PDA

View Full Version : Playoff chances not dead yet...

Troyisabeast_43
11-29-2013, 08:59 AM
While the loss last night will make it tougher to get in as the 6th seed the Steelers I still believe can get in the playoffs at either 9-7 by winning out or even 8-8 and here is why. The Ravens still have games left at Detroit,New England,and at Cincy which they could definitely lose 2 of those maybe even all 3. The Chargers are 5-6 as well and have some tough games left and have a horrible conference record so if the Steelers finish tied with them record wise at 9-7 or 8-8 they should win the tiebraker based on conference record alone. Root for the Bengals to beat the Chargers Sunday now by the way. And the last team is the Dolphins who the Steelers play here next Sunday. If you beat them you own the tiebraker with them and they still have the Patriots left as well so they will do no better then 8-8 I believe. Im not worried about the Jets or Titans at this point because I think both will lose and fall apart enough to where they wont be factors. It basically I think will come down to the Steelers winning their AFC games they have left at home with Miami,Cincy and Cleveland and then maybe affording to drop that game to Green Bay. If that happens they finish at 8-8 with a 7-5 AFC record which will give them a definite tiebraker over the Chargers conference record wise.

The key is going to be needing Baltimore to lose at least 2 of those final 3 games and finish at 8-8. If the Steelers beat Miami,Cleveland,and Cincy,and the Ravens lets say lose to the Lions or Patriots and lose to the Bengals the Steelers would win the tiebraker over the Ravens based on division record 4-2 to the Ravens 3-3. Both teams would be 8-8 and they would win the tiebraker that way.

So the number of things to look for the last 4 weeks here the Steelers need to win all their AFC games they have left while they could I think still afford to lose at GB which is still a winnable game, continue to root for SD to lose to whoever they play,beat Miami next Sunday and win the tiebraker over them,and hope the Ravens lose at Cincy and either one of the two games to the Lions or Patriots. The Jets and Titans will fade at 5-6 over the next few weeks not worried about them. So the Steelers based on all of that are still very much in this race. It's not over yet at all...

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't want to make the playoffs. If my team can't get double digits in victories, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Right now, I've got Sammy Watkins on my mind as a true # 1 wide receiver for this team. Losing gets us closer to Watkins.

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Does anyone out here actually think this team can compete if they make it in?

You have Ike playing his worst football ever and is now being targeted every game. I sure as hell don't want to take that coverage into the playoffs. Eww!!

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Does anyone out here actually think this team can compete if they make it in?

You have Ike playing his worst football ever and is now being targeted every game. I sure as hell don't want to take that coverage into the playoffs. Eww!!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why I don't want to make the playoffs. We need a true # 1 WR and a true # 1 cornerback. My front office doesn't use free agency so we need to get as high in the draft as we can.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 09:31 AM
I dont want to be in the playoffs this season. This team needs a kick in the *** and a good draft position. They need an offensive playmaker and a defensive playmaker

questforSB7
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Troy...Yes it IS possible. But you know what is really sad ? Is if we had a Coach who could EVER get us MENTALLY ready to play teams who are CLEARLY LESS talented then we are...( Titans, Vikes, Oakland )...and not just THIS season either....we wouldn't be talking about these scenarios would we ?

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Troy...Yes it IS possible. But you know what is really sad ? Is if we had a Coach who could EVER get us MENTALLY ready to play teams who are CLEARLY LESS talented then we are...( Titans, Vikes, Oakland )...and not just THIS season either....we wouldn't be talking about these scenarios would we ?

We have a coach who can't even stay focused on the sideline lol

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 09:40 AM
We have a coach who can't even stay focused on the sideline lol

We have a joke of a coach. But that's a topic for another thread.

coldrolled
11-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Fire Tomlin and play the young guys... were done. we need draft picks, we couldn't win the wildcard week in the playoffs.

jdehoff83
11-29-2013, 10:59 AM
A common theme lately has been when the steelers have to win a game eespecially at the end of the season....mmmmm they dont .....

steelersbabex25
11-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Hey does anyone remember the '05 season?

jdehoff83
11-29-2013, 11:02 AM
id still like to make the playoffs ..guess its just my competitive nature

steelersbabex25
11-29-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd just like for the Ravens NOT to make the playoffs.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Hey does anyone remember the '05 season?

Different team with a whole different attitude........really they just lose out from this point......rather get the better draft pick now.......would have been nice to get a top five pick.......

steelersbabex25
11-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Different team with a whole different attitude........really they just lose out from this point......rather get the better draft pick now.......would have been nice to get a top five pick.......

