PDA

View Full Version : Questions of Spygate

Blitzburgh_Mike
01-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Bill Cowher stated recently that Spygate had nothing to do with the Steelers losing two AFC Champ. games to the New England Patriots in 2001 and 2004. However, the question of Spygate has always had a recurring theme with me. I know a lot of people out there who dismiss Spygate as being overblown and nothing more than a camera in the wrong place. However, there are questions about Spygate that have been mysteriously left unanswered (at least, from my perspective) since it has come out that has always left me curious and skeptical.

The first question I have always had was this- If the NFL came out and said the Patriots videotapes that they confiscated showed nothing (which they did say), then why did Goodell feel the need to destroy them? Does that not bother anybody else? Does that not defy any logical reasoning toward a conclusive investigation? If the NFL is trying to prove that the Patriots are innocent of any significant penalty or wrongdoing, why would the commissioner purposely destroy the evidence that would prove that? It just makes no sense to me.

Secondly, at the time, Goodell claimed that he destroyed the tapes so that the Pats “would not secure any possible competitive advantage as a result of the misconduct.” How could the Pats have any possible competitive advantage if they no longer had the tapes? And again, didn’t the NFL just say the tapes showed nothing? Doesn’t this statement make it seem like the tapes must have had something on them? And we’ll never know the answers, because Goodell destroyed the evidence that apparently showed nothing, yet for some reason he was concerned of the Pats having a competitive advantage if the got their hands on them.

Thirdly, Josh Mcdaniels and Steve Scarnecchia were a part of a videotaping scandal of their own when they coached the Denver Broncos in 2010. Are we to assume that two previous coaches of the Patriots being part of another videotaping scandal is merely a coincidence?

Fourthly, in this situation, I don’t believe in sour grapes. There have been a number of former players who have come out and said they knew the Pats were cheating. Marshall Faulk thought they did in Superbowl XXXVI. Hines Ward and other Steelers played have openly stated that during the AFC Championship games in 2001 and 2004, when the players would audible, the Pats defense would react to the audible just as quickly as the Steelers players would, as if they anticipated it.

My opinion: There was definitely something on those tapes that the NFL did not want getting out to the public. I think they felt if those tapes had been leaked, the NFL would have lost a tremendous amount of money and credibility, and every team would have suffered. The NFL destroyed the tapes, played it off as if it showed nothing, slap the Pats on the back with a record kind of punishment ($500k and docked a first round pick), and let it fizzle out. Just my opinion, want to hear what others think.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Why are you posting this now? This is super old story. And there is nothing to speculate about because the tapes are destroyed.

LatrobePA
01-16-2014, 10:11 AM
The NFL is predetermined much like WWE wrestling.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2014, 10:21 AM
The NFL is predetermined much like WWE wrestling.

You watch WWE Wrestling?

LatrobePA
01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
You watch WWE Wrestling?

Just for the woman...

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Just for the woman...

What do you watch football for then? lol

LatrobePA
01-16-2014, 10:32 AM
What do you watch football for then? lol

Sure as hell wasn't for a playoff run the past two years.. lol

Nolrog
01-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Who cares. That was a decade or more ago. Let's move on.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
I lost mad respect for Bill Coward after his dumb @$$ made them stupid remarks, We all know every team tries to steal hand signal, but not all of em film teams like the Cheaters did, so FU^K Bill COWARD, i'm amazed that there were no threads made about him, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i wonder why, SMGDH.