PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark: Rooney wanted the N-word out of our locker room

Big T
02-24-2014, 10:36 AM
The NFL is considering throwing penalty flags on players who use the N-word on the field. At least one team owner is also telling players he doesn’t want them using the N-word at the team facility.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark said on ESPN on Sunday that Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney made it known last season that he didn’t want to hear the N-word in the locker room, either spoken by members of the team or in music played in the locker room.

“Mr. Rooney actually talked to Ike Taylor about it this season. Ike and Mr. Rooney have a very good relationship,” Clark said. “He told Ike, ‘I don’t want you guys using that word.’”

Although in some cases it might not seem like a white man’s place to tell a mostly black group of men not to use the N-word, Clark said that there’s so much respect among the players for Rooney, a former U.S. ambassador to Ireland whose commitment to diversity is reflected in the Rooney Rule that bears his name, that Clark said the black players on the team were willing to comply.

“Ike went around to specific people and said, ‘Listen, this is what Mr. Rooney told me.’ He’s the ambassador. We call him Old Man Rooney. He has a lot of respect, and because of the way he has treated us as players, as black athletes, also treated Coach Tomlin as a black coach, you know it’s coming from a place of love,” Clark said.

However, Clark said that while players initially respected Rooney’s request, it didn’t last.

“You stopped hearing it immediately that day,” Clark said. “But after a while it came back because it’s the culture. After a while it comes back because this is what these guys have grown up with.”

If the NFL is serious about stopping players from using the N-word, the league may find exactly what Clark described: It sounds like a good idea in theory, but it’s easier said than done.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/23/ryan-clark-rooney-wanted-the-n-word-out-of-our-locker-room/

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
When will Ryan Clark go away?

LatrobePA
02-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Fly away Clark, fly away!

LASVEGASGUY
02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
What a shocker! Dan Rooney wanted the "N" word removed from the locker room.

Next on his agenda is to ban KFC on road trips. Dan give it a rest already. You created the Rooney Rule, you hired Mikey because of it, you fully support Obama and you want to now ban the "N" word. What's next Al Sharpton to GM and Jesse Jackson to head scout?

Big T
02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
What a shocker! Dan Rooney wanted the "N" word removed from the locker room.

Next on his agenda is to ban KFC on road trips. Dan give it a rest already. You created the Rooney Rule, you hired Mikey because of it, you fully support Obama and you want to now ban the "N" word. What's next Al Sharpton to GM and Jesse Jackson to head scout?

I'll just leave this here since you continue to prove my point.

So predictable.

He's a broken record. He'll never add anything meaningful or intellectual to improve a conversation/debate. Same old song and dance with him. "Tomlin rah rah rah. Rooney rule rah rah rah. Because he's black blah blah blah. Obama blah blah blah"... I challenge you to find 10 posts out of his 199 that have nothing to do with Tomlin/race/Rooney rule. There might be 10. Maybe.

He wants no part of any discussion around here unless he can bash Tomlin or bring up the fact that he's black.

And this post is the first post he's made in over three weeks... Since this gem:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php/40379-Lacy-wins-OPOY-but-Bell-was-an-easy-decision

LASVEGASGUY
02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
I'll just leave this here since you continue to prove my point.

And this post is the first post he's made in over three weeks... Since this gem:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php/40379-Lacy-wins-OPOY-but-Bell-was-an-easy-decision

I'm glad I am here for your amusement. Can you debate what I said or are you like every other thin skinned person in America? Everyone is so offended we live in a society of pussies. If you don't like something on TV you change the channel, you don't like something you heard on the radio change the station. You don't like the commercial don't buy the product. You don't like the name Redskins don't buy Schneider's crap. You hate TSA then walk to your destination. The new generation now is to sue or complain until you get your way and it's rather annoying.

Big T
02-24-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm glad I am here for your amusement. Can you debate what I said or are you like every other thin skinned person in America? Everyone is so offended we live in a society of pussies. If you don't like something on TV you change the channel, you don't like something you heard on the radio change the station. You don't like the commercial don't buy the product. You don't like the name Redskins don't buy Schneider's crap. You hate TSA then walk to your destination. The new generation now is to sue or complain until you get your way and it's rather annoying.