I think that's what everyone thought about the '05 team until they started winning

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I think that's what everyone thought about the '05 team until they started winning

05 team has more attitude and were way more aggressive back then. This team plays not to lose.

mwittman5
11-29-2013, 12:26 PM
According to ESPN playoff machine we'd own the tie breaker with the ravens if we both finish 9-7 and we beat the bengals and browns and have the same division record. The toughest part is getting the jets to lose 2 games IMO. They have a cake schedule outside of playing carolina and the dolphins twice and bills is easy. Hopefully smith plays like a rookie. I dont think 8-8 gets in, gotta win out.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Not really.......Steelers were coming off a 15-1 season and did start off the season in 2005 in really good shape......They were 7-2 until a three game losing streak.........Most knew the Steelers had a very good team and could win out to get into the play-offs......What has this current team shown for us to have any confidence they will win out?........Like I said the 2005 team was a different team with a different attitude.......This current continues to show they can't get it done in key spots.....

questforSB7
11-29-2013, 12:36 PM
The 05 team was a 6th seed. But they also were 11-5, and had the leagues BEST Defense. HUGE Difference people.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 12:59 PM
This is NOT a playoff team, just stop it with the threads. I'm done being optimistic this season. Just pull Ben this upcoming week because we will have Guy whimper and Adams probably starting. Just play Landry Jones lol

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 01:01 PM
This is NOT a playoff team, just stop it with the threads. I'm done being optimistic this season. Just pull Ben this upcoming week because we will have Guy whimper and Adams probably starting. Just play Landry Jones lol

Yep...

NYCsteelersfan
11-29-2013, 01:23 PM
lol playoffs

NYCsteelersfan
11-29-2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

steelspikes
11-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Appreciate thread. Good to have a few optimists on this site to counter all the negativity (even though a lot of it is justified.)
I would be more optimistic if our O Line had not been decimated vs. the Ratbirds. When all said and done, very hard to see this team going on the road and winning as we did in early 2006. Competition this year is much stiffer. Steelers were tougher than the Bengals, Colts, and Broncos that year.

jdehoff83
11-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Jets are def not a team im worried about

jdehoff83
11-29-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd just like for the Ravens NOT to make the playoffs.

This too

Rocky#20
11-29-2013, 06:14 PM
You never know what will happen in the playoffs. Just last year the Ravens lost 4 out of their last 5 games and then won a miracle in Denver and of course later the Super Bowl. The Giants backed in with a 9-7 record a couple of years ago, got hot and won it all. Arizona was the worse 9-7 team in history getting killed in their losses by 40 and 50 points in some games. Again they got hot in the playoffs and came within a miracle pass from Ben to Holmes from hoisting the Lombardi.

Dean Denton
11-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Like I said earlier in the week going into this game. Steelers were at a disadvantage on the short week because of the age of our defense. This played out like I said it would. Defense is too old to keep up or make splash plays. In the playoffs I give this team a better chance to beat New England or Denver then Ravens, Bengals, Colts, KC or Chargers. We have a better QB then those other teams and if Bell is awake yet he was playing his a$$ off and I'm really excited about his future with this team playing next to Ben. Three weeks this line has not given up a sack and Ben has been playing great. There are no world beaters in the NFL this year and I give the Steelers a real shot if they make the playoffs. But if we just lost our center and LT for the year forget about it. Still, at this point we won't be getting that high draft pick so why not go for glory. Think Sparta.....

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2013, 05:39 AM
According to ESPN playoff machine we'd own the tie breaker with the ravens if we both finish 9-7 and we beat the bengals and browns and have the same division record. The toughest part is getting the jets to lose 2 games IMO. They have a cake schedule outside of playing carolina and the dolphins twice and bills is easy. Hopefully smith plays like a rookie. I dont think 8-8 gets in, gotta win out.Jets will finish no better then 8-8 so Im not worried about them. They wont beat Miami twice and Carolina should be able to beat them as well seeing that they are absolutely horrific on the road. I still think the Steelers can get in at 8-8 if they win all of their AFC games and lose to the Packers. I think the Ravens can finish 8-8 if they lose to either the Lions or Patriots which I think they will definitely do and at Cincinnati the Steelers get the tiebraker over them based on division record 4-2 to 3-3. Beat the Dolphins next week and have them lose at home to the Patriots and they finish 8-8 and you win the tiebraker over them based on head to head. And hope San Diego can lose 2 out of their final 5 games with the Bengals,Giants,Broncos,Raiders and Chiefs and they will finish at 8-8 and you win the tiebraker over them based on conference record 7-5 to 6-6.

