PDA

View Full Version : Is Bell struggling to to Oline or his style of running?

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Only 2 players in the NFL with more than 150 carries this season are averaging lower yards per rush attempt than Leveon Bell.

1. Ray Rice-3.0 ypc
2. Rashard Mendenhall-3.1 ypc

This is not a flame war thread, let's be realistic.

Bell is a rookie this season that has ran behind a make shift Offensive line the entire season, also he has missed the first 3 games of the season due to a foot related injury. With all due respect, I think we can all appreciate what Bell has done with his receiving skills out of the backfield for the Steelers this season creating a threat next to Ben.

Now lets compare Bell with the other rookies we have discussed having decent futures in the NFL and who we liked going into the draft as becoming a Steeler this past offseason.

1. Lacy CAR 248 YDS 1,028 AVG 4.1 TDS 8

2. Bernard CAR 144 YDS 653 AVG 4.5 TDS 5

3. Ball CAR 106 YDS 455 AVG 4.3 TDS 4

4. Stacy CAR 202 YDS 854 AVG 4.2 TDS 6

5. Bell CAR 198 YDS 646 AVG 3.3 TDS 6

My honest opinion, I love what Bell does by being patient and waiting for lanes to open up. Where I think he hurts himself sometimes is, he can be TOO patient at times, therefor he needs to bounce it to the outside and maybe try to get the edge. I haven't seen him to much in college so I'm not sure of what his true speed is or how good his acceleration can be.

It could be the playcalling at times also. I saw a stretch play last night that didn't work so well, but the Steelers need to do more of that with Bell, it just seems they try to run him through the tackles to much, too often.

What do you guys think?

LatrobePA
12-16-2013, 11:15 AM
He's a rookie trying to play at a high level in the NFL. I think he's done a dang good job so far.

TarlsQtr
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Only 2 players in the NFL with more than 150 carries this season are averaging lower yards per rush attempt than Leveon Bell.

1. Ray Rice-3.0 ypc
2. Rashard Mendenhall-3.1 ypc

This is not a flame war thread, let's be realistic.

Bell is a rookie this season that has ran behind a mig shift Offensive line the entire season, also he has missed the first 3 games of the season due to a foot related injury. With all due respect, I think we can all appreciate what Bell has done with his receiving skills out of the backfield for the Steelers this season creating a threat next to Ben.

Now lets compare Bell with the other rookies we have discussed having decent futures in the NFL and who we liked going into the draft as becoming a Steeler this past offseason.

1. Lacy CAR 248 YDS 1,028 AVG 4.1 TDS 8

2. Bernard CAR 144 YDS 653 AVG 4.5 TDS 5

3. Ball CAR 106 YDS 455 AVG 4.3 TDS 4

4. Stacy CAR 202 YDS 854 AVG 4.2 TDS 6

5. Bell CAR 198 YDS 646 AVG 3.3 TDS 6

My honest opinion, I love what Bell does by being patient and waiting for lanes to open up. Where I think he hurts himself sometimes is, he can be TOO patient at times, therefor he needs to bounce it to the outside and maybe try to get the edge. I haven't seen him to much in college so I'm not sure of what his true speed is or how good his acceleration can be.

It could be the playcalling at times also. I saw a stretch play last night that didn't work so well, but the Steelers need to do more of that with Bell, it just seems they try to run him through the tackles to much, too often.

What do you guys think?

I would say it is more "and" than "or."

I think Bell has run pretty well. He can be too patient at times but much of that is the result of the O-line not opening up obvious holes. This line is still a work in progress. The improvement in pass protection has been nothing short of amazing but still needs to come together in run blocking. If they ever get a season of relative health to gel as a unit (I would throw Miller and Spaeth in there too), they have a chance to be very good. I was all OL in the first round a few weeks ago but would not be upset at all if they went in a different direction depending how the board plays out. In the end, Bell has done everything you could expect (and more) from a rookie RB playing behind a makeshift OL.

coldrolled
12-16-2013, 11:55 AM
He's a rookie trying to play at a high level in the NFL. I think he's done a dang good job so far.