No thick skin here. The problems I have with you are that you are in fact racist, and you post absolutely nothing on this site that is related to anything other than race. Ever. Same ****ing song and dance with you. Absolutely no substance in anything you say. Ever. You are what is wrong with this site. Not snobby know-it-alls like NPB (I had to do it lol) or people who think their opinion is fact. You are the problem. Crash got banned for spewing the same ****ing garbage in every post regardless of topic. He was banned for it, and rightfully so. It's amazing to me how you haven't been bounced yet.

And yes, I realize that this particular article centers around race, which is exactly why I knew you'd come out of whatever god forsaken cesspool you call home and say something. Something racist. And you never disappoint. You're a grown "man"... Grow the **** up.

muncher
02-24-2014, 03:59 PM
stupid idea. if they like to be called that, let them be called that

LASVEGASGUY
02-25-2014, 01:07 PM
No thick skin here. The problems I have with you are that you are in fact racist, and you post absolutely nothing on this site that is related to anything other than race. Ever. Same ****ing song and dance with you. Absolutely no substance in anything you say. Ever. You are what is wrong with this site. Not snobby know-it-alls like NPB (I had to do it lol) or people who think their opinion is fact. You are the problem. Crash got banned for spewing the same ****ing garbage in every post regardless of topic. He was banned for it, and rightfully so. It's amazing to me how you haven't been bounced yet.

And yes, I realize that this particular article centers around race, which is exactly why I knew you'd come out of whatever god forsaken cesspool you call home and say something. Something racist. And you never disappoint. You're a grown "man"... Grow the **** up.

I'm just sick and tired of the Rooney's and their hidden agenda. How about the Rooney's run the football team their daddy left them and leave the black and white equality to Sharpton and Jackson? They did their good deed and hired Tomlin, so when do they go back to concentrating on football and not what black people call each other everyday?

Real Deal Steel
02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I have to agree that I want the Rooney's to now just be concerned about this football team and stop trying to solve the ills of society.

Leave the fixing of society to the Gandhi's of the world. :)

LatrobePA
02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Next thing you know the Rooney's will want to stop the perigee races at PNC park...

Stone
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
stupid idea. if they like to be called that, let them be called that

It's more complicated than that. Each player would have to fill out a form stating who he wants to call him that, and under what circumstances, and who is not allowed to call him that ......It would be way too time consuming. It's easier just to outlaw it all together.......you know, to make it look good.

coach
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
I have to agree that I want the Rooney's to now just be concerned about this football team and stop trying to solve the ills of society.

Leave the fixing of society to the Gandhi's of the world. :)

Part of focusing on football does have to do with the "ills of society" because the NFL is a work place, subject to the laws of the land, as are other employers. The Miami Dolphins just learned some harsh lessons about that.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Part of focusing on football does have to do with the "ills of society" because the NFL is a work place, subject to the laws of the land, as are other employers. The Miami Dolphins just learned some harsh lessons about that.

Well said

Real Deal Steel
03-02-2014, 06:13 PM

No..

The bubble known as the National Football League has always been different from the rest of society. Who has made Roger Goodall the moral compass of America??? Sorry but I don't want that for my sport which I consider a past time and something that allows us to escape the seriousness of society.

What you saw in Miami is no different then what goes on in ALL LOCKER ROOMS. There is a reason that the team rallied around Incognito and not Martin. That's why Martin doesn't want to come back. He's a big sissy. If there is a bullying problem, you handle it like all bully situations; you punch the bully in the mouth and keep going. that's part of growing up and being a man.

the NFL is not "a work place". Please. There is no job situation in America like the NFL and it can't be compared to anything. Weather you like it or not, the NFL is a gladiator sport (job) . Always has been and always will be. These are men who are matching up in a physical style (unlike most work places in America) and it's about pushing your WILL on another man in a physical fashion. So please stop comparing it to "other work places in America" because it isnt.

TarlsQtr
03-03-2014, 01:49 AM
No..

The bubble known as the National Football League has always been different from the rest of society. Who has made Roger Goodall the moral compass of America??? Sorry but I don't want that for my sport which I consider a past time and something that allows us to escape the seriousness of society.

