PDA

View Full Version : Okay..Who's going to win it and why?

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Okay..Let's have some fun

This is the match up that most wanted to see. Best defense vs. Best Offense. Who do you think is going to win and tell me why you think their going to win?

And based on your theories, give me the final score too.

K Train
01-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I think seattle wins it. I ****ing love richard sherman, nice to see a player who doesnt give vanilla answers to questions. If someone wants sherman to shut up they are going to have to make him, he is just dominant out there

24-17 hawks win the the cold

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I too think Seattle wins it. I see the Seahawks as the only secondary in the league that can slow down the Broncos 5 receivers and still put a pass rush on an immobile Peyton Manning.

I also think that Seahawks will be able to run the ball on the Broncos. Maybe not right away but they have an attitude that eventually they will crack your front 4 and run on you. In a bad weather game, you need a defense and a running game. Sounds like Seahawks to me.

24-16 Seahawks.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2014, 03:04 PM
I too think Seattle wins it. I see the Seahawks as the only secondary in the league that can slow down the Broncos 5 receivers and still put a pass rush on an immobile Peyton Manning.

I also think that Seahawks will be able to run the ball on the Broncos. Maybe not right away but they have an attitude that eventually they will crack your front 4 and run on you. In a bad weather game, you need a defense and a running game. Sounds like Seahawks to me.

24-16 Seahawks.

I agree......Lynch going to be Super Bowl MVP........

LatrobePA
01-20-2014, 03:16 PM
I honestly don't think Manning has seen a secondary like this one. I can see him struggling and Wilson making plays with his legs to win this one. I'm thinking a close game but Wilson being the difference.

LatrobePA
01-20-2014, 03:17 PM
I agree......Lynch going to be Super Bowl MVP........

It's gonna be raining Skittles! LOL I freaking love that!

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
It's gonna be raining Skittles! LOL I freaking love that!

If it's raining skittles, Lynch better watch out for Lamar Odom coming around and stealing his skittles. LOL

Nolrog
01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm not sold on Wilson in the SB. From a confidence factor (you know what I mean if you listen to Mike and Mike) I have far more confidence in Peyton than Wilson. The cold may be a factor, but Wilson has to play in it as well. And while I do agree that Denver hasn't come up against a defense like Seattle, it's also true that Seattle hasn't come up against an offense like Denver.

I think the teams match up well though and it should be a good game. I give Denver the edge because of Manning (and I think the cold aspect is over rated). So I say Denver wins, 27-21.

Rocky#20
01-20-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm not sold on Wilson in the SB. From a confidence factor (you know what I mean if you listen to Mike and Mike) I have far more confidence in Peyton than Wilson. The cold may be a factor, but Wilson has to play in it as well. And while I do agree that Denver hasn't come up against a defense like Seattle, it's also true that Seattle hasn't come up against an offense like Denver.

I think the teams match up well though and it should be a good game. I give Denver the edge because of Manning (and I think the cold aspect is over rated). So I say Denver wins, 27-21.

I pretty much agree with this, I pick the Broncos 27-17. I just can't see Manning turning the ball over 3 or 4 times and that is what it will take for the Seahawks to win.

Big T
01-20-2014, 05:41 PM
I say the broncos take it but it should be a fantastic game. 24-17 Denver.

The whole thing about Crabtree trying to fight Sherman at a charity event last yer makes his post and interview more understandable lol. I thought he was just being a ****ing idiot (which he was for the most part lol), but it's clear that there was some personal **** going in with them. He's too much, but you have to respect someone that backs up all his **** talk. It's just sooooo much lol

ChucktownSteeler
01-20-2014, 06:04 PM
It all favors Seattle, but I am pulling for the Broncos. I would love to see Champ Bailey get a ring.

steelchamp204
01-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Defense wins championships.

Seattles secondary WILL shut down Welker/Thomas and Thomas. Plus, that defense won't confuse itself with Peytons line calls. They will play them the same way we played the Colts in 2005.

Wilson/Baldwin and Lynch have big days for the offense of Seattle.

