PDA

View Full Version : Haley Stays

coldrolled
01-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Todd Haley to keep his job as Pittsburgh Steelers' OC

By Kevin Patra

The Pittsburgh Steelers' late-season surge quelled any need for a complete offseason upheaval on offense.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay First" on Saturday that offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to remain on the team's staff for 2014.

"When you talk to people familiar with that situation, what they say is that some of the other coaches -- Kirby Wilson the running backs coach, also Mike Tomlin -- became more involved with the offense," Rapoport said. "And also Haley allowed Ben (Roethlisberger) to run the no-huddle that he really wants."

Big Ben excelled over the latter portion of the Steelers' schedule after being incredibly frustrated during the team's 0-4 start to the season. The no-huddle offense allowed the quarterback to breach the 4,000-yard plateau (4,261) for just the third time in his career.

Much of Roethlisberger's early season frustration stemmed from the lack of no-huddle, which allows him to call plays according to Rapoport. By the end of the season the Steelers thrived utilizing no-huddle.

Haley's ability to adapt and allow his All-Pro quarterback the freedom to run the offense will keep his job safe for another season.

Big T
01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Interesting that Kirby Wilson and Tomlin became more involved in the offense.

TarlsQtr
01-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Interesting that Kirby Wilson and Tomlin became more involved in the offense.

Perhaps, but I have some doubts. Just like Bicknell being forced to step back halfway through the season, why did we not hear about it then? It sounds a lot like leaking information (true or not) for your own benefit. Where and when did the reporter get this information?

NeilPatrickBanana
01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Perhaps, but I have some doubts. Just like Bicknell being forced to step back halfway through the season, why did we not hear about it then? It sounds a lot like leaking information (true or not) for your own benefit. Where and when did the reporter get this information?

Agreed. Very suspicious... Especially from the "Arians retired" team.

It sounds an awful lot like the old guard placing blame for the ****** start, and taking the credit for the 2nd half.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Was there any doubt really Haley was returning........Haley finally wised and got out of Ben's way......Before anybody gets their panties in a wad...I'm just saying Haley should have implemented the things Ben did best from the start while trying to mold Ben into a better overall player......The Steelers offense should run the no huddle most of the time....Would love to see Ben in a K-Gun type offense just like the early 90s Buffalo Bills....lol

TarlsQtr
01-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Was there any doubt really Haley was returning........Haley finally wised and got out of Ben's way......Before anybody gets their panties in a wad...I'm just saying Haley should have implemented the things Ben did best from the start while trying to mold Ben into a better overall player......The Steelers offense should run the no huddle most of the time....Would love to see Ben in a K-Gun type offense just like the early 90s Buffalo Bills....lol

It is not that Haley finally got out if the way. When your signal caller on the line goes out a few plays into the season and you are moving people all over due to injuries, the no huddle is almost impossible.

SteelCityKid5
01-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Tomlin admitted at the end of the season press conference that the offense isn't just Ben going up to the line calling his own plays. I hate when the offense has a bad game its Haley's fault but when we have a great game, it was all Ben. They work well together. This offense was moving at the end of the season with basically two playmakers with Cotchery contributing. Add another WR to this mix, possible another TE and this offense is going places. Keep in mind, the offense was with a different offensive line practically week to week or so it felt that way.

steelspikes
01-04-2014, 09:33 PM
It is not that Haley finally got out if the way. When your signal caller on the line goes out a few plays into the season and you are moving people all over due to injuries, the no huddle is almost impossible.

It' a good point. Getting Le'veon Bell back and up to speed was a big plus as well.

coldrolled
01-04-2014, 10:52 PM
I still think an Ertz or Eifert in the draft and were winning one or two more of the first 6 games with a TE on the field.

LatrobePA
01-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Haley should return...

NeilPatrickBanana
01-05-2014, 02:19 AM
Tomlin admitted at the end of the season press conference that the offense isn't just Ben going up to the line calling his own plays. I hate when the offense has a bad game its Haley's fault but when we have a great game, it was all Ben. They work well together. This offense was moving at the end of the season with basically two playmakers with Cotchery contributing. Add another WR to this mix, possible another TE and this offense is going places. Keep in mind, the offense was with a different offensive line practically week to week or so it felt that way.

so true... the no huddle is fundamentally misunderstood as the QB calling the plays

Forged in Steel
01-05-2014, 04:01 AM
Haley should return...to the Chiefs.

