PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Best GM's (according to Rotoworld.com)

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Wow,

I didn't see Colbert's name in the top 15 so I bailed on the article. LOL. What a shock.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms?pg=3

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 12:38 PM
that list was horrible

Newsome at #2???? Lewis/Brown at #7??? Elway at #6???

The criticisms of Colbert are legit... but judging solely on the present is misleading...

It's comical to find guys who are 1 or 2 years on the job, with only a few nice moves on their resume... getting ranked significantly ahead of a guy with 2 rings in the last 10 years... and what Colbert is knocked for (kicking the can), is the direct result of winning/competing for Super Bowls

Big T
03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
If there’s one thing a GM can’t fear, it’s tough decisions, but Colbert seems petrified by the harsh realities of his job, unwilling to move on from the core of yesteryear.

Ridiculous... That's what we've been doing the last 3 years. They made the right move trying to keep their SB roster together as long as possible. Hindsight is 20-20. Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, James Harrison, Larry Foote, Keisel (most likely won't be back), Ryan Clark... Still don't know the fates of Woodley and Ike. They did the right thing trying to keep the core together to make another run. It didn't pan out. Again, hindsight.

Big T
03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
that list was horrible

Newsome at #2???? Lewis/Brown at #7??? Elway at #6???

The criticisms of Colbert are legit... but judging solely on the present is misleading...

It's comical to find guys who are 1 or 2 years on the job, with only a few nice moves on their resume... getting ranked significantly ahead of a guy with 2 rings in the last 10 years...

Agreed.

LatrobePA
03-10-2014, 12:45 PM
LOL, you guys are such homers!!

We went 8-8 the past two seasons because of depth, poor coaching, poor personal decisions... Colbert is the most overrated GM in football if you ask me!

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
LOL, you guys are such homers!!

We went 8-8 the past two seasons because of depth, poor coaching, poor personal decisions... Colbert is the most overrated GM in football if you ask me!

So, when we were winning Super Bowls....

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Ridiculous... That's what we've been doing the last 3 years. They made the right move trying to keep their SB roster together as long as possible. Hindsight is 20-20. Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, James Harrison, Larry Foote, Keisel (most likely won't be back), Ryan Clark... Still don't know the fates of Woodley and Ike. They did the right thing trying to keep the core together to make another run. It didn't pan out. Again, hindsight.

Dude, You need to go and look at the 2008 & 2009 draft class. Colbert criticism is fair.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
We are where we are because of those two bust draft classes.

Big T
03-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Dude, You need to go and look at the 2008 & 2009 draft class. Colbert criticism is fair.

The quote from the article and my response had nothing to do with drafting.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Go look at the Pats drafts in 2006 - 2008... but Bellichick is a genius right?

The problem is when a fan base is familiar with all the details regarding their own team, but doesn't know **** about the other 31 teams.

Big T
03-10-2014, 01:10 PM

2008 was a total bust. Sure. 2009, in terms of players, certainly wasn't. The fact that they aren't around here anymore might constitute a bust class, but in terms of the players they are today or was a pretty strong draft. Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Kraig Urbik. Landing 3 players of that caliber all in round three is pretty awesome. Hood, David Johnson, Shipley and even Frank Summers are still in the league. Really they missed on the first round pick but the rest of the draft turned out much better than anyone can really expect. They just aren't here anymore.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

How is 2009 a busted draft class? We drafted 4 straight starters...

Big T
03-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Go look at the Pats drafts in 2006 - 2008... but Bellichick is a genius right?

The problem is when a fan base is familiar with all the details regarding their own team, but doesn't know **** about the other 31 teams.

Again, agreed.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Again, agreed.

It's no different than the lazy *** article that started this thread.

For me, it's real simple... you don't build a long term super bowl contender if you are bad at the job of building a football roster. Colbert is good at his job. If someone wanted to put the time and effort into reviewing, measuring, and analyzing what he's done in his tenure with the team, it would be painfully obvious... but most fans need something to place blame for the things they don't fully understand.

Big T
03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
It's no different than the lazy *** article that started this thread.

For me, it's real simple... you don't build a long term super bowl contender if you are bad at the job of building a football roster. Colbert is good at his job. If someone wanted to put the time and effort into reviewing, measuring, and analyzing what he's done in his tenure with the team, it would be painfully obvious... but most fans need something to place blame for the things they don't fully understand.

