PDA

View Full Version : This league is ****ing bullshit anymore. NFL looking into devastating hit on Punter.

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bengals-punter-huber-reportedly-done-season-broken-jaw-223637096--nfl.html

Cincinnati Bengals punter Kevin Huber suffered two major injuries on a 67-yard punt return by the Pittsburgh Steelers' Antonio Brown in the first quarter of Sunday night's game, which will end Huber's season, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Huber was blocked by the Steelers' Terence Garvin on a very questionable hit (although no penalty was called) that likely will be reviewed by the league office for possible punishment.

Watch the video below for yourself: Should Garvin be fined, or possibly suspended, for his helmet-to-chin hit on the unsuspecting punter? And moreover, was it a legal hit? Debate raged on Sunday night through Monday on social media, and NBC's Cris Collinsworth seemed to sign off on the legality of it during the broadcast.

Former NFL rules czar Mike Periera, now working for Fox, seemed to disagree with what Collinsworth said.

And here's the rule, straight out of the NFL's Rule Book:

"It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture ... [including] a kicker/punter during the kick or during the return."
In addition:

"Forcibly hitting the defenseless player's head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet or facemask is lower than the passer's neck and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him [is illegal]."
It could have been penalized. It might draw a fine. It could earn Garvin a suspension. And it did send Huber to the hospital for a very serious injury.

This league is going to be destroyed in 10 years. Book it.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-17-2013, 09:40 AM

The league/game may be very different in 10 years. But none of the changes are going to destroy it.

I know plenty of people who firebreath over this stuff, and exactly zero of them are going to quit watching football...

Raise your hand if you are going to stop contributing revenue to the NFL?
Are you going to stop watching the games?
Are you going to stop going to games?
Are you going to stop watching NFL network?
Are you going to stop listening to Sports Radio?
Are you going to stop purchasing apparel?

The league will be fine, fans will whine, but they won't be going anywhere.

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Huber was within feet of making the tackle. It was a well timed and legal hit, too bad he was hurt but it's football. Don't want to take the risk? Stay home and tug on your nut skin!

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 09:50 AM
The league/game may be very different in 10 years. But none of the changes are going to destroy it.

I know plenty of people who firebreath over this stuff, and exactly zero of them are going to quit watching football...

The only fans who won't leave are the ones who have to be part of the norms with society. There are plenty of people out there who don't watch football already as it is.

I used to watch Basketball all the time being a Bulls fan. I haven't watched a game in over 2 seasons now due to the way the NBA is anymore. I know it's not as popular as Football is, but I have no urge to watch basketball anymore.

-I never watch the NFL network, I hardly even watch ESPN.
-I go to a game every other year, not going isn't a big deal anymore due to the fact you spend about $300 easily. I get a ----better view at home
-Never listen to sports radio
-I have enough apparel to last me another 20 years
-I work every Sunday so I never see a game unless recorded. I'm out for now due to a shoulder injury.This is the first time I have seen more than 4 live games in a season since I was 16. l'm 25 now, so 9 years.

Lunchbucket
12-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Huber was within feet of making the tackle. It was a well timed and legal hit, too bad he was hurt but it's football. Don't want to take the risk? Stay home and tug on your nut skin!

Hate to see anyone get hurt,but, what was Garvin supposted to do ? Not block Huber and see if he tackled Brown ,or,Yell at Huber "hey buddy try and be more aware out here ".Not sure how Huber is"defenseless"when he is proceeding toward the ball carrier. unfortunate he was hurt.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-17-2013, 10:02 AM
The only fans who won't leave are the ones who have to be part of the norms with society. There are plenty of people out there who don't watch football already as it is.

I used to watch Basketball all the time being a Bulls fan. I haven't watched a game in over 2 seasons now due to the way the NBA is anymore. I know it's not as popular as Football is, but I have no urge to watch basketball anymore.

-I never watch the NFL network, I hardly even watch ESPN.
-I go to a game every other year, not going isn't a big deal anymore due to the fact you spend about $300 easily. I get a ----better view at home
-Never listen to sports radio
-I have enough apparel to last me another 20 years
-I work every Sunday so I never see a game unless recorded. I'm out for now due to a shoulder injury.This is the first time I have seen more than 4 live games in a season since I was 16. l'm 25 now, so 9 years.

so, if you are not doing any of those things... you giving up the sport as a fan, would have no impact on the NFL

NeilPatrickBanana
12-17-2013, 10:03 AM

by rule, it was 100% an illegal hit

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 10:12 AM
by rule, it was 100% an illegal hit

Shame.

coldrolled
12-17-2013, 10:16 AM
There was some chin music on that one... Heath's hit last year sucked to. we lost this season because of it. And not getting Eifert.. LOL

Stone
12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bengals-punter-huber-reportedly-done-season-broken-jaw-223637096--nfl.html

It's possible that this league will be in shambles in ten years but not because of hits or rules. The league is out of control with it's greed and this greed is the cause of the idiotic rules changes and the cover-ups regarding concussions and injuries. They refuse to police PED's and HGH because they make billions by having these killing machines on the field on Sunday...........it's just a matter of time until someone forms a legitimate law suit which could bring the league down.

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
so, if you are not doing any of those things... you giving up the sport as a fan, would have no impact on the NFL

That's not where I am getting at to be honest lol. I already know the NFL doesn't give a **** about us fans. I knew that 15 years ago.

Speeed
12-17-2013, 10:41 AM
I bet we lose a draft pick . . .

Speeed
12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Huber's head hit the tackler. His momentum brought it forward into Garvin's helmet. So, if we want to get really technical, that would be the explanation. Which happens in many of these hits. The laws of physics apparently don't apply in the league.

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Huber's head hit the tackler. His momentum brought it forward into Garvin's helmet. So, if we want to get really technical, that would be the explanation. Which happens in many of these hits. The laws of physics apparently don't apply in the league.

They don't care what the opposition does, they only look at what the defender did and what he could have done differently.

Speeed
12-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Counseling - just before the hit!

They don't care what the opposition does, they only look at what the defender did and what he could have done differently.

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Counseling - just before the hit!

I fully understand you point of view. I'm just saying that they will not look at it that way.

Speeed
12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I know steelchamp, I was just kidding.

I fully understand you point of view. I'm just saying that they will not look at it that way.

jdehoff83
12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
does this convo change any if we are talking about someone other than a kicker?

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 11:30 AM

No, because it was a Steeler.

Big T
12-17-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure how an opposing player attempting to make a take is "defenseless"... It wasn't a crack back block. He was running right toward him.

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure how an opposing player attempting to make a take is "defenseless"... It wasn't a crack back block. He was running right toward him.

Agreed. He was within feet if making a tackle.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/ezeba5eh.jpg

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Punters by rule are considered defenseless. No matter what

Big T
12-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Retarded. They should just kick the ball and run off the field then.

jdehoff83
12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Wasnt there another guy that got crushed on that run back to? Im sure he didnt get hurt like the punter but i cant stop thinking about the fact that hes a kicker and how many reps do kickers get? I feel bad for the guy but hey lets not forget where you are either.

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Put a red shirt and mini skirt on them...

Big T
12-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Wasnt there another guy that got crushed on that run back to? Im sure he didnt get hurt like the punter but i cant stop thinking about the fact that hes a kicker and how many reps do kickers get? I feel bad for the guy but hey lets not forget where you are either.

Exactly. Every year you see kickers get smacked and are told to keep their head on a swivel. It's just stupid to me that someone who is on the field and can make a tackle is "always considered defenseless." Maybe the NFL needs to allow 12 players on the kicking team so the punter can kick the ball and run to the sidelines.

TarlsQtr
12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Exactly. Every year you see kickers get smacked and are told to keep their head on a swivel. It's just stupid to me that someone who is on the field and can make a tackle is "always considered defenseless." Maybe the NFL needs to allow 12 players on the kicking team so the punter can kick the ball and run to the sidelines.

They want the illusion that punters/kickers are football players just like the NL wants to pretend that pitchers are baseball players.

WindyCityShaker
12-17-2013, 12:31 PM

I think it absolutely changes then, as someone else just pointed out the league considers the punter defenseless. By strict interpretation it's an illegal hit. You aren't going to like hearing it, but it was excessive force, he could have just shoved the punter. I know....I know.....then put on dresses and play.

Look I'm not saying it was dirty hit or ill intended, he acted in the heat of the moment. I'm sure he's a fine person, who unfortunately got a little carried away. What I do hope happens is that the league realizes this is a rookie with no priors, probably making the minimum, and they assign an "appropriate" fine, not try and take a huge chunk of the guys' salary. Bunch of players will probably pass the hat to help out anyway.

Hockey went through something very similar, excessive physicality or fighting for the most part have been removed from the game. Attendance and TV viewing are at an all time high. Leagues have to protect their stars.......I know....I know.....the punter isn't a star. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 12:41 PM

You're right, fans will whine but won't go anywhere. Most of them anyways. They will lose fans though and I think it will be because with the rule changes and lack of defense. However, none of this is going to hurt the league as far as money goes. Mike&Mike did a show on this a few weeks ago. Most the fans that whine about the rule changes will still watch because its still football. Golic said where it won't hurt the league financially losing fans is because fantasy football generates a huge fan base of casual fans that never existed before. So we can whine about the lack of running game, lack of defense and a ridiculous amount of points being scored, resulting in game that has become unrecognizable to die hard fans, but the brand NFL won't care and won't change because they will still rake in $$ because of fantasy football allowing them to do whatever they want. So say what you want, but in the end the NFL won't lose fans to make a difference, but it will lose die hard football fans. I already know I will be one of them. At least the passion I once had for the sport will be gone. It's already been fading. I don't look forward to it like I use to and cancelled my Sunday ticket two years ago. I know I'm not alone in this, but it won't matter.

Lunchbucket
12-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Punters have been known to make tackles. Maybe they should punt the ball and then quickly remove themselves from the field of play as to not be blocked like a football player

NeilPatrickBanana
12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
You're right, fans will whine but won't go anywhere. Most of them anyways. They will lose fans though and I think it will be because with the rule changes and lack of defense. However, none of this is going to hurt the league as far as money goes. Mike&Mike did a show on this a few weeks ago. Most the fans that whine about the rule changes will still watch because its still football. Golic said where it won't hurt the league financially losing fans is because fantasy football generates a huge fan base of casual fans that never existed before. So we can whine about the lack of running game, lack of defense and a ridiculous amount of points being scored, resulting in game that has become unrecognizable to die hard fans, but the brand NFL won't care and won't change because they will still rake in $$ because of fantasy football allowing them to do whatever they want. So say what you want, but in the end the NFL won't lose fans to make a difference, but it will lose die hard football fans. I already know I will be one of them. At least the passion I once had for the sport will be gone. It's already been fading. I don't look forward to it like I use to and cancelled my Sunday ticket two years ago. I know I'm not alone in this, but it won't matter.

When the fan who pretends they will "walk away", actually walk away... I'll believe it.

On this board, at the bar, at a family dinner, out with friends... everyone is saying the same thing..."oh the game is unrecognizable", "the league is being ruined", "I hate the NFL", "rule changes are ruining the game", "the NFL is going down the tubes"... and then they all tune in to watch the game, they all want to monday morning QB with what happened on Sunday, etc

The league will be fine. The fans are all talk.

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 12:59 PM
When the fan who pretends they will "walk away", actually walk away... I'll believe it.

