PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter named assistant defensive coach.

steelchamp204
02-11-2014, 10:12 AM
The Steelers have named Joey Portera defensive assistant coach, it was announced today.

“We are excited about having Joey back with the Steelers’ family,” said Head Coach Mike Tomlin. “Joey spent a number of years with Pittsburgh as a player, and now he’s back to assist the coaching staff. We look forward to his efforts and contributions.”

Porter is entering his 14th season in the NFL, and his first as a coach. The former outside linebacker was originally drafted by the Steelers in the third round (73rd overall) for the 1999 NFL Draft. Porter started 171-of-188 career games, spending time with Pittsburgh (1999-2006), the Miami Dolphins (2007-09) and the Arizona Cardinals (2010-11). For his career, Porter registered 98 sacks, 721 tackles (552 solo), 25 forced fumbles, 12 interceptions, nine fumble recoveries, three touchdowns and one safety. He recorded 60 sacks as a member of the Steelers, which rank fifth in franchise history.

He was selected to four Pro Bowls (2002, ’04, ’05, ’08), named All-Pro four times and was a member of the NFL’s All-Decade Team for the 2000’s. When he registered his 70th career sack during the 2008 season, he became the first NFL player with 10 career interceptions and 70 career sacks. Porter was the only NFL player to have registered at least five sacks in each season between 2000-10. During that time he recorded at least nine sacks six times.

Porter started all 11 postseason games he played in, with all but one coming as a member of the Steelers, including helping Pittsburgh to a victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. He registered six sacks, 50 tackles (34 solo) and one forced fumble in his postseason career

steelchamp204
02-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Hopefully he brings his attitude also, and it rubs off on some of the guys.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Interesting.... I guess I never saw Porter as a future coach type.

steelchamp204
02-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Interesting.... I guess I never saw Porter as a future coach type.

I think he can do fine. Not saying he is the next DL by any stretch, but I think he will be able to improve JJ/Worilds. He can still probably pad up fitness wise lol

LatrobePA
02-11-2014, 11:38 AM

This... Some fire in the belly!

steelchamp204
02-11-2014, 12:36 PM
This... Some fire in the belly!

I wouldnt be shocked if we saw Porter trash talking on the 50 yard line with his shirt halfway up his stomach lmfao.

WindyCityShaker
02-11-2014, 12:38 PM
I think he can do fine. Not saying he is the next DL by any stretch, but I think he will be able to improve JJ/Worilds. He can still probably pad up fitness wise lol

He's still capable of getting in some faces if necessary. It's good I think that you have a player of his caliber and intensity delivering the message, the respect factor should definitely be there.

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I just want my old, mean Steelers defense back and I'm so desperate for it that I don't care how we get it back.

coldrolled
02-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I wouldnt be shocked if we saw Porter trash talking on the 50 yard line with his shirt halfway up his stomach lmfao.

Nice.

chisteeler
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
"They shot me in Denver!"

Dean Denton
02-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Wasn't it Tomlin who ran him out of town when he took over? Pretty sure Cowher did the same thing to Mean Joe... then he was brought back.

Big T
02-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Wasn't it Tomlin who ran him out of town when he took over? Pretty sure Cowher did the same thing to Mean Joe... then he was brought back.

He was a cap casualty. And his replacement was better.

FlatsSteeler
02-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Doesn't anybody find it at least a little interesting that they hire a LB coach when the Heir Apparent DC is the current LB coach and you have Jerry Olsavsky already on staff ......I have a feeling their will be more to this story in the very near future.......

ChucktownSteeler
02-12-2014, 09:37 AM

I may be wrong, but I don't remember Cowher running off Mean Joe.

Mean Joe retired circa 1981.

coldrolled
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Doesn't anybody find it at least a little interesting that they hire a LB coach when the Heir Apparent DC is the current LB coach and you have Jerry Olsavsky already on staff ......I have a feeling their will be more to this story in the very near future.......

DL said when he is done golfing this winter he will know if he will retire.

ChucktownSteeler
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM
DL said when he is done golfing this winter he will know if he will retire.

Seriously? I think he owed the Steelers that decision right after the season ended.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

boy do I want your speculation to come true....

FlatsSteeler
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
boy do I want your speculation to come true....
Speculation for sure but it sure sounds like a Steeler FO move......

Big T
02-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Seriously? I think he owed the Steelers that decision right after the season ended.

No. Coldrolled is being sarcastic. He can't mention LeBeau without mentioning golf for some reason

TarlsQtr
02-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Porter was not hired as the LB coach, although I suspect he will be working with them.

TarlsQtr
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Ed Bouchette on Porter:
Ed Bouchette: I don't think they hired Joey Porter to look ahead to Keith Butler becoming their next defensive coordinator. In fact, Jerry Olsavsky, Porter's former teammate, also is a coach and looked to be their next LB coach.

Now, that does not mean he knows any more than we do. If you remember, we never heard a word about Bicknell basically just collecting paychecks for half a season either. It is not like there is real journalism going on over there at the PPG.

Dean Denton
02-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't remember Cowher running off Mean Joe.

Mean Joe retired circa 1981.
I think Joe was the dline coach and if I remember correctly Cowher said he let him go because he felt that joe cast a shadow over the team.

ChucktownSteeler
02-13-2014, 10:12 AM
I think Joe was the dline coach and if I remember correctly Cowher said he let him go because he felt that joe cast a shadow over the team.

Could be, I thought you meant as a player.

Stone
02-17-2014, 01:08 PM

And a little more than the single digit IQ he had when he played. This scares the **** out of me!

Big T
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
And a little more than the single digit IQ he had when he played. This scares the **** out of me!

Joey wasn't stupid. He was a loud mouth who sometimes spoke when he shouldn't, but he could play the position. He should be especially helpful in Jarvis Jones' development since Joey was never the biggest guy either.

And I'm not sure why it would "scare the **** out of" you anyway. He's not the defensive coordinator. He's pretty much been brought in to give the LBs some pointers.

Stone
02-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Joey wasn't stupid. He was a loud mouth who sometimes spoke when he shouldn't, but he could play the position. He should be especially helpful in Jarvis Jones' development since Joey was never the biggest guy either.

And I'm not sure why it would "scare the **** out of" you anyway. He's not the defensive coordinator. He's pretty much been brought in to give the LBs some pointers.

It scares me because our coaching staff is gathering too many hotheads, big-mouths, and guys who's personality gets in the way of the organization. See my signature:lol: