PDA

View Full Version : Shameful attendance in 2013

Go 'Lers
12-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm calling out the fans that left 8,000 seats on average at Heinz Field empty during the course of this year.

Attendance link here ----> http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Seriously, we boast that we're the best fans and we can't fill up our own stadium??? I've been living in Columbus, OH for the past two years and I still have the time to get to two home games a year. (most recently the Bears and Lions games)

I don't even want to hear that the reason is we're having a bad season, we're 28th in attendance percentage between JACKSONVILLE and ST. LOUIS!!! What is going on?!?

LatrobePA
12-18-2013, 10:38 AM
It's a shame but I'm saying the product this team put on the field this year has scared fans away...

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 11:07 AM
It's sad seeing all the empty seats at Heinz Field. I would be happy as hell to have season tickets.

Crowds have been lame all year also. I laugh when they say Heinz field is intimidating place to play. I think it's one of the quietest stadiums in the NFL to be honest.

LASVEGASGUY
12-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Get used to it. As long as Tomlin is around attendance will continue to spiral down the drain. I used to fly from Vegas to Pittsburgh to catch at least one game a year. I won't do it again until the buffoon is gone.

SnakeEyes43
12-18-2013, 11:43 AM
When you have back-to-back non-winning seasons...

The 0-4 start didn't help either.

Real Deal Steel
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
There is an article coming out in USA Today weekly about what changes the Steelers need to do in the off-season.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-18-2013, 12:24 PM
It's a shameful product that was put on display on the field this year also....

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 12:27 PM

That doesn't matter, you support your team no matter what. If you have season tickets. Sell them then, don't hold onto them and not go to the games. It just makes the fans look spoiled, that if you're not winning, it's not worth our time showing up. I never understood that about fans. I'm a Orioles fan and still go down and catch a few games a season, even when they had scrubs on the team before they Got Weiters/Jones/Machado and Co.

There are only 8 home games a season, I can understand not selling out every baseball gameor basketball game due to the amount of home games they get. But, in football there are only 8 total home games. That's it.

LASVEGASGUY
12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
That doesn't matter, you support your team no matter what. If you have season tickets. Sell them then, don't hold onto them and not go to the games. It just makes the fans look spoiled, that if you're not winning, it's not worth our time showing up. I never understood that about fans. I'm a Orioles fan and still go down and catch a few games a season, even when they had scrubs on the team before they Got Weiters/Jones/Machado and Co.

There are only 8 home games a season, I can understand not selling out every baseball gameor basketball game due to the amount of home games they get. But, in football there are only 8 total home games. That's it.

I heard the season ticket holders in Pittsburgh couldn't give their tickets away for the Bengals game, so selling them was not an option, plus, TicketMaster was selling tickets right up until kickoff. I think the attendance would have been much worse if the Cincy fans didn't travel to Pittsburgh. If we played a team with it's fan base many, many miles away like the Raiders I think you could have wipe out another 5,000 to 10,000 people from the final count on Sunday.

K Train
12-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Its embarrassing really. Id go to every game if i could but its sad that fans want to be part of a fan base that is known to be well traveled and insanely loyal and a ****** year turns them to fair-weather fans

LatrobePA
12-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Think of Pittsburgh... Blue collared city, hard working men and woman be it steel mills etc. Do you really think these people are or should spend their hard earned money on this team this year??? I'm no bandwagon fan but I'd have other things to spend my money on.

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Think of Pittsburgh... Blue collared city, hard working men and woman be it steel mills etc. Do you really think these people are or should spend their hard earned money on this team this year??? I'm no bandwagon fan but I'd have other things to spend my money on.

Actually, Yes. The Steelers and Pens are the main teams in that city. Well, you can say the Pirates now, but it has always been about the Steelers.

It's embarrassing. I would love to trade places with season ticket holders, even if they sucked. I live 3 hours away from Pitt and I would still drive that every home game this season.

LatrobePA
12-18-2013, 01:26 PM
everyone's different my man... :)

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 02:14 PM
everyone's different my man... :)

I get that, and respect that. But, If you go to Pitt, it is all about the Steelers. I get why some fans don't show up, but to be ranked 28th is pathetic. Especially for a team who hasn't had a losing record in how many years.

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
As much money as it cost to go to a game and the product that has been on the field that last two seasons, I get it. It's not just the steelers, it's the NFL product as a whole. Whenever there's a big hit, no one celebrates, they all look at the ref first to see if a flag is being thrown. The NFL is turning to sh!t. Hybrid arena league, nothing more. There were 5 teams that scored 30+ points and lost. That's a first. That's a joke. That's not NFL football. People aren't just turned off by this sorry *** team, they are turned of by the product the NFL is putting out. I know I'm not alone when I say this new style NFL is off putting, so I'm not giving any sh!t for not going to the games. I stopped Sunday ticket for this reason and once Ben is gone I'm sure I will be too.

Go 'Lers
12-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Not a strong argument I'm afraid, Jacksonville is beating us in attendance and their team is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Not a strong argument I'm afraid, Jacksonville is beating us in attendance and their team is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E

And what do you call the Steelers if not horrible, pathetic, disgraceful, shameful, and completely embarrassing? I wouldn't pay money to watch these scrubs. Not to mention our coach embarrassed everyone with his idiocy. Can you blame anyone for avoiding being seen at a game?

Go 'Lers
12-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Blue collar? Hardly!

I get that there are blue collared people in this city but for the most part this city is well of financially with a low cost of living. I cannot believe how bad fan support in this city is right now...unbelievable

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Maybe when they give a reason to go. Something to believe in. Yes, steeler fans are spoiled babies, but is that our fault. They set the bar/expectation not the fans. They are the ones that bleed integrity, yet they allow this team to be something way less. No, as fans we deserve better. They've gotten enough of our money that they should always at least be competitive.

Forged in Steel
12-18-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm not blaming the Steelers' past two seasons on this, but I believe Heinz Field was built with too small a capacity. Even when the Steelers were dominating just a few years ago, the max attendance was only 65,000 per game. They really should have made Heinz field hold around 75,000 to 80,000 seats.

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm not blaming the Steelers' past two seasons on this, but I believe Heinz Field was built with too small a capacity. Even when the Steelers were dominating just a few years ago, the max attendance was only 65,000 per game. They really should have made Heinz field hold around 75,000 to 80,000 seats.

It's a poorly designed stadium. I get they want the City backdrop to make it look cool when you are in the stadium, but other than that. The stadium is ugly as hell. It's hardly loud do to the fact that all the nlise goes out the open end. I think they could have done a better job designing the stadium. Yes, it should at least hold 75k

coldrolled
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
It's a shame but I'm saying the product this team put on the field this year has scared fans away...

A good way to get the Rooney's Attention.

coldrolled
12-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Modell had a full Cleveland stadium for years... Maybe Cleveland needed to stay home and maybe Modell would have upgraded the team a bit more and faster back then... He figured why should I fix whats working fine for me, im full every week, no need to win the big one..

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
A good way to get the Rooney's Attention.

Rooney is to busy with Obama :lol:

coldrolled
12-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Rooney is to busy with Obama :lol:

The thought of that happening makes this year even worse.

steelchamp204
12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
The thought of that happening makes this year even worse.

Well, Rooney supporting ObamaCare made me about throwup also.

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Modell had a full Cleveland stadium for years... Maybe Cleveland needed to stay home and maybe Modell would have upgraded the team a bit more and faster back then... He figured why should I fix whats working fine for me, im full every week, no need to win the big one..

Not even close to being the same NFL as it was then. People would fill stadiums to see big hits. You don't get that anymore. Not without a flag and a fine. People aren't lining up to see 40 point shoot outs. You can do that with arena league for half the price. These steelers are not what fans want to see.

Forged in Steel
12-18-2013, 11:38 PM
These steelers are not what fans want to see.

