PDA

View Full Version : Titans hire Wizz........

FlatsSteeler
01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Keep an Eye on him going after Keith Butler for DC....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports %2Fnfl%2Ftitans%2F2014%2F01%2F13%2Fken-whisenhunt-head-coach-mike-munchak%2F4464017%2F&ei=U1zVUsqhBZDykQf5o4CACA&usg=AFQjCNHkYLP1hYS_OChegWPKleEbGEKsGg&sig2=hq7NIF0AOhr8WYtp-YofcQ&bvm=bv.59378465,d.eW0

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Good hire. It will be interesting to see if they stick with Locker.

coldrolled
01-14-2014, 12:25 PM
The Titans?, they are the team that ruins our playoff hopes every year right?

Real Deal Steel
01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
That was a good hire for them. Wiz has proven (at least to me) that he knows what he's doing. And if he can make Jake Locker a crediable QB, his NFL stock will be threw the roof.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
That was a good hire for them. Wiz has proven (at least to me) that he knows what he's doing. And if he can make Jake Locker a crediable QB, his NFL stock will be threw the roof.

He's a good coach, but I pretty poor evaluator of talent.

TarlsQtr
01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Good luck to Wiz. Always liked the guy.

Real Deal Steel
01-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Keep an Eye on him going after Keith Butler for DC....

That would stink. But if I were Butler, I'd stay in Steel town. Much more of a stable FO then Titansville. Wouldn't it be nice that a little pressure by Wiz could force our FO to give Butler a hard date when he could take over being our DC??

I know..I'm just spit balling. :rolleyes:

FlatsSteeler
01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
I always liked Wizz He was my choice after Cowher left but the Rooneys F!@!ed him and chose Tomlin........I hope he is very successful with the Titans.......As for Butler I to hope he would chose the Steelers over Wizz and the Tits......I have a feeling the Rooneys will screw Butler as well......

muncher
01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
what a slap in the face to detroit.
turn down a franchise qb and the best wr in the game to go team with nothing
risky move for whiz

steelchamp204
01-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Still wish he was picked over Tomlin. Just my 2 cents.

muncher
01-14-2014, 01:23 PM

for sure. i would wager he would have been as good or more successful than tomlin

WindyCityShaker
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
what a slap in the face to detroit.
turn down a franchise qb and the best wr in the game to go team with nothing
risky move for whiz

Yeah it's a really good move for Tennessee. I do think they'll stick with Jake as well, although probably drafting a QB a little later in the draft.

As for a slap in the face to detroit, I didn't realize until I heard a stat this morning that to date the last 6 or so coaches that were fired from Detroit never got a chance to be a head coach again; perhaps that was his reasoning. Also who would want to live in Detroit? The Koch brothers will surely gut that city and use it as nothing more than storage for all their fracking salt.

muncher
01-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah it's a really good move for Tennessee. I do think they'll stick with Jake as well, although probably drafting a QB a little later in the draft.

As for a slap in the face to detroit, I didn't realize until I heard a stat this morning that to date the last 6 or so coaches that were fired from Detroit never got a chance to be a head coach again; perhaps that was his reasoning. Also who would want to live in Detroit? The Koch brothers will surely gut that city and use it as nothing more than storage for all their fracking salt.

i am glad whiz chose the titans.
living in lions country, i thoroughly enjoy listening to their delusional fans claim how great they are only to listen to them cry once they are eliminated from the playoffs.(most times by week 8).
i am confident whiz would have had them in the playoffs and contending the next 5 years straight and maybe beyond.
i can continue by hatred for at least another coaches tenure.

steelchamp204
01-14-2014, 01:42 PM
for sure. i would wager he would have been as good or more successful than tomlin

I think he would have been better, it will always be a debate. I'm not saying he would have been the next Belicheck, just think he would have been better than Tomlin to a certain degree. Next season, we will see what Tomlin is all about, his seat is a little warm now. This team needs to be in the playoffs next season without a doubt.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2014, 01:43 PM

yea, then we can have the coach who lost the super bowl instead of the one who won it.... :rolleyes:

Steeler John
01-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I read the 2 biggest factors in Wiz going to the Titans was the the ownership and that they run a 3-4 as opposed to the Lions who run a 4-3 and are not currently built to switch to the 3-4.

muncher
01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
yea, then we can have the coach who lost the super bowl instead of the one who won it.... :rolleyes:

im sure whiz could have won that superbowl with cowhers players just as easy as tomlin did

FlatsSteeler
01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Fact is Wizz almost won that SB with a far LESS talented team than Tomlins Vet Powerful team.......Fact.....