What you saw in Miami is no different then what goes on in ALL LOCKER ROOMS. There is a reason that the team rallied around Incognito and not Martin. That's why Martin doesn't want to come back. He's a big sissy. If there is a bullying problem, you handle it like all bully situations; you punch the bully in the mouth and keep going. that's part of growing up and being a man.

the NFL is not "a work place". Please. There is no job situation in America like the NFL and it can't be compared to anything. Weather you like it or not, the NFL is a gladiator sport (job) . Always has been and always will be. These are men who are matching up in a physical style (unlike most work places in America) and it's about pushing your WILL on another man in a physical fashion. So please stop comparing it to "other work places in America" because it isnt.

The law says otherwise.

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Locker rooms are not changing because of what happened with Martin. Guys who don't have the toughness required will still be filtered out as always. Again, notice the silence of the players in the league.

No players on the dolphins want Martin back. He broke the code. Can you imagine how a sissy like him would have washed out in the 70's and 80's? LOL.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Locker rooms are not changing because of what happened with Martin.

in fact, they are

"We must work together towards a culture of civility and mutual respect for one another. It is important to me, important to coach Philbin and important to the entire Dolphins organization."

"We are committed to a positive workplace environment where everyone treats each other with respect. We have reviewed our Code of Conduct and workplace policies and are making enhancements to the areas of sports psychology, human resources and player engagement functions which serve as safe outlets for any player or employee."

"When these allegations first came to light, I wanted to know what happened so we could make our organization better. I also began a deliberative and comprehensive process of determining what I could do to elevate conduct in sports, regardless of the then-unknown conclusions of Ted Wells' report."

Ross says the Dolphins will release their new guidelines for player behaviour next week as they look to set an example in the NFL following such a high-profile scandal.

"Three months ago, I announced the creation of a committee comprised of coach Philbin, our CEO Tom Garfinkel, and respected former players and coaches, who would review Ted Wells' report and our current Code of Conduct and make any further recommendations. Now that the report has been made available to us, the committee can move forward and begin discussions."

"We seek to create a curriculum which emphasizes accountability and which educates athletes on a standard code of conduct, appropriate use of language, and the elimination of disrespectful and unacceptable behaviour in sports, including discrimination or harassment because of race, gender or sexual orientation."

"We are also exploring possible legislation and a conduct pledge that would be instituted in all organized sports throughout the country to elevate the core value of respect.

"I have made it clear to everyone within our organization that this situation must never happen again. We are committed to address this issue forcefully and to take a leadership role in establishing a standard that will be a benchmark in all of sports."

TarlsQtr
03-03-2014, 12:20 PM
in fact, they are

"We must work together towards a culture of civility and mutual respect for one another. It is important to me, important to coach Philbin and important to the entire Dolphins organization."

"We are committed to a positive workplace environment where everyone treats each other with respect. We have reviewed our Code of Conduct and workplace policies and are making enhancements to the areas of sports psychology, human resources and player engagement functions which serve as safe outlets for any player or employee."

"When these allegations first came to light, I wanted to know what happened so we could make our organization better. I also began a deliberative and comprehensive process of determining what I could do to elevate conduct in sports, regardless of the then-unknown conclusions of Ted Wells' report."

Ross says the Dolphins will release their new guidelines for player behaviour next week as they look to set an example in the NFL following such a high-profile scandal.

"Three months ago, I announced the creation of a committee comprised of coach Philbin, our CEO Tom Garfinkel, and respected former players and coaches, who would review Ted Wells' report and our current Code of Conduct and make any further recommendations. Now that the report has been made available to us, the committee can move forward and begin discussions."

"We seek to create a curriculum which emphasizes accountability and which educates athletes on a standard code of conduct, appropriate use of language, and the elimination of disrespectful and unacceptable behaviour in sports, including discrimination or harassment because of race, gender or sexual orientation."

"We are also exploring possible legislation and a conduct pledge that would be instituted in all organized sports throughout the country to elevate the core value of respect.

"I have made it clear to everyone within our organization that this situation must never happen again. We are committed to address this issue forcefully and to take a leadership role in establishing a standard that will be a benchmark in all of sports."

Exactly. Change comes from fear. The Martin case was the tipping point. The NFL and NFL teams are now taking measures to protect themselves from lawsuits. Although the NFL will always be behind the curve some because of the nature of NFL players (similar to law enforcement agencies), the claim that locker rooms are not changing/will not be changing is absurd. The NFL and NFL teams do not want to go through the lawsuits and worse, the media debacle.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Exactly. Change comes from fear. The Martin case was the tipping point. The NFL and NFL teams are now taking measures to protect themselves from lawsuits. Although the NFL will always be behind the curve some because of the nature of NFL players (similar to law enforcement agencies), the claim that locker rooms are not changing/will not be changing is absurd. The NFL and NFL teams do not want to go through the lawsuits and worse, the media debacle.

agreed... and it's fairly obvious... which is why RDS comment is so comical.