No, we don't want to see the Arena Football League Steelers. On the other hand, I believe the Steelers need to adapt to this new Arena NFL because it's never going to go away. Their offense needs to be built around a "shootout" based system (which includes play calling as well).

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 12:06 AM
No, we don't want to see the Arena Football League Steelers. On the other hand, I believe the Steelers need to adapt to this new Arena NFL because it's never going to go away. Their offense needs to be built around a "shootout" based system (which includes play calling as well).

Unfortunately you're right. However, living in Seattle and seeing first hand that defense can still be a huge part of your team I have a little faith. They don't have a high octane offense and its their defense that puts them in a position to win every week. I think Wilson is a stud, but lets be honest, I think there are 15 QBs in this league that could win with this team. I'd rather build a team like Seattle over what Denver has.

steelchamp204
12-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Yes, and have Ben go back to 50+ sacked seasons and miss 2-4 games a season. That's what we need. The offense is fine, the line needs to gel and get healthy for next season. The Steelers main issue is on the defensive side of the ball and the defensive scheme.

If Rex Ryan is let go by the Jets this season, you better believe I am getting rid of DL and going to the means of "firing" him to get Rex.

If DL wants to linger around and linger around when he knows that this team needs a major overhaul, then they can fire him for all I care. I don't care if he "deserves" better than that.

coldrolled
12-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Some DC needs to create a new defensive scheme that can kill this arena football crap... There has to be a way to turn the tables.

Back in the day, if a team didn't get 140 yards rushing they usually didn't win the game. Earl Campbell days folks.. We never let him get more than 60 yards. One game maybe.

There has to be a way to reverse this no need for a run game trend.

TarlsQtr
12-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Some DC needs to create a new defensive scheme that can kill this arena football crap... There has to be a way to turn the tables.

Back in the day, if a team didn't get 140 yards rushing they usually didn't win the game. Earl Campbell days folks.. We never let him get more than 60 yards. One game maybe.

I think the "no need for a run game" mantra is incorrect. If you compare last years rushing numbers to say, 1978, the current backs are running for far more yards. 1000 yards rushing used to be a measure of greatness, now it is virtually mediocrity.

The biggest differences I see are 1) The speed of the game (a lot more high tempo offenses) 2) The way teams run (e.g. relatively more ZBS than power run teams) 3) teams are now passing to set up the run, the complete opposite of 20-30 years ago.

We think of of the Broncos as the perfect example of a passing team, yet Moreno will end up with about 1100 yards (which would have been top 5 or 6 in 1978) even though he has been protected a lot by the Donkeys as they try to keep him healthy for the playoffs. Ball probably ends up with upper 5's to around 600 yards.

LASVEGASGUY
12-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Well, Rooney supporting ObamaCare made me about throwup also.

This is another reason why Tomlin isn't going anywhere. The Rooney's are on a pilgrimage to help the black man. Wouldn't surprise me if we draft a black QB this year as well.

LASVEGASGUY
12-19-2013, 12:07 PM

We can't fill 65,000 seats now and you want to go to 75,000 to 80,000?

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 01:11 PM
This is another reason why Tomlin isn't going anywhere. The Rooney's are on a pilgrimage to help the black man. Wouldn't surprise me if we draft a black QB this year as well.

There are none for them to draft.

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
We can't fill 65,000 seats now and you want to go to 75,000 to 80,000?

I know, it's already too big if they're going to lose. Not to mention people aren't wanting to waste money on live games as much when we all have huge TVs at home. Live games are $$$ and who wants to go watch a crap team?

LatrobePA
12-19-2013, 02:20 PM
The Steelers have stunk two years in a row! Yes let's blame the fans for not showing up! Maybe it should be a wake up call for the owners to get involved and make some changes..

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Not sure what changes can be made or could have been made to keep this team from stinking. You could make a strong argument that if we don't suffer so many injuries we would have had back to back 12 win seasons, fighting for a number 1 seed both years. Do we blame the guys in charge of the field because it keeps blowing out knees or do we blame the conditioning coach for not having our players ready to play. Or do the owners blame themselves for allowing a new CBA that limits practice and sending players into games when they're not ready for live action? Please elaborate on who needs to get the blame here...

TarlsQtr
12-19-2013, 02:51 PM
For me, it is a perfect cap storm. We had Super Bowl teams that were kept together and got old. Some missed draft picks, always picking near the end of each round, and sprinkle in some bad contracts (again, in order to keep the team together). I do not believe it is really a case of assigning blame but just the natural cycle of the salary cap and the NFL.

This team would be in an uphill battle now regardless of who was owner, head coach, DC, OC, line coach, etc.

LatrobePA
12-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Changes, stop paying old has beens...

WindyCityShaker
12-19-2013, 03:56 PM

Who says the run game is irrelevant? The cowboys rushed for some 200 yards against the bears two weeks ago, it was the first time in a long time I can remember a team rushing for that much in a loss.

I like what Mike McCarthy considers as good offensive balance "Being able to run the ball when you want to.

WindyCityShaker
12-19-2013, 03:58 PM
I think the "no need for a run game" mantra is incorrect. If you compare last years rushing numbers to say, 1978, the current backs are running for far more yards. 1000 yards rushing used to be a measure of greatness, now it is virtually mediocrity.

The biggest differences I see are 1) The speed of the game (a lot more high tempo offenses) 2) The way teams run (e.g. relatively more ZBS than power run teams) 3) teams are now passing to set up the run, the complete opposite of 20-30 years ago.

We think of of the Broncos as the perfect example of a passing team, yet Moreno will end up with about 1100 yards (which would have been top 5 or 6 in 1978) even though he has been protected a lot by the Donkeys as they try to keep him healthy for the playoffs. Ball probably ends up with upper 5's to around 600 yards.

Ugh I should really read through all of the replies before I respond myself. Good point Nei.....I mean Tarls.

lancer89074
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Loyalty and fidelity works both ways. Seems as if the ownership is more interested in having this franchise as a mere hobby and they do not take seriously the on field product. Steeler football is a big part of our lives or has been that for me for many years.

IMO the Steelers are losing their loyal fan base. I have been following them since 1961 and have never felt the way I do now. I am no longer proud of my team and I feel they are going in the wrong direction. The insiders know who is responsible... we can only guess.

I only now remember the pressure D of Bud Carson and reminisce about the past now. Pittsburghers have a history of loving great defense even more than a high flying offense. I feel very sad about the current state of things...

SuperSteelers
12-20-2013, 02:10 AM
On the other hand, I believe the Steelers need to adapt to this new Arena NFL because it's never going to go away.

If fans would stop supporting the No Fun League than the league would have no other choice but to make changes. I pray that the overall NFL attendance drops every year, but the way society is nowadays people accept mediocrity and will continue to go to games and buy merchandise. It's actually really sad.

Dean Denton
12-20-2013, 02:49 AM
If fans would stop supporting the No Fun League than the league would have no other choice but to make changes. I pray that the overall NFL attendance drops every year, but the way society is nowadays people accept mediocrity and will continue to go to games and buy merchandise. It's actually really sad.

Fans that hate this new NFL can stop watching and it won't matter. Fantasy football has a whole new breed of fan, and they are all that matters now. Make them go away and we'll have a better chance at football going back to something close to what we remember. End fantasy football now, it's ruining the game....

WindyCityShaker
12-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Fans that hate this new NFL can stop watching and it won't matter. Fantasy football has a whole new breed of fan, and they are all that matters now. Make them go away and we'll have a better chance at football going back to something close to what we remember. End fantasy football now, it's ruining the game....

More people may watch the game because of fantasy football, more people are NOT watching because of the rule additions/modifications. In fantasy football you need to have the players that out score the other players, the number of yards/tds doesn't matter, you just need more than the other guy. So it doesn't matter how many points are scored just that you have the players that score the most. It's hard to get out what I'm trying to say but basically there is no relation between fantasy football and the rule changes, viewership....yeah probably, but not the rule changes. To think otherwise would be foolish.