23-20 Seahawks.

coldrolled
01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I watched Seattle beat a fast moving Kaepernick.... Manning cant move.... he will need to.. with seattles solid DB coverage.. If Seattle holds down the passing attack even 50% of a denver normal... they should win... If not the NFL gets its big Manning win... It would look better for Manning to have 2 SB wins for his HOF stats. Its all good its not NE or SF .. so either way for me is fine.

skyhawk
01-21-2014, 01:33 AM
Sure, Denver hasn't seen the likes of a Seahawk D, but the Hawks haven't seen the likes of a Payton Manning and D Thomas.

And personally I want the Hawks to lose. Their delusional fans think they are owed the Lombardi trophy. I know, I live in Seattle. Most bandwagon city ever. And even this year there fans walk by our Steelers bar contingent and heckel us about getting ripped off in the SB.

norcojim
01-21-2014, 02:25 AM
Sure, Denver hasn't seen the likes of a Seahawk D, but the Hawks haven't seen the likes of a Payton Manning and D Thomas.

And personally I want the Hawks to lose. Their delusional fans think they are owed the Lombardi trophy. I know, I live in Seattle. Most bandwagon city ever. And even this year there fans walk by our Steelers bar contingent and heckel us about getting ripped off in the SB.

I'm sick of the whole Manning family. From toothless Archie on down the line. Hoping Peyton gets slammed to the turf on his first series and then continues downhill from there. Question Seattle's play calling though. That last game Wilson should have been given plays that would let him get rid of the ball sooner.

SuperSteelers
01-21-2014, 02:45 AM
No disrespect RDS, but I don't give a flying you know what who is going to win the game. I would much rather read all the Steelers haters on this forum bash each about Steeler stuff than talk and/or read about any other NFL teams.

steelchamp204
01-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Goodell will make sure Manning wins.

There will be more flags in this game than what we have seen all postseason.:yellowthumb:

coldrolled
01-21-2014, 07:52 AM

There will be more flags in this game than what we have seen all postseason.:yellowthumb:

Refs could be in on things.... There was a slew of calls just before Manning would have made the game "27-10" and then had to back up and settle for a field goal. Those calls on Mannings OL were not the norm for Denver. Wasnt sure if it was helping Brady or Vegas.

TarlsQtr
01-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Refs could be in on things.... There was a slew of calls just before Manning would have made the game "27-10" and then had to back up and settle for a field goal. Those calls on Mannings OL were not the norm for Denver. Wasnt sure if it was helping Brady or Vegas.

Oh, come on now. The NFL is worth billions. It is not going to risk that type of money to "help" Vegas, Brady, Manning, or anyone. Bad calls happen in every single game and we tend to notice the ones that go against people/teams we like or for people/teams we do not like.

There is an old saying that once a second person is told, it is no longer a secret. What you suggest, if systemic like you imply rather than a single game affair, would mean hundreds of officials, league employees, team owners, etc. would have to know and be willing to keep quiet. It would take only one honest or disgruntled employee to bring the entire house of cards down, including league credibility and those billions (not to mention, Goodell, the officials, and everyone involved going to prison).

That is not happening.

Also, keep in mind that NFL officials are part-time employees. They have jobs as bankers, lawyers, etc. Most do not need the job. They do it because they like to. It is absurd to think that a slew of them, if ever approached by a league employee instructing them to cheat, would not say "get bent" and talk to the press. 1) As I said, they do not need the NFL job. 2) Many would also lose the job they count on to put food on the table if it ever became public that they were involved in such conduct.

Real Deal Steel
01-21-2014, 10:02 AM
No disrespect RDS, but I don't give a flying you know what who is going to win the game. I would much rather read all the Steelers haters on this forum bash each about Steeler stuff than talk and/or read about any other NFL teams.

No disrespect taken my friend. We all know exactly how you feel. I wish like hell our team was in this game.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Oh God, Seahawks fans and flags....lol Seattle might explode from all the whining if they feel the refs screwed them again in the Super Bowl...lol

ChucktownSteeler
01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't it be somewhat ironic and comical if the Seahags lost on a controversial call or am I just bitter?

JensK
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Wouldn't it be somewhat ironic and comical if the Seahags lost on a controversial call or am I just bitter?

