PDA

View Full Version : WR Article for upcoming draft. Nice read.

steelchamp204
02-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Position of need: Wide receiver

Unrestricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders is likely to receive an offer that the Steelers are unwilling to match and sign elsewhere. Even if Markus Wheaton is ready to step into the starting lineup after playing sparingly as a rookie and the Steelers re-sign No. 3 wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, they could still find room for a wide receiver, particularly one who is bigger than the ones they have on their roster and are projected to play regularly in 2014. The Steelers would make no bigger splash with the 15th overall pick than if they selected a tall wide receiver, something quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has long coveted.

2014 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE
NFL
The 2014 NFL scouting combine is Feb. 19-25 in Indianapolis.

Combine daily schedule
List of invitees
NFL draft home

Three players the Steelers might be targeting

Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State: Played just two seasons for the Seminoles but exploded onto the scene in 2013, catching 54 passes for 1,011 yards and an ACC-best 15 touchdown receptions. Benjamin may be the most intriguing player among the draft-eligible wide receivers because of his blend of size and athleticism and his upside, which may be the highest among the wideouts. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has Benjamin just eighth in his rankings of the top 10 wide receivers in the draft but no player could move up more based on what he does in Indianapolis. It will be interesting to see what his measurements are -- Benjamin is listed at 6-foot-4 7/8, 233 pounds -- as well as what he runs in the 40-yard dash. Benjamin doesn't lack the polish of other top wide receivers in the draft, which might make picking him at No. 15 overall risky. But if the Steelers don't get him in the first round they are unlikely to get another crack at Benjamin.

Mike Evans, Texas A&M: Johnny Manziel's primary target in college has already been linked to the Steelers by several draft analysts, and he may be the most attractive tall wide receiver in the draft. Evans, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, had two highly productive seasons at Texas A&M before declaring for the draft, and he is second on Kiper's rankings for wide receivers. Here is what Kiper wrote about Evans earlier this week: "I had a friend in one front office tell me he feels Evans has the best ball skills he's seen in 20 years. I won't go that far, but If Evans shows off mid-4.4 speed, we'll have teams debating the top wide receiver in this draft between him and [Sammy] Watkins." Like Benjamin, there are questions about Evans' speed, but no receiver in the draft is better in jump-ball situations or plays bigger than Evans, who had 69 catches for 1,394 yards and 12 touchdowns last season.

Allen Robinson, Penn State: It took him just two seasons to etch his name all over the Nittany Lions' record book for wide receivers, obliterating marks held by O.J. McDuffie and Bobby Engram, each of whom had lengthy and productive NFL careers. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder has good size and he uses the basketball skills that made him a Division I prospect in high school to make contested catches in traffic. Robinson is not among Kiper's top 10 wide receivers but that is a reflection of the depth at the position more than anything. The two-time Big Ten wide receiver of the year is a likely second-round pick though Robinson still has time to push his way into the first round, especially if he runs well as the combine. He could be an option for the Steelers in the second round if they don't pick a wide receiver at No. 15 overall and if Robinson, who caught 97 passes for 1,432 yards and six touchdowns last season, is still on the board.

steelchamp204
02-20-2014, 11:52 AM
You can't go wrong with either 3 I believe.

If Robinson in a 2nd or late first round, I would trade back to get him. He will have just as good of a career as the other two. Just sucks he wasn't on a contending BCS team or he would have gotten the same recognition.

SteelCityKid5
02-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Out of these 3:

1) Evans
2) Benjamin
3) Robinson

I would really like Evans but then again you don't know who's going to fall or if the Steelers are going to make a move.

steelchamp204
02-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Out of these 3:

1) Evans
2) Benjamin
3) Robinson

I would really like Evans but then again you don't know who's going to fall or if the Steelers are going to make a move.

I love Benjamin because he is tall and has an upside, I think Evans is the total package to some degree.

What I love about Robinson which I think he is better/equal than the other 2 at goes as follows.

1. He not that much smaller than either Evans/Benjamin
2. Solid hands
3. Way better route running
4. Fits the mold with WR screens/slants/double moves and can burn CBs
5. Better in the open field

To me, he is a more polished WR than Evans(even though Evans isn't a scrub) or Benjamin, kind of like M. Lee is coming out. The only thing that people overlook and want Evans/Benjamin is for the extra 1-2 inches maximum.