With our OL hell yeah.

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 11:59 AM
With our OL hell yeah.

I question. What really has been wrong with the Oline?? Gilbert/DD/Velasco are very good players when they all played together. The left side is still a question mark but Foster is not a scrub either. I wouldn't say this oline is horrific like it was last season by any means It's a combination of both.

coldrolled
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I question. What really has been wrong with the Oline?? Gilbert/DD/Velasco are very good players when they all played together. The left side is still a question mark but Foster is not a scrub either. I wouldn't say this oline is horrific like it was last season by any means It's a combination of both.

Rhythm, Playing together.. Does Play A work better on the right side or left side of DD.. Using Bell or Dwyer?? Small execution things that never get the same look and feel by the players. everything on the OL changing week in and week out.
Execution has to be below 75%

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Rhythm, Playing together.. Does Play A work better on the right side or left side of DD.. Using Bell or Dwyer?? Small execution things that never get the same look and feel by the players. everything on the OL changing week in and week out.
Execution has to be below 75%

Like I have stated earlier, I believe some of the problem is on the Oline, but please don't have a blind eye when it comes to Bell making something out of nothing. There have been opportunities for him to bounce it to the outside and he has not where he could have gained something. I think Bell can be his own worst enemy at times when he is too patient is all.

K Train
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
i think with the injuries and missing a lot of TC and the 4 four games bell has played admirably and is an awesome receiver. He can be too patient but he can also hit it with authority.

I would imagine he would be a much better runner next season, be able to run with a little more confidence, but right now he provides a boost to the offense

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 04:17 PM
i think with the injuries and missing a lot of TC and the 4 four games bell has played admirably and is an awesome receiver. He can be too patient but he can also hit it with authority.

I would imagine he would be a much better runner next season, be able to run with a little more confidence, but right now he provides a boost to the offense

I would just like to see Haley call some more stretch/toss plays for him. Especially when we are on a far hash, sweep/toss it to the far side of the field and let him make a play with the extra width of the field. I feel they use him to much in between the tackle/guard.

Big T
12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
That one run he had later in the game was a thing of beauty. Michael Johnson right in his face as he got the ball, beautiful cut, stiff arms Johnson to the ground, and finishes the run by trucking the LB.

I think a lot of it is the time he missed. He's been playing extremely well for the most part. He can e a little too patient at times but he also makes a lot out of nothing. A full offseason should do wonders for him. I hated when they picked him, but he has really been a pleasant surprise.

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 04:33 PM
That one run he had later in the game was a thing of beauty. Michael Johnson right in his face as he got the ball, beautiful cut, stiff arms Johnson to the ground, and finishes the run by trucking the LB.

I think a lot of it is the time he missed. He's been playing extremely well for the most part. He can e a little too patient at times but he also makes a lot out of nothing. A full offseason should do wonders for him. I hated when they picked him, but he has really been a pleasant surprise.

I pull for the kid so hard every game to get 100 yards. I know he doesn't get the carries, maybe I just have to high of ceiling for him as a rookie. I just want a 100 yard rusher this season, and I want it to be him. I think once he does that 1 time, a lot of pressure will be off his back. He said he keeps track of all the other rookie rbs also, which could put a little pressure on him.

Big T
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
I pull for the kid so hard every game to get 100 yards. I know he doesn't get the carries, maybe I just have to high of ceiling for him as a rookie. I just want a 100 yard rusher this season, and I want it to be him. I think once he does that 1 time, a lot of pressure will be off his back. He said he keeps track of all the other rookie rbs also, which could put a little pressure on him.

I hear you. Miami would've been the game though. He was averaging 4.5 YPC but only got 13 carries.

LevonKirkland99
12-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Bell has done an unbelievable job this year considering our OL. You can pick on someone else now.