That would cause a new civil war!

Forged in Steel
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Defense wins championships.

Not in the Goodell Football League...

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
That's a great Harbaugh clip. I'll never forget that game. It was a nail biter at the end. But I'm glad we stuck it to him then too.

steelchamp204
01-22-2014, 03:48 PM
This game reminds me of the 2005 game with the Steelers vs. Colts. Hardly anyone was giving the Steelers credit or picking them to win.

Manning was unbeatable and the Steelers Defense wouldnt get to him. Manning will audible out and confuse the Steelers defense.

I think Seattle wins this SB. Seattles offense just needs to get 24 points. Thats the issue.

coldrolled
01-22-2014, 05:40 PM
The QB will be running wild in this one... Go Hawks...

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Broncos win. One word: Omaha.

Mike Tomlin
01-23-2014, 01:05 AM
The Seahawks ,because Peyton is who we think he is ..... and Seattle won't let him off the hook.

skyhawk
01-27-2014, 11:39 PM
eir
Bitter? Try living in Seattle. Can't wait for them to lose! But get ready for the excuses! I am so sick of their fans and they are still whining about the SB.

Fast forward to now: Is it me or are the Seahawks DBs the most cocky and overconfident group you have ever seen? It just is sickening watching all of it here in Seattle.

Whathehadas
01-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Seattle fans can whine all they want about that SB in 05. It's a done deal....their team lost. They should just move on. This SB is for their redemption. Win this and they can brag about it instead of complaining of some bad calls. As Steeler fans, why hate on Seattle in either case? Hell they will never say that their team has 5 Lombardis

skyhawk
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Seattle fans can whine all they want about that SB in 05. It's a done deal....their team lost. They should just move on. This SB is for their redemption. Win this and they can brag about it instead of complaining of some bad calls. As Steeler fans, why hate on Seattle in either case? Hell they will never say that their team has 5 Lombardis

Screw Seattle fans. You don't live here. It's been a daily game day event for the past EIGHT seasons where I get some comment from a Seahawk fan. I just wink and nod at them like Big Ben reacted to the trash talk in his first few years.

Oh, and you FAIL!

It's 6 Lombardi's!!!!! ;)

Big T
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Screw Seattle fans. You don't live here. It's been a daily game day event for the past EIGHT seasons where I get some comment from a Seahawk fan. I just wink and nod at them like Big Ben reacted to the trash talk in his first few years.

Oh, and you FAIL!

It's 6 Lombardi's!!!!! ;)

Lol I loved that. In the playoffs if I recall correctly. "Wink and a smile. They don't know how to respond to that." Lol

skyhawk
01-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Lol I loved that. In the playoffs if I recall correctly. "Wink and a smile. They don't know how to respond to that." Lol

Right? It took me a while to learn how to do that, it really did, cuz I am pretty passionate. Our Steelers group tries to take the high ground and ignores their taunts and just watches the games. It's hard to sometimes, trust me. Like Marvin the Martian - "ooooooooh, that makes me so angry......Very angry indeed!"

At times I have to get in their faces for fun. Can't help. Esp after a few beers. I tell em how delusional they are ;)

coldrolled
01-30-2014, 05:28 AM

Bad Calls... How about no calls... Wait till Monday if the refs let the Denver OL hold the entire game. Seattle will go through the roof.

Real Deal Steel
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
No need.

Seahawks got that @ss and I took advantage of a football fan who doesn't know football and was enamored with offense. When defense wins championships. 300 bucks richer. LOL

North Steel
02-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Wow, now that was a relentless defense. Reminded me of Steelers of old.

Real Deal Steel
02-02-2014, 11:22 PM
That's the fastest defense I've seen since the old Jimmy Johnson Cowboys defenses. But the Seahawks may be faster.

Anyway, atleast this puts to rest all this , "Peyton the greatest of all time" talk. He's not even the best QB of his era. Let alone all time. Championships are not won by regular season achievements.

The AFC Conference is down in fielding a legit defense. Peyton didn't see any real defenses all season. But in the NFC west, the 49ers, Seahawks, Cardinals and Rams all play good to great defense.

