PDA

View Full Version : I'm proud of this team.

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Go ahead and flame me, but this team never gave in.

Started 0-4 and made it a 8-4 down the stretch. They played hard all the way through the season. I know they shot themselves in the foot at times, but we had a 7th round LT playing and a 7th round rookie middle LB/Rookie OLB and a average Dline this whole season besides Heyward.

I love the improvements of

1. Bell
2. Beachum
3. Wallace (short time frame, but played well at C)
4. Brown
5. DD
6. Gilbert
7. C. Allen

I just feel proud the way this team finished. I know they are only 8-8 and that isn't good enough, it is just the fact that seeing this team progress throughout the season to become a much much better team is just as good as making the playoffs.

I feel this defense is only a NT and CB away in the draft to becoming the Hitzburgh Steelers again like is was about 3 years ago. I feel Haley and Ben are on the same page now and they will be ready to roll next season if they can stay healthy.

-Move on from Ike/Keisel/Clark

-Ask Troy to make a major restructure to help with cap hit.

-Offer Worilds a reasonable offer without overpaying.

-Offer Hood a small contract for depth.

-On the fence about Sanders.

Rant over, but I think this team had a very good "rebuilding" season in my opinion.

TarlsQtr
12-30-2013, 01:24 AM
No reason to flame one word you said. This team made great progress throughout the year.

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Started 0-4 and made it a 8-4 down the stretch. They played hard all the way through the season. I know they shot themselves in the foot at times, but we had a 7th round LT playing and a 7th round rookie middle LB/Rookie OLB and a average Dline this whole season besides Heyward.

1. Bell
2. Beachum
4. Brown
5. DD
6. Gilbert
7. C. Allen

I just feel proud the way this team finished. I know they are only 8-8 and that isn't good enough, it is just the fact that seeing this team progress throughout the season to become a much much better team is just as good as making the playoffs.

I feel this defense is only a NT and CB away in the draft to becoming the Hitzburgh Steelers again like is was about 3 years ago. I feel Haley and Ben are on the same page now and they will be ready to roll next season if they can stay healthy.

Rant over, but I think this team had a very good "rebuilding" season in my opinion.

A good post. The only thing I change is I am not on the fence with Sanders. Let him go and re-sign Cotchery. Wheaton to me looks like the real deal and needs playing time. Draft a "big" receiver in the mid to late rounds.

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 08:49 AM
No reason to flame one word you said. This team made great progress throughout the year.

I'm still not sold on Jarvis Jones yet, I think the offseason will do him wonders when he adds on weight. He has a good bull rush but needs to work on setting the edge a lot better and work on his hand technique. He did have a decent game against the Browns though and Joe Thomas.

LatrobePA
12-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Yes they did it just bothers me they started slow... Heath IMO was a big reason this offense was so so to start the season.

Bell is very bright star... I also think Jones will be ready to make some noise!

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
6-2 in the second half of the season... that's the type of performance a franchise can be proud of in a rebuild. They'll never call it that, but that's exactly what the last 2 years have been. Some teams are perpetually rebuilding. Things are looking good for the franchise to be set up to make a couple more runs with Ben in the next 5 years. The rebuild is well on it's way, and headed in the right direction.

Last year, with an aging roster, we went 3-5 in the 2nd half... and then with more roster turnover we started 2-6 this year... that's a 5-11 season spread over 2 years...

Things are headed in the right direction. We are getting young again....

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm going back to my 1st opinion on who we should get in the first, I'm going with Nix if he falls that far. Not sure where we are drafting yet, didn't look it up. WR in the 2nd, not sure who will be there and Fuller maybe in the 3rd. Ok, back on track.

Anyone else think we should cut Ike this offseason? I just don't see him being an impact next season. Maybe if he takes a huge paycut.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm going back to my 1st opinion on who we should get in the first, I'm going with Nix if he falls that far. Not sure where we are drafting yet, didn't look it up. WR in the 2nd, not sure who will be there and Fuller maybe in the 3rd. Ok, back on track.

Anyone else think we should cut Ike this offseason? I just don't see him being an impact next season. Maybe if he takes a huge paycut.

we are drafting 15th

LatrobePA
12-30-2013, 10:12 AM
we are drafting 15th

And what position? Say no to Oline, 7 sacks in the last 7 games is awesome. That's something to be proud of!

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Got to get the D-line together to be dominant once again. Then you'll really see JJ shine from the LB position.

Cornerback, additional LB help. As well as safety help. That's what the defense needs.

LatrobePA
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Is there any badass NT's coming out? We need a plug!

NYCsteelersfan
12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
While I respect your ability to look on the bright side, I don't share it. People seem to be forgetting that the Steelers were slated to have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL before the season started and the preseason prediction held true. The Bengals were the only team that ended up slightly tougher than expected while a Rodger-less Packers and a miserable Baltimore team ended up being worse than expected. The other teams were all basically crap as expected, and yet this team managed only 8 wins against all the crap they played. The season wasn't just a failure because they didn't make the playoffs. The season was a huge failure because the team should've easily made the playoffs.

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 01:24 PM
While I respect your ability to look on the bright side, I don't share it. People seem to be forgetting that the Steelers were slated to have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL before the season started and the preseason prediction held true. The Bengals were the only team that ended up slightly tougher than expected while a Rodger-less Packers and a miserable Baltimore team ended up being worse than expected. The other teams were all basically crap as expected, and yet this team managed only 8 wins against all the crap they played. The season wasn't just a failure because they didn't make the playoffs. The season was a huge failure because the team should've easily made the playoffs.

To each his own, I'm just an optimist with this team. Maybe I'm just happy the Oline played well down the stretch and Ben and Haley are on the same page, playing good football.

Töm87
12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
I am not proud of a team that loses to Miami in a do or die game at home, in the snow.
I think we need a reality check here. It's not like this team got some impressive wins in the second half of the season. Most wins came against mediocere teams. The only real big win was Cincinatti.
The way this team played in the first half of the season was down right pathetic and unacceptable for the steelers organisation. The level of coaching was mindblowing and by no means acceptable. Second half of the season was better but still nothing to get exited about.
A lot of things have to be fixed if we want become the standard of the NFl again.

JensK
12-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Is there any badass NT's coming out? We need a plug!

Louis Nix out of Notre Dame fits the bill, and he miiiiight just linger around the 15th pick with a little luck! He could go much sooner though.

LatrobePA
12-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Louis Nix out of Notre Dame fits the bill, and he miiiiight just linger around the 15th pick with a little luck! He could go much sooner though.

Make it happen.. :)

steelchamp204
12-30-2013, 01:52 PM
I was all for Nix at the beg of the season. I don't know if we will get him, it will be close. This team needs a NT, I like Jernigan out of FSU, but he needs to put on some weight.

I know one of the guys here like Ego Ferguson also.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I was all for Nix at the beg of the season. I don't know if we will get him, it will be close. This team needs a NT, I like Jernigan out of FSU, but he needs to put on some weight.

thats me!

Jernigan is not a fit for a 3-4

WindyCityShaker
12-30-2013, 02:10 PM

I like Nix, and nabbing him would go a long way towards fixing our woes up front, but we would still be lacking at the back end. It's amazing at the improvement of Haley/Ben/Bell/OLine/Offense during the season where I thought we had to go offense in the draft to where we are now, where I'm constantly looking at the defensive side, especially knowing that most of our holes that we choose not to replace will be on that side of the ball.

As NPB put in another post we don't have a FS on this roster. I'm all over Ha Ha, the possibility of he and Shamarko growing and learning together could be really special. I don't know if Jernigan is coming out this year, I haven't paid attention?

WindyCityShaker
12-30-2013, 02:14 PM
thats me!

Jernigan is not a fit for a 3-4

I didn't feel like he was either, but I don't feel like Ego is either to be honest, at least not where is at physically right now.

Rocky#20
12-30-2013, 02:15 PM
The Steelers could have easily been 8-0 the last half of the season. Suisham false starts on a FG that we lose to the Ravens by 2 points and Sanders drops the 2 point conversion in the game. After giving up 34 points to a bad Dolphins offense, we pull out a miraculous lateral play to win the game except that Brown with a clear shot to the end zone steps out of bounds by a quarter of an inch.
Remember too that Heath and Bell missed the first 3 games because of injury.

Rocky#20
12-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I see that Mel Kiper,Jr. has Aaron Donald rated somewhere in the late first or early second round. What if we draft Nix in the first round and then take Donald in the second? Our front 3 would be Donald, Nix and Heyward.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I didn't feel like he was either, but I don't feel like Ego is either to be honest, at least not where is at physically right now.

Ego definitely has the frame and raw strength, Jernigan does not

Ego has a very enticing speed/strength combo. I think you can do a lot of things with him in a 34 front.

JensK
12-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I see that Mel Kiper,Jr. has Aaron Donald rated somewhere in the late first or early second round. What if we draft Nix in the first round and then take Donald in the second? Our front 3 would be Donald, Nix and Heyward.

Personally, I think Donald is more of a 4-3 end, but I would be tempted if he fell to us in the second regardless.

Go 'Lers
12-30-2013, 05:01 PM

I'm a little unnerved that he has spent the last few off seasons in a row flirting with other teams. I know guys want to get paid but he's doing fine here and all he's doing is causing headaches in our front office with cap space.

K Train
12-30-2013, 07:53 PM
it was just last season and he was a RFA that was made an offer....that is perfectly allowed lol

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2013, 08:24 PM

1. Bell
2. Beachum
4. Brown
5. DD
6. Gilbert
7. C. Allen

I'm not proud of the 2013 Steelers but I'm not going to flame you if you feel different.....I'm still kind of ticked that this team easily could have been a 11 win team but it is what it is at this point so really no point in me being bent out of shape about it......

Heyward became a BEAST this year and he will be a force next year.....Along with many of the other players you mentioned........OL really was solid when you consider all the injuries again this year but they do need to improve in their run blocking but Rome wasn't built in a day.....

2013 is in the books........Hopefully the team can make a Super Bowl run or two in the next few years.......

K Train
12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Im glad everyone sees how good heyward was in a less than glamourous position working with **** (mcclendon and hood) around him

Blitzburghpete
12-31-2013, 04:39 AM
Great thread and great OP :)

I'm proud of my team and even if they eneded up 0-16 i still would be. I'm in this for the long haul :) 6 rings baby :)

Anywho - Last 8 weeks of the season felt like a different season to me. One time incompitent young players ended up looking like studs ! Give me hope the 2014 steelers will be better.

Lots of could have's would haves, over the course of the year will have meant we'd be in the playoffs right now, but that's football folks, a game of inches...