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2014, 12:28 PM
This message is hidden because NeilPatrickBanana is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

This message is hidden because TarlsQtr is on your ignore list.
View Post

No point in reading you two's post because all you two like to do is unite and disagree with someone. So assuming that, we will agree to disagree.

All I know is that you can't legislate violence out of a violent game and the game was born from violience and fury. That's what makes us love the game at the core. Putting totoos on players will ultimately erode the game and there ultimately will be less viewership.

Men brakiing down other men is at the core of football. Men out toughening other men. That's what goes on in those trenches. Love it. And that's what goes on in the locker room.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2014, 12:47 PM
we like to inform the uninformed
you prefer to remain uninformed

TarlsQtr
03-03-2014, 12:48 PM
This message is hidden because NeilPatrickBanana is on your ignore list.
View Post

This message is hidden because TarlsQtr is on your ignore list.
View Post

No point in reading you two's post because all you two like to do is unite and disagree with someone. So assuming that, we will agree to disagree.

All I know is that you can't legislate violence out of a violent game and the game was born from violience and fury. That's what makes us love the game at the core. Putting totoos on players will ultimately erode the game and there ultimately will be less viewership.

Men brakiing down other men is at the core of football. Men out toughening other men. That's what goes on in those trenches. Love it. And that's what goes on in the locker room.

Nice red herring and straw man.

Who said anything about legislating violence out of the game?

And, yes, there will always be the players breaking down other players to some extent (again,no one said otherwise). What you ARE going to see is a lessening of it, as they will not go the lengths they did with Martin. There will also be less language such as "f@g" and "screw!ng your sister" talk.

Tell the Rutgers staff (football and basketball) that things are not changing...

coach
03-04-2014, 08:53 PM
No..

Here is an interesting article on what the limits are that are placed on NFL teams and things they are actively doing to address various social/legal/health issues: http://roselawgroupreporter.com/2013/11/man-ill-bash-head/

I will send one more that also discusses how various state or federal laws, not to mention the CBA, impact other personal issues. I will only make one other interesting point about laws impacting professional teams, since I live in Toronto, Ontario. Teams that play here come under Canadian laws, too. Even the Bills, who play some games here, are subject to those laws.

This second article is timely and relevant because it is about Michael Sam and what the laws can and cannot do: http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=443703

When there is proof that state or federal laws are broken, there are consequences for the NFL teams and others.

The NFL can't be in a bubble and subject to laws at the same time. While being an NFL player is a unique job description, those job descriptions are changing in ways that protect other players from harm so let's not suggest that NFL isn't a work place or that it isn't changing. The NFL is not an unfettered gladiator sport, nor is above the law.

Real Deal Steel
03-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Great post by you coach. But all those laws and rules are not the reality of what is truly going on. These laws and rules have been in place. And the culture still exist as it is because this game that we call football is derived from the basic, human (cave Manish) nature of man vs. man in the trenches. That's what wr all appreciate about the game at the core isn't it? If we wanted civilities, we'd go and watch a game of cricket and drink a little cup of tea afterwards.

You are missing the entire point. Part of the attraction of the game IS the violent, man vs. man aspect and you can only legislate do much of it unless you want to make the game something else entirely. With that said, players are not going to stop the way they've been going about their football profession their entire lives just because some sissy boy couldn't handle the toughness and ferocity of being a lineman. They will continue to wash out the weak of heart because THAT'S WHAT THIS GAME IS AT IT'S CORE!

And Martin's career is over. No one in that profession respects a man that cry's like a little girl. It's a gladiator sport in that aspect.It's not meant for everyone just because you have the measurables.
If your mentally weak, you get dominated. Like in prison. That's the harshness of that profession. That's why lineman like Deacon Jones, Conrad Dobler, Johnathan Ogden, Larry Allen, Mean Joe Green are so revered. They dominated you physically and mentally.
Now because wr got a guy who can't man up, were changing that? Your fooling yourself if you think washing out the weak is going to change in the NFL.