Take a look at Robinson tape on youtube or any other source that you can get to watch this kid. He attacks the ball in mid air like he is 6'7. He adjusts as good as any WR in the country with underthrown and bad passes.

YES, I AM A HOMER. But, this kid is getting way overlooked imho.

If the Steelers trade out of 15, Robinson will be a Steeler come draft day.

I would be happy with any of the 3, but I will get flamed for this.

1. Evans
2. Robinson
3. Marqise Lee
4. Mathews
5. Benjamin

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm a USC apologist but I don't want Marqise Lee in any way shape or form. It's Evans, Benjamin or Robinson for what we need at the WR position. I'm assuming the front office will breakdown the film and determine who fits best so whoever they go with, I"ll support.

coldrolled
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
This is the Steelers... Look for Mosley or Nix 1st , Safety 2nd, and Moncrief in the third

K Train
02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
I love Benjamin because he is tall and has an upside, I think Evans is the total package to some degree.

What I love about Robinson which I think he is better/equal than the other 2 at goes as follows.

2. Solid hands

To me, he is a more polished WR than Evans(even though Evans isn't a scrub) or Benjamin, kind of like M. Lee is coming out. The only thing that people overlook and want Evans/Benjamin is for the extra 1-2 inches maximum.

Take a look at Robinson tape on youtube or any other source that you can get to watch this kid. He attacks the ball in mid air like he is 6'7. He adjusts as good as any WR in the country with underthrown and bad passes.

1. Evans
2. Robinson
3. Marqise Lee
4. Mathews
5. Benjamin

I rank the WRs right now as

Sammy Watkins
Marqise Lee
Mike Evans
Donte Moncrief
Allen Robinson
Kelvin Benjamin
Jarvis Landry
Devante Adams
Jordan Matthews

steelchamp204
02-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I rank the WRs right now as

Sammy Watkins
Marqise Lee
Mike Evans
Donte Moncrief
Allen Robinson
Kelvin Benjamin
Jarvis Landry
Devante Adams
Jordan Matthews

Sorry I didnt put Watkins on there, I figured he will be gone by the 8th pick. Obviously, he is number 1 by far.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
From the NFL Combine:

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin measured 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine weigh-in.
He's actually six pounds heavier than his college listing. Benjamin's forty time will go a long way toward determining his draft slot in May. He averaged 18.7 yards per catch and scored 15 touchdowns as a 2013 redshirt sophomore.

Texas A&M WR Mike Evans measured 6-foot-4 3/4 and 231 pounds at Friday's NFL Combine weigh-in.
He's a fourth of an inch shorter than his college listing, but six pounds heavier. Drawing Vincent Jackson comparisons, Evans is expected to surprise when he runs his forty, perhaps clocking in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s. Still only 20 years old, Evans is virtual lock to be a top-15 selection in May's draft.

K Train
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Benjamin likely has a lot of creatine weight on him to look big and chiseled. I think hes going to run relatively slow. his calvin johnson frame is intriguing but that added weight might be to offset the fact that hes slow

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2014, 02:20 PM
From the Combine:

Clemson WR Sammy Watkins measured 6-foot 3/4 and 211 pounds at Friday's NFL Combine weigh-in.
He was listed at 6-foot-1, 205 at Clemson. So the size isn't a detriment. Watkins is a highly explosive, NFL-ready route runner with rare ability to blow past defensive backs in and out of breaks and create separation very early in pass patterns. He will be the first wide receiver chosen in May's draft.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Who's the best blocking TE coming out in the draft?

coldrolled
02-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Can Kelvin Block?

NeilPatrickBanana
02-21-2014, 03:50 PM

Troy Niklas is the best blocking TE as far as starter caliber TEs go. Guys who can make some plays in the passing game and not simply be a 6th oline.

if you are talking about a TE who will strictly be a blocking TE/6th oline type... then Arthur Lynch is probably the best

steelchamp204
02-21-2014, 06:19 PM

cj fiedorowicz

Big T
02-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Some time with Kelvin Benjamin
Ray Fittipaldo about 1 hour ago

The Steelers have a need for a big receiver and Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State could be a target in May. Benjamin met with reporters at the NFL combine today. Here is the transcript from his session with reporters:

What separates you from the other receivers?

"I just want to be physical but I try to be smart, too."

Who do you watch to get better?

"I watch a lot of receivers. I don’t just watch the big guys, I try to watch the little guys, too. You watch the smaller guys to imitate their quickness off the line. Some guys, that first step, you can learn a lot from watching them do that."

People say you’ve matured a lot the last few year, in what way have you matured?

"Just growing up and being a man. I’ve learned to do the things you have to do to be a man. Before I was basically just being a kid, doing kid things. Not putting in the work you need to put in to be a great receiver."

What turned that around?

"Just seeing the season we had (in 2012), knowing that we could have gone to a national championship, knowing that we left a lot out there. I just wanted to turn it around for the team, for the organization."

On the game-winning play in the title game

"It was a simple slant route. I knew Jimbo was coming back to me. Whenever there was a catch on the line or a touchdown on the line he was coming back to me and it was a slant route. I knew he (the DB) was thinking fade and so I tried to sell him on that fade route. Three steps out I got inside of him and just did what I do best, which is attack it at the highest point."

Did you jump before Winston threw that pass?

"Yeah. Sometimes I jump early. It throws the DB off. They go, oh man."

How do you compare Jameis to E.J. Manuel?

"You really can’t. They’re two totally different types of guys. But at the end of the day they care about the team. That’s what they care about most of all. And they care about their receivers. E.J. and Jameis, both of them, if you have an off the field problem, you can go to them and they’ll be there to talk to you. If you need to borrow a couple of bucks, they’ll give it to you. That’s the type of guys they are."

What did you measure and weigh?

"6-5, 240, 4-percent body fat."

What do you want to run?

"I’m pushing for 4.3, that’s my goal."

Do you try to emulate anyone in the NFL?

"I really just want to make my own identity. Be that player that a lot of these guys growing up want to be."

What sets you apart from the rest of the receivers in your class?

"Off the jam, I love press coverages."

You’re really good at making yards after the catch, what’s the key to that?

"First, catching it. That was one of my problems. Seeing the yards before, I start to run and I wound up dropping the ball. That’s something I really have to work on. Once you catch it, you just have to keep moving, keep your legs going and get up field and everything else will take care of itself."

Were you held back in grammar school?

"Yes, I was held back in first grade and third grade."

What do they call your hometown?

"Muck City, because of the rich soil."

And did you chase rabbits as a kid there?

"Yeah, everybody chased rabbits back in the day, when you were small. I mean, they were good to eat. They’re really good if you’ve never had them before. But that also helps you with speed and agility and stuff like that."

Big T
02-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Idk about 4.3 lol. I'll stay with what I said a couple weeks ago, mid-4.5s.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Idk about 4.3 lol. I'll stay with what I said a couple weeks ago, mid-4.5s.

If he runs anywhere in the 4.4 range... Holy ****... Watch out.

If he runs sub 4.55... You can lock him in as the guy I want over anyone else potentially available at our pick.

Raw talent is a risk... But like when I was talking up Alston Jeffrey in his draft class... Sometimes you have to be willing to take that risk on raw playmaking talent..we NEED that type of talent, and if we want it in this draft, at our position, we will have to take some risk.

Odell and Robinson are more polished for sure... And I think Robinson has a very high ceiling... But Benjamin has off the charts potential... And a bust like floor

"Go big or go home" lol

Big T
02-21-2014, 10:46 PM

If he runs sub 4.55... You can lock him in as the guy I want over anyone else potentially available at our pick.

Raw talent is a risk... But like when I was talking up Alston Jeffrey in his draft class... Sometimes you have to be willing to take that risk on raw playmaking talent..we NEED that type of talent, and if we want it in this draft, at our position, we will have to take some risk.

Odell and Robinson are more polished for sure... And I think Robinson has a very high ceiling... But Benjamin has off the charts potential... And a bust like floor

"Go big or go home" lol

Completely agree all the way around. If he runs in the 4.4s he'll be a top 10 pick. I'm all about Benjamin lol.