And with the 49ers and Seahawks being young, Peyton is going to see one or the other for the next couple of years at least so he can forget about winning another ring.

Steeler4life
02-02-2014, 11:24 PM
NFL tweaks their rules season after season to create a passing, scoring league. It's been working until now. Their prized gem just got turned into a snooze fest,

Congrats to the Seahawks for figuring it out. Next up for Goodell, go to bed tonight and dreaming up ways to eliminate the pass rush all together.

steelchamp204
02-03-2014, 12:37 AM
I stated on the 1/2 page. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Rhys Lightning 63
02-03-2014, 06:32 AM
The AFC Conference is down in fielding a legit defense. Peyton didn't see any real defenses all season. But in the NFC west, the 49ers, Seahawks, Cardinals and Rams all play good to great defense.

And with the 49ers and Seahawks being young, Peyton is going to see one or the other for the next couple of years at least so he can forget about winning another ring.

You'll never guess, but the AFC West has to play the NFC West next year. So Peyton will have to go up against ALL FOUR of them

coldrolled
02-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Cover corners and ball hawking S's We need them bad in this draft.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I think it's a shame how many silly agenda talking points are being generated after such a great game.

Agenda # 1
Peyton Manning is not the greatest QB of all time because he lost this super bowl (insert post season record, bla bla)
Reality
There is no conversation about the greatest QB of all time that does not include Peyton Manning. It's a parity league. NOT winning the super bowl every year is not a criticism.

I agree with something Mayock said this morning, No QB would've won that game last night. You can take any QB in history, plug him into the Broncos lineup... and they still lose.

Agenda #2
Russel Wilson just became "Not a running QB"... because people have to further the myth that running QBs can't win the big one.
Reality
The mobile QB is here to stay, The QB who makes plays in the running game is here to stay... the reality is that the statue pocket QB is the dying breed. You need to be of the most elite level (Peyton, Brady), to win consistently from the pocket. The running/mobile/outside the pocket QB is the one who is harder to defend, and can adjust to what a defense does best.

Agenda #3
Watch how quickly everyone flips the script from the previous myth of "it's a passing league, they don't want defense, bla bla blah".... to the complete opposite myth of "defense wins championships".
Reality
Football is a complex game with great amounts of variation. The best teams execute their game plans consistently. What Seattle showed everyone is that you cannot be 1 dimensional... you can't even be 2 dimensional... you need to be great across the board. The stop the run, they rush the passer, they cover everyone... the run the ball, the throw the ball all over the field, they use their talent, they commit to special teams... they were the total package.

LatrobePA
02-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Was refreshing seeing a defensive team win! Goodell is all about the offense and this slammed the door shut on that, at least for now!

steelchamp204
02-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Was refreshing seeing a defensive team win! Goodell is all about the offense and this slammed the door shut on that, at least for now!

The past superbowls have been won by good defensive teams. Except for the Saints the past 8 years.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-03-2014, 12:31 PM
The past superbowls have been won by good defensive teams. Except for the Saints the past 8 years.

myth

Baltimore 2012
Total Def Yds - 17th
Total Def Pts - 13th

NY Giants 2011
Total Def Yds - 27th
Total Def Pts - 25th

New Orleans 2009
Total Def Yds - 25th
Total Def Pts - 20th

NY Giants 2007
Total Def Yds - 7th
Total Def Pts - 20th

Indianapolis 2006
Total Def Yds - 21st
Total Def Pts - 23rd

steelchamp204
02-03-2014, 01:07 PM
myth

Baltimore 2012
Total Def Yds - 17th
Total Def Pts - 13th

NY Giants 2011
Total Def Yds - 27th
Total Def Pts - 25th

New Orleans 2009
Total Def Yds - 25th
Total Def Pts - 20th

NY Giants 2007
Total Def Yds - 7th
Total Def Pts - 20th

Indianapolis 2006
Total Def Yds - 21st
Total Def Pts - 23rd

Really don't care what numbers say, the DEFENSE showed up in them superbowls to stop the All mighty Pats offense and the unstoppable Broncos.