On this board, at the bar, at a family dinner, out with friends... everyone is saying the same thing..."oh the game is unrecognizable", "the league is being ruined", "I hate the NFL", "rule changes are ruining the game", "the NFL is going down the tubes"... and then they all tune in to watch the game, they all want to monday morning QB with what happened on Sunday, etc

The league will be fine. The fans are all talk.
I guess we'll agree to disagree because I know at least ten people that don't tune in like they use to. And i dont even know that many people. Haven't given up completely but don't watch it like they use to. Their interest isn't even close to what it once was and like I said I'm one of them. I know three people, me being one that cancelled Sunday ticket because its not worth the money. IMO Goodell is ruining the game. Can't wait for London to have a team!!!! Oh how exciting will that be?

NeilPatrickBanana
12-17-2013, 01:05 PM
I guess we'll agree to disagree because I know at least ten people that don't tune in like they use to. And i dont even know that many people. Haven't given up completely but don't watch it like they use to. Their interest isn't even close to what it once was and like I said I'm one of them. I know three people, me being one that cancelled Sunday ticket because its not worth the money. IMO Goodell is ruining the game. Can't wait for London to have a team!!!! Oh how exciting will that be?

You never liked football much to begin with, if helmet to helmet penalties and roughing the QB calls cause you to give up the game as a fan...

jdehoff83
12-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Dont get me wrong id love to see a jacked up kicker blowing jacoby jones up but most of them arent built like that....they just kick and dont worry about benching trucks and all.. aside from what we are actually discussing here with the hit itself.. but if you throw a senate member in with a gladiator my money is on the gladiator ...bengals need to dial up matt turk he was kinda beastly

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 01:15 PM
You never liked football much to begin with, if helmet to helmet penalties and roughing the QB calls cause you to give up the game as a fan...
Or it could be that teams averaging 30 points a game is watering down a product that didn't need to change from what it was doing. I don't have an issue removing helmet to helmet contact but when it results in an increase in injuries because now knees are being targeted that's an entire different thing. There are many changes that have taken place that have turned me off. I also believe they can fix these things to reduce the amount of points being scored and give something to the defense to at least give the appearance that this game isn't so one sided.

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Watching these overpaid idiots celebrate after a play makes me want to stop watching... LOL

Goodell is selling an entertainment.... The integrity of the game has been blown out the window!

TarlsQtr
12-17-2013, 01:34 PM
F-U Tomlin:
“It’s not what we’re looking for and not what we want,” Tomlin said, adding that Garvin properly executed a block but not for that situation. “But the play happened pretty quickly.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/17/Tomlin-Woodley-out-for-Sunday-possibly-season/stories/201312170133#ixzz2nl56knin

I guess with a draft pick hanging over his head he will agree to anything Goodell says. lol

Woodley also out Sunday and possibly for the season.

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 01:38 PM
F-U Tomlin:

I guess with a draft pick hanging over his head he will agree to anything Goodell says. lol

Woodley also out Sunday and possibly for the season.

I really dislike Trip'n Tomlin!

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 01:43 PM

You can't judge a fan on his own personal preferences as to why he is not as passionate about watching football anymore, that is his own judgement to make, it doesn't make him any less of a fan of the Steelers. That's just stupid.

It's just not the penalties on the Qbs and personal fouls, even though it has contributed. The issue is, everything is geared towards the offensive side of the ball, I shouldn't have to explain this as you have already witnessed this over the past 4 seasons.

Fans questioning every penalty/td/fumble anymore are more of a concern, because everything is so ticky tacky and in detail to the point. I think the refs have gotten worse over the past 5 years because of all the rule changes, they think everything should be called a penalty anymore because of the pressure of replays and how much technology goes into the games and how many calls aren't made because the replay picks them up.

The issue is, the NFL has to many rules, to let the players be physical and play. That's what makes Hockey and Soccer so great to watch. They let the players play and the REFs have little impact on the outcome on the game.

TarlsQtr
12-17-2013, 01:48 PM
That's what makes Hockey and Soccer so great to watch. They let the players play and the REFs have little impact on the outcome on the game.

Did you really just say that soccer is "great to watch?" ;-)

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Did you really just say that soccer is "great to watch?" ;-)

I'm not a huge soccer fan by any means. But I do watch the BPL on Satrudays/Sunday and I really get into the WC when the US plays.

I find it, relaxing to watch because it's a different sport.

