PDA

View Full Version : Steelers use Transition Tag on Jason Worilds

Big T
03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
@EdBouchette: #Steelers name LB Jason Worilds transition player

Hmmm....

Big T
03-03-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't like it. Hopefully it's just to give them more time to sign him to an extension. Was not expecting this.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2014, 04:12 PM
The transition tag for Linebackers is $9.754 million

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I think you hit it on the head. They must be trying to work out something long term.

Big T
03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
After the transition tag sat dormant for so long, it has been used twice in the last hour.

The Steelers named outside linebacker Jason Worilds their transition player, the team announced.

That guarantees Worilds, who wasn’t even a full-time starter last year, a one-year deal worth $9.754 million. The franchise tag would have cost $11.455 million.

Worilds had value after registering 8.0 sacks last year, but his side and the Steelers couldn’t agree on what it was.

Now, he can go to the market, and the Steelers have the opportunity to match any deal he finds, though there’s no compensation if they don’t.

The transition tag effectively dares the agent to find a contract. If the Steelers don’t elect to match, they’ll just return their gaze to 2013 first-rounder Jarvis Jones, whose rookie year went in fits and starts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/steelers-use-transition-tag-on-jason-worilds/

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Smart move...

Scenario 1 : Worrilds doesn't get a long term deal he likes, and the Steelers have him for a few million over market value, and have him on a 1 year "prove it" deal. (9.754 1 year)
Scenario 2a : Worrilds gets a fair market offer from another team, the Steelers match (6-7 per)
Scenario 2b : Worrilds does not get the offers he's looking for, and signs a multi year deal with Steelers (6-7 per)
Scenario 3 : Worrilds gets a monster offer from another team, the Steelers let him walk (9-10+ per)

Big T
03-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Smart move...

Scenario 1 : Worrilds doesn't get a long term deal he likes, and the Steelers have him for a few million over market value, and have him on a 1 year "prove it" deal. (9.754 1 year)
Scenario 2a : Worrilds gets a fair market offer from another team, the Steelers match (6-7 per)
Scenario 2b : Worrilds does not get the offers he's looking for, and signs a multi year deal with Steelers (6-7 per)
Scenario 3 : Worrilds gets a monster offer from another team, the Steelers let him walk (9-10+ per)

I just don't like that if he gets an offer we don't match, we get no comp pick, which would most likely be a 3rd with that kind of contract.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I just don't like that if he gets an offer we don't match, we get no comp pick, which would most likely be a 3rd with that kind of contract.

But he would walk for nothing in free agency, at least now we can match if he signs a deal we are comfortable with (see Keenan Lewis)

We basically have the cap space to use the tag, unlike Lewis where we didn't have the option to use the tag.

Big T
03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
But he would walk for nothing in free agency, at least now we can match if he signs a deal we are comfortable with (see Keenan Lewis)

We basically have the cap space to use the tag, unlike Lewis where we didn't have the option to use the tag.

I get it. I guess it's worth the risk. I just don't want to see him walk and we get nothing.

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2014, 04:33 PM
I get it. I guess it's worth the risk. I just don't want to see him walk and we get nothing.

I totally get that. I think we'll be okay. Obviously, this is going to make most suitors back away but anyone else who seriously wants him is going to have to come up with that 6mil a year deal and then we can see where we stand at that point.

Pokey Jones
03-03-2014, 05:38 PM
We won't let him walk for nothing. We will match whatever he is offered. This is just a way to let his agent (who is likely asking for the moon, the stars and the universe because he thinks he has us in a bind) discover that there aren't other offers equal to his expectations.

Mind you I could be wrong, if someone is stupid enough to offer him ridiculous money (like they did with Wallace) well then we just move on with Woodley as is.

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Boy,

The dolphins are regretting that deal for Wallace. LOL

coldrolled
03-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Who does Worilds match up in the league that actually gets paid big dollars? He just made it to starter role.

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Who does Worilds match up in the league that actually gets paid big dollars? He just made it to starter role.