Dean Denton
12-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Bell has done an unbelievable job this year considering our OL. You can pick on someone else now.
I agree, I think him and Ben are going to do great things together. Loving his stiff arm.

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 10:54 PM

I understand where you are coming from, for some reason you were taking everything negative said about Bell last night a little to personal. Relax chief.

It was really funny when you said he was better than Ed Lacy. Idiotic to be honest. Take off the shades, it's only Bells rookie season, but Lacy is having a better season. That's being realistic.

huntem
12-16-2013, 10:58 PM
This team really needs a tune up in the run blocking department other than Decastro

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 11:03 PM
This team really needs a tune up in the run blocking department other than Decastro

Yes, maybe we are being hard on them. They have picked it up keeping Ben clean this whole season, and it helps with the playcalling also by Ben and Haley. The run blocking will come in time. But when they run with Bell, it's always between the tackles. They need to do some stretch and some sweeps with him also to make the defense think a little bit more when he is lined up behind Ben.

LevonKirkland99
12-16-2013, 11:23 PM
I understand where you are coming from, for some reason you were taking everything negative said about Bell last night a little to personal. Relax chief.

It was really funny when you said he was better than Ed Lacy. Idiotic to be honest. Take off the shades, it's only Bells rookie season, but Lacy is having a better season. That's being realistic.

You are entitled to your opinion. Bell has played well for the Steelers, and I can care less about Lacy and Green Bay.

steelchamp204
12-16-2013, 11:27 PM
You are entitled to your opinion. Bell has played well for the Steelers, and I can care less about Lacy and Green Bay.

You're the one that said I was picking on him with a general topic of discussion backed by statistics and a reasonable argument as to Bells running style and the offensive line/Playcalling. You say I am picking on him? No, it's called having a discussion about it.

You must have missed my post when I said I pull for him every game of the season also because I have high hopes for him :)

HUNT4SEVEN
12-18-2013, 12:33 PM

He has made sugar out of sh&!, some of these Steelers fans need to study football more, smh.....

LatrobePA
12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
He has made sugar out of sh&!, some of these Steelers fans need to study football more, smh.....

Thank you... I love Bell!

Big T
12-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Interesting. Bell is actually top 5 in the league in terms of outside rush percentage. He's carried the ball 111 times outside the tackles compared to 87 attempts between the tackles.

His average yards after contact on runs outside the tackles isn't very good, but over 68 percent of his yards on outside runs come after contact, which is over 10 percent higher than the NFL average. That may suggest that his lack of a good average on outside runs isn't necessarily all on him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/19/between-the-tackles-part-2/

steelchamp204
12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Interesting. Bell is actually top 5 in the league in terms of outside rush percentage. He's carried the ball 111 times outside the tackles compared to 87 attempts between the tackles.

His average yards after contact on runs outside the tackles isn't very good, but over 68 percent of his yards on outside runs come after contact, which is over 10 percent higher than the NFL average. That may suggest that his lack of a good average on outside runs isn't necessarily all on him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/19/between-the-tackles-part-2/

Thanks for the article. I'll eat my crow, it just seems he runs a ton inside compared to outside the tackles.

huntem
12-20-2013, 12:01 AM
I have to say, I really like how Bell has been able to make something out of nothing with our run blocking

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Bell is having a real nice rookie year but I still rather have Lacy......Just my opinion and its not a knock on Bell at all......

Blitzburghpete
12-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Have to say i think Bell is fantastic, just the numbers aren't backing it up.
Time and time again i've seen Bell make superb moves, decsisions, and skill just to get the ball back to the line of scrummage !!! He's made some of the best runs for just 1 or 2 yards! Imagine how good it would be if he could do that a couple of yards down the field !?! His stats would go through the roof. He has ability as his receiving stats are healthy so it shows he knows how to get extra yards. Given a better line to support the run play, Bell can turn these huge gains.

I'm so impressed with his patience. Dwyer and Jones just seem to stick it in there and hope, Bell, looks, waits for an opprtunity, but has the skill set to make elsuive moves or indeed just truck over people if not.

IMO the most complete back we've ever had. Can't think of a back we've had that can do both run/catch as well as Bell. Walter Abercrombie in his prime maybe ? Bell reminds me a alot of the niners great back Roger Craig, and even a hint... ( i'll stand by for the finger pointing and laughing ) of the great Walter Payton .. aka sweetness !

NorCalSteel
12-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Bell is awesome with only upside in his future. Smooth fast and can catch. I wanted us to draft Lacy but I am sure we did the right thing now.

Blitzburghpete
12-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Bell is awesome with only upside in his future. Smooth fast and can catch. I wanted us to draft Lacy but I am sure we did the right thing now.

Also kudos to Lacy as well. I think he could have fit into a lot of teams schemes and done well. He's the prototypical Steeler back ( IE big powerful runner ) and could have fit the " Pittsburgh " mould very well, but i feel Bell is a better fit for the Steeler current offensive schemes.

It's hard for me to admit that ( i mean look at my sig and you'll see what my favorite types of RB 's are ) but like you say NCS, i can only see a huge upside to Bell, and yes he's very smooth,fast... and i think you may see why i think he has a hint of Walter Payton in him by your astute comment :)

LevonKirkland99
12-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Bell is having a real nice rookie year but I still rather have Lacy......Just my opinion and its not a knock on Bell at all......

Why Lacy over Bell? You wanted them to keep Wallace too. .. This thread is a bit amusing since it is talking about a back who gave it all this season for this crappy team.

steelchamp204
12-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Why Lacy over Bell? You wanted them to keep Wallace too. .. This thread is a bit amusing since it is talking about a back who gave it all this season for this crappy team.

Why not? Lacy is having a hell of a year for a rookie RB, behind a line that is as bad as the Steelers Oline. What's the deal if we like them equally as RBs? I prefered Lacy before Bell in the draft also, the only thing people bashed Lacy for before the draft was.:

1. He ran behind a pro line at Bama
2. He was injured during the draft, people thought he would be injury prone.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Ok I guess I'm not entitled to have a different opinion then you......Where did I ever knock Bell?......I just prefer Eddie Lacy.....Jesus Christ some of you people on this site get so butt hurt if other fans don't like some of the same players as much as you....lol

Lacy looks to be more explosive then Bell and really that is the only knock on Bell is a lack of explosiveness and I think that is what prevents him from being a true elite RB.......I think he is going to be a very solid all around RB and is going to have a very good career........

As for Wallace, he has nothing to do with Bell or Lacy......Just more evidence on how dare I have an opinion of keeping a player that most of the fanbase doesn't like....I was on record on saying Wallace wasn't worth the 13 million per season he received from the Dolphins but just thought it was funny all the hate Wallace received even though he was a very productive player with the Steelers......

LevonKirkland99
12-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Ok I guess I'm not entitled to have a different opinion then you......Where did I ever knock Bell?......I just prefer Eddie Lacy.....Jesus Christ some of you people on this site get so butt hurt if other fans don't like some of the same players as much as you....lol

Lacy looks to be more explosive then Bell and really that is the only knock on Bell is a lack of explosiveness and I think that is what prevents him from being a true elite RB.......I think he is going to be a very solid all around RB and is going to have a very good career........

As for Wallace, he has nothing to do with Bell or Lacy......Just more evidence on how dare I have an opinion of keeping a player that most of the fanbase doesn't like....I was on record on saying Wallace wasn't worth the 13 million per season he received from the Dolphins but just thought it was funny all the hate Wallace received even though he was a very productive player with the Steelers......

Bell with 124 yds....Lacy with 84 yds.

Its been a frustrating season, let's just have a beer!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-22-2013, 08:45 PM

That proves exactly what?.......

Big T
12-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Lol Lacy got hurt though. Lacy was impressive before he got hurt. Both RBs looked good today.

LastRide
12-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Bell got 11 extra carries, 26 to 15.