Fixed for you.

Troyisabeast_43
01-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I think this offense next year if they can add one more big play wideout and add another tight end to compliment Heath Miller can be one of the better offenses in the league if they can continue to keep Ben healthy and the line can do the job they did in the last half of the season. It wont hurt either if Marcus Wheaton can step up next year and take hold of that number 2 or number 3 wide receiver spot and become more of a deep threat for Ben in the passing game. I think Cotchery is a guy they definitely will resign and bring back and if they can go out and draft another good wideout in the first few rounds I think this offense has the potential to be very very good...

ChucktownSteeler
01-05-2014, 10:23 AM
I don't have a problem with it if the improvement continues next season.

LatrobePA
01-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Fixed for you.

Lol stop. He and Ben both needed to buy in, they did and this offense was $$$$$ and will only get better!

Real Deal Steel
01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't have a problem with it if the improvement continues next season.

It seems that Ben and the rest of the players have bought into and settled into the offense. Just need to get theO-line working to a higher lever and add that additional, Big play WR.

Then totally zero in on the defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2014, 01:11 AM
http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/spo ... nchak.html

Here is what Ian Raporport of the NFL Network said on Saturday on the Network’s NFL GameDay Morning:
“What I am told is Mike Tomlin met with members of the Steelers coaching staff this week and Todd Haley has been informed he is safe into the 2014 season. Couple of the reasons why is he accepted Ben’s request to run more no-huddle when Ben really calls the plays, Tomlin himself got more involved in the offense, and running backs coach Kirby Wilson also took a more active role in game planning.”

(http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/01/06/Steelers-Should-Talk-to-Munchak.html)

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Like I said Haley finally got out of Ben's way.....Tomlin getting more involved with the offense and Kirby Wilson more active in game planning as well......Todd Haley just collects a check....Don't need that clown.....lol

Real Deal Steel
01-07-2014, 01:29 AM
I don't see Haley for long in this organization anyway. Let it play itself out.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2014, 01:34 AM

To me Todd Haley finally accepting a request by his franchise QB after 1.5 seasons just speaks volumes about Todd Haley......

Before all the Haley defenders start coming at me with their pitch forks, I just want to make it clear that was joking around about Haley just collecting a check.......Its called sarcasm and I one of the most sarcastic *******s you will ever meet...lol

coldrolled
01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
To me DL should retire.

The Steelers weren't the Steelers.

A defense that has allowed 3,000 fewer yards than any other in the league since 2004 couldn't stop big plays, get to the quarterback or regularly stop the run.

Unlike the Steelers offense, which was the NFL's seventh worst during the first half of the season but the sixth best during the second half, the defense wasn't much different. The Steelers (8-8) were 21st defensively during the first half, 20th during the second.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5335745-74/season-steelers-defense#ixzz2piYlgX2c
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Nolrog
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
The Steelers weren't the Steelers.

I agree, the Steelers weren't the Steelers, but this is a factor of a lack of play makers and existing ones getting old or injured. The D needs an infusion of talent more than a change on DC.

LASVEGASGUY
01-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Once Whisenhunt accepts the job in Detroit don't be surprised if he comes calling for Haley. I see no reason for Haley to stick around in this Tomlin circus. First, it comes out that Ben runs the no huddle, then we hear how the "offensive genius" Tomlin and Kirby Wilson interjected themselves into the offense after the crappy start.

So if you listen to the media it sounds like Haley is a clipboard holder and everyone except him is getting credit for the late season push. He is an egomaniac and there is no way he will stick around to be a part of this. Whisenhunt will let him be an offensive coordinator.

TarlsQtr
01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Give DLB good players and he will give you a good defense. The unit lacks playmakers, pass rushers, and frankly got old. He is a coach, not a miracle worker. Compare each sub-unit (DL, LBs, secondary) for talent and age with about 4-5 years ago. For example, is there any question that a younger Kiesel, Aaron Smith, and Big Snack were far superior than Hood, McClendon, Heyward, and old Kiesel? For the LBers. Who is Harrison in his prime on this unit? Farrior? Was LaMarr Fatly better before or after say, 2010? Was Troy and Clark better 4 years ago or the last 1-2 seasons? Ike?

LOL If you look at that drop off, DLB may deserve a raise.

Get7With7
01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Jerry Jones Jr. said the team still could possibly make more changes to the coaching staff.