I don't want to say agreed again. So... This ^^^

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Look,

Who cares about what he's done in his "tenure". This is a "what have you done for me lately" league. And we haven't made the playoffs "lately" because of the recent bust picks that Colbert got us.

I don't care about the light bill that was paid in 2005 & 2008. If we don't pay the light bill NOW, guess what happens?? The lights get turned off! Our lights have been "off" around here for a while now.

And I don't care about what the other 31 teams are doing. We don't judge ourselves by what other people do! If everyone around us is a rapist, then we are better because we are only bank robbers right????? Gzzzzz. I don't care what other teams do. We are where we are because of those specifically bad draft classes. And if we can't hold on to the players regardless of reason, that's as good as a miss (Mike Wallace). We have to draft better, and develop talent better.

The people who made that mock GM draft are not bias against us. They looked at what Colbert has done lately and it ain't much. Some people are just being homers around here. And when the season gets closer to cranking up, my homerism is going to kick in too. But right now, I"m keeping it extremely real. Colbert and his bust drafts of 2008 & 2009 can be specifically pointed to as to why we are where we are right now.

There's a reason he's down in the bottom feeder of GM's. And it isn't because of "bias".

Big T
03-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Look,

Who cares about what he's done in his "tenure". This is a "what have you done for me lately" league. And we haven't made the playoffs "lately" because of the recent bust picks that Colbert got us.

I don't care about the light bill that was paid in 2005 & 2008. If we don't pay the light bill NOW, guess what happens?? The lights get turned off! Our lights have been "off" around here for a while now.

And I don't care about what the other 31 teams are doing. We don't judge ourselves by what other people do! If everyone around us is a rapist, then we are better because we are only bank robbers right????? Gzzzzz. I don't care what other teams do. We are where we are because of those specifically bad draft classes. And if we can't hold on to the players regardless of reason, that's as good as a miss (Mike Wallace). We have to draft better, and develop talent better.

The people who made that mock GM draft are not bias against us. They looked at what Colbert has done lately and it ain't much. Some people are just being homers around here. And when the season gets closer to cranking up, my homerism is going to kick in too. But right now, I"m keeping it extremely real. Colbert and his bust drafts of 2008 & 2009 can be specifically pointed to as to why we are where we are right now.

There's a reason he's down in the bottom feeder of GM's. And it isn't because of "bias".

You don't care what the other 31 teams do, but you just posted and commented on an article comparing the Steelers GM to the other 31 GMs...

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Let me put it to you like this:

I hold us to a higher standard. Mediocrity is one thing, But those two draft classes were horrid to say the least. And being out of the playoffs for the last three years might be okay to most fan bases, but it's not okay around here. Does that make me spoiled? Maybe. But it is what it is. The Celtics fan base is spoiled, The Lakers fan base is spoiled, and we probably are too. I make no apologize for it.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Look,

Who cares about what he's done in his "tenure". This is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Rational people do.

And we haven't made the playoffs "lately" because of the recent bust picks that Colbert got us.

You think THAT'S why we haven't made the playoffs lately? :lol:

Does this analogy make sense to anyone?

And I don't care about what the other 31 teams are doing.

Yes you do... you just posted an article ranking all the GMs :scratch:

We don't judge ourselves by what other people do! If everyone around us is a rapist, then we are better because we are only bank robbers right????? Gzzzzz. I don't care what other teams do. We are where we are because of those specifically bad draft classes.

We are where we are because we kept a Super Bowl team together in it's entirety for as long as possible (as any sane GM would do).

And if we can't hold on to the players regardless of reason, that's as good as a miss (Mike Wallace). We have to draft better, and develop talent better.

That's a ridiculously stupid statement. Mike Wallace put 4 years of production into the franchise, including a super bowl run. How on earth is that "as good as a miss". Do you even think about the nonsense you type?

The people who made that mock GM draft are not bias against us. They looked at what Colbert has done lately and it ain't much.

They looked at 3 restructures... and not much else. How many other GMs have plucked a Pro Bowl WR in the 6th round? How many other GMs have more wins over the last 3 years (post last super bowl run)? How many other GMs have built a Super Bowl roster? How many other GMs have produced 2 Defensive MVPs?

They clown who wrote that article talked about kicking the can... and it's a bullshit layman's perspective. He extended 2 players. The extensions are ridiculously team favorable. They provide cap relief now, and time to transition in a year or 2. The Dead Space if we have to cut them before their final season is minimal.

Where is the reference to cutting Harrison, Ward, Smith... moving on from Clark, Keisel, Hampton, etc...

The guy used 3 quick examples to make an anecdotal statement.

It was a lazy article meant for stupid lazy readers

Some people are just being homers around here. And when the season gets closer to cranking up, my homerism is going to kick in too. But right now, I"m keeping it extremely real. Colbert and his bust drafts of 2008 & 2009 can be specifically pointed to as to why we are where we are right now.

What kind of an idiot calls 2009 a draft bust???

One article tailor made for idiots.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Let me put it to you like this:

I hold us to a higher standard. Mediocrity is one thing, But those two draft classes were horrid to say the least.

2009 was the opposite of horrid.

And being out of the playoffs for the last three years might be okay to most fan bases, but it's not okay around here.

Two

TarlsQtr
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
This is the most humorous thread in a long time.

Absolutely no credit for building 3 Super Bowl teams and all of the blame when those teams get old and you go through a mini rebuild mode.

And it is easy to criticize the 2008 draft class, yet look earlier this season when people were advocating the team throwing games for draft position. Yet they cannot/do not even consider how winning Super Bowls impacts your draft, choosing last in each round.

muncher
03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
colbert has done a fine job keeping cowhers productive players around as long as possible so tomlin could succeed with them

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 04:36 PM
colbert has done a fine job keeping cowhers productive players around as long as possible so tomlin could succeed with them

Hahahaha.

TarlsQtr
03-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Colbert has been around since 2000. "Cowher's picks" are also Colbert's picks.

Big T
03-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Colbert has been around since 2000. "Cowher's picks" are also Colbert's picks.

Not to mention the fact that if Bill Cowher would've gotten his way, Shawn Andrews would've been a Steeler in '04...

LASVEGASGUY
03-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Which coincides with Tomlin in the war room. This is a reason we tried to keep this team together as long as possible. You don't put a guy in the war room who can't even pick his nose right. Colbert didn't forget how to draft overnight because he hit so many home runs under Cowher. The problem, all you homers don't want to see, is Tomlin not Colbert.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Hmmm....

msullivan
03-10-2014, 10:17 PM

Every draft starting with 2006 - has been an absolute disaster! No hindsight needed here. Colbert has ruined the franchise! Should have been let go after worst draft in NFL history...2012!

Big T
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Every draft starting with 2006 - has been an absolute disaster! No hindsight needed here. Colbert has ruined the franchise! Should have been let go after worst draft in NFL history...2012!

Smh... At you, just so you don't get confused.

msullivan
03-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Smh... At you, just so you don't get confused.

In laymans terms.. Please. Is Smh an acronym for - Colbert is A Controlling idiot? Hey everybody let's trade away a pick n lets move up n take Ta'amu! Yeah... Oh boy, and I'm SUPER excited to reveal, that we're taking Sean Spence instead of T.Y. Hilton! Sorry, New England... We're keeping Emmanuel(our savior). Thanks, but you can keep that 3rd rounder. Hello.. I'm Mike Adams.. Here are my stipulations: # 1 - put back on board.. #2 draft me mid second CUZ YOU KNOW IM A STEAL! WTF people...wake up

msullivan
03-10-2014, 11:35 PM
This is the most humorous thread in a long time.

Absolutely no credit for building 3 Super Bowl teams and all of the blame when those teams get old and you go through a mini rebuild mode.

And it is easy to criticize the 2008 draft class, yet look earlier this season when people were advocating the team throwing games for draft position. Yet they cannot/do not even consider how winning Super Bowls impacts your draft, choosing last in each round.too bad they bomb in rounds 2 - 7

Real Deal Steel
03-11-2014, 12:29 AM
again, It's about "what have you done for me lately". Nobody is disputing what Colbert has done. But it's about what he's doing NOW.

You want loyalty, buy a dog. Colbert has to do better in his drafts. And how he handles in house free agents too. Not having adequate players in place when guys on are on their last legs (See Ike Taylor & Ferrior and Troy)

TarlsQtr
03-11-2014, 02:29 AM
again, It's about "what have you done for me lately". Nobody is disputing what Colbert has done. But it's about what he's doing NOW.

You want loyalty, buy a dog. Colbert has to do better in his drafts. And how he handles in house free agents too. Not having adequate players in place when guys on are on their last legs (See Ike Taylor & Ferrior and Troy)

So you would fire Belichick?

Nolrog
03-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Some of the criticism is legit. But one of the things they say is that he's afraid to make the hard decisions, a day after they cut Woodley and forced Ike to take a significant pay cut.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-11-2014, 02:19 PM
too bad they bomb in rounds 2 - 7

Ridiculous hyperbole...

2nd Woodley - Top 20 Pass Rusher/Pro Bowler
3rd Spaeth - NFL TE
5th Gay - NFL Starting CB

Horrendous Draft... everyone knows this...

3rd Urbik = Top 10 RG
3rd Wallace = Top 30 WR/Pro Bowler
3rd Lewis = Top 20 CB
5th Summers = NFL Fullback
7th Shipley = NFL Center
7th Johnsons = NFL TE/H Back

2nd Worrilds = NFL Starter/Transition Tagged
3rd Sanders = NFL WR/Offersheeted
6th Dwyer = Backup NFL Running Back
6th Brown = Top 10 WR/NFL Pro Bowler

2nd Gilbert = NFL Starting RT
4th Allen = NFL Starting CB

NeilPatrickBanana
03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
In laymans terms.. Please. Is Smh an acronym for - Colbert is A Controlling idiot? Hey everybody let's trade away a pick n lets move up n take Ta'amu! Yeah... Oh boy, and I'm SUPER excited to reveal, that we're taking Sean Spence instead of T.Y. Hilton! Sorry, New England... We're keeping Emmanuel(our savior). Thanks, but you can keep that 3rd rounder. Hello.. I'm Mike Adams.. Here are my stipulations: # 1 - put back on board.. #2 draft me mid second CUZ YOU KNOW IM A STEAL! WTF people...wake up

Every GM in the league makes the type of draft moves that if looked at completely in a vaccuum would make any GM look like an idiot.

2003 Bill Belichick took WR Bethel Johnson in the 2nd round over Anquan Boldin
2006 Bill Belichick took WR Chad Jackson in the 2nd round over Greg Jennings
2008 Bill Belichick traded up to draft OLB Shawn Crable in the 3rd, over Jermichael Finley
2006 Bill Belichick drafted RB Laurence Maroney in the 1st round, over Maurice Jones-Drew
2010 Bill Belichick drafted WR Taylor Price in the 3rd round over Jimmy Graham, Navarro Bowman, and Alterraun Verner
2009 Bill Belichick drafted Brandon Tate in the 3rd round over Mike Wallace

I could do this all day with any GM

get a ****ing clue

jdehoff83
03-11-2014, 04:47 PM
^^^ lol

muncher
03-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Ridiculous hyperbole...

2nd Woodley - Top 20 Pass Rusher/Pro Bowler
3rd Spaeth - NFL TE
5th Gay - NFL Starting CB

Horrendous Draft... everyone knows this...

3rd Urbik = Top 10 RG
3rd Wallace = Top 30 WR/Pro Bowler
3rd Lewis = Top 20 CB
5th Summers = NFL Fullback
7th Shipley = NFL Center
7th Johnsons = NFL TE/H Back

2nd Worrilds = NFL Starter/Transition Tagged
3rd Sanders = NFL WR/Offersheeted
6th Dwyer = Backup NFL Running Back
6th Brown = Top 10 WR/NFL Pro Bowler

2nd Gilbert = NFL Starting RT
4th Allen = NFL Starting CB

looks like the inability to evaluate or coach these guys seem to be the problem

coach
03-12-2014, 02:47 PM

I am not sure if I am reading this post right, but the Steelers badly needed OL help when they drafted DD in the first and Adams in the second. There were a bunch of us in here that saw that as an awesome set of picks at the time.

I am not going to try and figure out which GM is the best at this or that. I will leave that to people who wrote the article and everyone can decide for themselves. The problems with those types of analyses, whether from journalists or fans, is that hindsight is 20/20. When a first or second round player busts, it's not like that player wasn't on most boards at that point, or listed as a top 100 player based on all the facts that people had. Sometimes guys just wash out. Hell, teams cut guys all the time that go on to have great careers with someone else. Talent and player evaluations are as much an art as they are a science. It is a part of the game. We have also had to draft very late in many years because of the success we had. I like this draft because we really have a chance at landing some good players. I know we can try and debate whether some GMs appear to do it better or not. I would only say to that, that those with the poorest records usually get replaced and that leaves 32 GMs in the unique position of decision makers for their teams every year (depending on whether they really make the decisions or they are part of a group of decision makers.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
looks like the inability to evaluate or coach these guys seem to be the problem

neither is the case