Ugh, I knew I'd get **** for that lol

coldrolled
12-17-2013, 01:55 PM
That's what makes Hockey and Soccer so great to watch. They let the players play and the REFs have little impact on the outcome on the game.

once the passion is gone from the fans, the game is dead, the league cant go back and say hey fans... were letting the players hit each other again come back and watch the old nfl....

I know a lot of people that retired their time from the nfl as hard core fans.

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 01:56 PM
You can't judge a fan on his own personal preferences as to why he is not as passionate about watching football anymore, that is his own judgement to make, it doesn't make him any less of a fan of the Steelers. That's just stupid.

It's just not the penalties on the Qbs and personal fouls, even though it has contributed. The issue is, everything is geared towards the offensive side of the ball, I shouldn't have to explain this as you have already witnessed this over the past 4 seasons.

Fans questioning every penalty/td/fumble anymore are more of a concern, because everything is so ticky tacky and in detail to the point. I think the refs have gotten worse over the past 5 years because of all the rule changes, they think everything should be called a penalty anymore because of the pressure of replays and how much technology goes into the games and how many calls aren't made because the replay picks them up.

The issue is, the NFL has to many rules, to let the players be physical and play. That's what makes Hockey and Soccer so great to watch. They let the players play and the REFs have little impact on the outcome on the game.

Chris Carter was on Mike&Mike today and they had a great segment that talked about this issue. I couldn't agree with them more. If anyone wants to argue this topic one way or another this was a great segment to watch. They covered all the rule changes, lack of defense and how all these things are having a negative impact on the game. Also touched on how fantasy football is ruining any chance of this changing because of the money it generates. Sometimes I think I'm brilliant in my evaluation but hey, who am I to argue with people that have such an open perspective on the game? I'm too smart sometimes...

TarlsQtr
12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Chris Carter was on Mike&Mike today and they had a great segment that talked about this issue. I couldn't agree with them more. If anyone wants to argue this topic one way or another this was a great segment to watch. They covered all the rule changes, lack of defense and how all these things are having a negative impact on the game. Also touched on how fantasy football is ruining any chance of this changing because of the money it generates. Sometimes I think I'm brilliant in my evaluation but hey, who am I to argue with people that have such an open perspective on the game? I'm too smart sometimes...

I'm not sure if FF is the real culprit. I am in the FF "Super Bowl" this week and I do not care if I win 74-70 or 130-125. Hell, I'd be happy with a TE that can consistently give me 7-8 points per week right now. ;-)

This is happening across numerous sports. It is the "NASCARization" of the NFL. I grew up around the end of the Petty era when Earnhardt was ascending and the more old school fans absolutely hate the newer generation that started with Jeff Gordon. The yuppy urban metrosexuals have money and counteract the loss of "old school" (I am 42 but NYCSteelerfan insists I am an old man, so I must be) fans. I do not spend nearly as much as I used to on the sport because of this, even though I am an hour from one track and can drive to, watch a race, and get home from the best track in all of the sport (Bristol) in a day. The fan base is shifting but not really declining.

The analogy kind of fails here though. I cannot imagine not watching football.

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if FF is the real culprit. I am in the FF "Super Bowl" this week and I do not care if I win 74-70 or 130-125. Hell, I'd be happy with a TE that can consistently give me 7-8 points per week right now. ;-)

This is happening across numerous sports. It is the "NASCARization" of the NFL. I grew up around the end of the Petty era when Earnhardt was ascending and the more old school fans absolutely hate the newer generation that started with Jeff Gordon. The yuppy urban metrosexuals have money and counteract the loss of "old school" (I am 42 but NYCSteelerfan insists I am an old man, so I must be) fans. I do not spend nearly as much as I used to on the sport because of this, even though I am an hour from one track and can drive to, watch a race, and get home from the best track in all of the sport (Bristol) in a day. The fan base is shifting but not really declining.

The analogy kind of fails here though. I cannot imagine not watching football.

I was a huge Earnhardt fan growing up, I'm 25 now. When he died in the crash I watched Nascar for a couple more years rooting for Jr. Now, I haven't watched a race in about 4 years or so. I live about 1 1/2 away from Pocono. Just no motivation to go, and the tickets are cheap as hell.

K Train
12-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I was a huge Earnhardt fan growing up, I'm 25 now. When he died in the crash I watched Nascar for a couple more years rooting for Jr. Now, I haven't watched a race in about 4 years or so. I live about 1 1/2 away from Pocono. Just no motivation to go, and the tickets are cheap as hell.

No ****? Im from tannersville/stroudsburg area

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 03:38 PM
No ****? Im from tannersville/stroudsburg area

Hell, my old lady loves shopping them Tannersville outlets. I'm up here in Williamsport man!

K Train
12-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Hell, my old lady loves shopping them Tannersville outlets. I'm up here in Williamsport man!

That crazy, i used to live 1/4 mile from the outlet malls. Now im in philly though

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Now im in philly though

Sorry to hear that... LOL

Real Deal Steel
12-17-2013, 04:16 PM
That crazy, i used to live 1/4 mile from the outlet malls. Now im in philly though

my condolences. :)

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 05:50 PM
my condolences. :)

I don't feel bad, all the ghetto people from Philly move up here to Williamsport due to the cities Drug Rehabs and section 8 housing.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Roger Good for nothing goodell has made the Steelers defense soft,and when Bell was hit with 2 helmets from Webb and That DT NOTHING was said or done about it,i'm so starting to really hate the NFL....

TarlsQtr
12-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Video of Golic on the NFL statement regarding Huber:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10158504/kevin-huber-cincinnati-bengals-not-upset-hit-terence-garver-pittsburgh-steelers

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Video of Golic on the NFL statement regarding Huber:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10158504/kevin-huber-cincinnati-bengals-not-upset-hit-terence-garver-pittsburgh-steelers

Watched this a few minutes ago on Mike&Mike. Maybe Golic should take over for Goodell.

Forged in Steel
12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Watching these overpaid idiots celebrate after a play makes me want to stop watching... LOL

Goodell is selling an entertainment.... The integrity of the game has been blown out the window!

The NFL is like the WWE under Goodell (National Football Entertainment (NFE)).

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 11:04 PM
The NFL is like the WWE under Goodell (National Football Entertainment (NFE)).

And let's be honest, the things that brought us into the game as kids are being removed and the entertainment value of this current product are suspect at best. With it being so one sided, (offense) so many injuries and a massive decline in quality of play because of the injuries and Thursday games the excitement that was once there as really faded. I'm willing to bet most people on this board don't get anywhere near as excited for Sunday football like you did just 5 years ago. Unless you play fantasy football. Which I don't....might have to start to keep my interest though.

Forged in Steel
12-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm willing to bet most people on this board don't get anywhere near as excited for Sunday football like you did just 5 years ago.

I agree, the NFL is not as exciting as it was 5 years ago or even before that.

The NFL now is basically like a live reality TV show produced by MTV marketed to bandwagon type fans.

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I agree, the NFL is not as exciting as it was 5 years ago or even before that.

The NFL now is basically like a live reality TV show produced by MTV marketed to bandwagon type fans.

They should make Mike Golic the Commish or a former player. Lol, one that's not loopy or brain dead. Looking at the Seahawks I still believe they can fix what is wrong. Allow a little more contact with DBs and WR without flags. It'll cut back on these 4000 yard passers like stafford that are so over-rated.

lancer89074
12-19-2013, 05:48 AM
I thought that blindside hit (broken jaw) on the punter was a definite cheap shot. I don't enjoy seeing an opposing player injured when a normal block would have sufficed in preventing the Cincy player from making the tackle. Once Brown has past you, he is gone.

I remember an old quote from an explayer: "Football is the enema of the American society".

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I thought that blindside hit (broken jaw) on the punter was a definite cheap shot. I don't enjoy seeing an opposing player injured when a normal block would have sufficed in preventing the Cincy player from making the tackle. Once Brown has past you, he is gone.