You missed the point where I excluded the Saints.

Real Deal Steel
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Saints were in the top 10 in defense that year too. Leading the league in turnovers too.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2014, 01:23 PM
The Colts defense was garbage in the 2006 regular season but they stepped up as a unit in the 2006 post-season.......Peyton wasn't exactly stellar in that post-season but his comeback vs the Pats in the AFC title game was classic and really Peyton's shining moment of his post-season career.......

The Saints 2009 defense wasn't great by no means but they did come up with huge turn overs all season..........

I disagree bigtime that any QB in NFL history would have lost that game as the Broncos starting QB last night.....Peyton stunk last night and really how can anybody make any excuse for him........

Real Deal Steel
02-03-2014, 01:25 PM
It's simple:

When Peyton is pressured, he throws picks.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
But I do agree that having an all around solid team is really the way to go........Game was out of hand before Russell Wilson really did anything....Yes I know he was good on 3rd downs all game and I'm not knocking him....Just saying the Seahawks have the best all around and deepest team in the NFL......It showed last night........

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2014, 01:27 PM
It's simple:

When Peyton is pressured, he throws picks.

Yea when Peyton has to move his feet he isn't the same.......That goes for many true classic pocket QBs......

NeilPatrickBanana
02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
But I do agree that having an all around solid team is really the way to go........Game was out of hand before Russell Wilson really did anything....Yes I know he was good on 3rd downs all game and I'm not knocking him....Just saying the Seahawks have the best all around and deepest team in the NFL......It showed last night........

But you are knocking him

Seattle has an incredible team across the board... but the constant that keeps everything going is Wilson (as Carrol said)...

NeilPatrickBanana
02-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Really don't care what numbers say, the DEFENSE showed up in them superbowls to stop the All mighty Pats offense and the unstoppable Broncos.

You missed the point where I excluded the Saints.

You said:

There's a big difference between good defensive teams (as proven over a good period of time - like a season) and team's playing a good defensive game in the super bowl.

I didn't miss any point... you just articulated your point very poorly.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Saints were in the top 10 in defense that year too. Leading the league in turnovers too.

New Orleans 2009
Total Def Yds - 25th
Total Def Pts - 20th

steelchamp204
02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
You said:

There's a big difference between good defensive teams (as proven over a good period of time - like a season) and team's playing a good defensive game in the super bowl.

I didn't miss any point... you just articulated your point very poorly.

Yep.:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-04-2014, 12:52 AM
But you are knocking him

Seattle has an incredible team across the board... but the constant that keeps everything going is Wilson (as Carrol said)...

Think what you want......Fact remains Wilson really wasn't much of a factor until the game was already out of hand....I just find it funny how Ben use to be knocked for being a game manager but now Russell Wilson is praised for it......

Dean Denton
02-04-2014, 03:50 AM
I watched Seattle beat a fast moving Kaepernick.... Manning cant move.... he will need to.. with seattles solid DB coverage.. If Seattle holds down the passing attack even 50% of a denver normal... they should win... If not the NFL gets its big Manning win... It would look better for Manning to have 2 SB wins for his HOF stats. Its all good its not NE or SF .. so either way for me is fine.
I'm the same way. As long as NE or SF don't win a super bowl I'm happy. Well, I'm only hating on them because of a questionable history. Once NE gets a new QB and coach I don't care. As of now, only two teams I hate. Also I don't want any team having as many rings as us. This goes for the cowboys too but I don't hate them.

Well, I picked Denver over Seattle 30-20, but felt it could go either way. Never did I think Denver was going to get trucked like that. If I had to bet my life on the game I would have put it in Peyton's hands to shut everyone up. Now, living in Seattle do you all want to guess the SH!T storm of crap I'm having to deal with? "Best defense in the history of football!" 85 Bears aren't sh!t, and we'd own those pó$$ies!!!!" Blah blah blah.... If they win again you can bet they're gonna start saying better then our 70's Steelers. I see it now. Great!!!! And you all thought I was crazy for saying I would root for any AFC north team over Seattle. Never happen, not while I'm living here anyways.