Mike Tomlin
02-22-2014, 01:04 AM

"Go big or go home" lol
I agree he's a gamble but like I said before we don't need him to be a complete receiver day one ,we need him to do what he does naturally and grow into a complete receiver. People that said he was just a jumpball guy didn't watch enough of his routes. I'll say it, yes he is Calvin Johnson-like at times I repeat Calvin Johnson-LIKE, he moves really well to be that big and his hands are bigger than most peoples heads. Just like Calvin grew to be who he is Kelvin will do the same. I could see him running a high 4.3 once but he is a 4.4 guy but that's if he's in great shape which I don't think he was last season.

Just like those who say Nix is a must because he fits the scheme, Kelvin fits our scheme because Haley always has the big receiver in his offense and because he's whats missing in THIS offense regardless of Haley. We don't need his game to be complete this year the other threats around him will bring what he's missing. Not having the pressure of being the number 1 he can really take advantage of those one on one match ups he'll see with Brown leading the lead in catches, Miller showing he'll be back to his old self, and Cotch racking up red-zone TD's this year.

Mike Tomlin
02-22-2014, 01:21 AM

2. Solid hands

1. Evans
2. Robinson
3. Marqise Lee
4. Mathews
5. Benjamin
I like Robinson I look at him as the closest we come to being able to draft Sammy Watkins, to me they kind of play alike. Haven't watched alot of either but from what i've seen they have the same type of game.

I like Evans but I think he is what he's going to be, i'm worried he might be maxed out. I can't see him getting much better in the league compared to Benjamin. Thats not a knock on Evans i'd just rather have Benjamin for a number of reasons.

I agree with Real Deal on Lee I would turn off the draft if that was the receiver we picked early , I mean they wouldn't care but it would make me feel good for those 5 minutes that it's off lol.

SuperSteelers
02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
It is Benjamin or bust.

Big T
02-22-2014, 07:33 PM
It is Benjamin or bust.

I wouldn't go that far lol. Though he's toward the top of my "realistic" wishlist.

steelchamp204
02-23-2014, 12:23 AM
It is Benjamin or bust.

Can you explain why?? If he wasn't 6'5, what else do you like about him more than any other receiver in the draft?

Just asking.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 12:50 AM
I will say that you guys are making a compelling argument for Benjamin. If he runs in the 4.4's, he would be the type of guy a team out the blue might move up for.

SCR
02-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Benjamin is very, very unpolished. Ceiling as high as anyone, but his floor is probably, I don't know, Stephen Hill? I'd prefer Evans/Robinson/Cooks over him.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm still in Evans camp right now. I want to see what he runs at the combine as well.

Big T
02-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Unofficial 4.59 for Benjamin on his first run. I had him a little faster but that's more or less what I expected. I know it's unofficial and it could go up or down, but I'm good with that.

Mike Tomlin
02-23-2014, 10:35 AM
I will say that you guys are making a compelling argument for Benjamin. If he runs in the 4.4's, he would be the type of guy a team out the blue might move up for.I hope he runs in the 4.5's even though he's faster on the field. if he runs a 4.4 we don't stand a chance of picking him at 15. SN. could you imagine Sammy Watkins on the other side of Calvin Johnson? They're finally in the position to get him some help.

Big T
02-23-2014, 10:39 AM
I hope he runs in the 4.5's even though he's faster on the field. if he runs a 4.4 we don't stand a chance of picking him at 15. SN. could you imagine Sammy Watkins on the other side of Calvin Johnson? They're finally in the position to get him some help.

I agree. I'm glad he didn't run a sub 4.5.

steelchamp204
02-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Coleman ran a 4.5 40. 6'6 225. Pretty damn good.

Big T
02-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Unofficial 4.50 on Mike Evans' 1st attempt.

Unofficial 4.53 on Benjamin's 2nd attempt.

Unofficial 4.47 on Mike Evans' 2nd attempt.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Unofficial 4.50 on Mike Evans' 1st attempt.

Unofficial 4.53 on Benjamin's 2nd attempt.

Unofficial 4.47 on Mike Evans' 2nd attempt.

What we expected so far.

ChucktownSteeler
02-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm in the minority here, but I think we need defensive help over WR. Not saying any of the WRs are bad, I just think our secondary is in shambles (unless we are planning to dabble in FA).

Big T
02-23-2014, 11:34 AM
What we expected so far.