This will become a little more clearer after this week and next if the Steelers beat the Dolphins and after the Ravens beat Minnesota and so forth. But if you look at all 3 of the main teams the Steelers need to catch to get that last spot and their schedules it is not impossible at all for them to get in at 8-8 and as long as they win their AFC games at home and lose that game to the Packers in Green Bay. It's not over yet fellas.

People said this season was done at 2-6 and things fell the Steelers way to a point where this week they controlled their own destiny if they won. The samething will happen here in about two weeks if the Steelers continue to win their games and take care of their own business.

Rocky#20
11-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Jets will finish no better then 8-8 so Im not worried about them. They wont beat Miami twice and Carolina should be able to beat them as well seeing that they are absolutely horrific on the road. I still think the Steelers can get in at 8-8 if they win all of their AFC games and lose to the Packers. I think the Ravens can finish 8-8 if they lose to either the Lions or Patriots which I think they will definitely do and at Cincinnati the Steelers get the tiebraker over them based on division record 4-2 to 3-3. Beat the Dolphins next week and have them lose at home to the Patriots and they finish 8-8 and you win the tiebraker over them based on head to head. And hope San Diego can lose 2 out of their final 5 games with the Bengals,Giants,Broncos,Raiders and Chiefs and they will finish at 8-8 and you win the tiebraker over them based on conference record 7-5 to 6-6.

This will become a little more clearer after this week and next if the Steelers beat the Dolphins and after the Ravens beat Minnesota and so forth. But if you look at all 3 of the main teams the Steelers need to catch to get that last spot and their schedules it is not impossible at all for them to get in at 8-8 and as long as they win their AFC games at home and lose that game to the Packers in Green Bay. It's not over yet fellas.

People said this season was done at 2-6 and things fell the Steelers way to a point where this week they controlled their own destiny if they won. The samething will happen here in about two weeks if the Steelers continue to win their games and take care of their own business.

You're exactly right, and if the Steelers get in at 8-8 that means they will play either the Colts or Bengals in the first round and we can win against either one of them.

NYCsteelersfan
11-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Velasco placed on IR. Playoff chances are dead and buried.

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2013, 10:32 AM
The Steelers are most likely going to beat at least Miami next week at home and Cleveland the final week of the season and end up at 7-9 I feel at the very worst so at this point there is no reason to root for this team to lose every game and finish at 5-11 because it's not going to happen. There is no difference really in picks between finishing 7-9 and 8-8 in my opinion.

I still think the Steelers can make a run at this 6th seed whether Velasco is in there or not. Im still rooting for Tennessee,Jets,and San Diego to all lose today. I want Miami to beat the Jets to give the Jets at least one more loss and seeing that the Steelers play Miami next Sunday they will have a chance to win the tiebraker over them next week and pull ahead of them in the wildcard race. The bottom line is this isnt over yet and it wont be for another few weeks.The Ravens schedule after they play the Vikings and beat them next week gets very very tough and the Chargers as well is very very tough as well and their conference record as I mentioned is terrible. I still believe the race for this last wildcard spot is going to come down to the final week of the season between the Steelers and the Ravens when they play in Cincinnati. You heard it here first on the 1st day of December...

questforSB7
12-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Miami is not a done deal. They have a very good defense. Twice the Sacks and Interceptions we have. A very good QB in Tannehill who can run to avoid pressure, and three legit Wide outs. And don't sell short Miller at RB. This game will NOT be a
guaranteed win for us. Especially with a week to get a totally NEW O-line ready for us.

LatrobePA
12-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Lol you said a very good QB.. Wow you clearly have no football sense at all.

questforSB7
12-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Lol you said a very good QB.. Wow you clearly have no football sense at all.

I have no common sense ? Tannehill was a rookie last season, with no real WR or decent running game, and he threw for 3200 + yards...and he is doing better this season. You think he is a joke ? Put him on Seattle or San Fran with their talents...and he is every bit as good, if not better.

Dean Denton
12-01-2013, 01:10 PM
I have no common sense ? Tannehill was a rookie last season, with no real WR or decent running game, and he threw for 3200 + yards...and he is doing better this season. You think he is a joke ? Put him on Seattle or San Fran with their talents...and he is every bit as good, if not better.
You know, I gotta agree with this. Wilson I believe is a product of that team in Seattle and Tannehill would be every bit as good out there. Same with SF. He's a much better QB then kapercrack IMO.