What pisses me off the most is the steelers have been solid, in the hunt almost every year since I started watching back in 79 and Seattle has been pretty much a .500 ball club since 76 with maybe six 10+ win seasons, then they get this. Wtf??? Seems unfair and I hope they fall on their face. These fake a$$ fans that just came out of no where all of a sudden love football. If there are football gods they all smoke crack or the pacific northwest is about to fall in the ocean. I hate freaking football right now and I would sell my soul if the steelers beat them in the super bowl next year. **** on the Hawks....

Dean Denton
02-04-2014, 03:59 AM
Think what you want......Fact remains Wilson really wasn't much of a factor until the game was already out of hand....I just find it funny how Ben use to be knocked for being a game manager but now Russell Wilson is praised for it......
Agreed. Wilson averaged 160 yards the last six games he played. At least half the QB's in the league could have won with that defense, if not all of them.And yes, Tebow too. Hell, their offense didn't even need to step on the field. I'd take any of the new, young top QB's over Wilson.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-04-2014, 09:14 AM

I find the exact opposite to be funny

igor0190
02-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Yea when Peyton has to move his feet he isn't the same.......That goes for many true classic pocket QBs......

Peyton is always moving his feet in big games even when there's no pressure. He has "happy feet". He gets nervous and scared out there which is why he has so much trouble in big games.

I enjoyed every second of this Superbowl. I love defensive football, hate everything the NFL has done to increase scoring and making it a passing game, and I thoroughly dislike peyton.

Real Deal Steel
02-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Agreed. Wilson averaged 160 yards the last six games he played. At least half the QB's in the league could have won with that defense, if not all of them.And yes, Tebow too. Hell, their offense didn't even need to step on the field. I'd take any of the new, young top QB's over Wilson.

But looking at it like that, this was only Wilson's second season. He'll only get better. Meaning the Seahawks (if essential personnel is retained) could be even better in the next two-three seasons.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-04-2014, 10:23 AM
But looking at it like that, this was only Wilson's second season. He'll only get better. Meaning the Seahawks (if essential personnel is retained) could be even better in the next two-three seasons.

Seattle is going to have a very difficult time keeping their insanely talented and deep roster in tact....

Russell Wilson counted 680k against the cap... that's about to go up to 10 million, with a long term number that touches the 20s in average.

Richard Sherman counted 600k against the cap... he's going to be looking at a Revis type of contract that averages AT LEAST 10 million per season...

Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse and Golden Tate counted UNDER 2 million COMBINED....

They can keep most of this team together for 2014... but after that, they are going to have to start making tough choices
(of course they could easily continue their extraordinary drafting and supplement the talent they are going to lose.

steelchamp204
02-04-2014, 10:43 AM
I love all the dynasty talk after 1 SB win. If they win 2 in 3-4 years. Then bring up the Dynasty talk.

So tired of hearing Dynasty every year after a team wins a SB. The Steelers had a chance and the Pats were in the early 2000s. A dynasty to me is 3 SB win in 3-6 years.

I'm not hating on the Seahawks. I was rooting for them, but I think the dynasty talk in very premature. Especially with Seattle and the NFC West division.

Real Deal Steel
02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
What dynasty talk? Who was talking Dynasty after the Ravens won last year? Or after the Giants won the year before??

I don't know what your talking about. But the Seahawks are so young that that is the reason why this came up.

But on the other hand, who wants to talk about a dynasty AFTER it's passed? It's always fun to talk about it right at the beginning of it.

And barring injury, the Seahawks should be right there in the final four teams next season.

TarlsQtr
02-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Seattle is going to have a very difficult time keeping their insanely talented and deep roster in tact....

Russell Wilson counted 680k against the cap... that's about to go up to 10 million, with a long term number that touches the 20s in average.

Richard Sherman counted 600k against the cap... he's going to be looking at a Revis type of contract that averages AT LEAST 10 million per season...

Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse and Golden Tate counted UNDER 2 million COMBINED....

They can keep most of this team together for 2014... but after that, they are going to have to start making tough choices
(of course they could easily continue their extraordinary drafting and supplement the talent they are going to lose.