Yep.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm in the minority here, but I think we need defensive help over WR. Not saying any of the WRs are bad, I just think our secondary is in shambles (unless we are planning to dabble in FA).

A WR in the 1st can have an impact on wins immediately... Highly unlikely a DB would. Gotta maximize these last 4-5 years with Ben.

We also have some developing talent like Cortez and Shamarko.

Cortez is experienced and will be moving into a starting role. Shamarko is his 2nd year could be a factor at NB.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM

Don't worry. I don't think your that much in the minority as you think. Because of the depth at the WR position, we could easily go defense with our first pick and everyone can see the logic in that as well. We definitely need to get a real pass rush from that D-line. And the nose tackle position (I don't care what anyone says) is at red alert status!

I fully expect JJ to be better and for Heyward to be better. Heyward started showing dominance at his position and the best way to help both him and JJ is to get a stud at the nose tackle position. Or...you can make the argument that another stud DE on the other side of Heyward would be great. But the D-line HAS TO BE ADDRESSED IN THIS DRAFT!

My dream would be for them to go WR with the first pick, and use the entire remaining draft on the defense! Use free agency to sprinkle in a veteran O-lineman and go from there.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 12:23 PM
But as of now, Mike Evans is looking like the pick to me.

Big T
02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Allen Robinson 1st run unofficial 4.60. Slower than I expected. 2nd run unofficial 4.56

Marqise Lee unofficial runs of 4.50 (slower than I expected) and 4.44 (about what I expected)

Jordan Matthews unofficial runs of 4.40 and 4.44. Impressive.

Sammy Watkins 1st run unofficial 4.34

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Watkins has locked himself in as the first WR off the board. I see him going to the bucs or lions.

Big T
02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Watkins has locked himself in as the first WR off the board. I see him going to the bucs or lions.

He's not making it to 10. Could go 2 overall if the rams don't go tackle or trade the pick.

Big T
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Moncrief with an unofficial 4.35. Very nice.

Big T
02-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Official 4.53 for Mike Evans
Official 4.52 for Marqise Lee
Official 4.40 for Moncrief
Official 4.43 for Watkins
Official 4.42 for Martavis Bryant

steelchamp204
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Im not worried about 40 times at all, I like the other drills that they have the Wideouts doing. Evans looked very impressive in them.

I recorded the rest, Ill watch tomorrow.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Im not worried about 40 times at all, I like the other drills that they have the Wideouts doing. Evans looked very impressive in them.

I recorded the rest, Ill watch tomorrow.

i actually thought Evans looked pretty bad in the gauntlet drill

marqise Lee is having a bad day...

Benjamin looks like a beast in drills

Cooks may have driven himself into the 1st round

Moncrief is having a great day in the testing, but still looks limited in game drills

allen robinson isn't having the type of day he hoped for either

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Official 4.53 for Mike Evans
Official 4.52 for Marqise Lee
Official 4.40 for Moncrief
Official 4.43 for Watkins
Official 4.42 for Martavis Bryant

what site/feed/twitter are you using for official times?

steelchamp204
02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
i actually thought Evans looked pretty bad in the gauntlet drill

marqise Lee is having a bad day...

Benjamin looks like a beast in drills

Cooks may have driven himself into the 1st round

Moncrief is having a great day in the testing, but still looks limited in game drills

allen robinson isn't having the type of day he hoped for either

I only saw the first two gauntlets for Evans and they were solid.

Im not buying into other guys having bad days, I know it's the combine. But 1 day isnt going to make/break anybody especially with the talents this WR group has.

Although, nobody will move up faster than Cooks, but he was a beast to begin with anyway at Oregon State.

Big T
02-23-2014, 03:08 PM
what site/feed/twitter are you using for official times?

They showed them on the broadcast (only talked about Evans'). Can't find Benjamin's. Mike Evans had a solid all around day, but I think Benjamin had an underrated day. I think he looked better in a number of drills than Evans did. Notably on the post-corner. Evans wasn't smooth as stumbled on the double move. Damn near perfect for Benjamin. Ran in the 4.5s. Ran the drills well.

I'd honestly be happy with either. Though I'm kinda seeing Evans taken ahead of us which is fine if it means we land Benjamin.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 03:15 PM
He's not making it to 10. Could go 2 overall if the rams don't go tackle or trade the pick.

as deep as the Wr corps is, can't see the Rams talking a WR with the overall number 2 pick. And considering what the Raiders need, I dont see him there either.