The NFL has set this scoring pace in effect in order to attract MORE fans, not alienate the old school fan. Super Bowls almost annually break Nielsen records now because of this. What, do you think that more households suddenly bought more tv's over the past 10 years? If you don't like the increase in scoring, name me another sport that has scoring going down? I'll wait for your answer.

Now as for the physicality of the sport being reigned in, that's a completely different conversation.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Football is awesome... go watch Rugby if you don't like it anymore.

Fastrod
12-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Actually, Yes. The Steelers and Pens are the main teams in that city. Well, you can say the Pirates now, but it has always been about the Steelers.

It's embarrassing. I would love to trade places with season ticket holders, even if they sucked. I live 3 hours away from Pitt and I would still drive that every home game this season.

Forget season tickets. I have went to every home game for the last three years by buying tickets from stubhub or nfl ticket exchange. Wait till week of game to buy and tickets usually go for half price or cheaper.

steelchamp204
12-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Forget season tickets. I have went to every home game for the last three years by buying tickets from stubhub or nfl ticket exchange. Wait till week of game to buy and tickets usually go for half price or cheaper.

I was thinking about going to the Browns game. Hell, you can probably get tickets for $50 a piece.

Fastrod
12-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I was thinking about going to the Browns game. Hell, you can probably get tickets for $50 a piece.
Watch stubhub closely Monday and Tuesday. tickets that need to be send UPS will drop in price real fast. Should be able to get nice lower bowl tix for $50 to $70 each which includes shipping and stubhub fees.

steelchamp204
12-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Watch stubhub closely Monday and Tuesday. tickets that need to be send UPS will drop in price real fast. Should be able to get nice lower bowl tix for $50 to $70 each which includes shipping and stubhub fees.

I just check some out. $65 for upper level EE/KK sections. I'll wait until Tuesday.

Dean Denton
12-20-2013, 12:24 PM
More people may watch the game because of fantasy football, more people are NOT watching because of the rule additions/modifications. In fantasy football you need to have the players that out score the other players, the number of yards/tds doesn't matter, you just need more than the other guy. So it doesn't matter how many points are scored just that you have the players that score the most. It's hard to get out what I'm trying to say but basically there is no relation between fantasy football and the rule changes, viewership....yeah probably, but not the rule changes. To think otherwise would be foolish.

The NFL has set this scoring pace in effect in order to attract MORE fans, not alienate the old school fan. Super Bowls almost annually break Nielsen records now because of this. What, do you think that more households suddenly bought more tv's over the past 10 years? If you don't like the increase in scoring, name me another sport that has scoring going down? I'll wait for your answer.

Now as for the physicality of the sport being reigned in, that's a completely different conversation.

Um, yeah, people who play fantasy football are watching too. A lot of them are a new fan base that wasnt there before. And when I say a lot, there's a lot. Mike&Mike went over this and the fan base they generate is massive. So what I'm saying is because even if the die hard fan stops watching its not going to break the bank as far as $$ goes for the NFL.

LASVEGASGUY
12-20-2013, 01:15 PM
There are none for them to draft.

Wasn't it rumored Colbert was scouting Taj Boyd? There is always Bridgewater too.

LASVEGASGUY
12-20-2013, 01:17 PM

You might be able to get tickets with a free tank of gas after the Packers beat us.

WindyCityShaker
12-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Um, yeah, people who play fantasy football are watching too. A lot of them are a new fan base that wasnt there before. And when I say a lot, there's a lot. Mike&Mike went over this and the fan base they generate is massive. So what I'm saying is because even if the die hard fan stops watching its not going to break the bank as far as $$ goes for the NFL.

I didn't say they aren't watching, I said they aren't the reason for the high scores, I think you misinterpreted something. Of course the NFL would survive, was that even a question?