I remember an old quote from an explayer: "Football is the enema of the American society".

Yeah whatever, it's comments like that, that contribute to the pussification of a once great sport. If you don't want to get blasted don't put on a helmet. And if you're a kicker/punter don't go after the guy with the ball. Run your a$$ off the field once you kick the ball. So sick of all this "he was defenseless" crap when talking about football players. Kickers leg in the air. Yes! Anyone else, any other time, don't want to hear it. It's football, and even the douche waffle that got crushed said it wasn't cheap. Little high with the helmet but come on....$hit happens.

steelchamp204
12-19-2013, 08:41 AM

It was even with the line of scrimmage so it wasn't a crack back block, the Punter was trying to make a tackle. Garvin did everything correct except for hitting him in the chin.

SnakeEyes43
12-19-2013, 09:58 AM
According to ESPN, Garvin fined $25,000.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10160362/terence-garvin-pittsburgh-steelers-fined-25k

The NFL fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Terence Garvin $25,000 Wednesday for the block that left Cincinnati Bengals punter Kevin Huber with a broken jaw and a cracked vertebrae, according to a source.

TarlsQtr
12-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Too funny. LOL

http://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/c7de1ff5f9ca29f618093b7575fecaa99c47b0e0501c80bded af70eb827286a5_large

SnakeEyes43
12-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I heard about that letter on the radio this morning. It's cute and vicious at the same time. Loses his house and has to live in his car, haha.

TarlsQtr
12-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I heard about that letter on the radio this morning. It's cute and vicious at the same time. Loses his house and has to live in his car, haha.

Interesting. I figured it was fake. I have been watching football since well before I was 7 and have never had a punter as my favorite player LOL. (As a kid, I do remember thinking Ray Guy and Reggie Roby were freaking awesome though.)

K Train
12-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Interesting. I figured it was fake. I have been watching football since well before I was 7 and have never had a punter as my favorite player LOL. (As a kid, I do remember thinking Ray Guy and Reggie Roby were freaking awesome though.)

Former bearcat, i get it.

Also, Dan Sepulveda was a favorite of mine

Real Deal Steel
12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Reggie Roby and Ray Guy...they were weapons!

Blitzburghpete
12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I watched the interview with Hume on NFL.com, ( sounds like a nice chap actually ) and since when was a punter a "defenceless player" ?? Even Hume didn't know this when they asked him.

The only thing wrong with the hit was Garvin dipped his head and used his crown.. Well to me it looks more like a forehead than crown.

I expect as per Tomlin on the sideline, this is yet another excuse for the NFL to make an example of something the Steelers did slightly wrong !

lancer89074
12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah whatever, it's comments like that, that contribute to the pussification of a once great sport. If you don't want to get blasted don't put on a helmet. And if you're a kicker/punter don't go after the guy with the ball. Run your a$$ off the field once you kick the ball. So sick of all this "he was defenseless" crap when talking about football players. Kickers leg in the air. Yes! Anyone else, any other time, don't want to hear it. It's football, and even the douche waffle that got crushed said it wasn't cheap. Little high with the helmet but come on....$hit happens.

Thank you for validating this quote: "Football is the enema of American society".

lancer89074
12-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I watched the interview with Hume on NFL.com, ( sounds like a nice chap actually ) and since when was a punter a "defenceless player" ?? Even Hume didn't know this when they asked him.

The only thing wrong with the hit was Garvin dipped his head and used his crown.. Well to me it looks more like a forehead than crown.

I expect as per Tomlin on the sideline, this is yet another excuse for the NFL to make an example of something the Steelers did slightly wrong !

Who is Hume?

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Who is Hume?

Think he's a sports writer for Fox

jtretz
12-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I thin I'm going to start watching figure skating! it's going to be more physical than the NFL soon.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2013, 06:42 PM
I thin I'm going to start watching figure skating! it's going to be more physical than the NFL soon.

Put syncronized swimming in there too. :lol: