PDA

View Full Version : Packers planning for Flynn to start, but Rodgers not ruled out

Big T
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
The good news for the Packers is that quarterback Aaron Rodgers has not been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Steelers. The bad news is that Rodgers hasn’t been cleared to return from his broken collarbone, either.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said today that he is currently planning for backup Matt Flynn to start his fourth consecutive game on Sunday. McCarthy added, however, that Rodgers will be evaluated by the team’s medical staff this week.

“Aaron’s situation will be evaluated Wednesday morning and then we’ll have a plan for him come Wednesday,” McCarthy said.

The Packers seem to be leaning toward playing it safe with Rodgers, so it wouldn’t be at all surprising if the result of the Wednesday evaluation is the same as the result of all of his previous evaluations, and the medical staff says he’s simply not ready to play. The good news for the Packers is that they’ve now won two in a row with Flynn.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/16/packers-planning-for-flynn-to-start-but-rodgers-not-ruled-out/

Dean Denton
12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I really hope Rogers plays. I don't know how many more times we'll get to see Ben vs. Aaron and its by far my favorite QB match up. I spent the first five years of my life growing up just outside Green Bay, so there's a little hometown vs. heart here, but it's by far my most anticipated game of the year. I know even at 50 percent Rogers will eat our secondary alive but Ben can carve up those chumps too. Remember their first match up a few years ago? Wow!!! What an epic game. Then we had SB 45. Ouch, buts its 1-1 and in need of a tie breaker. Go Steelers!!!!!

Big T
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Since our playoff hopes are still barely alive, I'd like Flynn to start lol

coldrolled
12-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Rodgers would be rusty, he wont start. He may finish if they are losing early.

Dean Denton
12-16-2013, 08:12 PM

I know we have a small glimmer of hope but it's too small for me to hold the faith. So if these are our last two games until next fall I want star power. I want a shoot out. Hell, we could be eliminated before kick off. What's with the late start time. Now I can't watch because the Seachickens are on. Wtf???

Big T
12-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I know we have a small glimmer of hope but it's too small for me to hold the faith. So if these are our last two games until next fall I want star power. I want a shoot out. Hell, we could be eliminated before kick off. What's with the late start time. Now I can't watch because the Seachickens are on. Wtf???

True I forgot it was a later game... We shall see.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Flynn is coming off a good game and its Green Bay so I wouldn't be surprised if he lit our defense up.....You guys crack me up with your optimism......I swear Neil has infected this board.........

Big T
12-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Flynn is coming off a good game and its Green Bay so I wouldn't be surprised if he lit our defense up.....You guys crack me up with your optimism......I swear Neil has infected this board.........

It's not necessarily optimism. I don't think anyone believes we will make it... But as long as they technically still have a chance I'll be praying (not literally lol).

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 02:07 AM

Flynn had the game of his life this season, he will stink up the joint next Sunday. I think Ben and the offense score enough points to win.

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 02:15 AM
It's not necessarily optimism. I don't think anyone believes we will make it... But as long as they technically still have a chance I'll be praying (not literally lol).

That's how I feel. Until we are mathematically eliminated I always have some hope. It's football and that's why they play. Hell, Seattle won the division a couple years ago with a 7-9 record. Giants won a SB with 9-7. We are in until we aren't. And if we get in that's another game and I'm all for that. Nothing is more brutal then the off season. I don't really have another team sport besides tag team wrestling so I need this. Thank god for the bengals and the ravens..lol just kidding Big T...lol

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2013, 02:19 AM

I just can't wait for this season to be done with......All I care about right now sports wise is the NFL Draft and Pirates reporting to Spring Training......Of course the Pens but Hockey is at its best in play-off time....NHL play-offs is so much better then the NFL play-offs......

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Steelers, boxing, MMA and pro wrestling, that's my thing. However, I do love the pens and haven't missed any playoffs games for them since 91. Regular season I don't watch though. Hoops, not since Jordan and Magic. Not feeling this new era. Baseball, no. Really it's Steelers or bust for me...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2013, 02:31 AM
Steelers, boxing, MMA and pro wrestling, that's my thing. However, I do love the pens and haven't missed any playoffs games for them since 91. Regular season I don't watch though. Hoops, not since Jordan and Magic. Not feeling this new era. Baseball, no. Really it's Steelers or bust for me...

NBA is straight garbage these days.....Yes I grew up a Bulls and Jordan fan....Jordan my alltime favorite athlete....I remember when the Pistons use to bounce the Bulls from the play-offs before the Bulls glory years of winning 6 titles in 8 years thanks to Michael wanting to play baseball for a couple years or it would have been 8 straight titles.....But ever since Jordan retired from the Bulls ( I don't count his Wizards years and pretend they didn't happen) the NBA isn't the same.....

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 02:32 AM

I am all Steelers. Pens I watch mostly every game and I watch the Orioles and keep up with them all the time. Used to root for the Bulls in basketball, but the league has changed to much and I don't watch basketball anymore.

So mostly

1. Steelers
2. Orioles
3. Pens

But I am a Steelrs nut, that is my main team no matter what happens.

Big T
12-17-2013, 02:37 AM
Steelers are always #1 but I still have my Heat to watch this season. Too bad my Gators completely **** the bed this year. I always watch UFC too. Can't wait for the 28th, man. Such a great card.

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 02:41 AM
I'm not trying to rush this season, but I am excited to see what changes unfold in this offseason. We have decisions to make on

1. Troy
2. Clark
3. DL
4. Worilds
5. The draft
6. Velasco/Pouncey
7. Sanders
8. Levi Brown
9. Keisel

It's going to be a busy offseason

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2013, 02:42 AM
I can't get into MMA....I tried but just can't...Use to love boxing until the sport just went to **** especially the Heavyweight division.....With the way the NFL is going I'm close to be done with football as well.......The product is so bad anymore....Watching NFL games suck with all the stupid rules on what is a legal hit or not and how is everything is reviewed now.......I prefer the refs making judgment calls since that is what they're paid to do instead of review after review....The NFL will be unwatchable in 5-10 years......

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 02:48 AM
I can't get into MMA....I tried but just can't...Use to love boxing until the sport just went to **** especially the Heavyweight division.....With the way the NFL is going I'm close to be done with football as well.......The product is so bad anymore....Watching NFL games suck with all the stupid rules on what is a legal hit or not and how is everything is reviewed now.......I prefer the refs making judgment calls since that is what they're paid to do instead of review after review....The NFL will be unwatchable in 5-10 years......

I'm afraid you are right, I get confused on half these calls anymore. Everything has to be so ****ing precise. Commercials every god damn 10 minutes.

1. Kickoff
2. Commercial
3. Run a play with 10 seconds left in the quarter
4. Commercial
5. 4th down and punt
6. Commercial
7. Timeout
8. Commercial

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Steelers are always #1 but I still have my Heat to watch this season. Too bad my Gators completely **** the bed this year. I always watch UFC too. Can't wait for the 28th, man. Such a great card.
Yeah, my steeler room has a framed Ali poster in the middle of my Ben and Troy posters. I still love my boxing. I'm banking on Deontay Wilder to bring glory back to the heavy weights for the USA. Looking forward to the 28th too. Thank god for Misha Tate or my wife wouldn't let me get this PPV. She thinks Misha has a shot beating Rousey and I'm not saying anything because I want to watch Silva get his strap bac...lol

Big T
12-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Yeah, my steeler room has a framed Ali poster in the middle of my Ben and Troy posters. I still love my boxing. I'm banking on Deontay Wilder to bring glory back to the heavy weights for the USA. Looking forward to the 28th too. Thank god for Misha Tate or my wife wouldn't let me get this PPV. She thinks Misha has a shot beating Rousey and I'm not saying anything because I want to watch Silva get his strap bac...lol

Lol. I'd bet almost anything Silva gets it back. I'm hoping Rousey gets Tate with another 1st round arm bar.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2013, 02:58 AM
I'm afraid you are right, I get confused on half these calls anymore. Everything has to be so ****ing precise. Commercials every god damn 10 minutes.

1. Kickoff
2. Commercial
4. Commercial
5. 4th down and punt
6. Commercial
7. Timeout
8. Commercial

Fuhrer Goodell is ruining the sport.....He doesn't care about the true diehard NFL fans but want to appeal to the casual fan or fantasy football fans.......I like fantasy football as much as the next guy but I hate all the rules favoring the offense and really miss the days were an NFL defense could actually play defense........

I'm thinking about not even renewing my NFL Sunday tix for next and I had it every year since 2000.....My overall passion for the NFL is dying just like college football for me....I use to watch a ton of college football, didn't matter if it was a small conference or a major conference....I probably have watched 4 entire college games all season this year....lol Last one being the Florida State and Duke game.....Cause I wanted to watch Kelvin Benjamin.......

For some reason I'm really getting into baseball again and its just not the success of the Pirates....They collapsed after good starts in 2011 and 2012 and were complete **** for 20 seasons but I still loved their sorry asses....Now they're close to being one of the best teams in MLB with all their young talent.....Plus I don't know watching the Pirates play the game is so refreshing.....Watching the Steelers anymore for me just sickens me.....AB and his stupid TD dances.......You're team is 6 and ****ing 8 so stop with the stupid dances...If you're going to dance at least have a cool ****ing dance instead of looking like a compete idiot out there.....Plus how both Sanders and AB celebrate every first down like they just won the Super Bowl......I hate that ****...Now if the team was winning then FINE but the Steelers are not so shut up and stop acting a fool and just do your job.....

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 03:01 AM

Mike Golic agrees with you. So do I. I get what Goodell is trying to do, kind of. But as steeler fans this is not football anymore. Again this week we topped last weeks 100+ TDs. What is that? They need to give the defense something, please. At the very least allow more contact with DBs and WR. Something to challenge this ridiculous trend of 4000 yard passers. It's not as fun to watch because there are really removing the defense and its getting to be like high end, big money arena football.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Mike Golic agrees with you. So do I. I get what Goodell is trying to do, kind of. But as steeler fans this is not football anymore. Again this week we topped last weeks 100+ TDs. What is that? They need to give the defense something, please. At the very least allow more contact with DBs and WR. Something to challenge this ridiculous trend of 4000 yard passers. It's not as fun to watch because there are really removing the defense and its getting to be like high end, big money arena football.

When Ben retires I'm probably done with the NFL...........I prefer hard nosed defense and hard nosed QB's....Why I always like QB's that play Ben's style over the pussy style like Brady, Manning and Brees.......Ben is a throwback and I just love watching him play......

Just sucks the NFL is so offensive driven and now with all the concussion **** its even going to be more over the top to protect players........

I watched a replay of Super Bowl XXX a few weeks ago on NFL Network and I swear the NFL was so different then......I few hits in that game I was like WOW that would be a flag today in the pussified NFL.........It was actually great to watch that game again even though Neil choked it away..........

steelchamp204
12-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Everything in the NFL anymore is geared towards the offenssive side of the ball. I mean for ****s sakes, how far back do they let the tackles play back anymore. No wonder why OLBs can't get to the ****ing QBs

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 03:27 AM
When Ben retires I'm probably done with the NFL...........I prefer hard nosed defense and hard nosed QB's....Why I always like QB's that play Ben's style over the pussy style like Brady, Manning and Brees.......Ben is a throwback and I just love watching him play......

Just sucks the NFL is so offensive driven and now with all the concussion **** its even going to be more over the top to protect players........

I watched a replay of Super Bowl XXX a few weeks ago on NFL Network and I swear the NFL was so different then......I few hits in that game I was like WOW that would be a flag today in the pussified NFL.........It was actually great to watch that game again even though Neil choked it away..........
Yeah I was talking about being done with football when Ben retires but I doubt I will. Luck is another tough as nails QB and I love him. I think they'll fix football and find a happy medium. I think they back off the fines and change the strike zone to shoulder to knee and give a little on the head contact. It hurts the league to have guys like Gronk out. Too many WR/TE getting knees blown. They better fix it, football is all I have. It's life. Look at me, I'm chatting on a forum. I only do this for steelers...

LatrobePA
12-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Smoke screen. Regardless how many back ups have beat this team over the past few years?

coldrolled
12-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Everything in the NFL anymore is geared towards the offenssive side of the ball. I mean for ****s sakes, how far back do they let the tackles play back anymore. No wonder why OLBs can't get to the ****ing QBs

Time to change the defensive schemes... There has to be a formation to kill the QB.. no one figured it out yet.

Red Flags on PI calls is really needed.. those PI calls and PI non calls are out of control. see lions-ravens, see pats-browns
games.. Very well could have been a Lions win and Pats Loss. Playoffs change fast.

LevonKirkland99
12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Why are we talking about this game like it's going to change the outcome of the Steelers. We suck this year because of Tomlin, LeBeau, the secondary, and a lousy offensive line.

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Why are we talking about this game like it's going to change the outcome of the Steelers. We suck this year because of Tomlin, LeBeau, the secondary, and a lousy offensive line.

And this team will continue to suck if they don't give something back to the defense. This franchise is predicated on defense and if you think the Rooneys are going to change their philosophy to fit this new NFL you're smoking the good stuff. These guys are primitive and fear change, hense the lack of quality FA they fail to bring in. You think it's bad now, wait until we no longer have a QB like Ben that can put points on the board. Take a look at most of the league, they stink, defense is awful, and most teams starting QBs are not even back up worthy. Oh yeah, this franchise is headed for the crapper. Better love on Ben while we have him because we will be the Browns of Western PA without him....

TarlsQtr
12-17-2013, 11:34 PM
And this team will continue to suck if they don't give something back to the defense. This franchise is predicated on defense and if you think the Rooneys are going to change their philosophy to fit this new NFL you're smoking the good stuff. These guys are primitive and fear change, hense the lack of quality FA they fail to bring in. You think it's bad now, wait until we no longer have a QB like Ben that can put points on the board. Take a look at most of the league, they stink, defense is awful, and most teams starting QBs are not even back up worthy. Oh yeah, this franchise is headed for the crapper. Better love on Ben while we have him because we will be the Browns of Western PA without him....

1) Not bringing FAs has been what kept the team so good for so long. They eat too much cap.

2) The QB play is better now than at any time in NFL history. (Yes, a lot of it has to do with scheme, rules, etc.) Even the numbers of an also ran like, say, Tannehill, compare nicely with the greats of the 60s-80s. I cannot think of an era that had a stacked list like Brees, Brady, Manning , Rodgers, Ben, etc. The second tier (Kap, Luck, Cam, RGIII, etc.) is profoundly better than the second tier from 20-30 years ago.

Dean Denton
12-17-2013, 11:55 PM
1) Not bringing FAs has been what kept the team so good for so long. They eat too much cap.

2) The QB play is better now than at any time in NFL history. (Yes, a lot of it has to do with scheme, rules, etc.) Even the numbers of an also ran like, say, Tannehill, compare nicely with the greats of the 60s-80s. I cannot think of an era that had a stacked list like Brees, Brady, Manning , Rodgers, Ben, etc. The second tier (Kap, Luck, Cam, RGIII, etc.) is profoundly better than the second tier from 20-30 years ago.

Yeah I was kind of kidding for the most part. I have no one to talk to. I think we have a pretty good crop of QBs right now but I also think only 5-6 of them would be successful, let's say, up against the 1983 class. Or that era. I think most of these guys benefit from their WR being able to run routes without being contested. I'm willing to bet Marino would finish close to 6000 yards with Duper and Clayton. Jim Kelly would be close to that too with his 90-94 WRs. And Breez back then would be just under 3000. IMO. And guys like Kapercrack and RG3rdstring would be warming a bench or playing WR. Again, I could be way off base to considering that colleges are and have been going with more pro style offense. But, I'm going to just agree with Rod Woodson, Joe Namath, Phil Simms and Chris Collinsworth when they all kind of said the same thing I just did in quoting Dan Marino.

LevonKirkland99
12-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Look what we have now...holes everywhere. The defense needs LOTS of work and a coaching change. It the same bullshiet with the Rooney's, as they wan to keep the status quo, keep LeBeau, resign older players.

We need to take a page from the Ravens...they lost players , and they're still competitive. We lost to the Browns in last year's game , and its been down hill from there.

I am starting to believe that Tomlin was NOT a good choice.

coldrolled
12-18-2013, 10:04 AM

1. Kickoff
2. Commercial
4. Commercial
5. 4th down and punt
6. Commercial
7. Timeout
8. Commercial

the nfl's life blood.. commercials.

DBR96A
12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Commercials only run during the following scenarios:

1. Immediately after a change of possession, whether it be a punt, kickoff or turnover.

2. Immediately after a scoring play, whether it be a TD, FG or safety.

3. During a break in the action, whether it be a timeout, injury, coach's challenge, or the two-minute warning.

If you pay close enough attention, you'll notice sometimes that the network stops showing commercials late in a half. Instead, you'll either hear banter between the announcers, or see an infographic with some interesting facts on it. This leads me to believe that each game has a fixed allotment of commercials for each half, and when they get close to running out of commercials, they conserve them for the two-minute warning.

They also don't show three commercial blocks in a row. In other words, if you have a scenario in which three of the above situations happen in a row, there's at least one situation during which they don't show commercials. For example, if the game reaches the end of a quarter, and the first play of the next quarter is a scoring play followed by a kickoff, what the network will likely do is show commercials at the end of the quarter and after the scoring play, but not after the ensuing kickoff. Instead, they'll just have the announcers talk. This not only helps the network conserve commercials, but it also prevents people from tuning out.

You can also tell when a network is about to return from a commercial break, because the last commercial in a block is always either a local or network commercial. In other words, if you see a commercial for a local business, a teaser for the late-night news, or highlights from an upcoming episode of a different TV program on the network, then you can bet the game will be back on immediately thereafter.

One special scenario is when the start of a "late" game is preempted for an "early" overtime game. After the overtime game ends, the network shows all the missed commercials from the start of the late game before the game itself comes on.

Dean Denton
12-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeah I saw that the amount of time actually spent on live action is just over ten minutes during the entire 3 hour game. It's funny because a lot of things happen in those ten minutes playing football.

steelchamp204
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
All I know, is that it's annoying having an 8:30 game anymore. Game is never over until after midnight.

Dean Denton
12-19-2013, 01:21 PM
All I know, is that it's annoying having an 8:30 game anymore. Game is never over until after midnight.

That's why living on the west coast rules when it comes to night games. When I lived in Lubbock, Texas, I never got use to the time zone and missed the end of so many games. There was a Monday nighter with the jets-dolphins in 2000 that had one of the best finishes ever and I missed it. Woke up to the phone ringing, my friend in Seattle saying, omg, did you see that? Lol

DBR96A
12-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Central time seems to have it best: early games at noon, late games at 3PM, and night games end before 11PM.

Dean Denton
12-20-2013, 03:58 AM
Central time seems to have it best: early games at noon, late games at 3PM, and night games end before 11PM.

I love the 10am game. Breakfast/brunch is huge with football out here. Kind of funny how we have different traditions for football and food with our time zones. I wouldn't know what to do without 9:30AM college ball and 10AM NFL. Don't really do coffee after 12PM and I couldn't function with early morning coffee/football combo..lol

LatrobePA
12-20-2013, 03:22 PM
AR ruled out... Flynn it is.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2013, 03:27 PM
But what is there to be so excited about? Even if a miracle happened and somehow we made the playoffs, we'd be one and done anyway. We have a **** poor O-line. We are not going to realistically win anything this year.