To me, the bolded part is the only way one can build a dynasty these days. It takes year after year of drafting well to stay on top. People here talk about the Steelers being left behind the "new NFL" and need to use free agency but actually that is the old and antiquated thinking. To win consistently, you do not need the "best" player at positions, you need value up and down your roster. For instance, few would doubt that Calvin Johnson is better than AB but AB has more value. Johnson's cap hit will be $13 mil, $20.5 mil, and $24 mil the next three years. AB's will be $8.4, $8.4, and $10.7. That is about $31 million more over the next three years that can be spent on players to fill other holes.

It is very difficult to get value out of UFA's. There is always a Snyder who will bid up the cost beyond a player's value to a team. You need to draft well and keep those you can at a reasonable price. Those you cannot keep, need to be replaced via the draft. Where we have gone wrong is a couple of bad drafts (Hood being the obvious example) and keeping people that were too old/fragile to give us much value (Woodley).

Black@Gold Forever32
02-04-2014, 11:56 AM
I find the exact opposite to be funny

So you're saying Wilson was a main factor in the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl 43-8?

Again Ben was knocked for being a game manager early on in his career and now Wilson is praised for it......Even Steve Young who even beat Ben is nothing more then a game manager to death went on to defend Wilson on being a game manager by saying well 75% of the game is being a game manager......Russell Wilson is a very good QB no doubt but the media and their BS is annoying is hell.......Ben use to get knocked ALL THE TIME with the game manager label.......

NeilPatrickBanana
02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
To me, the bolded part is the only way one can build a dynasty these days. It takes year after year of drafting well to stay on top. People here talk about the Steelers being left behind the "new NFL" and need to use free agency but actually that is the old and antiquated thinking. To win consistently, you do not need the "best" player at positions, you need value up and down your roster. For instance, few would doubt that Calvin Johnson is better than AB but AB has more value. Johnson's cap hit will be $13 mil, $20.5 mil, and $24 mil the next three years. AB's will be $8.4, $8.4, and $10.7. That is about $31 million more over the next three years that can be spent on players to fill other holes.

It is very difficult to get value out of UFA's. There is always a Snyder who will bid up the cost beyond a player's value to a team. You need to draft well and keep those you can at a reasonable price. Those you cannot keep, need to be replaced via the draft. Where we have gone wrong is a couple of bad drafts (Hood being the obvious example) and keeping people that were too old/fragile to give us much value (Woodley).

to no one's surprise I completely agree with myself.

I'll add a small piece to the conversation (which you alluded to... i mean i alluded to). You MUST know who your guys are early, and lock them up (Antonio Brown is an example of this... Keenan Lewis is an example of failing...). Seattle has done this with Kam, Unger, Bryant, and Mebane.

And look how Seattle used free agency for Cliff Avrill and Bennett.... 2 and 1 year deals... brilliant. They fill short term, with cap space that's available... these moves wont impact the long term ability to keep other players.

Seattle's front office did an historic job... it's the best job a front office has done in architecting a a super bowl roster since jimmy johnson/dallas

NeilPatrickBanana
02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
So you're saying Wilson was a main factor in the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl 43-8?

nope.

Again Ben was knocked for being a game manager early on in his career and now Wilson is praised for it......Even Steve Young who even beat Ben is nothing more then a game manager to death went on to defend Wilson on being a game manager by saying well 75% of the game is being a game manager......Russell Wilson is a very good QB no doubt but the media and their BS is annoying is hell.......Ben use to get knocked ALL THE TIME with the game manager label.......

I said the exact opposite was what was funny to me... referring to the bolded... Steeler nation praised the **** out of Ben when he WAS a game manager early in his career... and defended him to the end of the earth against the perceived slight that is being referred to as a game manager... now, you are calling Wilson a game manager... I find that funny.

you and a ton of steeler nation are doing the same thing to Wilson... that you complained others were doing to ben (im saying the "generic you", the steeler fan)

that's funny to me

it's hard to objectively say that Wilson's first 2 seasons don't trump Ben's first 2 seasons. Even if you take Ben's numbers and prorate them for a full season in his second year, he doesn't eclipse what Wilson did the first 2 years.

