PDA

View Full Version : The refs blew the call but Hood should know better!

Stone
12-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Below is an interesting link demonstrating just how badly the refs blew the call on the blocked field goal but Ziggy Hood is the real idiot here. I think every player from pee-wee on up knows you can't bat the ball.....dumb play.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24385064/refs-gift-packers-the-ball-after-steelers-illegal-batting

Troyisabeast_43
12-22-2013, 10:29 PM
A better question is on this play why in the hell is Ryan Clark trying to lateral the ball to somebody when you are near the sideline and have absolutely no chance of advancing the ball any further. Ziggy was a moron for doing what he did but if Clark just falls on the ball instead of trying to pitch it back like an idiot when the Steelers clearly werent going anywhere with the ball the Steelers keep the ball and none of that play ever happens...

Stone
12-22-2013, 10:40 PM
A better question is on this play why in the hell is Ryan Clark trying to lateral the ball to somebody when you are near the sideline and have absolutely no chance of advancing the ball any further. Ziggy was a moron for doing what he did but if Clark just falls on the ball instead of trying to pitch it back like an idiot when the Steelers clearly werent going anywhere with the ball the Steelers keep the ball and none of that play ever happens...

IDK, if Gay handles that lateral clean he could have gone the distance, the kicker is the only guy he would have had to beat. Maybe the lateral is just exuberance, and maybe it was Clark trying to make something big but batting the ball is a 100% dumb idea.

TarlsQtr
12-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Below is an interesting link demonstrating just how badly the refs blew the call on the blocked field goal but Ziggy Hood is the real idiot here. I think every player from pee-wee on up knows you can't bat the ball.....dumb play.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24385064/refs-gift-packers-the-ball-after-steelers-illegal-batting

You can bat the ball, just not forward. He was trying to bat it sideways and out of bounds.

Big T
12-22-2013, 11:12 PM
IDK, if Gay handles that lateral clean he could have gone the distance, the kicker is the only guy he would have had to beat. Maybe the lateral is just exuberance, and maybe it was Clark trying to make something big but batting the ball is a 100% dumb idea.

Not really. Ziggy could've seen that Clark had possession and then lost it. Meaning it was a live ball and that if GB had recovered, it would've been their ball. You can bat the ball out of bounds. It happens. You just can't do it forward.

Rocky#20
12-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Or how about after the ball is kicked just walk over to the sideline and you get the ball from where it was kicked. It was a horrific call by the refs, but Clark never should have tried to lateral it and Gay should have held onto the ball. By the time the ball got to Ziggy he was just tying to keep the ball from being recovered by the Packers.

LatrobePA
12-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Heat of the moment I give him a pass...

Stone
12-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Heat of the moment I give him a pass...

I give Clark that pass and Gay too, but all Hood had to do is take the ball out of bounds with him, fall on it, anything but bat it forward.

LatrobePA
12-22-2013, 11:37 PM
All any of them had to do was just fall on the fn thing. lol fundamental football, it's coached.

steelersbabex25
12-22-2013, 11:38 PM
I give Clark that pass and Gay too, but all Hood had to do is take the ball out of bounds with him, fall on it, anything but bat it forward.

Obviously he couldn't fall on the ball. He was already on the ground..that's why he tried to bat it.

mdk02
12-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Watch the replay.. the ref right behind the line throws a flag when everyone is scrambling for the ball, what was that flag thrown for? It was well before Ziggy batted the ball before.

Stone
12-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Obviously he couldn't fall on the ball. He was already on the ground..that's why he tried to bat it.

?????? Who was already on the ground? Hood wasn't.

steelersbabex25
12-22-2013, 11:43 PM
?????? Who was already on the ground? Hood wasn't.

Ah I just re-watched it. My bad, I thought he was.

Big T
12-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Watch the replay.. the ref right behind the line throws a flag when everyone is scrambling for the ball, what was that flag thrown for? It was well before Ziggy batted the ball before.

That was the first flag thrown for holding against Troy. They picked the flag up. The flag on Ziggy was thrown by the ref on the sideline (if I'm remembering correctly).

JensK
12-23-2013, 06:25 AM
I hate that batting rule. Initially, I thought Ziggy just failed at scooping up the ball. After watching it a few times, I'm not convinced that he did not bat it, however I'm not sure either. Those rules which rely on judgement calls from the judges generally blows...

JensK
12-23-2013, 06:26 AM
That was the first flag thrown for holding against Troy. They picked the flag up. The flag on Ziggy was thrown by the ref on the sideline (if I'm remembering correctly).

It was the holding call indeed. Which likely was more legit than everything that transpired afterwards.

coldrolled
12-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Well, if we could beat backup qb's and rookie qb's easily we would not need to talk about this one play... What does our defense need in players or need to start doing to handle these average and below average qb's??? Ben and Haley cant keep scoring like this and then almost lose. Flynn marched down the field with ease...

steelersbabex25
12-23-2013, 10:26 AM
I hate that batting rule. Initially, I thought Ziggy just failed at scooping up the ball. After watching it a few times, I'm not convinced that he did not bat it, however I'm not sure either. Those rules which rely on judgement calls from the judges generally blows...

Yeah it's irrelevant though. Steelers had possession so the batting never should have come into play anyway.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, if we could beat backup qb's and rookie qb's easily we would not need to talk about this one play... What does our defense need in players or need to start doing to handle these average and below average qb's??? Ben and Haley cant keep scoring like this and then almost lose. Flynn marched down the field with ease...

What are you talking about???

Flynn completed 53% of his passes
Flynn was sacked 3 times, threw a pick, and fumbled
He threw for 232 yards, hardly marching up and down the field numbers
He had a 6.4 QBR and a 69.6 Passer Rating

LatrobePA
12-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah it's irrelevant though. Steelers had possession so the batting never should have come into play anyway.

Complete blown call. We've seen these type of things happen all year for all 32 teams. Replacement refs would make these turds look good!

steelersbabex25
12-23-2013, 02:42 PM
This game has just become too complicated. These is a second job for the majority of these refs. I'm sure they don't have time to sit around and read the rule book on their free time.

Stone
12-24-2013, 12:03 AM
This game has just become too complicated. These is a second job for the majority of these refs. I'm sure they don't have time to sit around and read the rule book on their free time.

Yep....and it's only going to get worse! As long as Roger and the owners turn a blind eye to HGH and PED's and then try to change rules to keep people from getting hurt.....it will only get worse!

lancer89074
12-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Bats is the operable word here as in 'bats in the belfry'. What a pathetic season. I hope that Ben goes to Arizona because no human being should have to put up with his kind of misery. I admire him too much to have to experience all of this nonsense. What a bunch of frauds this coaching staff is now and starting with Tomlin on down.