Rams have to protect Bradford; that will supercede Watkins; Matthews or Robinson is the pick.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
With Mike Williams displaying knucklehead tendencies, Bucs is where Watkins probably ends up.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Sammy Watkins with sixteen bench presses too. Damn. Hard to jam him.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 03:26 PM
They showed them on the broadcast (only talked about Evans'). Can't find Benjamin's. Mike Evans had a solid all around day, but I think Benjamin had an underrated day. I think he looked better in a number of drills than Evans did. Notably on the post-corner. Evans wasn't smooth as stumbled on the double move. Damn near perfect for Benjamin. Ran in the 4.5s. Ran the drills well.

I'd honestly be happy with either. Though I'm kinda seeing Evans taken ahead of us which is fine if it means we land Benjamin.

agreed

and the reality is the Benjamin is a much better fit for Haley's offense. think of Benjamin's game winning TD in the championship game...Dwayne Bow caught 15 TDs in Haleys offense, and half of them were on that type of route in the short red zone.... Boldin had 20 TDs in 07+08 in Haley's offense... and half of them were on that type of play.

Benjamin is a much better fit.

Big T
02-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Official numbers for the WRs:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24454235/nfl-combine-results-40-yard-dash-wide-receivers

Benjamin official: 4.61 (fine with me)

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Official numbers for the WRs:

Benjamin official: 4.61 (fine with me)

im interested in the 10 yd (off the line). He comes off the line well. We've known all along the his long speed is no more than average

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Steelers met with/to meet with at the combine:
Nix
Gilbert
Benjamin
A.Robinson
Moncrief
Ebron
K.Martin
K.Carey
K.Millard

Big T
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
He's not a WR, but Dri Archer clocked an official 4.26. Crazy.

Big T
02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Steelers met with/to meet with at the combine:
Nix
Gilbert
Benjamin
A.Robinson
Moncrief
Ebron
K.Martin
K.Carey
K.Millard

Good to see a few of those names on there. Notably Benjamin and Gilbert.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Seeing Millard's name on that list is nice too.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2014, 05:58 PM

And has looked awesome in drills... one of our board members has been pimping him for months. props

Big T
02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
And has looked awesome in drills... one of our board members has been pimping him for months. props

He really did. Looked better than De'Anthony Thomas did. I'd take a late round flyer. Get our #1 receiver off punt returns lol

Nolrog
02-23-2014, 06:54 PM

Wow. That's one of the top 10 (maybe top 5) times ever.

Big T
02-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Wow. That's one of the top 10 (maybe top 5) times ever.

At the combine. Chris Johnson has the record at the combine with 4.24.

Bo Jackson ran a 4.1-something and Ike Taylor was reported to have run a 4.18 at his pro day.

coldrolled
02-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Moncrief with an unofficial 4.35. Very nice.

There goes my third round sleeper.

Big T
02-23-2014, 10:16 PM
There goes my third round sleeper.

He was never really a sleeper. Very athletic guy but he's raw and disappears in some games. He should still be a third round guy, but could sneak into the 2nd.

steelchamp204
02-24-2014, 01:43 AM

I was all over this kid early in the season, I think he would be a very nice special back and ST returner. Kid CRUISES! I wouldnt take him any higher than the 5th though.

Big T
02-24-2014, 02:39 AM
I was all over this kid early in the season, I think he would be a very nice special back and ST returner. Kid CRUISES! I wouldnt take him any higher than the 5th though.

Ya 5th seems about right. Bring him in to be what Chris Rainey was supposed to be. Rainey was a 5th round pick.

WindyCityShaker
02-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Wow I've got to disagree there, about Benjamin being better in a number of drills. I can't say anything that's quantifiable, while Benjamin did look good, I just think that Evans looked more aggressive, a bit more smooth, more effortless, and I really don't think there's a question on the hands. Evans stumbled on the post corner but he was trying to stick it, you can tell he really wanted to nail it, just seemed like Benjamin played it a little safer overall. I still feel Evans>Benjamin, I know Benjamin's high ceiling, I'm just a guy who prefers a higher floor, especially at 15, but that's just me.