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I still like the Steelers chances having 10 days rest playing at home next Sunday against a warm weather team in Miami. Velasco was a big part of the line no doubt but the other guys on the line such as Beachum,Decastro,Foster and even Gilbert have all been playing better and if they arent comfortable going with Cody Wallace as the center next week they can always use Beachum at center like they did opening week when Pouncey got hurt and play Mike Adams at left tackle who has been playing better as well. Tannehill has been sacked more then any QB in football so hopefully the defense can get pressure on him and force him to turn the ball over. I think this game will be very close but I like the Steelers chances playing at home in this game next Sunday...

Dean Denton
12-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I still like the Steelers chances having 10 days rest playing at home next Sunday against a warm weather team in Miami. Velasco was a big part of the line no doubt but the other guys on the line such as Beachum,Decastro,Foster and even Gilbert have all been playing better and if they arent comfortable going with Cody Wallace as the center next week they can always use Beachum at center like they did opening week when Pouncey got hurt and play Mike Adams at left tackle who has been playing better as well. Tannehill has been sacked more then any QB in football so hopefully the defense can get pressure on him and force him to turn the ball over. I think this game will be very close but I like the Steelers chances playing at home in this game next Sunday...

If Adams is left to defend Wake Ben won't make it to halftime.

questforSB7
12-01-2013, 03:32 PM
If Adams is left to defend Wake Ben won't make it to halftime.

If Adams is at LT against Wake...we will have to HOLD a WAKE for Ben after the game.

SuperSteelers
12-01-2013, 03:49 PM
The Steelers are most likely going to beat at least Miami next week at home and Cleveland the final week of the season and end up at 7-9 I feel at the very worst so at this point there is no reason to root for this team to lose every game and finish at 5-11 because it's not going to happen. There is no difference really in picks between finishing 7-9 and 8-8 in my opinion.

I still think the Steelers can make a run at this 6th seed whether Velasco is in there or not. Im still rooting for Tennessee,Jets,and San Diego to all lose today. I want Miami to beat the Jets to give the Jets at least one more loss and seeing that the Steelers play Miami next Sunday they will have a chance to win the tiebraker over them next week and pull ahead of them in the wildcard race. The bottom line is this isnt over yet and it wont be for another few weeks.The Ravens schedule after they play the Vikings and beat them next week gets very very tough and the Chargers as well is very very tough as well and their conference record as I mentioned is terrible. I still believe the race for this last wildcard spot is going to come down to the final week of the season between the Steelers and the Ravens when they play in Cincinnati. You heard it here first on the 1st day of December...

My sheet actually shows San Diego winning today's game. Too many factors favor the Chargers and the biggest one being that the game will be played on the West coast and the second factor is it is a later game, which doesn't bode well for Cincinnati.

Dean Denton
12-01-2013, 03:50 PM
If Adams is at LT against Wake...we will have to HOLD a WAKE for Ben after the game.

Lol, good one...

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Steelers get help early on today as Tennessee,the Jets,and even the Browns lose. I mentioned that the Steelers wanted Miami to beat the Jets seeing that the Steelers will play Miami next week and Miami still has to play New England as well and will have a chance to jump Miami in the standings and hold the tiebraker if they win next week here at home. All the Steelers need is SD to lose to Cincinnati today and the Steelers would have had everything fall their way today in terms of getting help to stay alive for the wildcard. If San Diego loses today to the Bengals that gives them 7 losses and the best they can do conference record wise in the AFC would be 6-6 while the Steelers can go 7-5 if they win all of their AFC games they have left here at Heinz Field. Plus, SD still has to play at Denver too which they will probably lose as well so the Steelers should be able to get the tiebraker on the Chargers at either 9-7 or even 8-8.

Ill keep saying this is not over and I still believe it will come down to the last week of the season between the Steelers and the Ravens for that final 6th spot in the AFC seeing that the Ravens have the Lions,Patriots and Bengals left on their schedule after they play the Vikings next weekend.

questforSB7
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
If Miami wins next week against us...we SHOULD close Ben down. Cause with 8 losses...one against Miami...there is NO way Miami loses 2 out of their final 3. Both the Bills and Jets again at Miami ?...Not a chance in Hell. So if we fail to beat Miami next Sunday....any SMART NFL Coach would take it's FRANCHISE out and sit him.

