PDA

View Full Version : Are we really content with being a 500

VTSteelerfan
12-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Are we really content with being a 500 team the last two years... This article makes some good points. just copy and paste link below

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/12/30/keeping-status-quo-means-mediocrity-will-reign-supreme/

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Are we really content with being a 500 team the last two years... This article makes some good points. just copy and paste link below

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/12/30/keeping-status-quo-means-mediocrity-will-reign-supreme/

Good article that simply highlights the writing on the wall. Some have been reading the writing for the last few seasons while others are too busy planning ticker tape parades for Tomlin every time he manges the impossible task of taking a team with a top 5 QB to 8 wins.

LatrobePA
12-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Starting 0-4 I'd say this team did well to get to 500.

K Train
12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Does it really matter if we are content? lol

The team responded well to sucking, they were an inch from the playoffs (brown stepping OOBs) and then a foot (missed FG by succup) from the playoffs. Sucks, but they at least finished on a good note AND the ravens are sitting at home as well

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 10:23 AM
do people even realize that 6-2 was the 2nd best record in the NFL, in the 2nd half of the season?

There's no doubt that this season will give every hater fodder for their agenda.

The franchise is heading in the right direction.
1. Continued Roster Turnover (old out)
2. Continuity of Leadership
3. Continual Development (new in)

ps the linked article is written by a complete moron

K Train
12-31-2013, 10:28 AM
i actually didnt realize it was the 2nd best, there was a corner, and they turned it.

They need to do some work in the offseason, but we can realistically expect ben, bell, brown, heyward, jones, allen, and decastro to be key components next season and be even better. Its a good jumping off point.

The team was SO much better when decastro started playing like a man possessed (he was bad until the first ravens game) and when bell got back from his foot injury

And my morale sure went up when redman was finally cut

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Does it really matter if we are content? lol

The team responded well to sucking, they were an inch from the playoffs (brown stepping OOBs) and then a foot (missed FG by succup) from the playoffs. Sucks, but they at least finished on a good note AND the ravens are sitting at home as well

1. The team supposedly responding well to sucking doesn't change the fact that they sucked horribly for half a season.
2. 6-2 against the Browns, Bills, Detroit, Cincinnati, Rodger-less Packers and Ravens isn't exactly responding but more like playing as they should.
3. Losing to Miami pretty much negates the 6-2 effort.
4. When a team goes 8-8, they are never "inches" from the playoffs. 8-8 teams aren't playoff teams. If they're there, it's because they're lucky and are usually eliminated after one game.
5. The Ravens won the Superbowl last season.

LatrobePA
12-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Beachum at LT has also made a huge difference and IMO was overlooked... As much as I slammed the Spaeth signing, he also made a difference.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 10:32 AM

Some people say your mother is a complete moron, but everyone has their opinion, don't they?

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM

I did not know crash had a website until I read the article.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
The Tomlin cheerleaders continue to completely ignore the softness of the schedule and just keep talking about a 6-2 second half as if that somehow alleviates a 2-6 first half.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-04-18/2013-nfl-schedule-games-teams-times-regular-season-tv-matchups

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
The Tomlin cheerleaders continue to completely ignore the softness of the schedule and just keep talking about a 6-2 second half as if that somehow alleviates a 2-6 first half.

For New Years, you should spend a day replacing "Tomlin" in all of your posts, with "Ben".
It would be funny

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
1. The team supposedly responding well to sucking doesn't change the fact that they sucked horribly for half a season.
2. 6-2 against the Browns, Bills, Detroit, Cincinnati, Rodger-less Packers and Ravens isn't exactly responding but more like playing as they should.
3. Losing to Miami pretty much negates the 6-2 effort.
4. When a team goes 8-8, they are never "inches" from the playoffs. 8-8 teams aren't playoff teams. If they're there, it's because they're lucky and are usually eliminated after one game.
5. The Ravens won the Superbowl last season.

Thank you.

LatrobePA
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM

It happened, get over it... No Heath, Spaeth, Bell to start the season hurt. Top that off with Ben not buying in until mid season we're lucky to of finished 8-8. Honestly give Tomlin credit for keeping this team hungry and together, it would of been easy for the players to start pointing fingers...

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
let's get this straight, 8-8 is nothing to be proud of. I don't know how people have their chest pumped out because their team is 8-8. That is the talk of loser organizations who are happy not to be losing. 8-8 IS NOT a winning record. It is merely treading water. Period.

Go 'Lers
12-31-2013, 10:47 AM

1. No, not happy with .500, more or less happy they finished reasonably well given a terrible start.

2. I stopped reading the article after it called for Haley's firing. Besides the fact that I think Haley's offense is finally working bringing in yet another offensive system for Ben to get used to would be disastrous.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-04-18/2013-nfl-schedule-games-teams-times-regular-season-tv-matchups

Strength of schedule is largely irrelevant. Parity in the NFL is too good.

With that said, we still played 8 games against teams that went to the playoffs the Last year.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
It happened, get over it... No Heath, Spaeth, Bell to start the season hurt. Top that off with Ben not buying in until mid season we're lucky to of finished 8-8. Honestly give Tomlin credit for keeping this team hungry and together, it would of been easy for the players to start pointing fingers...

Latrobe, while others on this site are simply Roethlisberger haters, you were just senile this season. You criticized his play and claimed he sucked it up in every single game. The fact that he finished the season the 6th best QB in the league basically shows what a crazy fool you were all season. There were times where I didn't even know if you were being serious or sarcastic. I hope you get yourself together by next season. Best of luck.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 10:50 AM
It's always good to get a chuckle from those who are clearly upset that we won more games than they wanted us too...

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
1. No, not happy with .500, more or less happy they finished reasonably well given a terrible start.

2. I stopped reading the article after it called for Haley's firing. Besides the fact that I think Haley's offense is finally working bringing in yet another offensive system for Ben to get used to would be disastrous.

Exactly.

You have to be a true hater, to be angry that they went 6-2 down the stretch.
You have to be more involved with your agenda, than being a fan, to have a viewpoint that requires you to find any reason possible to dismiss progress in a positive direction, in favor of your agenda.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Latrobe, while others on this site are simply Roethlisberger haters, you were just senile this season. You criticized his play and claimed he sucked it up in every single game. The fact that he finished the season the 6th best QB in the league basically shows what a crazy fool you were all season. There were times where I didn't even know if you were being serious or sarcastic. I hope you get yourself together by next season. Best of luck.

NYC, while others on this site are simply Tomlin haters, you were just senile this season. You criticized his coaching and claimed he sucked it up every single game. The fact that he finished the season 6-2, and the 2nd best record in the NFL basically shows what a crazy fool you were all season. There were times where I didn't even know if you were being serious or sarcastic. I hope you get yourself together by next season. Best of Luck

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 10:58 AM
There aren't two seasons in the NFL. There's only one season. Continuing to talk about a 6-2 second half is like saying Adolph Hitler wasn't so bad in the first half of his life. This second half talk is just moronic and is nothing more than a Tomlin nut-hugging agenda.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 10:59 AM
There aren't two seasons in the NFL. There's only one season. Continuing to talk about a 6-2 second half is like saying Adolph Hitler wasn't so bad in the first half of his life. This second half talk is just moronic and is nothing more than a Tomlin nut-hugging agenda.

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Let's see how they feel when we lose our draft pick because of Tomlin.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 11:02 AM

like is said...

You have to be more involved with your agenda, than being a fan, to have a viewpoint that requires you to find any reason possible to dismiss progress in a positive direction, in favor of your agenda.

LatrobePA
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Absolutely, I was critical towards Ben, I felt early in the season he was being a baby and refused to buy it. Once he started to you could see the reward, reward being no huddle, more freedom in the offense, less sacks, better decisions.

And I will admit not having Heath, Ben's comfort blanket was a much bigger deal then I thought!

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
New York Giants went 4-1 in the second third of the season. They're great.

JensK
12-31-2013, 11:43 AM
New York Giants went 4-1 in the second third of the season. They're great.

I dont think anyone is saying Steelers is a great team. We're just making the case that steelers is a very improved team over the duration of the season, which is a good sign.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 11:52 AM
I dont think anyone is saying Steelers is a great team. We're just making the case that steelers is a very improved team over the duration of the season, which is a good sign.

But they started 2-6. So even a 4-4 second half would've been an improvement. More importantly, I personally don't watch a team to see them simply improve or progress or evolve. The team isn't my child or science project. I watch the team to see them get into the playoffs and possibly win the final tournament. If others enjoy watching a team suck for 8 games and then play well for 8 games and think that is some kind of accomplishment, fine, but overall the team was a bad team and their 8-8 record is a reflection of that fact.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 11:55 AM
But they started 2-6. So even a 4-4 second half would've been an improvement. More importantly, I personally don't watch a team to see them simply improve or progress or evolve. The team isn't my child or science project. I watch the team to see them get into the playoffs and possibly win the final tournament. If others enjoy watching a team suck for 8 games and then play well for 8 games and think that is some kind of accomplishment, fine, but overall the team was a bad team and their 8-8 record is a reflection of that fact.

So why did you continue watching after a 2-6 start?

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Bingo.

Some find it easier to argue against straw men.

8-8 is the definition of mediocre, but...

...people who cannot see a significant improvement from 2-6 (including losses to the Raiders, Titans, and ViQueens) to 6-2 are just being obtuse. It was a great improvement but no one said the Steelers are "great."

Some just have a weird fetish about disagreeing with things certain posters say.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 11:59 AM

I hear ya Jensk, but I'm (we are) spoiled. I'm used to division titles, Super Bowl appearances,..Steeler fans expectations are much more then most NFL fans. Especially when you have a franchise QB still in his prime. Having a QB like that means that you've got the biggest part of the puzzle solved. But Cap management along with bad talent evaluation has handicapped us.

I can simi-understand the bad talent evaluation; but the cap management is inexcusable. Yet, Colbert's feet are never really held to the fire.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Bingo.

Some find it easier to argue against straw men.

8-8 is the definition of mediocre, but...

...people who cannot see a significant improvement from 2-6 (including losses to the Raiders, Titans, and ViQueens) to 6-2 are just being obtuse. It was a great improvement but no one said the Steelers are "great."

Some just have a weird fetish about disagreeing with things certain posters say.

But it's entertaining to watch them concoct these "big picture" view points, around their "small view".

"I only watch football to see the team make the tourney!!"

"There is only one football season, therefor improved performance over the course of the year is meaningless unless it culminates in something I can praise Ben Roethlisberger for!!!!"

When a team is an odd combination of old/young, and they are in the midst of a cap/rebuild due to a decade of contending and keeping a roster together... said improvement over the course of the year is absolutely a positive.

They are trending in the right direction heading into next year

oh, and don't praise the coach for the turnaround this season... you can only blame him for the early season failure.

(Name the number of coaches who improved their teams winning %, by 100%, from mid season to end of season... ever... seriously... ever)

That's how you know not to take these guys seriously... they have an agenda... all they do is downplay what doesn't fit their narrative.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 12:08 PM
So why did you continue watching after a 2-6 start?

In case they went 7-1 or even 8-0 by some sports miracle.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 12:16 PM
In case they went 7-1 or even 8-0 by some sports miracle.

Then why were you calling for the Steelers to throw games for draft position earlier this season? Those are not the actions of someone hoping for a "sports miracle."

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 12:16 PM
But it's entertaining to watch them concoct these "big picture" view points, around their "small view".

"I only watch football to see the team make the tourney!!"

"There is only one football season, therefor improved performance over the course of the year is meaningless unless it culminates in something I can praise Ben Roethlisberger for!!!!"

When a team is an odd combination of old/young, and they are in the midst of a cap/rebuild due to a decade of contending and keeping a roster together... said improvement over the course of the year is absolutely a positive.

They are trending in the right direction heading into next year

oh, and don't praise the coach for the turnaround this season... you can only blame him for the early season failure.

(Name the number of coaches who improved their teams winning %, by 100%, from mid season to end of season... ever... seriously... ever)

That's how you know not to take these guys seriously... they have an agenda... all they do is downplay what doesn't fit their narrative.

This is just so stupid. No one came into this season thinking there was going to be rebuilding. Rebuild what? The offense is young as can be and the defense is as old as it is because the team refuses to play younger players they already have. The QB is a top 5 QB (top 10 for haters like yourself), and the team is rebuilding?

If the team was rebuilding then why did you and K-Train and Big-T laugh like smug bxxches when everyone else was complaining about the 0-4 preseason start? Why did you guys keep saying "it means nothing" instead of saying "well they're rebuilding."

The team had a soft schedule and enough players to play much better than 8-8. They underperformed. If this was a team full of rookies who started 2-6 and then ended 6-2, then that would be something. But that's clearly not the case. The team played like $hit and that's why they're not in the playoffs despite having the personnel to get in. Keep waving your pom poms for that "second half record."

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 12:31 PM
This is just so stupid. No one came into this season thinking there was going to be rebuilding. Rebuild what? The offense is young as can be and the defense is as old as it is because the team refuses to play younger players they already have. The QB is a top 5 QB (top 10 for haters like yourself), and the team is rebuilding?

Anyone acknowledging the cap and departure of talent over the past 2 years, like myself.

Did the Top 5 QB, play like a Top 5 QB in the 1st half of the season?
He certainly did in the 2nd half... and look at the difference

If the team was rebuilding then why did you and K-Train and Big-T laugh like smug bxxches when everyone else was complaining about the 0-4 preseason start? Why did you guys keep saying "it means nothing" instead of saying "well they're rebuilding."

Good franchises can rebuild and stay in the playoff picture (especially because they have that franchise QB)

I predicted 9 to 10 wins.
I also made a statement that they would need to go 3-1 down the stretch to make the playoffs.

The team had a soft schedule and enough players to play much better than 8-8. They underperformed. If this was a team full of rookies who started 2-6 and then ended 6-2, then that would be something. But that's clearly not the case. The team played like $hit and that's why they're not in the playoffs despite having the personnel to get in. Keep waving your pom poms for that "second half record."

I agree they underperformed. I expected their franchise QB to do more carrying than he did in the 1st half.

It's amazing how much value you RIGHTFULLY place on the QB position. Yet, excuse the performance of that position.
You will write it off on the oline, running game, defense, coaching, etc... but then completely contradict yourself by saying they had the talent to be a playoff team, you say they underperformed.

Which is it?

The Steelers were/are rebuilding their Oline and Defense. They needed exceptional play from their franchise QB to overcome those deficiencies during their rebuild. Many expected that to happen.

You laugh at the ease of the Schedule...yet, Ben played like dog crap against Tennessee to start the year. He had **** games vs Oakland and Chicago too.

Ben had the ball and plenty of time for a comeback win vs Miami, and choked...

Yes, the defense was WAY WAY bigger problem than Roethlisberger
Yes, the offensive line play was bad to start the year...
But those units are being rebuilt.

You have an inability to rationally look at the entire picture.
12 TDs to 15 Turnovers in the 1st 8 games
17 TDs to 6 Turnovers in the 2nd 8 games

tale of 2 different seasons

of course, you will view this as me blaming Ben. I am not.
The defense deserves its share of blame
The running game, the oline, the coaches...

But that doesn't change that we the opportunity to overcome our deficiencies in talent, because we are rebuilding, was there. And Ben didn't seize it.

LatrobePA
12-31-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm not the biggest Tomlin supporter but you have to give the guy credit for being able to keep this team together!

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm not the biggest Tomlin supporter but you have to give the guy credit for being able to keep this team together!

correct. you HAVE to.
Just like you HAVE to give credit to Ben for playing at an All Pro level in the 2nd half.

Coach/Franchise QB are really inseparable in this case. You can tell who the agenda morons are, if they choose to blame 1, and praise the other.

The Steelers were in a rebuilding year.
Tomlin did not have the team prepared coming out of the gate, and did not have the depth prepared to overcome injuries... combined with Ben playing like crap too often in the 1st half... it put them in a massive hole.

In the 2nd half, Tomlin got the team on track, kept them motivated... and Ben played like the All Pro Franchise QB we expect, and the 2nd half was a success.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 12:58 PM

And during that same "supportive time frame" he gets us stripped of a draft pick. Factor that into that "time period" as well. LOL

LatrobePA
12-31-2013, 01:00 PM
And during that same "supportive time frame" he gets us stripped of a draft pick. Factor that into that "time period" as well. LOL

A draft pick that will more then likely be a practice squad player or cut. A late round draft pick is not a big deal.

The fn guy messed up and a pretty good one. Can't deny that but it's not like he's does stupid **** like that all the time.

NYCsteelersfan
12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Anyone acknowledging the cap and departure of talent over the past 2 years, like myself.

Did the Top 5 QB, play like a Top 5 QB in the 1st half of the season?
He certainly did in the 2nd half... and look at the difference

Good franchises can rebuild and stay in the playoff picture (especially because they have that franchise QB)

I predicted 9 to 10 wins.
I also made a statement that they would need to go 3-1 down the stretch to make the playoffs.

I agree they underperformed. I expected their franchise QB to do more carrying than he did in the 1st half.

It's amazing how much value you RIGHTFULLY place on the QB position. Yet, excuse the performance of that position.
You will write it off on the oline, running game, defense, coaching, etc... but then completely contradict yourself by saying they had the talent to be a playoff team, you say they underperformed.

Which is it?

The Steelers were/are rebuilding their Oline and Defense. They needed exceptional play from their franchise QB to overcome those deficiencies during their rebuild. Many expected that to happen.

You laugh at the ease of the Schedule...yet, Ben played like dog crap against Tennessee to start the year. He had **** games vs Oakland and Chicago too.

Ben had the ball and plenty of time for a comeback win vs Miami, and choked...

Yes, the defense was WAY WAY bigger problem than Roethlisberger
Yes, the offensive line play was bad to start the year...
But those units are being rebuilt.

tale of 2 different seasons

of course, you will view this as me blaming Ben. I am not.
The defense deserves its share of blame
The running game, the oline, the coaches...

But that doesn't change that we the opportunity to overcome our deficiencies in talent, because we are rebuilding, was there. And Ben didn't seize it.

Roethlisberger in the first 8 games:

65.63 completion percentage
12 TDs and 9 INTs
291.25 yards per game
25 completions per game
38.5 attempts per game

Second half:

63.77 completion percentage
16 TDs and 5 INTs
241.38 yards per game
22 completions per game
34.5 attempts per game

There simply was not a big enough difference in his game between the first 8 games and the last 8 games to cause the difference in the team's record.

As I mentioned in another thread, Geno Smith, the worst QB in the league ended up on a team with as many wins as Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger played well enough for at least 12 wins, 11 at worst.

If the team is going to lose whenever Roethlisberger plays below his maximum potential, which means he's still playing at an average or even above average level as opposed to his usual great level, and he's going to receive the blame for a loss, then let's go ahead and give him all the credit for every single win.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Roethlisberger in the first 8 games:

65.63 completion percentage
12 TDs and 9 INTs
291.25 yards per game
25 completions per game
38.5 attempts per game

Second half:

63.77 completion percentage
16 TDs and 5 INTs
241.38 yards per game
22 completions per game
34.5 attempts per game

There simply was not a big enough difference in his game between the first 8 games and the last 8 games to cause the difference in the team's record.

holy crap you are delusional...

That's a 2.4 TD to 3.0 Turnovers..... that TD/TO rate.... that's ****ing horrendous...

3.4 TDs to 1.2 Turnovers... that's ****ing terrific

yea, not a big enough difference... why do you insist on being this dumb.

You don't seem to know what stats actually matter...

You're funny.

As I mentioned in another thread, Geno Smith, the worst QB in the league ended up on a team with as many wins as Roethlisberger.

Irrelevant..

Roethlisberger played well enough for at least 12 wins, 11 at worst.

No he didn't. He played well enough for 8 wins.

If the team is going to lose whenever Roethlisberger plays below his maximum potential, which means he's still playing at an average or even above average level as opposed to his usual great level, and he's going to receive the blame for a loss, then let's go ahead and give him all the credit for every single win.

That's what we do with QBs. We give them all the credit they deserve, and even plenty that they don;t (Super Bowl XL). That's the nature of the QB position.

And when you score 13 points in the first 2 weeks... and then follow that up with a 4 turnover game in week 3... and then follow that up with a Week 4 choke job with the ball in your hands and a chance to tie... that's simply a horrendous start to the season. And even though your oline was pretty terrible, you had no running game, and your defense was handing out TDs like candy... YOU (Ben) still completely failed to play anything remotely close to your ability.

0-4 start, and Ben was a big reason why.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Maybe this will make it more clear...

Rank Player Pass TD Rush TD Tot TD INT Fumble Tot TO TD:TO Ratio
1 Foles 27 3 30 2 2 4 7.5
2 Peyton 55 1 56 10 6 16 3.5
3 Brees 39 3 42 12 2 14 3.0
4 Rodgers 17 0 17 6 0 6 2.8
5 Rivers 32 0 32 11 2 13 2.5
6 Luck 23 4 27 9 2 11 2.5
7 Smith 23 1 24 7 3 10 2.4
8 Newton 24 6 30 13 1 14 2.1
9 Kaepernick 21 4 25 8 4 12 2.1
10 Cutler/McCown 32 1 33 13 4 17 1.9
11 Wilson 26 1 27 9 5 14 1.9
12 Brady 25 0 25 11 3 14 1.8
13 Dalton 33 2 35 20 3 23 1.5
14 Ben 28 1 29 14 6 20 1.5
15 Stafford 29 2 31 19 4 23 1.3
16 Ryan 26 0 26 17 4 21 1.2
17 Palmer 24 0 24 22 3 25 1.0
18 Flacco 19 1 20 22 1 23 0.9

That's NOT "Top 5" QB play...

Notice... all the guys in the top 9 are in the playoffs, and only 1 of the top 12 is not....

VTSteelerfan
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
I got to tell you all I live in New england and I just want to know how the Patriots can make the playoffs every year without rebuilding??? Don't say Brady.. Because Ben can stand with him anyday.. I think it's the coaching.. We got out coach a lot this year.. I'm not saying fire our coaches is the answer.. I don't now what the ansewr is, But as a die hard Steeler Fan 8 and 8 isn't cutting it for me.. When that Pats can get there year after year with less talent than we have on both sides of the ball.. I can't stand the patriots but give them credit they know how to do it.. I say this year was a fail..

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Roethlisberger played well enough for at least 12 wins, 11 at worst.

We were 5-3 in games where Ben had MORE TDs than Turnovers (like a top 5 QB should...)
(NYJ, BAL, NE, DET, CLE, BAL, MIA, GB)
20TDs : 5 TOs

We were 3-5 in games where he didn't surpass his TO with TD
(TEN, CIN, CHI, MIN, OAK, BUF, CIN, CLE)
9 TDs : 15 TOs
Not Top 5 play at all... look at your weak *** schedule there.... you're the one who keeps bringing it up

We were 1-5 when Ben turned the ball over MORE than he scored
(TEN, CIN, CHI, MIN, OAK, CLE)
4 of those games against the weakest competition of the year.

The 6 weakest games on the schedule coming into the season were probably CLE, CLE, NYJ, TEN, OAK, MIN (The teams without solidified QB positions)
Ben's numbers in those games
7 TD : 8 TO

He did not play well enough to win 11-12 games.... that's just comical.

He played a ****** first half of the season... anyone denying that is just the highest of homers

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 03:07 PM
I got to tell you all I live in New england and I just want to know how the Patriots can make the playoffs every year without rebuilding??? Don't say Brady.. Because Ben can stand with him anyday.. I think it's the coaching.. We got out coach a lot this year.. I'm not saying fire our coaches is the answer.. I don't now what the ansewr is, But as a die hard Steeler Fan 8 and 8 isn't cutting it for me.. When that Pats can get there year after year with less talent than we have on both sides of the ball.. I can't stand the patriots but give them credit they know how to do it.. I say this year was a fail..

This.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
A draft pick that will more then likely be a practice squad player or cut. A late round draft pick is not a big deal.

The fn guy messed up and a pretty good one. Can't deny that but it's not like he's does stupid **** like that all the time.

That stunt AND I'm dissatisfied with his coaching. I can't get over how this team constantly quit when an O-lineman went down. That's a coaching problem! Because everyone has injuries on the O-line; but while other teams fought threw and worked harder, our team laid down in a fetile position (referring to the Titans game specifically right now).

Sorry but the 8-8 finish doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling like some. Especially in that so called "feel good" second half of the season, the defense goes belly up at home against the Dolphins.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 03:15 PM
That stunt AND I'm dissatisfied with his coaching. I can't get over how this team constantly quit when an O-lineman went down. That's a coaching problem! Because everyone has injuries on the O-line; but while other teams fought threw and worked harder, our team laid down in a fetile position (referring to the Titans game specifically right now).

Constantly? or are you only referring to the Tennessee game.

Because "constantly" is just dead wrong... in fact, almost the complete opposite of what you said, is what actually happened... players on the offensive line stepped up left and right all year.

Velasco, Wallace, Beachum... even Guy Whimper had his moments

Sorry but the 8-8 finish doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling like some. Especially in that so called "feel good" second half of the season, the defense goes belly up at home against the Dolphins.

your feeling isn't based on their play... it's based on picking out the pieces that fit your narrative... and ignoring the other 96%

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 03:27 PM

Yep. Belichick>Tomlin

The problem with this is that if we were to fire Tomlin, Belichick is not going to be hired.

So, firing Tomlin because he is not Belichick is not very wise. I know that you did not say we should fire Tomlin, but many here have.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 03:33 PM
your feeling isn't based on their play... it's based on picking out the pieces that fit your narrative... and ignoring the other 96%

Bingo. They went 2-6 the first 8 games and then 6-2 the final 8. That is the opposite of "quitting." Saying they quit is lazy thinking for "They did not play well."

It is funny how the coach gets all of the blame for a 2-6 start and a team that "quit" (which did not really happen even in the Titans game) and zero credit for keeping them together enough to go 6-2 the final half of the season.

Even a pretzel looks at that "logic" and says that it is twisted.

NYCsteelersfan
01-01-2014, 08:00 AM
holy crap you are delusional...

That's a 2.4 TD to 3.0 Turnovers..... that TD/TO rate.... that's ****ing horrendous...

3.4 TDs to 1.2 Turnovers... that's ****ing terrific

He had 14 turnovers in the first half. Not 15. 7 of those turnovers came in 2 games, both of which the Steelers lost of course. Otherwise he had 7 total turnovers in the other 6 games.

why do you insist on being this dumb.

Probably because your mother and wife are whores.

You're funny.

Here you are responding to a statement that you quoted as if I said it, however, I never said any such thing in my original post; a post which I never edited either. So where exactly you got that quote from is unusual, but I never said "you don't seem to know what stats actually matter..."

Your credibility on this forum is low enough without you falsely quoting people.

Irrelevant..

Geno Smith winning 8 games is irrelevant to what exactly? Roethlisberger's stats? You're right. What Geno Smith's stats along with 8 wins shows is how superior of a head coach a guy like Rex Ryan is; where he can take the worse QB in the league and still win 8 games. Whereas an incompetent head coach like Tomlin needs his QB and every other player to perform perfectly in order to win games.

No he didn't. He played well enough for 8 wins.

Do I really need to trouble myself with typing out Roethlisberger's stats from the Baltimore and Miami games where he played as good as a QB can play and yet both games were still lost?

Only a Roethlisberger hating moron would try to argue that Roethlisberger didn't play well enough for at least 10 wins. Guess what you are? A Roethlisberger hating moron.

That's what we do with QBs. We give them all the credit they deserve, and even plenty that they don;t (Super Bowl XL). That's the nature of the QB position.

That's what ESPN watching, QB groupie bxxches like yourself do. Real football fans know that no individual offensive player is capable of doing his job unless several other players on offense do their jobs as well.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-01-2014, 10:13 AM
He had 14 turnovers in the first half. Not 15. 7 of those turnovers came in 2 games, both of which the Steelers lost of course. Otherwise he had 7 total turnovers in the other 6 games.

Oh, he only had 7 turnovers in the other 6 games? LOL
Listen to the dumb **** you have to say to meet your agenda

Ben had 14 turnovers in the 1st half
Brady had 14 all year
Brees had 14 all year
Peyton had 16 all year
Luck had 11 all year
Cam had 14 all year

Ben played a crap 1st half... anyone denying that should be mercilessly mocked forever for the homerism

this stuff is not difficult. i posted the TD to TO ratios. and showed how they correlate to winning/playoff teams. QBR and TD/TO Ratio are the 2 stats that MOST directly correlate to winning/playoffs... And Ben was simply not good enough.

Rank Player Pass TD Rush TD Tot TD INT Fumble Tot TO TD:TO Ratio
1 Foles 27 3 30 2 2 4 7.5
2 Peyton 55 1 56 10 6 16 3.5
3 Brees 39 3 42 12 2 14 3.0
4 Rodgers 17 0 17 6 0 6 2.8
5 Rivers 32 0 32 11 2 13 2.5
6 Luck 23 4 27 9 2 11 2.5
7 Smith 23 1 24 7 3 10 2.4
8 Newton 24 6 30 13 1 14 2.1
9 Kaepernick 21 4 25 8 4 12 2.1
10 Cutler/McCown 32 1 33 13 4 17 1.9
11 Wilson 26 1 27 9 5 14 1.9
12 Brady 25 0 25 11 3 14 1.8
13 Dalton 33 2 35 20 3 23 1.5
14 Ben 28 1 29 14 6 20 1.5
15 Stafford 29 2 31 19 4 23 1.3
16 Ryan 26 0 26 17 4 21 1.2
17 Palmer 24 0 24 22 3 25 1.0
18 Flacco 19 1 20 22 1 23 0.9

That's NOT "Top 5" QB play from Ben... end of story.

You have a picture of EXACTLY what "good enough to make the playoffs is.... you cant except that, i understand, because it doesn't fit your love story.

Notice... all the guys in the top 9 are in the playoffs, and only 1 of the top 12 is not....

You can run your mouth and make silly comparisons... but the hard core data doesn't lie or choose sides or suck Ben's taint.

Here you are responding to a statement that you quoted as if I said it, however, I never said any such thing in my original post; a post which I never edited either. So where exactly you got that quote from is unusual, but I never said "you don't seem to know what stats actually matter..."

that's a lot of time to spend on a mistake

Your credibility on this forum is low enough without you falsely quoting people.

my credibility had never been higher. no one cares what Team Real Dumb Stupid thinks

Geno Smith winning 8 games is irrelevant to what exactly? Roethlisberger's stats? You're right. What Geno Smith's stats along with 8 wins shows is how superior of a head coach a guy like Rex Ryan is; where he can take the worse QB in the league and still win 8 games. Whereas an incompetent head coach like Tomlin needs his QB and every other player to perform perfectly in order to win games.

it's irrelevant to a conversation about Ben's performance
it's irrelevant to a conversation about Tomlin's performance

Do I really need to trouble myself with typing out Roethlisberger's stats from the Baltimore and Miami games where he played as good as a QB can play and yet both games were still lost?

No you do not need to trouble yourself by cherry picking games you think support your delusion

Only a Roethlisberger hating moron would try to argue that Roethlisberger didn't play well enough for at least 10 wins. Guess what you are? A Roethlisberger hating moron.

Only a true ball washing homer would choose to ignore facts

We were 5-3 in games where Ben had MORE TDs than Turnovers (like a top 5 QB should...)
(NYJ, BAL, NE, DET, CLE, BAL, MIA, GB)
20TDs : 5 TOs

We were 3-5 in games where he didn't surpass his TO with TD
(TEN, CIN, CHI, MIN, OAK, BUF, CIN, CLE)
9 TDs : 15 TOs
Not Top 5 play at all... look at your weak *** schedule there.... you're the one who keeps bringing it up

We were 1-5 when Ben turned the ball over MORE than he scored
(TEN, CIN, CHI, MIN, OAK, CLE)
4 of those games against the weakest competition of the year.

The 6 weakest games on the schedule coming into the season were probably CLE, CLE, NYJ, TEN, OAK, MIN (The teams without solidified QB positions)
Ben's numbers in those games
7 TD : 8 TO

That's what ESPN watching, QB groupie bxxches like yourself do. Real football fans know that no individual offensive player is capable of doing his job unless several other players on offense do their jobs as well.

cute phrase...

coldrolled
01-01-2014, 08:07 PM

This Again...

Real Deal Steel
01-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I second it.

LatrobePA
01-02-2014, 01:03 AM
How many years has Bill been coaching? Tomlin? You learn by experience in this league IMO. MT will be a better coach next year and even better the year after.

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Another none playoff year and I think he'll be on the "official" hot seat.

Töm87
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Just to put things into perspective. We had the one of the EAsiest shedules of the whole NFL.

muncher
01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
How many years has Bill been coaching? Tomlin? You learn by experience in this league IMO. MT will be a better coach next year and even better the year after.

we hear that every year, yet he continues to do the same dumb ****

LatrobePA
01-02-2014, 06:48 PM
we hear that every year, yet he continues to do the same dumb ****

I'm not sold on the guy either but he's been cursed with injuries the past few years. Could you imagine if this team stayed healthy??? Holyshit!!!

muncher
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm not sold on the guy either but he's been cursed with injuries the past few years. Could you imagine if this team stayed healthy??? Holyshit!!!

probably no more than most teams.
tomlin will be screwed when the last few of cowhers players are gone

DBR96A
01-02-2014, 09:43 PM
The only reason the Steelers have had back-to-back 8-8 seasons is because the "bad season" that the Steelers were bound to have with the amount of transition the team has undergone recently did not occur neatly within the confines of one season. It occurred over the second half of last season and the first half of this season. In the last eight games of 2012 and the first eight games of 2013, the Steelers were 5-11. Since that nadir, they're 6-2. Though the secondary will look very different next season, the worst is over for the Steelers.

lancer89074
01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
The Steelers are content on being a .500 team. The mazooma (money) keeps rolling in no matter what record they have. Players and coaching staff alike can field a bad product, make a late charge when their season is over, and sucker in dimwit fans who think they are busting their behinds for them now. I for one don't buy it.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
dimwit fans.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
dimwit fans.

Stop projecting just because your wife and mother are whores.

WindyCityShaker
01-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I must be missing something.......like the post in this or another thread where someone said they were content with being 8-8. The only things I have read are that people are happy the team rallied for a decent finish, and that coaches and players alike should be praised for not giving in; that we're heading in the right direction. I was thankful for getting to watch meaningful football down the stretch, I mean damn this season contained more ups and downs than most any season I can remember. At the half-way mark we had the exact same record as the Texans we could have mailed it in like they did, perhaps that is what those fans who are working to downplay our finish really wanted, a number one pick.

Oh and by the ****ing way anyone who's watched football of recent years would know that the teams that finish strong and get momentum rolling have as good of a shot as the team who's been sitting on the number 1 seed with a month to play. That's why improving throughout the season is important, because you HAVE to fix the defects on your team makes you a better team when all is said and done.

No one is satisfied with the season, who hasn't gone back and relived most every one of those losses? Who doesn't wish AB wore a size 9? Who can't believe that Sushi picked the wrong game to have his only two missed FG's of the season. Why couldn't the crew officiating the SD-KC game just have done their jobs correctly. All of those huge moments over the course of a season but also the missed opportunities, missed throws, fumbles, dropped passes, penalties, blown coverages.........all of it.

Are we or anyone content? **** NO! But that doesn't mean we didn't want one more week of football. Just like the video of Cam in the other thread........"I want one more!"

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I must be missing something.......like the post in this or another thread where someone said they were content with being 8-8. The only things I have read are that people are happy the team rallied for a decent finish, and that coaches and players alike should be praised for not giving in; that we're heading in the right direction. I was thankful for getting to watch meaningful football down the stretch, I mean damn this season contained more ups and downs than most any season I can remember. At the half-way mark we had the exact same record as the Texans we could have mailed it in like they did, perhaps that is what those fans who are working to downplay our finish really wanted, a number one pick.

Oh and by the ****ing way anyone who's watched football of recent years would know that the teams that finish strong and get momentum rolling have as good of a shot as the team who's been sitting on the number 1 seed with a month to play. That's why improving throughout the season is important, because you HAVE to fix the defects on your team makes you a better team when all is said and done.

No one is satisfied with the season, who hasn't gone back and relived most every one of those losses? Who doesn't wish AB wore a size 9? Who can't believe that Sushi picked the wrong game to have his only two missed FG's of the season. Why couldn't the crew officiating the SD-KC game just have done their jobs correctly. All of those huge moments over the course of a season but also the missed opportunities, missed throws, fumbles, dropped passes, penalties, blown coverages.........all of it.

Are we or anyone content? **** NO! But that doesn't mean we didn't want one more week of football. Just like the video of Cam in the other thread........"I want one more!"

I definitely like the thought of one more week of Steeler football. The off-season seems so long.

TarlsQtr
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM

How dare you interject common sense and rational thought. Some would rather argue against straw men...

TarlsQtr
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
I definitely like the thought of one more week of Steeler football. The off-season seems so long.

Says one of the people calling for the Steelers to lose every week for draft position...

LatrobePA
01-03-2014, 02:38 PM

It's very long and boring! Sept. is a long ways away!

WindyCityShaker
01-03-2014, 02:50 PM
It's very long and boring! Sept. is a long ways away!

But Draft day will be here before we know it!

steelchamp204
01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
It's not the fact we are content with finishing 8-8, it was the fact that they finished strong down the stretch at 6-2.

Can't ****ing win with certain posters I guess, it sure hell beats finishing 6-10 or 5-11

Big T
01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
It's not the fact we are content with finishing 8-8, it was the fact that they finished strong down the stretch at 6-2.

Can't ****ing win with certain posters I guess, it sure hell beats finishing 6-10 or 5-11

Exactly. No one around here is "content" with 8-8. However, there are those of us that realize that this team made significant strides from the team that went 0-4 to start the season. There's reason for optimism.

steelchamp204
01-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Exactly. No one around here is "content" with 8-8. However, there are those of us that realize that this team made significant strides from the team that went 0-4 to start the season. There's reason for optimism.

I stated NUMEROUS times, before the season. I thought this was a 6-10 team. If you actually thought this team would go 12-4 or 10-6, it's homerism at it's finest.

We had huge ? at the oline, very old secondary. No Heath for the first how many games. An old Larry Foote who was a stop gap for Spence and Williams(or whatever other LB). Lost Harrison. Starting a true rookie at OLB. Starting a 7th round rookie ILB in Vince Williams.

This team did better than I thought to be honest, I didn't have high expectations for them, even early on.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2014, 04:22 PM
I stated NUMEROUS times, before the season. I thought this was a 6-10 team. If you actually thought this team would go 12-4 or 10-6, it's homerism at it's finest.

We had huge ? at the oline, very old secondary. No Heath for the first how many games. An old Larry Foote who was a stop gap for Spence and Williams(or whatever other LB). Lost Harrison. Starting a true rookie at OLB. Starting a 7th round rookie ILB in Vince Williams.

This team did better than I thought to be honest, I didn't have high expectations for them, even early on.

I too had them at 7-9, give or take one game. You're right, they weren't a very good team coming in. Some on this board want to simply point and say Roethlisberger was playing bad, but Roethlisberger was playing bad because nearly the whole team was playing bad, which is what many expected except for a select few who thought the draft was dynamite for some strange reason.

Nevertheless, the team could've easily gone 10-6 or even 11-5 given the competition and their play. They were out-coached in multiple games, and that's become a trend.

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2014, 05:48 PM

T,

We realize that the team made strides but the ultimate goal was still lost. That's like saying this guy was killed by a direct bullet to the head; but the guy over there was killed by a glancing bullet to the head. Dead is dead. No matter the circumstances. And our playoff hopes are dead; no matter how close it was, dead is dead.

Another case in point is what if the Broncos lay an egg in their first playoff game? Then there's no difference in what they did this year compared to last year. So all those big numbers that Manning put up mean absolutely nothing if they get no further then they did last year. It's about the advancement in wins at the end of the day. Period.

8-8 last year; 8-8 this year. Running in place. Because that's what the record says and the record is the bottom line. Everything else is nothing but a moral victory. And you know what they say about moral victories in football right?

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
They don't realize the team made strides

They speak of the ultimate goal, but can't comprehend the necessary long term strategy to get there.'

We are closer to the goal today, than we were at this time last year.
Younger players are more developed
More older players are moving on
The cap is coming under control
The new offense is fully implemented

get on board fairweather fans

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
T,

We realize that the team made strides but the ultimate goal was still lost. That's like saying this guy was killed by a direct bullet to the head; but the guy over there was killed by a glancing bullet to the head. Dead is dead. No matter the circumstances. And our playoff hopes are dead; no matter how close it was, dead is dead.

Another case in point is what if the Broncos lay an egg in their first playoff game? Then there's no difference in what they did this year compared to last year. So all those big numbers that Manning put up mean absolutely nothing if they get no further then they did last year. It's about the advancement in wins at the end of the day. Period.

8-8 last year; 8-8 this year. Running in place. Because that's what the record says and the record is the bottom line. Everything else is nothing but a moral victory. And you know what they say about moral victories in football right?

To add to this point, this team is not in full rebuild like some keep alluding to. If it was being rebuilt from the ground up, then any progress is good. This team should be winning now, not "rebuilding for the future." What future? The future where Roethlisberger is broke down?

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2014, 07:27 PM
A future without Ben gives me the chills. But..it's a reality we will face in the not too distant future.

lancer89074
01-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Stop projecting just because your wife and mother are whores.

Everybody has a Mother and you sure are a tough guy behind a computer screen. OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh you really frighten me.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Everybody has a Mother and you sure are a tough guy behind a computer screen. OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh you really frighten me.

I wasn't talking to you, but apparently I struck a nerve because your mother is a whore also? That's not my problem.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
To add to this point, this team is not in full rebuild like some keep alluding to. If it was being rebuilt from the ground up, then any progress is good. This team should be winning now, not "rebuilding for the future." What future? The future where Roethlisberger is broke down?

If I were you I'd say:
Show me where anyone said we were in FULL rebuild?

We have been in a rebuild for 2 years. When you cut Super Bowl vets in their twilight, and can't afford to keep the talent you've groomed behind them, you are REbuilding around the talent you ARE able to keep.

It's the economics of the NFL. Some teams do it very quickly, for others it takes a couple seasons, and for the less fortunate it can become perpetual.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
If I were you I'd say:
Show me where anyone said we were in FULL rebuild?

We have been in a rebuild for 2 years. When you cut Super Bowl vets in their twilight, and can't afford to keep the talent you've groomed behind them, you are REbuilding around the talent you ARE able to keep.

It's the economics of the NFL. Some teams do it very quickly, for others it takes a couple seasons, and for the less fortunate it can become perpetual.

I did use the word allude, if you noticed. I never actually said anyone said it. There is enough talent which is being "rebuilt" around for this team to do better than 8-8. This team does not have talent inferior to that of the Jets, Dolphins, Titans, Cowboys, Bears, Rams and Giants.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Some people say your mother is a complete moron, but everyone has their opinion, don't they?

First comment engaging me in this thread...

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2014, 08:42 PM
First comment engaging me in this thread...

Why be coy? You said the article was written by a complete moron, which is the equivalent of insulting anyone who agreed or cited the article. You know what you're doing. Don't act like you don't.

steelchamp204
01-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Can we just have a discussion. Please. Quit with the personal attacks and just discuss the topic at hand.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Why be coy? You said the article was written by a complete moron, which is the equivalent of insulting anyone who agreed or cited the article. You know what you're doing. Don't act like you don't.

I said the article was written by a moron... I wasn't "alluding" to anything.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 08:48 PM
I did use the word allude, if you noticed. I never actually said anyone said it. There is enough talent which is being "rebuilt" around for this team to do better than 8-8. This team does not have talent inferior to that of the Jets, Dolphins, Titans, Cowboys, Bears, Rams and Giants.

So we are in agreement that we've been "rebuilding" around the talent that we have.

Glad that's settled

Dean Denton
01-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Whatever, you all are crazy if you don't think Goodell made KC miss that kick or for the refs to hose this team. Clearly this season is all about Peyton, hense giving him that record on a bogus play. Everyone knows we would have crushed the Bengals and then handled Denver too. This team was hot as hell and would have ruined everything. Seattle is f@cked if they get to the super bowl and face Denver. If they think the calls in SB XL were bad, they haven't seen sh!t yet. This crapping on Pitt is nothing new. Look back at 97,2001, 2002, 2004-05. Now.I'm sure there are more. 10 rings easy if we don't get $hit on every chance the league gets. Who cares about 8-8 if you make the payoffs? Everyone is 0-0 at that point and I'm tired of this team not getting a chance. Seattle better blow Denver out or they are screwed too...

TarlsQtr
01-04-2014, 05:34 PM
This is how I felt...

http://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170048381332289/6240540538715412