You have to "project" coldrolled. They obviously envision Worilds as being a force and full time player on this defense. That's what their "projecting". So, with that in mind, he's going to be paid like that. Now is that a gamble? Of course! But he's been groomed long enough. And brought along slowly long enough. So here we go.

With this tagging, I think Woodley is a for sure goner. But we'll see how this continues to play out.

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
It's amazing how the media is all over us about us tagging Worilds. All predicting gloom and doom.

If our O-line comes together like we hope, we are going to shove it up all their @sses and personally..I can't wait!

:moon:

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, on a lighter note, I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I wanted a new Steeler hat for the coming season.

http://www.fanatics.com/catalog/product/New_Era_Pittsburgh_Steelers_2013_Draft_Replica_39T HIRTY_Flex_Hat_-_Black

NeilPatrickBanana
03-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I doubt that Worrilds plays this season under the tag.

It would seem that the Steelers have placed what they believe to be market value on Worrilds (for a long term deal), and the tag gives him the ability to go shop that value.

If Worrilds doesn't find a better deal, he'll sign whatever the Steelers are offering.
If Worrilds does find a better deal, but the Steelers feel it's reasonable they will match
If Worrilds does find a big pay day, and the Steelers don't want to match, he'll leave (and the Steelers will keep Woodley).

I can't imagine Worrilds playing at a huge cap hit (franchise tag), AND absorbing the dead cap space of cutting Woodley... the reason being, even with a post June 1 cut (5.99 dead in 2014)... the combination of Worrilds franchise tag (9.574) and cutting Woodley = 15.564... which is more than just keeping Woodley and letting Worrilds go. AND THEN.... you have the issue of 2015, with Worrilds being UFA again AND having the 8.58 in dead Woodley cap space...

So, it's either Worrilds signs long term with Steelers
or
Worrilds signs long term with someone else and we match
or
Worrilds signs long term and we let him go

No way he plays under the tag this year... Khan is too smart for that.

Big T
03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
@EdBouchette: RT "@JasonLaCanfora: Jason Worilds has signed his transition tag w/PIT worth $9.75M. No offer sheets can come now."

There's no benefit for Worilds to sign it now unless they are close to a deal. Interesting.

Big T
03-04-2014, 12:19 PM
@EdBouchette: #Steelers working on long-term deal now with Worilds that would also pare his cap down from that $9.75 M.

m.twitter.com/EdBouchette

steelchamp204
03-04-2014, 12:28 PM
If we sign Worilds for that kind of money, that suggest Woodley is gone? Correct? I can't see the Steelers paying 2 OLB big money and one being a backup to another.

Thanks for any answering.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-04-2014, 12:39 PM
If we sign Worilds for that kind of money, that suggest Woodley is gone? Correct? I can't see the Steelers paying 2 OLB big money and one being a backup to another.

Thanks for any answering.

Yes, if we sign Worrilds, the writing is on the wall for Woodley.

BUT

Woodley could still choose to take a substantial pay cut to try to put up a good season, before inevitably being cut the following year.

From a Steeler point of view, if Woodley is cut with a Post June 1 designation he counts 5.59 in dead space in 2014 ( and another 8.58 in dead space in 2015)... if Woodley were willing to take a paycut from 8 million to 2 million (yes, doubtful)... the Steelers might be willing to keep him (and start him over Jarvis)... giving him a chance to build his value for 2015, when he would be cut....

Would you rather have 5.59 in dead cap space or 7.59 in cap space used on Woodley?

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
@EdBouchette: #Steelers working on long-term deal now with Worilds that would also pare his cap down from that $9.75 M.

m.twitter.com/EdBouchette

Yep..just as Big-T, and the large majority of us predicted. In the end, this is going to shake out fine as long as Worilds comes in and balls the way we expect.

Pokey Jones
03-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I just hope he's worth it. Really just one year of decent production to go on. Year before he looked like a bust. So I hope he is still getting better and last year wasn't just a lucky fluke and we'll regret it long term.

SuperSteelers
03-04-2014, 08:23 PM
That tag pretty much sealed Woodley's fate. Nice having you on the team and wish you the best in your future endeavors.