And Wilson may not have been the catalyst in the Super Bowl, but he didn't take a dump in it like Ben did....

Black@Gold Forever32
02-04-2014, 01:35 PM
nope.

I said the exact opposite was what was funny to me... referring to the bolded... Steeler nation praised the **** out of Ben when he WAS a game manager early in his career... and defended him to the end of the earth against the perceived slight that is being referred to as a game manager... now, you are calling Wilson a game manager... I find that funny.

you and a ton of steeler nation are doing the same thing to Wilson... that you complained others were doing to ben (im saying the "generic you", the steeler fan)

that's funny to me

it's hard to objectively say that Wilson's first 2 seasons don't trump Ben's first 2 seasons. Even if you take Ben's numbers and prorate them for a full season in his second year, he doesn't eclipse what Wilson did the first 2 years.

And Wilson may not have been the catalyst in the Super Bowl, but he didn't take a dump in it like Ben did....

Hello I'm not the one labeling Russell Wilson a game manager...I was just saying it was funny that Steve Young and others are praising a QB now for being a game manager now but when Ben was having success they were knocking him for being a game manager....That is what I'm talking about....

Easy to QB a game and make plays when your team is already up 29-0.....Again I think Russell Wilson is a very good QB but you know the whole game manager thing is stupid anyway......I'm just pointing how the media was labeling Wilson a game manager....I never said Wilson was a game manager....I just stated that Wilson didn't anything in the game until the Super Bowl was out of hand.....Take what you want out of that statement....Classic NPB trying to spin something out of nothing.....Man you really should be in the media......lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
One last thing I thought it was dumb to label a QB a game manager when Ben was having success early on in his career and its dumb now to do it with Wilson....I'm just annoyed by the fact Ben was knocked for it and Wilson is praised for it....That was my whole point........Especially like I said from Steve Young and he said right after the Super Bowl on ESPN post game coverage that 75% of the game is managing it....lol I'm not taking anything away from Wilson but again if people want to praise him again for his great play in the Super Bowl he wasn't much of a factor until the game was out of hand but I will say Wilson is very damn good at limiting turn overs....He had no turn overs the entire post-season......No wonder he use to play play point guard......

NeilPatrickBanana
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
One last thing I thought it was dumb to label a QB a game manager when Ben was having success early on in his career and its dumb now to do it with Wilson....I'm just annoyed by the fact Ben was knocked for it and Wilson is praised for it....That was my whole point........Especially like I said from Steve Young and he said right after the Super Bowl on ESPN post game coverage that 75% of the game is managing it....lol I'm not taking anything away from Wilson but again if people want to praise him again for his great play in the Super Bowl he wasn't much of a factor until the game was out of hand but I will say Wilson is very damn good at limiting turn overs....He had no turn overs the entire post-season......No wonder he use to play play point guard......

I don't know why we have to be so sensitive about it... I chalk it up to: Ben played a shitburger of a super bowl... so, in that context "game manager" was used in a negative connotation. Where as Wilson played relatively flawlessly, without being the catalyst for the win, and in that context "game manager" was used in a positive connotation.

but... who cares? really?

WindyCityShaker
02-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Yeah and they've already stated that between Thomas and Sherman, that they consider Thomas to be the priority. Once Wilson gets his they're going to have to let go of a good number of these pieces.

Your last comment about supplementing through the draft is spot on, going forward this is really the only way to keep competitive for an extended period of time (without submersing your team in a future horrific bad cap situation). While Colvin might not perfectly fit the "mold" of a DB in their system, I'm worried that a team like the hawks, or niners will snatch him up earlier because they don't even need him.........yet.

What a credit to their entire organization for assembling this group of players without breaking the bank, or needing multiple first round selections. No one may want to hear it but without the salary cap, we'd be looking straight down the barrel of a very nasty dynasty.

Real Deal Steel
02-04-2014, 03:40 PM
And that's it in a nutshell. Because of the cap, dynasty's have almost gone the way of the dinosaur. LOL

Clevelandsux
02-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Surprised the media hasn't jumped on the fact that Russell Wilson is the second black qb to win the sb.