PDA

View Full Version : Black Monday for coaches

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Lot of coaches getting whacked so these guys are returning to the coordinator positions they came from.

Swartz was a good DC and Frazier was a good cornerback/secondary coach. If we are going to improve our coaching staff, here's a place we can start looking.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't want Schwartz anywhere near our team...

it's always funny to see the threads that pop up every time someone (player/coach) is cast off from their team.

FlatsSteeler
12-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Both those two are Turds......Schiano will go to Penn State when O'Brien goes to Huston......

LatrobePA
12-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Haley needs to stay, Ben buying into it showed and this team was thriving.

DL will be back as well, again the young guys buying in and learning what he's coaching is key!

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Your probably right Latrobe,

I'm just hoping against hope because I'm tired of DL and his act. And from the points that were put up on this defense, I think it's time that we see someone else's 3-4 defense and give our opponents a bit of a different look. And I'm tired of 10 yard cushions given to any WR that is lined up too.

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Both those two are Turds......Schiano will go to Penn State when O'Brien goes to Huston......

If O'Brien goes to Houston. O'Brien could have been signed but he hasn't.

K Train
12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Im shocked the browns got rid of Chudz, especially since weeden sucked and the team was playing very well with hoyer. I thought they would at least get him a QB this season and not let him go after having to rely on campbell

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
The only thing I ask of DL and it's every season, just press up on the WR a little more, even if they are playing zone. Just stop with the 8-10 yard cushions.

Other than that, I'm fine with him. Just needs to play up on the WR a tad bit more.

K Train
12-30-2013, 12:49 PM
The only thing I ask of DL and it's every season, just press up on the WR a little more, even if they are playing zone. Just stop with the 8-10 yard cushions.

Other than that, I'm fine with him. Just needs to play up on the WR a tad bit more.

they need to get more pressure and it wont matter where the CBs play

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
they need to get more pressure and it wont matter where the CBs play

It wouldn't matter if we played the Rodgers/Mannings/Brees/Bradys of the league, Great QBs with quick releases would still give the secondary fits.

I'm not saying you are wrong, pressure would help out, but great offense would just dink/dunk down the field on us.

K Train
12-30-2013, 01:04 PM
It wouldn't matter if we played the Rodgers/Mannings/Brees/Bradys of the league, Great QBs with quick releases would still give the secondary fits.

I'm not saying you are wrong, pressure would help out, but great offense would just dink/dunk down the field on us.

thats fine, but they chew everyone up and you adjust to them accordingly....get pressure and you dont have guys like tannehill, cassel, locker, ect...doing the same. The best guys are going to be the best, you have to contain them and force them to go where they dont want to, the bottom guys need to look like the bad QBs that they are and thats where pressure is essential

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I predict you will see Haley on a few interviews for the open HC slots.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 02:31 PM

that doesn't make any sense... the depth the CB is playing off the WR is directly related to the type of zone coverage they are running

Rocky#20
12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't want Schwartz anywhere near our team...

it's always funny to see the threads that pop up every time someone (player/coach) is cast off from their team.

I'm with you about Schwartz, he has a screw loose and is undisciplined. Only he could have taken a team with that much talent and finish below .500. If someone like Lovie Smith would take over the Lions, then you could pencil in at least 11 wins.

WindyCityShaker
12-30-2013, 02:42 PM

I think O'Brien will end up in cleveland. I think Houston is Lovie's job.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 02:53 PM
I think O'Brien will end up in cleveland. I think Houston is Lovie's job.

I'll throw some names at the dart board... lol

Houston - Lovie Smith
Detroit - Ken Whisenhunt
Tampa Bay - Jack Del Rio
Minnesota - Darrel Bevell (Sea OC)
Cleveland - Bill O'Brien
Washington - Greg Roman (SF OC)
Oakland - (they haven't fired Denis Allen yet??? lol) - Jon Gruden

WindyCityShaker
12-30-2013, 03:02 PM
I'll throw some names at the dart board... lol

Houston - Lovie Smith
Detroit - Ken Whisenhunt
Tampa Bay - Jack Del Rio
Minnesota - Darrel Bevell (Sea OC)
Cleveland - Bill O'Brien
Washington - Greg Roman (SF OC)
Oakland - (they haven't fired Denis Allen yet??? lol) - Jon Gruden

No Josh McDaniel love? For some reason I though of him for Minnesota. I do like the Del Rio suggestion for Tampa, never thought of that.

K Train
12-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Gruden in oakland cant possibly happen....can it? lol

Big T
12-30-2013, 03:04 PM
@AdamSchefter: Former Bears HC Lovie Smith is considered the favorite for the Buccaneers HC job, based on multiple league sources.

WindyCityShaker
12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
@AdamSchefter: Former Bears HC Lovie Smith is considered the favorite for the Buccaneers HC job, based on multiple league sources.

Yeah he's THEIR favorite, I don't know if it's mutual though. Tampa the one other place I think that has existed for him, especially in light of Schiano's trail of destruction, Lovie would be perfect in that regard. Defensively it would be like slipping on a glass slipper for him, perfect fit. I just can't see passing up on Houston. I think he's actually a great fit for both teams for different reasons. Hell I don't know anymore.

Rocky#20
12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
The Browns now will have 5 coaches in the last 7 years. If you go back 5 Steeler coaches, it would have been Mike Nixon in 1965, almost 50 years ago.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 04:51 PM
No Josh McDaniel love? For some reason I though of him for Minnesota. I do like the Del Rio suggestion for Tampa, never thought of that.

I could see mcdaniel in cleveland...

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I could see mcdaniel in cleveland...

One can only hope.

Seriously though, what coach in his right mind would want to go there?

Jack Hambert
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I never thought I would say this, but Haley should probably stay. The offense has really started to click. My concerns now lie solely on the defensive side of the ball.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Cowher's name is getting thrown around for the Deadskins job. I have my doubts, as I do not see him working for such a meddlesome owner, but anything is possible. The guy could throw a ton of money at Bill.

As long as he does not go to the Clowns. I would rather watch a church burn...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/30/potential-redskins-coaches-include-obrien-cowher-w/

lancer89074
12-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Cowher makes easy and big money on the pre game shows and making commercials now. He doesn't want to coach anymore in spite of delighting in hearing his name mentioned (ego). He was a f'ing boob who was for the most part out coached in so many big time playoff games though his teams had the better talent.

Rocky#20
12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Cowher makes easy and big money on the pre game shows and making commercials now. He doesn't want to coach anymore in spite of delighting in hearing his name mentioned (ego). He was a f'ing boob who was for the most part out coached in so many big time playoff games though his teams had the better talent.

At the most important position, QB, Cowher was always at a disadvantage until he got Ben. If you look at the Super Bowl he lost, we had O'Donnell the Cowboys had Troy Aikman. AFC championship loss to the Broncos, we had Kordell Stewart, they had John Elway. We lost to the Pats in the AFC title game, again we had Stewart they had Tom Brady. Cowher always had a mediocre QB going against future HOF's in playoff games.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
At the most important position, QB, Cowher was always at a disadvantage until he got Ben. If you look at the Super Bowl he lost, we had O'Donnell the Cowboys had Troy Aikman. AFC championship loss to the Broncos, we had Kordell Stewart, they had John Elway. We lost to the Pats in the AFC title game, again we had Stewart they had Tom Brady. Cowher always had a mediocre QB going against future HOF's in playoff games.

If the Cowboys had Odonnell instead, he'd have 3 rings.

ChucktownSteeler
12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
If Cowher ever wanted to coach again it would have been with the Panthers when Fox left.

I don't think you'll ever see Bill on the sidelines again.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2013, 02:13 PM
I agree. And throw Gruden in there too now.

ChucktownSteeler
12-31-2013, 03:29 PM

I thought O'Donnell did play for the Cowboys. Ouch!

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I thought O'Donnell did play for the Cowboys. Ouch!

Corey Holiday ran the wrong route!!!!

TarlsQtr
12-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Corey Holiday ran the wrong route!!!!

Poor Neil!

He has been getting a raw deal from Steeler fans for Holiday's screw up for almost 20 years now. He was a better than average QB (perfect for the system) and easily the best between Bradshaw and Ben (I know, a low bar).

jdehoff83
12-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Dont see either one leaving television scene...seems to be a very good job minus all the stress that comes from being hc

NYCsteelersfan
01-01-2014, 07:08 AM

Thank you. Only a moron would think Cowher got out-coached because he lost Conference games with QBs like Stewart and O'Donnell.

That's probably completely false, but if it were true, then Cowher would've won if he had the Cowboys offensive line, Emmit Smith, Sanders and Irving.

TarlsQtr
01-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Lol It is interesting how Tomlin is 100 percent responsible for every area of the team that is lacking but Cowher is treated as if the Rooneys kept him locked in the bowels of Three Rivers Stadium on draft day.

Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if Tomlin went more than a decade without drafting a franchise QB. For some reason, I doubt he would get the same pass.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2014, 01:41 PM

There is no fact behind this and really just your opinion........Neil wasn't a bum and was a solid QB but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Troy Aikman and say the Cowboys would have won 3 Super Bowls in the 90s with Neil as their starting QB instead of Aikman.....I think you're really over-rating Neil O'Donnell........

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I always love the Corey Holiday ran the wrong route excuse....Funny some can't let Ben have the same excuses when his WR's make mistakes...lol Plus Neil also threw another INT to Larry Brown in that game, I don't knock for his third INT in the game since he came on a hailmary throw at the end of the game when the game was already over......

TarlsQtr
01-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I always love the Corey Holiday ran the wrong route excuse....Funny some can't let Ben have the same excuses when his WR's make mistakes...lol Plus Neil also threw another INT to Larry Brown in that game, I don't knock for his third INT in the game since he came on a hailmary throw at the end of the game when the game was already over......

Believe me, if posters came down on Ben for an INT that was not his fault nearly as much as they do on Neil for that INT, I would question that as well. Neil had great stats and was a good fit with the Steelers, especially when considering the era and the style of team he played on.

My main point is that some give no credit to Tomlin for his accomplishments (Cowher drafted Ben) and all the blame for the deficiencies (crappy OL, defense getting old) but give Cowher the excuse for not winning the big game for most of his career because he had crappy QBs . Let's just have some consistency.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Believe me, if posters came down on Ben for an INT that was not his fault nearly as much as they do on Neil for that INT, I would question that as well. Neil had great stats and was a good fit with the Steelers, especially when considering the era and the style of team he played on.

My main point is that some give no credit to Tomlin for his accomplishments (Cowher drafted Ben) and all the blame for the deficiencies (crappy OL, defense getting old) but give Cowher the excuse for not winning the big game for most of his career because he had crappy QBs . Let's just have some consistency.

Some posters do come down hard on Ben......**** Ben took major flack for his pick-six in Super Bowl XLV and that is ok but his arm was hit in the act of throwing thanks to Kemoeatu being pushed back into Ben.....

Neil had great stats?.....Neil had just solid stats even in 95 when Cowher/Erhardt decided to go 5 wide and throw the ball more...The defending of Neil O'Donnell just baffles me....He wasn't a terrible QB and was a solid QB, but still couldn't get the team over the hump.......I understand Holiday ran the wrong route on the one INT but O'Donnell had an 3 TD to 7 INT ratio in the post season that year......

O'Donnell had a great game stat wise in the 94 AFC title game loss to the Chargers but still he came up three yards short at the end.......I also don't blame just O'Donnell, on that loss since the defense allowed the immortal Alfred Pupunu, to beat them for the go ahead TD....freaking Tim McKyer....lol But still the QB always gets way to much credit when the team wins and way to much blame when the team loses......Like I said he never led the team over the hump so he always be remember as the QB that was good enough to just get the Steelers, there instead of winning it all.....He is in the top five QBs, in team history though, so like I said I do give him some credit for being a solid QB......He was very good at protecting the football and probably was his best attribute as a QB.....

Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Layne, O'Donnell, Stewart I guess.....lol

NeilPatrickBanana
01-01-2014, 03:15 PM
There is no fact behind this and really just your opinion........Neil wasn't a bum and was a solid QB but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Troy Aikman and say the Cowboys would have won 3 Super Bowls in the 90s with Neil as their starting QB instead of Aikman.....I think you're really over-rating Neil O'Donnell........

you figured that out on your own... impressive

im not overrating odonnel... im giving the cowboys oline, running game, WR/TE, Dline and Secondary the credit it deserves....

NeilPatrickBanana
01-01-2014, 03:17 PM

and then there are those of us who look at everything the same way...

NYCsteelersfan
01-01-2014, 03:40 PM
you figured that out on your own... impressive

im not overrating odonnel... im giving the cowboys oline, running game, WR/TE, Dline and Secondary the credit it deserves....

I read your original post before you edited it.

I think you're the epitome of pathetic the way you constantly post and then edit and change the entire post to a different response. The fact that someone actually has the time to post on a sports forum, read their post and think "that's not witty or insulting enough," and then actually edit and change the entire post is so sad. You should do yourself a favor and drop dead. Contrary to what you may think, you have nothing to live for.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I read your original post before you edited it.

I think you're the epitome of pathetic the way you constantly post and then edit and change the entire post to a different response. The fact that someone actually has the time to post on a sports forum, read their post and think "that's not witty or insulting enough," and then actually edit and change the entire post is so sad. You should do yourself a favor and drop dead. Contrary to what you may think, you have nothing to live for.

You mean the post I edited because I was responding to the wrong quote (mistakenly responding to his next post about Corey holiday)

Wow, you got me. Man I feel so stupid. NycLovesBensBalls thinks I should drop dead for editing my response.

Lol, you are a smart person. You should eat more hamburgers. Contrary to your perception you do not eat enough carrots

Oh look another edit: I changed "beef", to "carrots"... To be more witty or tooth paste

Big T
01-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah he's THEIR favorite, I don't know if it's mutual though. Tampa the one other place I think that has existed for him, especially in light of Schiano's trail of destruction, Lovie would be perfect in that regard. Defensively it would be like slipping on a glass slipper for him, perfect fit. I just can't see passing up on Houston. I think he's actually a great fit for both teams for different reasons. Hell I don't know anymore.

@JayGlazer: The Bucs are hiring Lovie Smith to be their new head coach, two sides are finalizing the contract tonight

NeilPatrickBanana
01-01-2014, 09:01 PM
@JayGlazer: The Bucs are hiring Lovie Smith to be their new head coach, two sides are finalizing the contract tonight

Makes perfect sense.
Should we assume Atlanta is letting McKay return to Tampa as Gm? Otherwise, it's a bit odd for Tampa to hire a coach before a GM

K Train
01-02-2014, 08:52 AM
still so surprised chudz was 1 and done in cleveland given the circumstances

NeilPatrickBanana
01-02-2014, 09:03 AM
still so surprised chudz was 1 and done in cleveland given the circumstances

quite an odd move... especially since they haven't let the rest of the staff go.

Manziel to Cleveland?

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2014, 09:05 AM
K, I agree.

And it gets worse because rumor is norv turner is moving on too. To me, all the steps forward the browns seem to have made are just about now gone. It will be nice to have a confined door mat team in the division again. :lol:

LatrobePA
01-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Browns prove why they're the joke of the NFL year in and year out...

K Train
01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
quite an odd move... especially since they haven't let the rest of the staff go.

Manziel to Cleveland?

they traded trent because he wasnt a great fit for dhudz offense and they wanted to get some ammo to make a move for a QB....i cant believe he lost his job relying on jason campbell when they made the move to get him what he'll need to draft a QB early in the year.

They are improved and they were playing very well with hoyer in that offense, just a very surprising move to me

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Hoyer really looked good too. I just don't see why they hit the rewind switch the way they have.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-02-2014, 09:58 AM
they traded trent because he wasnt a great fit for dhudz offense and they wanted to get some ammo to make a move for a QB....i cant believe he lost his job relying on jason campbell when they made the move to get him what he'll need to draft a QB early in the year.

They are improved and they were playing very well with hoyer in that offense, just a very surprising move to me

PFT is floating the idea that if McDaniels is the guy in Cleveland, Mallet could be a trade target.

I'd hate to see that, because I was a huge fan of Mallet, and was dumbfounded when he fell so far... while other teams drafted garbage in the 1st round

K Train
01-02-2014, 10:03 AM
i do think that was hoyers shot at being a starter, now he'll be a backup probabaly for the rest of his career.

Id LOVE mcdaniels to run them into the ground again, at least they probably wouldnt give him any GM powers.

I liked mallet, i thought hed be a 1st or 2nd round pick (thought hed go to Miami), but its still tough to project him...huge arm, statue of a player, but has had enough time to develop probably.

Manziel in cleveland would be weird to see, 1)i dont think manziel would like being in cleveland and 2) he is risky in that he could legitimately end up being like colt mccoy

LatrobePA
01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
McDaniel's is a punk Billy Boy wannabe! He'd do more harm then good! Here in Ohio it's rumored this is for sure the guy they want and couldn't wait to dump Chudz.

K Train
01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
i mean hes a bad GM/HC but i dont think that makes him a punk lol

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2014, 10:34 AM
I don't know K.

He drafted Tebow in the first round when everyone knows he'd have lasted until atleast the 3rd round. And even drafting him then (to be a starter) was idiotic. The guy was as dumb as a bag or rocks reading defenses. He was clearly getting by with that religious stuff.

K Train
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't know K.

He drafted Tebow in the first round when everyone knows he'd have lasted until atleast the 3rd round. And even drafting him then (to be a starter) was idiotic. The guy was as dumb as a bag or rocks reading defenses. He was clearly getting by with that religious stuff.

He was the worst at roster managment.

Traded cutler, traded marshall, traded hillis, traded a first round pick for alphonso smith, then traded sheffler, then traded smith for a 3rd TE...all very weird moves. Plus drafting sloshon and ayers in the first

Big T
01-02-2014, 10:56 AM
He was the worst at roster managment.

Traded cutler, traded marshall, traded hillis, traded a first round pick for alphonso smith, then traded sheffler, then traded smith for a 3rd TE...all very weird moves. Plus drafting sloshon and ayers in the first

I'll never forget laughing when they passed up Orakpo to draft Moreno and then ended up drafting Ayers. I was like he could've had Orakpo and THEN Moreno lol

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Your right T.

I remember too. Especially because Orakpo was sooo highly regarded at the time. Hahahaha. Well, the Browns will go back to being the 1-15 or 2-14 Browns again.

K Train
01-02-2014, 11:13 AM
I'll never forget laughing when they passed up Orakpo to draft Moreno and then ended up drafting Ayers. I was like he could've had Orakpo and THEN Moreno lol

Well the bills passed on orakpo or aaron maybin....

LatrobePA
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
i mean hes a bad GM/HC but i dont think that makes him a punk lol

He was an arrogant dick in Denver, trying way to hard to mimic Bills every moves. I thought it was comical!

lancer89074
01-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I hope that Cleveland hires McDaniels as I think he will prove you guys wrong. I see him being very successful this go around and dominating the likes of the Steelers and Ravens. He is an innovator and is a gifted offensive mind in the NFL and truly can coach players up. We don't have any of those on our staff now. We have a bunch of wannabes who know how to talk smack and little else.

Hoyer and Mallett and yes Tebow will be a formidable upgrade from Campbell and company. Ditka said that Tebow has two things that can't be coached and they are 'character and leadership'. Tebow did win a playoff game for Denver which is more than Manning can say at this point.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-03-2014, 09:26 AM
dimwit fans

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I hope that Cleveland hires McDaniels as I think he will prove you guys wrong. I see him being very successful this go around and dominating the likes of the Steelers and Ravens. He is an innovator and is a gifted offensive mind in the NFL and truly can coach players up. We don't have any of those on our staff now. We have a bunch of wannabes who know how to talk smack and little else.

Hoyer and Mallett and yes Tebow will be a formidable upgrade from Campbell and company. Ditka said that Tebow has two things that can't be coached and they are 'character and leadership'. Tebow did win a playoff game for Denver which is more than Manning can say at this point.

Tebow is a bum. There is a reason that 32 teams DON'T want him. He can't read defenses. He's the classic case of the good looking guy who's as dumb as a bag of rocks. Jethro Bodean (Beveryly Hillbillies) of QB's.

Clearly, McDaniels let his religious beliefs cloud his judgement in drafting Tebow. There is no place for that in the NFL. And...he walked around like he was God's gift to coaching trying to copy Hoody in mannerism and everything else. Say what you want, but Hoody EARNED his way to being aloft, arrogant and off the beaten path. 5 Super Bowls with 3 wins will do that for you.

McDaniels hasn't proven anything other then he's a good offensive coordinator...aka a younger NORV TURNER!

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I see Ray Horton is going to be interviewed by the Browns. That would be a good hire. Horton would keep that defense tight and let Norv Turner run the offense.

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Browns also interviewing....JIM TRESSELL??

I didn't know marijuana became legal in Ohio too? Just thought it was Colorado.

Rocky#20
01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Browns also interviewing....JIM TRESSELL??

I didn't know marijuana became legal in Ohio too? Just thought it was Colorado.

LOL That's a good one. I was driving home when it came on the radio that the Brown's were interviewing Tressell and I almost ran off the road I was laughing so hard.