let go. Still early in the game.

I'm with you, RDS. I like Mitchell a lot. There are those that think we overpaid and/or he's not that good. I think he may have been easier to target with higher profile S available. That's all. We both want Carrington here badly. If they get him then I'm very happy with FA. I don't know why he wasn't signed; I was just speculating that health may have been a reason. There's no doubt this team has been more active than usual and that's a great sign. Still, I don't like Thomas so, as of now, they've added one quality FA. That makes me hedge on declaring them aggressive in addressing needs. Hopefully, as you said, someone shakes loose later that can help us.

JackLambert
03-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Alex Carrington....he left without an contact, I know he had some medical issues, but I wouldn't mind if he is signed, BUT that would mean the end of the DaBeard as a Steelers (sob...sob...)

There's room for both. DE is a big problem right now.

Nolrog
03-15-2014, 09:27 AM
There's room for both. DE is a big problem right now.

I agree. Keisel could come back and back up Cam and Carrington. Would actually turn a major problem right now into something that we don't have to address immediately.

Mike Tomlin
03-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Carrington and Heyward would be a great tandem.

coldrolled
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Whats going on with this guy?? any noise at all?

Big T
03-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Whats going on with this guy?? any noise at all?

Had a couple more visits but he hasn't signed yet. It's obviously a "him"-problem lol

coldrolled
03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
OR.. Buyer Beware

In some cases, an "immediate motion" protocol (treatment plan) is prescribed. This is a more aggressive approach and not appropriate for all patients. Most surgeons protect motion early on after surgery.

The exact timeline for physical therapy and the type of exercises prescribed will be individualized to you. Your rehabilitation plan will be based on the type of tear you have, your surgical repair, your medical condition, and your needs.

Complete recovery takes at least 4 months. Most repairs are nearly healed in 6 months. Many patients have reported that they required 12 months before they reached all their goals.
Top of page
Outcome

Most people are able to return to their previous occupations. Slightly over half of people have thigh weakness and soreness at the site of the tear. People who require surgery do better if the repair is performed early after the injury.

If you are a competitive athlete, your surgeon will most likely want to test your leg strength before giving a go-ahead to return to sports. Your surgeon will compare your leg strength using some functional knee testing (like hopping). The goal is that your strength be at least 85-90% of your uninjured side. In addition to leg strength, your surgeon will assess your leg's endurance, your balance, and if you are having any swelling.

polamalu43
03-20-2014, 12:17 AM
What we need to do is sign Worrilds for 5 years and reduce his cap number......then we can actually make a few more moves.

K Train
03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Worilds for 5 years would be awful

NeilPatrickBanana
03-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Worilds for 5 years would be awful

Keenan Lewis says hi

K Train
03-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Keenan Lewis says hi

So does woodley.

Oh wait

NeilPatrickBanana
03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
So does woodley.

Oh wait

Keenan Lewis had 1 season of solid tape
He was paid according to that one tip of the iceberg season while also projecting a solid future

He is a comparable for Worrilds based on that resume

Woodley got a massive, pro bowler contract after a few years of really good numbers...

My comparison is relevant, yours is not

Worrilds won't be getting a Woodley like contract... He'll be getting something more comparable to Lewis (more than Lewis, far less than Woodley)

K Train
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Keenan Lewis had 1 season of solid tape
He was paid according to that one tip of the iceberg season while also projecting a solid future

He is a comparable for Worrilds based on that resume

Woodley got a massive, pro bowler contract after a few years of really good numbers...

My comparison is relevant, yours is not

Worrilds won't be getting a Woodley like contract... He'll be getting something more comparable to Lewis (more than Lewis, far less than Woodley)

Except Lewis never wanted to resign with the steelers at all and took less money to play with his home town team. I think you are massively underestimating how much worilds could cost to sign long term. I think we can get used to the idea of paying him $10 million and then seeing him leave. Its probably what i would do (well maybe not being a lifetime steeler fan, but with another team...sure would)

NeilPatrickBanana
03-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Except Lewis never wanted to resign with the steelers at all and took less money to play with his home town team. I think you are massively underestimating how much worilds could cost to sign long term. I think we can get used to the idea of paying him $10 million and then seeing him leave. Its probably what i would do (well maybe not being a lifetime steeler fan, but with another team...sure would)

Lewis got 5 yrs/25.55/5.11 average

So, on the assumption that he took "far" less than his market value (debatable), let's assume his market value was 6 million per year.

If, in a hypothetical world... the Steelers had the cap space and Lewis wanted to return for 5 years / 30 million / 6 per... you would've passed on that deal... your assessment of Lewis was very poor.

I don't think Worrilds is anywhere in the neighborhood of getting 10 per. I think you are misjudging the franchise tag. that money simply impacts the amount the Steelers must guarantee in bonus/year 1 salary.

I think they can get something done in the 6.5 per range, over 5 years.

I think that's a good deal for us.

Say 34 million over 5 years... avg 6.8 per
Signing bonus of 8.75 signing bonus
Year 1 and 2 Salary 4 mil Guaranteed
= 12.75 year 1 take home (more than his tag)
= 14.75 2 year guaranteed

He basically gets 5 million MORE in guaranteed money (over the tag), and if he performs to expectations, he's pretty much guaranteed another 21.5 million because he has a team friendly contract.

Year 1 : 4.0 +1.75 = 5.75
Year 2 : 4.0 +1.75 = 5.75
Year 3 : 5.25 +1.75 = 7.0
Year 4 : 5.25 +1.75 = 7.0
Year 5 : 5.75 +1.75 = 7.5

K Train
03-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Lewis got 5 yrs/25.55/5.11 average

So, on the assumption that he took "far" less than his market value (debatable), let's assume his market value was 6 million per year.

If, in a hypothetical world... the Steelers had the cap space and Lewis wanted to return for 5 years / 30 million / 6 per... you would've passed on that deal... your assessment of Lewis was very poor.

I don't think Worrilds is anywhere in the neighborhood of getting 10 per. I think you are misjudging the franchise tag. that money simply impacts the amount the Steelers must guarantee in bonus/year 1 salary.

I think they can get something done in the 6.5 per range, over 5 years.

I think that's a good deal for us.

Say 34 million over 5 years... avg 6.8 per
Signing bonus of 8.75 signing bonus
Year 1 and 2 Salary 4 mil Guaranteed
= 12.75 year 1 take home (more than his tag)
= 14.75 2 year guaranteed

He basically gets 5 million MORE in guaranteed money (over the tag), and if he performs to expectations, he's pretty much guaranteed another 21.5 million because he has a team friendly contract.

Year 1 : 4.0 +1.75 = 5.75
Year 2 : 4.0 +1.75 = 5.75
Year 3 : 5.25 +1.75 = 7.0
Year 4 : 5.25 +1.75 = 7.0
Year 5 : 5.75 +1.75 = 7.5
First of all, i didnt say "far" less but i dont think he ever intended to resign with the steelers unless they massively overpaid.

Your assessment of lewis was very poor, you said something like the best steelers CB in 30 years....which is something you do a lot.....give me a break. Hes was ok his final year here and was one of the better tackling CBs, finally turned the corner and then we watched him run off to New Orleans.

Youve said Keenan Lewis is the best CB the steelers have seen in 20-30 years and youve said hes not special....make up your mind

There are players way more important to the long term success of the team than worilds (heyward being #1 priority). I do really believe this tag is a one year rental, or at least thats what it will end up being

NeilPatrickBanana
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
First of all, i didnt say "far" less but i dont think he ever intended to resign with the steelers unless they massively overpaid.

The point of "Keenan Lewis says hi" is entirely about you.

1. You did not think much of Keenan Lewis pre-2012 season
2. Keenan Lewis went out and had a GREAT 2012 season
3. Keenan Lewis' GREAT 2012 season did nothing to impact your long term outlook
4. Keenan Lewis moved on and played an ELITE 2013 season

1. You did not think much of Jason Worrilds pre-2013 seasons
2. Jason Worrilds went out and had a GREAT 2nd half of the 2013 season
3. Jason Worrilds GREAT 2nd half of the 2013 season has done nothing to impact your long term outlook
4. TBD

Your assessment of lewis was very poor

You can't be serious... sorry pal, but the 2013 season validated my opinion and took a dump on yours

you said something like the best steelers CB in 30 years....Youve said Keenan Lewis is the best CB the steelers have seen in 20-30 years

I doubt it

There are players way more important to the long term success of the team than worilds (heyward being #1 priority). I do really believe this tag is a one year rental, or at least thats what it will end up being

I can't think of anything on our defense more important to it's long term success than it's pass rush... Heyward isn't going anywhere.

K Train
03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
The point of "Keenan Lewis says hi" is entirely about you.

1. You did not think much of Keenan Lewis pre-2012 season
2. Keenan Lewis went out and had a GREAT 2012 season
3. Keenan Lewis' GREAT 2012 season did nothing to impact your long term outlook
4. Keenan Lewis moved on and played an ELITE 2013 season

1. You did not think much of Jason Worrilds pre-2013 seasons
2. Jason Worrilds went out and had a GREAT 2nd half of the 2013 season
3. Jason Worrilds GREAT 2nd half of the 2013 season has done nothing to impact your long term outlook
4. TBD

You can't be serious... sorry pal, but the 2013 season validated my opinion and took a dump on yours

I doubt it

I can't think of anything on our defense more important to it's long term success than it's pass rush... Heyward isn't going anywhere.
You throw elite around like nothing, lewis was fantastic last season but also had some really ****** days. I wanted to keep lewis, he was very impressive his final season with us and it really sucks losing him after he finally turned the corner.

It COULD be the same deal with worilds, but an ok one half a year after a PUTRID first 4 years is not worth a 5 year extension given the current cap situation. At least lewis' problem was he was in the dog house for attitude issues and not just flat out sucking when he was on the field. Lewis looked more comfortable in coverage every year, worilds took 3.5 years to win a matchup and is a 6 game wonder. We'll see whos right, but i say rental

NeilPatrickBanana
03-20-2014, 12:41 PM
We really detailed the Alex Carrington thread lol

K Train
03-20-2014, 12:51 PM
I still want carrington though...lol

Big T
03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Damn...

@EdBouchette: RT @RapSheet: Alex Carrington has agreed to a deal with the #Rams, source says. They find their D-line help.

m.twitter.com/EdBouchette

Real Deal Steel
03-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Damn..oh well. Still more work to do.

LatrobePA
03-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Another draft need :)

Danger DANJ
03-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Great. Of all the free agents they picked up and could still pick up, Carrington was the one I wanted the most. It's obviously not the end of the world but I think it would have helped a lot. I assume Keisel will be brought back for sure now.

Maybe they can use the money on MJD?

JackLambert
03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Be interesting to see what he signed for.

Slated to play between Quinn and Long.

So we signed a tackle to play end and the Rams did the opposite. Sounds stupid.

Mike Tomlin
03-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Be interesting to see what he signed for.

Slated to play between Quinn and Long.

I don't think he wanted to play 3-4 end anymore. Maybe he felt he could have more chances to put pressure on the QB from the middle.

Nolrog
03-26-2014, 06:14 AM

I assumed that Cam Thomas would play NT not end.

coldrolled
03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
see if carringtons quad lasts

JackLambert
03-26-2014, 10:16 AM

I think we all did but the org has said he's our 5-tech with Mc staying at NT.

steelchamp204
03-26-2014, 10:23 AM

The brass say that they want him playing DE.

Real Deal Steel
03-26-2014, 10:27 AM
You have to feel "the brass" has done their homework on him. They've put their necks out there on what they think he can do at DE. So we'll see.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Carrington got 1 year 1.5, we have Thomas 2 years 4.0

steelchamp204
03-28-2014, 12:18 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

JackLambert
03-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Well, isn't that special.

http://www.comedymoontower.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bbcafbd3e6fcaa32_dana-carvey-church-lady.jpg

K Train
08-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I wonder if there is a chance he doesnt make the rams final roster. He is kind of a tweener DE/DT for them and they are loaded with Long, Quinn, Langford, Brockers, Donald, Hayes, and Sam

JackLambert
08-05-2014, 12:37 PM
I wonder if there is a chance he doesnt make the rams final roster. He is kind of a tweener DE/DT for them and they are loaded with Long, Quinn, Langford, Brockers, Donald, Hayes, and Sam

I'd still take him.