Real Deal Steel
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Again, you guys need to put Neilpatrickbanana on your ignore list. Life around here will be easier if you do.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Fact is Wizz almost won that SB with a far LESS talented team than Tomlins Vet Powerful team.......Fact.....

Fact about Super Bowl XLIII is Whiz/Haley wasted so much time especially early in the game trying to run the ball......When Whiz/Haley finally decided to spread the Steelers defense out and attack aggressively the Cards almost won the Super Bowl....When watching the Broncos/Chargers games this past Sunday reminded me of Super Bowl XLIII......The Chargers wasted so much time trying to establish the running game it cost them BIG TIME....Rivers only had 20 yards passing at halftime and thought it was a strange game plan by Mike McCoy/Whiz....I understand trying to keep Manning off the field but when down 14-0 the Chargers were still trying to establish the run.....Personally I think Whiz is vastly over-rated.....

TarlsQtr
01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
RDS,

Make sure to pass a note in gym class and tell them not to like NPB (and me). If they do not ignore him (or me), threaten to steal their lunch money.

steelchamp204
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Relax, was making an observation to be honest. I never said I hated Tomlin, just saying Whiz could have been the better hire. Rooney decided to select the other guy due to his rule. Let's be realistic.

TarlsQtr
01-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Lions take Caldwell: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409019/report-lions-hiring-jim-caldwell-as-next-head-coach

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
RDS,

Make sure to pass a note in gym class and tell them not to like NPB (and me). If they do not ignore him (or me), threaten to steal their lunch money.

He's right though. Life for morons will be much easier if you put me on ignore. I highly recommend it if you are Real Dump Stupid

Forged in Steel
01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
It's too bad Whisenhunt wasn't hired as the Steelers' offensive coordinator when they fired Arians.

Anyone remember this play from Whisenhunt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGwSb2aMqwc

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Relax, was making an observation to be honest. I never said I hated Tomlin, just saying Whiz could have been the better hire. Rooney decided to select the other guy due to his rule. Let's be realistic.

I think Rooney made the right decision with a long term outlook. Since then, Whiz has been fired after an epic QB mistake torpedoing his own head coaching job with a team he took to a super bowl... only to see someone else come in and turn it around in 1 season.

K Train
01-14-2014, 04:23 PM
It's too bad Whisenhunt wasn't hired as the Steelers' offensive coordinator when they fired Arians.

Pretty sure he would have rather chewed his own hand off than be the steelers offensive coordinator

Get7With7
01-14-2014, 05:14 PM

I don't think Whiz and the Rooneys get along very well after his departure from the Steelers.

Real Deal Steel
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
B & G,

I don't think he's overrated. Look at what he's done with the QB's he's been in charge of? But your right about him staying with the run too long. Sometimes you do have to spread them out and then come back to the run to balance things out.

DBR96A
01-14-2014, 08:26 PM
I always liked Wizz He was my choice after Cowher left but the Rooneys F!@!ed him and chose Tomlin........

Actually, Ken Whisenhunt accepted the head coaching job with the Cardinals before the Steelers even finished interviewing people. If he was ****ed over simply because he didn't get the job with the Steelers, then that means he ****ed himself.

Still wish he was picked over Tomlin.

He picked another team before the Steelers finished interviewing people.

...who would want to live in Detroit? The Koch brothers will surely gut that city and use it as nothing more than storage for all their fracking salt.

It's not Detroit city proper, but Oakland County, MI has one of the highest median household incomes of any county in the United States, and a population that's only slightly smaller than Allegheny County. Need mechanical engineering expertise? You'll find lots of it there, which is why Volkswagen, BMW and Hyundai all have major R&D facilities there, not far from the Chrysler corporate headquarters.

Next season, we will see what Tomlin is all about, his seat is a little warm now. This team needs to be in the playoffs next season without a doubt.

Bill Cowher had three consecutive non-playoff-seasons from 1998 through 2000, and the Rooneys gave him a contract extension after the second of those three seasons. And those teams were more talented than the current Steelers team at all positions except QB and TE. If Cowher could coach a team to a 22-26 record over three seasons, then why should Mike Tomlin be on the hot seat for a 16-16 record over the last two? Cowher coached three teams with losing records in his first 12 seasons; Tomlin has yet to coach a team with a losing record.

im sure whiz could have won that superbowl with cowhers players just as easy as tomlin did

The same way Bill Cowher went to Super Bowl XXX with Dermontti Dawson, John Jackson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd, Ernie Mills, Neil O'Donnell, Justin Strzelczyk and Rod Woodson, who were all drafted by Chuck Noll.

muncher
01-14-2014, 08:59 PM
I think Rooney made the right decision with a long term outlook. Since then, Whiz has been fired after an epic QB mistake torpedoing his own head coaching job with a team he took to a super bowl... only to see someone else come in and turn it around in 1 season.

whiz lost his franchis qb
tomlin has a franchise qb and cant make the playoffs
the new coach that turned it around had a quality qb
its actually pretty easy to win in the nfl if you have a quality qb

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2014, 09:25 PM
whiz lost his franchis qb
tomlin has a franchise qb and cant make the playoffs
the new coach that turned it around had a quality qb
its actually pretty easy to win in the nfl if you have a quality qb

So you don't think we have a quality QB?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
B & G,

I don't think he's overrated. Look at what he's done with the QB's he's been in charge of? But your right about him staying with the run too long. Sometimes you do have to spread them out and then come back to the run to balance things out.

But Whiz had some very talented QBs as well to work with...Big Ben, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers.......I'm not saying Whiz is terrible by no means but I do think he should just stay an OC.....Whiz will be fired within three years with the Titans.....Just don't think he is a HC......I'm just saying I don't think the Steelers would be any better off with Whisenhunt as HC instead of Tomlin........

Big T
01-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Actually, Ken Whisenhunt accepted the head coaching job with the Cardinals before the Steelers even finished interviewing people. If he was ****ed over simply because he didn't get the job with the Steelers, then that means he ****ed himself.

It's not Detroit city proper, but Oakland County, MI has one of the highest median household incomes of any county in the United States, and a population that's only slightly smaller than Allegheny County. Need mechanical engineering expertise? You'll find lots of it there, which is why Volkswagen, BMW and Hyundai all have major R&D facilities there, not far from the Chrysler corporate headquarters.

Bill Cowher had three consecutive non-playoff-seasons from 1998 through 2000, and the Rooneys gave him a contract extension after the second of those three seasons. And those teams were more talented than the current Steelers team at all positions except QB and TE. If Cowher could coach a team to a 22-26 record over three seasons, then why should Mike Tomlin be on the hot seat for a 16-16 record over the last two? Cowher coached three teams with losing records in his first 12 seasons; Tomlin has yet to coach a team with a losing record.

The same way Bill Cowher went to Super Bowl XXX with Dermontti Dawson, John Jackson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd, Ernie Mills, Neil O'Donnell, Justin Strzelczyk and Rod Woodson, who were all drafted by Chuck Noll.

Exactly. The "Tomlin won with Cowher's players" argument is ridiculous.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Exactly. The "Tomlin won with Cowher's players" argument is ridiculous.

i consider anybody who mentions it in any context to be a complete and utter fool

steelchamp204
01-15-2014, 06:26 AM

Tomlin has a HOF and franchise QB working on the offensive side of the ball. We have a solid TE and a probowl WR who played balls out this season. This team has a solid number 2 in Cotchery and a solid 3 in Sanders in the 2013 season. A rookie RB who broke Francos rookie total yards from scrimmage.

A monsters RE and the most underated ILB in the game in Timmons. A probowl safety in Troy who played like his old self.

This team had an easy schedule this season, there is no reason why we should have lost to the vikings/titans/raiders.

I am on the Tomlin train, I think he did great by turning this season around. But a team that has a QB the caliber of Ben that hasn't won a playoff game in 3 years is unacceptable. Sorry.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 09:51 AM
I don't agree with the assessment of troy (noticeably slower now and being that slow you can't keep roving around) but I think your spot on with everything else.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Oh...And I can't say I'm on Tomlin's train either. As a matter of fact. he's 50/50 in my book and with another bad season , I'll be calling for his dismissal.

TarlsQtr
01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Steelers will allow Titans to speak with Butler if asked.

Good morning,

Not much pressing today, so letís just get to some small stuff:

--- If you were Art Rooney/Mike Tomlin and Ken Whisenhunt wanted to hire your linebackers coach and make him his new defensive coordinator in Tennessee, would you let him? You do not have to because Keith Butler is under contract. And if you do let Butler go, do you allow your running backs coach to become offensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans? You do not have to because Kirby Wilson is under contract.

You have to decide what might be best for your own team vs. the fairness of allowing people in the business to better themselves. What would you do?

It may not matter at the moment with Wilson because I was told he would be Whisenhuntís second choice and that John McNulty is his first, which also has been reported elsewhere. McNulty coached Whisenhuntís quarterbacks in Arizona and was quarterbacks coach at Tampa Bay, where the entire staff was fired after the season.

--- Iím told now that if Whisenhunt asks permission to speak with Butler, the Steelers will allow it. It probably means they also will allow him to go. If that happens, I would assume Jerry Olsavsky would become their linebackers coach. Heís been on the staff as a defensive assistant, or what used to be known as the quality control coach, the past four seasons. Olsavsky, who turns 47 next month, is ready.

--- One man Whisenhunt will not hire is Russ Grimm, even though some have assumed that because they were together in Arizona. The two had a falling out. Grimm sat out last season collecting his salary from the Cardinals after they fired him.

--- Mike Tomlin still has just one opening on his staff, that of offensive line coach and other than interviewing his own offensive quality control coach, Shaun Sarrett, there has been no other known candidates he has talked to. Again, he should at least sit down with Tunch Ilkin.

--- The Cleveland Browns were second to fire their coach (on the night of their final game at Heinz Field) and look as though they will be among the last to hire one. They have been criticized because of that and maybe in their case it is justified. But while covering the past two hires the Steelers made for head coach, they did so deliberately, took their time, interviewed a ton of candidates and made their choice. Making an early hire does not mean making the best, but the Browns do not have the good history the Steelers have in hiring head coaches so, again, there probably is reason for their fans to worry about their approach.

--- Bill Cowher, 56, has a record of 149-90-1 as a head coach, all with the Steelers. That is a winning percentage of .623. He has one Super Bowl victory and one loss. He was 12-9 in the post-season that included two Super Bowl appearances and five AFC championship games.

Tony Dungy, 58, has a record of 139-69 as a head coach with two teams, fired by one. That is a winning percentage of .688. He was 9-10 in the post-season, including 7-6 in Indianapolis with what may be the greatest quarterback in NFL history. His teams appeared in one Super Bowl and three championship games.

Dungy is among the 15 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. Cowher has been eligible since 2007 and has never been a finalist (they changed the rules after that, making coaches wait five years rather than one and Cowher again became eligible in 2012).

The question is not whether Dungy deserves to be a finalist but, based on their records, should not Bill Cowher deserve it as well? http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/01/14/Will-Steelers-Let-Butler-Go-to-Titans/stories/201401140001

K Train
01-15-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't agree with the assessment of troy (noticeably slower now and being that slow you can't keep roving around) but I think your spot on with everything else.

Troy had a great year. You can get old and still be great

jdehoff83
01-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Agree

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

Disagree. Just because he stayed healthy the entire year doesn't mean he had a great year. He was adequate.

cmerrifield
01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Disagree. Just because he stayed healthy the entire year doesn't mean he had a great year. He was adequate.

Is there anyone in the organization you like? Not Tomlin, not Bell, not Colbert, not Rooney, not Troy, not Ike, not the oline, not the dline, not ... is there anybody that meets your standard? Cause at some point, if no one makes you happy on the team, maybe, just maybe, its time to find a new team.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

K Train
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Compare him to Ike who is also old and looks a step slower....ike looked bad, troy looked great.

He had his troy torpedo whiffing moments, but for the most part he was a disruptive player

Real Deal Steel
You don't know what your talking about son. I was the one who was convincing K-Train about Bell all off-season. Please stay out of grown folks conversation. Especially when you don't know what your talking about.

Real Deal Steel
Compare him to Ike who is also old and looks a step slower....ike looked bad, troy looked great.

He had his troy torpedo whiffing moments, but for the most part he was a disruptive player

Let's not go into Ike. LOL

K Train
01-15-2014, 10:55 AM
I was not excited about bell, but i am now.

Anyone who pushes issac redman off the steelers roster is ok in my book. Bell brings a lot to the table, i think he has a bright future.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Thank you K.

cmerrifield
01-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Let's not go into Ike. LOL

See right there, you hate Ike, you said in this post you are 50/50 on tomlin, you thought we didn't need Bell because Blount is Barry Sanders, you hate the way we run free agency. I know what I am talking about, you complain about EVERYTHING the Steelers do. So my helpful suggestion was to find a new team.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Calling Troy's season "adequate", is Real Dumb Stupid.

TarlsQtr
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Troy should have caught a full speed Terrelle Pryor from a standing position while being blocked. He sucks.

It is difficult to think of many defensive players on the Steelers who played better. We should not let the legitimate frustration of the last few years get in the way of deserved kudos. It is the same reason that so few positive comments have been made about Gay. It is ego.

I have always been a fan but I can admit that Ike was even worse than "Just a guy" this season, even though he has been far better than "Just a guy" throughout his career. It is called objectivity and reality.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Troy should have caught a full speed Terrelle Pryor from a standing position while being blocked. He sucks.

It is difficult to think of many defensive players on the Steelers who played better. We should not let the legitimate frustration of the last few years get in the way of deserved kudos. It is the same reason that so few positive comments have been made about Gay. It is ego.

I have always been a fan but I can admit that Ike was even worse than "Just a guy" this season, even though he has been far better than "Just a guy" throughout his career. It is called objectivity and reality.

Spot on.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 01:23 PM
See right there, you hate Ike, you said in this post you are 50/50 on tomlin, you thought we didn't need Bell because Blount is Barry Sanders, you hate the way we run free agency. I know what I am talking about, you complain about EVERYTHING the Steelers do. So my helpful suggestion was to find a new team.

Boy..you exaggerate big time don't you? LOL. I never said Blount is Barry Sanders! Gzzzz.

You use the words, "hate" and everything. hahahahahaaha.

Your not worth commenting any further on. Have a great day.

Big T
01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
According to PFF, Troy was the 5th ranked safety in the NFL this year and the 2nd best safety in terms of pass coverage (behind only McCourty [just barely 14.1/13.9] and in front of guys like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Jairus Byrd, TJ Ward...). 7th in the NFL in percentage of passes completed while thrown into his coverage (but only 3 players ranked above him played a comparable amount of snaps). Tied for 2nd in the NFL in passes defensed. And was 2nd in the entire league, not just safeties, in forced fumbles.

"Adequate"...

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 04:55 PM
According to PFF, Troy was the 5th ranked safety in the NFL this year and the 2nd best safety in terms of pass coverage (behind only McCourty [just barely 14.1/13.9] and in front of guys like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Jairus Byrd, TJ Ward...). 7th in the NFL in percentage of passes completed while thrown into his coverage (but only 3 players ranked above him played a comparable amount of snaps). Tied for 2nd in the NFL in passes defensed. And was 2nd in the entire league, not just safeties, in forced fumbles.

"Adequate"...

Let's take it even further: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm

The Pittsburgh Steelers finished 14th in total team defense. Passing defense 9th and rushing defense 21st. Yet, shockingly, it was this miraculous defense that after the defense had supposedly "jelled", it got bombed out at home by the Miami dolphins. In the game that knocked them out of the playoffs. With Troy P mysteriously unable to cover the Dolphins TE (Clay) who had 97 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Here's the link to the dolphins game on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331208023

My point is that stats seldom tell the whole story. Also, factor in how Troy was just standing there as Arron Pryor just ran by him too. :rolleyes:

Like I said, " Adequate"

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 04:57 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Considering everything the resilient Miami Dolphins have put themselves through over the last two months, a couple of snowflakes were hardly going to be a problem.

Not with Ryan Tannehill throwing and running like a guy who enjoys the white stuff. Not with Charles Clay muscling through the arm tackle of a likely Hall of Famer for the winning score. Not even with a Keystone Kops finale that ever so briefly appeared to be for real.

Clay bulled through Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Cortez Allen to score a 12-yard touchdown with 2:53 remaining to put the Dolphins in front to stay and Miami survived a wild finish to edge the Steelers 34-28 on Sunday.

More Dolphins-Steelers coverage
WalkerThe Dolphins are playing some of their best football as they chase a wild-card berth -- but luck also played a role in Pittsburgh, James Walker writes. Blog

BrownComing up short on what would have been a miraculous play at the end seemed to epitomize the entire season for the Steelers, Scott Brown writes. Blog

"I think I need some blood pressure medicine or something," Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake said. "That's December football."

Daniel Thomas ran for 105 yards and a score for Miami, including a zig-zag 55-yard burst to set up Clay's winner. Clay had seven receptions for 97 yards and two touchdowns. Tannehill, playing in wintry conditions for the first time in his life, completed 20 of 33 passes for 201 yards and three scores and also ripped off a career-long 48 yard run for the Dolphins (7-6).

Miami blew a pair of second-half leads but improved to 3-1 in its last four games. Heady territory for an organization reeling a month ago after a bullying accusation against offensive lineman Richie Incognito by Jonathan Martin that threatened to rip the locker room apart.

"Big win of us," Thomas said. "We have a do or die mentality."

One the Dolphins nearly saw both sides of in the final three minutes. Caleb Sturgis drilled a short field goal after Clay's second touchdown to put Miami up six. The Steelers got the ball back with 1:08 left but no timeouts.

Three plays went nowhere and on fourth-and-4 from the Pittsburgh 26 Ben Roethlisberger took the snap just before the clock hit all zeroes.

Emmanuel Sanders caught the pass and made it 20 yards before things went haywire. Sanders flipped it to Jerricho Cotchery, who handed it to Le'Veon Bell, who then tossed it to 330-pound tackle Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert flipped it to Roethlisberger, who ran to the Pittsburgh 33 before throwing what appeared to be an illegal forward pass to Brown. No flags were thrown, however, as Brown raced down the sideline.

As the Dolphins gave chase, Brown crossed the goal line. While he celebrated, an official pointed at the turf and ruled Brown's left foot stepped out of bounds at the Miami 12. That sent the resurgent Dolphins spilling onto the field after the franchise's first win in Pittsburgh in 23 years, one that came in the unlikeliest of settings.

"I thought I had it clean," Brown said. "I thought I separated really good getting to the sideline, but it didn't seem quite enough."

It never has been this year for Pittsburgh (5-8), which lost its second straight to all but end any outside shot of making the playoffs. Roethlisberger passed for 349 yards and three scores, but could do little but trudge to the locker room in disgust with his team assured of a second straight non-winning season.

SportsNation: Flurries & football
SportsNationPhilly, Baltimore and several other cities saw snow Sunday. Do you like football in this weather? Vote! »

"There isn't going to be any quit from anybody," Roethlisberger said.

The defeated capped a distracting 10 days for the Steelers. Head coach Mike Tomlin was fined $100,000 for interfering with Baltimore kickoff returner Jacoby Jones during a loss to Baltimore on Thanksgiving night. The kind of furor overshadowed the fact what little margin for error the Steelers had heading into December was gone.

Now it's vanished completely.

"We've still got games to play," Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor said. "We've got no time to be whining pouting, thinking about the season."

Neither do the Dolphins. Then again, they have something considerably more tangible to play for after showing they're not afraid to get a little snow on their pristine white-and-teal jerseys.

Miami settled itself as the snow tapered off, taking a 17-7 lead early in the third quarter then continually responding whenever the Steelers appeared ready to take control in a game that featured four lead changes in the last 23 minutes.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Please see the bold, Black writting above for how Mr. All World safety got punked at home. And got punked by Aaron Pryor too.

Yep...Troy is "adequete" at best. :rolleyes:

And your going to compare him to Earl Thomas???? Please. Troy may not even be on this team next year if he doesn't take an extreme paycut. And you don't do that to a guy if he's really , " All That!"

Big T
01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Come on now. You're going to reference one play in which Troy went for the strip instead of a tackle and missed. Everything that I posted, from a reputable source full of people that are paid to watch every single snap played by every single player in every single game, and you're going to reference one play? Seriously? That's hilarious.

You have a fantastic way of seeing what you want to see. No one compared him to Earl Thomas. I posted objective statistics from an objective, reputable, knowledgable site. Troy had a better year in pass coverage than Earl Thomas. I'm not comparing the two, I'm stating facts.

I still can't believe you tried to discredit everything I posted by posting an article just to point out one play where Troy missed a strip. Fantastic. Well done.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Let's take it even further: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm

The Pittsburgh Steelers finished 14th in total team defense. Passing defense 9th and rushing defense 21st. Yet, shockingly, it was this miraculous defense that after the defense had supposedly "jelled", it got bombed out at home by the Miami dolphins. In the game that knocked them out of the playoffs. With Troy P mysteriously unable to cover the Dolphins TE (Clay) who had 97 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Here's the link to the dolphins game on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331208023

My point is that stats seldom tell the whole story. Also, factor in how Troy was just standing there as Arron Pryor just ran by him too. :rolleyes:

Like I said, " Adequate"

what an absolutely hillarious post...

"stats don't tell the whole story, so let me pick out one game... and more accurately 1 play... to illustrate my point."

Real Dumb Stupid at his finest

TarlsQtr
01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Lol I need someone to explain to me who "Arron Pryor" is.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Come on now. You're going to reference one play in which Troy went for the strip instead of a tackle and missed. Everything that I posted, from a reputable source full of people that are paid to watch every single snap played by every single player in every single game, and you're going to reference one play? Seriously? That's hilarious.

You have a fantastic way of seeing what you want to see. No one compared him to Earl Thomas. I posted objective statistics from an objective, reputable, knowledgable site. Troy had a better year in pass coverage than Earl Thomas. I'm not comparing the two, I'm stating facts.

I still can't believe you tried to discredit everything I posted by posting an article just to point out one play where Troy missed a strip. Fantastic. Well done.

Dude, you have a fantastic way of seeing what you want to see.

Saying that Troy is so great (except for one or two plays) is like saying O.J. is a great person if you put aside the two people that he killed. You can't just dismiss what you don't like. Your incredible dude. Troy messed up on game defining plays. But he played the rest of the game great so we discard those "that one play" stuff ??????

steelchamp204
01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I just feel this team should be in the playoffs every single year. Just feels we are wasting time with Ben. I know we cant make it every freaking year, but to have a caliber QB like Ben and not have a playoff victory in 3 seasons is weird.

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
I just feel this team should be in the playoffs every single year. Just feels we are wasting time with Ben. I know we cant make it every freaking year, but to have a caliber QB like Ben and not have a playoff victory in 3 seasons is weird.

yeah,..I feel your pain. Like a clock is ticking and we're wasting or franchise QB.

Big T
01-15-2014, 07:23 PM

That same QB missed a significant amount of time with injury last year and was not the same when he came back. The same QB who had a great season overall, did not play to the level he is expected to play over the first half of the season (most notably the 0-4 stretch). Ben isnt solely to blame for not making the playoffs this year, but he's certainly not blameless.

Big T
01-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Dude, you have a fantastic way of seeing what you want to see.

Saying that Troy is so great (except for one or two plays) is like saying O.J. is a great person if you put aside the two people that he killed. You can't just dismiss what you don't like. Your incredible dude. Troy messed up on game defining plays. But he played the rest of the game great so we discard those "that one play" stuff ??????

So by that logic, I can point out the game saving/game winning forced fumble he had in GB and use your same argument against you?

"He had a great year, look at the game winning forced fumble he had against Green Bay. He stepped up on game defining plays. You can't just dismiss what you don't like."

See how foolish this argument is?

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Not foolish at all. Because if he was all that you said, and if the defense was all that it was ranked, then why are we not in the playoffs?

Where we are proves my point. At home, watching the playoffs.

Offense did it's part against the Vikings, Dolphins, Bears, Patriots. where was he then? He wasn't there ENOUGH was he? And that's the bottom line. He wasn't there enough.

Big T
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Not foolish at all. Because if he was all that you said, and if the defense was all that it was ranked, then why are we not in the playoffs?

Where we are proves my point. At home, watching the playoffs.

Offense did it's part against the Vikings, Dolphins, Bears, Patriots. where was he then? He wasn't there ENOUGH was he? And that's the bottom line. He wasn't there enough.

So Troy didn't have a good season, because we didn't make the playoffs. I guess Antonio Brown didn't have a good season since we didn't make the playoffs. I guess Josh Gordon, TJ Ward, Joe Thomas and Joe Haden didn't have good seasons because the Browns didn't make the playoffs. I guess Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey didn't have good seasons because Chicago didn't make the playoffs. I guess Robert Quinn didn't have a good season because the Rams didn't make the playoffs. I guess JJ Watt and Andre Johnson didn't have good seasons because the Texans didn't make the playoffs. I guess Calvin Johnson and Ndamukong Suh didn't have good seasons because the Lions didn't make the playoffs. I guess Justin Tucker didn't have a good year since the Ravens didn't make the playoffs. I guess Trent Williams didn't have a good season since the Redskins didn't make the playoffs. I guess Cameron Wake and Brent Grimes didnt have good seasons because the Dolphins didn't make the playoffs. I guess Lavonte David, Gerald McCoy, and Darrelle Revis didn't have good seasons since the Bucs didn't make the playoffs. I guess Carlos Dansby and Calais Campbell didn't have good seasons because the Cardinals didn't make the playoffs. I guess Sheldon Richardson didn't have a good year because the Jets missed the playoffs.

Again, foolish.

TarlsQtr
01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Lol Actually, Revis gave up a couple of TDs to DJax in "game defining plays" against the Beagles, so he is no more than "adequate."

A pretzel is straighter than this guy's logic.

steelchamp204
01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Time is ticking. Ben has about 5 years of ball left. Not a ton of time.

I'd say he has 1 more SB appearence. But this team needs to make the playoffs with the rest of his time here. It starts next season, the run has to start this upcoming 2014 season.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I just read the last couple Real Dumb Stupid posts... That **** is hilarious.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2014, 12:21 AM
No T, your stance is foolish. Pure hog wash.

That's why were at home for the 2nd year in a row. Troy was not good (consistant) enough. He's adequate now.

TarlsQtr
01-16-2014, 01:24 AM
I am very much reminded of Mike Ditka saying that Dexter Manley had "the IQ of a grapefruit."

Troy was "adequate" and Blount was a "stud."

Big T
01-16-2014, 01:59 AM
No T, your stance is foolish. Pure hog wash.

That's why were at home for the 2nd year in a row. Troy was not good (consistant) enough. He's adequate now.

So an individual player is incapable of having a good season if his team doesn't make the playoffs. Brilliant. I guess Calvin Johnson didn't have a good year last year, when he broke the single season receiving yards record, because Detroit didn't make the playoffs. I mean, he should've done more.

And now we didn't make the playoffs because of Troy? Yikes.

Big T
01-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Might as well add this here...

Safety Troy Polamalu is under contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers through next season.

If Steelers’ owner Art Rooney II gets his wish, Polamalu will remain with the team long after that.

Rooney said he wants Polamalu to “retire a Steeler” and fully sees the eight-time Pro Bowl selection and five-time All-Pro remaining in the black and gold.

“How we structure or restructure (Polamalu’s contract) is something we will look at in the next few months,” Rooney said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, but I certainly expect Troy will be one of the pieces to that puzzle. … He’s obviously been one of the great Steelers of all time.”

The Steelers have several players with large cap hits over the next several seasons. However, when the ownership group says they want to keep a player around it tends to happen more often than not.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/16/art-rooney-ii-wants-troy-polamalu-to-retire-a-steeler/

coldrolled
01-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Cant he play MLB

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Titans are going after Kevin Butler

TarlsQtr
01-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Is he "Arron" Pryor's coach?

cmerrifield
01-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Is he "Arron" Pryor's coach?

No, its drew's dad, they want a kicker and he was amazing.

muncher
01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

nope. butler is staying.
i kinda expect a promotion to assistant DC with the assurance he next in line.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2014, 05:46 PM
nope. butler is staying.
i kinda expect a promotion to assistant DC with the assurance he next in line.

Link please.

muncher
01-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Link please.

Dulac reporting that Butler is staying. The move to Tenn was scuttled for undisclosed reasons

Real Deal Steel
01-17-2014, 10:46 AM
That's good.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Butler should leave for DC position since its clear the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau coach until he drops dead on the sidelines.....

steelchamp204
01-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Butler should leave for DC position since its clear the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau coach until he drops dead on the sidelines.....

Yep, then when DL retires. Butler will hav a top 5 defense every single year. That would be our luck. DL reminds of of Paterno. Very frustrating.

ChucktownSteeler
01-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Lol I need someone to explain to me who "Arron Pryor" is.

Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor, boxer from Cincinnati, Ohio. Never knew he played in the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Pryor