Oh and I'm still not ready for a WR in the first, especially with all the talent that was out there yesterday. Just prefer Evans over Benjamin.

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Oh and I'm still not ready for a WR in the first, especially with all the talent that was out there yesterday.

Totally understandable when you look at all the defensive talent around us at # 15.

Got a question for everyone:

Because of the defense that the Seahawks displayed the last couple of years and especially in this past post-season, do you guys think that there will be an "over the top" response now by teams in the draft with more defensive players being selected then previously thought?

Big T
02-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow I've got to disagree there, about Benjamin being better in a number of drills. I can't say anything that's quantifiable, while Benjamin did look good, I just think that Evans looked more aggressive, a bit more smooth, more effortless, and I really don't think there's a question on the hands. Evans stumbled on the post corner but he was trying to stick it, you can tell he really wanted to nail it, just seemed like Benjamin played it a little safer overall. I still feel Evans>Benjamin, I know Benjamin's high ceiling, I'm just a guy who prefers a higher floor, especially at 15, but that's just me.

Oh and I'm still not ready for a WR in the first, especially with all the talent that was out there yesterday. Just prefer Evans over Benjamin.

I don't think Evans makes it to 15 anymore. He had a better day than Benjamin did, absolutely. But he didn't blow him away like they were trying to make it seem. I'm all about Benjamin right now. But like I said, I'd be happy with either.

steelchamp204
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Well, this is what I am feeling up until today.

1. Justin Gilbert-CB OKS
2. Jordan Mathews-WR Vandy
3. Stanley Jean-Baptiste-CB Nebraska
4. Daniel McCullers-NT UT
5. Josh Mauro- DE Stanford
6. Dri Archer-RB Kent State
7. John Urschel-OG PSU

Big T
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM

1. Justin Gilbert-CB OKS
7. John Urschel-OG PSU

I think most of us would welcome a draft like this. Jordan Matthews really helped himself yesterday.

steelchamp204
02-24-2014, 04:27 PM
I think most of us would welcome a draft like this. Jordan Matthews really helped himself yesterday.

I like this McCullers kid. Yes, he can probably lose about 15-20 pounds, but lets be realistic. Is it worth drafting Nix in the first to be a 2 down NT?? I mean seriously, especially how offenses are spreading out defenses more often than not. Plus, I think McCullers is great in run support.

I think Mathews is there at 44 in the 2nd, I have a feeling. He makes everything look so effortless on tape and drills, plau he is a solid 6-3-6'4

Big T
02-24-2014, 04:34 PM
And he ran an official 4.46.

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2014, 05:33 PM
I like this McCullers kid. Yes, he can probably lose about 15-20 pounds, but lets be realistic. Is it worth drafting Nix in the first to be a 2 down NT?? I mean seriously, especially how offenses are spreading out defenses more often than not. Plus, I think McCullers is great in run support.

I think Mathews is there at 44 in the 2nd, I have a feeling. He makes everything look so effortless on tape and drills, plau he is a solid 6-3-6'4

If they pulled this draft off, I think there would be a Steeler Nation consensus that we did a hell of a job.

**** Big T, you think Evans put himself in the top 10 with his combine performance? I think that he basically just solidified his position that he won't get past the top 16. I can't see him in the top 10; not with possibly 4 teams needing a QB, then factoring in Clowney, Robinson and Matthews. And Watkins is a lock in the top 10 too.

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Okay, then. So in that case, who unexpectedly slides down??

steelchamp204
02-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Okay, then. So in that case, who unexpectedly slides down??

I think Dennard/Gilbert will be there at 15. Can't go wrong either way except that Gilbert has returned kicks and has a little more size.

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I do covet Gilbert's size. Your right about that.

K Train
02-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Mcclullers is so terrible.

Evans dazzled with his time, im exremely impressed.

I am infatuated with Moncrief and Watkins though

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Watkins yes. Moncrief? Nawwwww..

ChucktownSteeler
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM

1. Justin Gilbert-CB OKS
7. John Urschel-OG PSU

This wouldn't bother me. The secondary needs rebuilt. Anyone remember the draft that brought us Woodson, Delton Hall, and Thomas Everrett with the top 4 picks. Once again I think we need to concentrate on the secondary.