But the word SMART should never be used to discribe Mike Tomlin.

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2013, 04:40 PM
If Miami wins next week against us...we SHOULD close Ben down. Cause with 8 losses...one against Miami...there is NO way Miami loses 2 out of their final 3. Both the Bills and Jets again at Miami ?...Not a chance in Hell. So if we fail to beat Miami next Sunday....any SMART NFL Coach would take it's FRANCHISE out and sit him.

But the word SMART should never be used to discribe Mike Tomlin.I agree with you a loss to the Dolphins next week will end any chance of playoff talk and Ben could probably be shut down the rest of the season. However, I think the Steelers do win next week and they keep their playoff hopes alive going into the final 3 weeks of the season where the Ravens as I mentioned after they play the Vikings next week and get to 7-6 most likely after that still have to play at Detroit,home against New England and at Cincinnati to close out the year...

Rocky#20
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree with you a loss to the Dolphins next week will end any chance of playoff talk and Ben could probably be shut down the rest of the season. However, I think the Steelers do win next week and they keep their playoff hopes alive going into the final 3 weeks of the season where the Ravens as I mentioned after they play the Vikings next week and get to 7-6 most likely after that still have to play at Detroit,home against New England and at Cincinnati to close out the year...

The Vikings are a much better team with Cassel at QB, if Ponder can't come back from a concussion, so a Ravens win against them isn't automatic. Also the Packers are seriously considering shutting down Rodgers for the year which means the Steelers will probably face Matt Flynn.

Big T
12-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Wake plays on the left side of the defense, LE. He'll be going against Gilbert. Whoever is at LT will have Olivier Vernon who is surprising playing quite well. He just had 2.5 sacks against the Jets. He's tied for 6th in the league with 10 sacks. Wake has 6.5.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Matt Flynn once threw 6 TD's in game and knows the Green Bay system.......Yes no Aaron Rodgers is a huge plus but the Steelers can't sleep on Matt Flynn......

Dean Denton
12-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Wake plays on the left side of the defense, LE. He'll be going against Gilbert. Whoever is at LT will have Olivier Vernon who is surprising playing quite well. He just had 2.5 sacks against the Jets. He's tied for 6th in the league with 10 sacks. Wake has 6.5.

He does but they can rotate him to the other just to gain an advantage. Baltimore has done it with Suggs. Suggs use to come from Bens right side, and Sunday they had him coming from the left. Wake is good enough to play either side.

Big T
12-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Matt Flynn once threw 6 TD's in game and knows the Green Bay system.......Yes no Aaron Rodgers is a huge plus but the Steelers can't sleep on Matt Flynn......

Yes but, even though it's a division game, they only put up 10 points on the Lions. The same defense that gave up 37 to the Steelers.

Big T
12-02-2013, 01:31 PM
He does but they can rotate him to the other just to gain an advantage. Baltimore has done it with Suggs. Suggs use to come from Bens right side, and Sunday they had him coming from the left. Wake is good enough to play either side.

Obviously they can move him lol... I was just pointing out that Wake plays LE and will primarily be going against Gilbert. They won't need to rotate him for a matchup... He's got a favorable one against Gilbert and Vernon is doing more than just holding his own at RE.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes but, even though it's a division game, they only put up 10 points on the Lions. The same defense that gave up 37 to the Steelers.

Flynn was god awful on Thanksgiving against the Lions no doubt and has been bounced from both the Seahawks/Raiders but I'm just saying Flynn has proven he can go out and have a quality NFL start....I'm just saying its not an automatic win with Rodgers out that is all........

Big T
12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Flynn was god awful on Thanksgiving against the Lions no doubt and has been bounced from both the Seahawks/Raiders but I'm just saying Flynn has proven he can go out and have a quality NFL start....I'm just saying its not an automatic win with Rodgers out that is all........

I can agree with that

Troyisabeast_43
12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
If the Steelers are going to lose one more game and still possibly get in the playoffs at 8-8 which I still believe they have a chance of doing based on the other teams they are chasing and their schedules then the game you want them to lose is in Green Bay to the Packers. If the Steelers win all of their remaining AFC games which are all at home btw where they have played much much better their conference record would be 7-5 and they most likely will own tiebrakers over the Ravens,Dolphins,and Chargers if they all end up finishing 8-8 which I think has a strong chance of happening. These are really the three teams who they really need to worry about in terms of getting that 6th seed over...