PDA

View Full Version : This sums up the offense pretty much all year.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/29/Gene-Collier-Steelers-offense-missing-deep-concept/stories/201311290133

BALTIMORE -- You might suppose there was some quantum of solace from that crazy finish, but the emphasis this morning is on "finish" right?

That the Ravens held off the Steelers, 22-20, hard by the Inner Harbor on Thanksgiving night is not under review, even if everything else was.

Let me just guess that you've had your fill of replays to go with the turkey, stuffing, etc. The Steelers appeared to score three touchdowns in the 58th minute of this typically vicious collision of AFC North Division rivals, but as we've learned to thoroughly in this football life, a touchdown is not a touchdown until the technology confirms it.

Heath Miller scored in the 58th minute, until the imagery disagreed, placing his knee some 18 inches from the end zone.

Le'Veon Bell scored in the 58th, and likely paid for it with a concussion, but the imagery disagreed, reveling that his helmet flew off with the ball the same 18 inches from the end zone, which by rule, ends the play. Funny how the helmet rule gets called in that situation, but the thunderous helmet-to-helmet hit by Courtney Upshaw on Bell, the one that caused Bell's helmet to squirt into the end zone, the one that caused every Steelers player on the field to kneel next to the fallen Bell in fear of his immediate future -- funny that that somehow does not get called.

Yeah, I'm not laughing either.

Jerricho Cotchery actually did score, pulling the Steelers to within 22-20, but the 2-point conversion attempt that started with the best Ben Roethlisberger throw of the game ended with the ball going through Emmanuel Sanders' mitts along the left boundary of the end zone.

The Steelers are thus 5-7, the Ravens 6-6, and any remaining playoffs discussion is practically moot.

For most of this one, it was so much for that Steelers-offense-hitting-its-stride theory, something that sounded good until it got the acid test, the Ravens test, and then it sounded more like crack of a shin bone against the coffee table.

It wasn't as though the scoreless first half that pitched the Steelers into a 10-point hole lacked for a worthy example of aggressiveness, because on Baltimore's first possession, Joe Flacco dropped back and cranked one down the middle 54 yards to the Steelers 1.

What an idea.

Sending your top receiver on a deep post just because, well, just because you never know when a misstep or two will put you on an end zone's doorstep.

Torrey Smith appeared to beat Cortez Allen, but it's more likely Allen didn't get the safety help he anticipated, though in either case, the Ravens had a touchdown after just eight plays.

The Steelers would get one, too, but after about two hours of flailing about with a goofy array of chuck-and-duckery, dink-and-dunkery, or as the analysts love to call it these days, "pitch and catch."

If this back-breaking loss to the Ravens were actually a game of pitch-and-catch, starting hurler Roethlisberger would have walked the bases loaded and been yanked at some point in the early innings.

Ben threw high, threw low, had his sinker working, his fastball tailing, and rarely hit anybody in stride for most of a long game that very nearly saw the end of his 25-game streak with at least one touchdown pass.

That he avoided with an 8-yard toss to Sanders that erected some false hope in the third quarter, but it just wasn't going to matter when the Steelers continue to eschew the idea of even testing Baltimore's suspect secondary in the deeper areas.

This actually started in the first meeting Oct. 20 of the two fiercest AFC North rivals at Heinz Field, where despite putting together a passer rating of 107.2 in a 19-16 victory, Roethlisberger failed to complete a single throw of more than 19 yards.

Thursday night, he didn't complete a 20-yarder until he found Heath Miller for 21 early in the third quarter.

Oh yeah, he was airing it out.

Thank God we got to see the wildcat offense again, with Ben split wide to left, then coming in motion and stopping behind the center, from where he took a conventional snap and handed the ball to Bell.

Brilliant.

Through three quarters then, Big Ben had 15 small completions totaling 115 yards, or less than 8 yards apiece, which I don't believe would match the length of my hotel room. For the record, the longest Big Ben completion was a short slant that Bell turned into a 29-gain late in the fourth quarter.

That all this was happening in the Steelers' 20th consecutive game without a 100-yard rusher only served to re-emphasize the pathology that put Mike Tomlin's team in that 0-4 hole to start the season. It had all the more clarity because Flacco continued to drive the Ravens for field goals on throws of a more swashbuckling nature -- 34 yards to Jacoby Jones on the Baltimore drive that made it 19-7, 22 yards to Ray Rice on the possession that made it 22-14.

What a concept.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/29/Gene-Collier-Steelers-offense-missing-deep-concept/stories/201311290133#ixzz2m2QdcLlh

teeceemadison
11-29-2013, 08:59 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/29/Gene-Collier-Steelers-offense-missing-deep-concept/stories/201311290133

BALTIMORE -- You might suppose there was some quantum of solace from that crazy finish, but the emphasis this morning is on "finish" right?

That the Ravens held off the Steelers, 22-20, hard by the Inner Harbor on Thanksgiving night is not under review, even if everything else was.

Let me just guess that you've had your fill of replays to go with the turkey, stuffing, etc. The Steelers appeared to score three touchdowns in the 58th minute of this typically vicious collision of AFC North Division rivals, but as we've learned to thoroughly in this football life, a touchdown is not a touchdown until the technology confirms it.

Heath Miller scored in the 58th minute, until the imagery disagreed, placing his knee some 18 inches from the end zone.

Le'Veon Bell scored in the 58th, and likely paid for it with a concussion, but the imagery disagreed, reveling that his helmet flew off with the ball the same 18 inches from the end zone, which by rule, ends the play. Funny how the helmet rule gets called in that situation, but the thunderous helmet-to-helmet hit by Courtney Upshaw on Bell, the one that caused Bell's helmet to squirt into the end zone, the one that caused every Steelers player on the field to kneel next to the fallen Bell in fear of his immediate future -- funny that that somehow does not get called.

Yeah, I'm not laughing either.

Jerricho Cotchery actually did score, pulling the Steelers to within 22-20, but the 2-point conversion attempt that started with the best Ben Roethlisberger throw of the game ended with the ball going through Emmanuel Sanders' mitts along the left boundary of the end zone.

The Steelers are thus 5-7, the Ravens 6-6, and any remaining playoffs discussion is practically moot.

For most of this one, it was so much for that Steelers-offense-hitting-its-stride theory, something that sounded good until it got the acid test, the Ravens test, and then it sounded more like crack of a shin bone against the coffee table.

It wasn't as though the scoreless first half that pitched the Steelers into a 10-point hole lacked for a worthy example of aggressiveness, because on Baltimore's first possession, Joe Flacco dropped back and cranked one down the middle 54 yards to the Steelers 1.

What an idea.

Sending your top receiver on a deep post just because, well, just because you never know when a misstep or two will put you on an end zone's doorstep.

Torrey Smith appeared to beat Cortez Allen, but it's more likely Allen didn't get the safety help he anticipated, though in either case, the Ravens had a touchdown after just eight plays.

The Steelers would get one, too, but after about two hours of flailing about with a goofy array of chuck-and-duckery, dink-and-dunkery, or as the analysts love to call it these days, "pitch and catch."

If this back-breaking loss to the Ravens were actually a game of pitch-and-catch, starting hurler Roethlisberger would have walked the bases loaded and been yanked at some point in the early innings.

Ben threw high, threw low, had his sinker working, his fastball tailing, and rarely hit anybody in stride for most of a long game that very nearly saw the end of his 25-game streak with at least one touchdown pass.

That he avoided with an 8-yard toss to Sanders that erected some false hope in the third quarter, but it just wasn't going to matter when the Steelers continue to eschew the idea of even testing Baltimore's suspect secondary in the deeper areas.

This actually started in the first meeting Oct. 20 of the two fiercest AFC North rivals at Heinz Field, where despite putting together a passer rating of 107.2 in a 19-16 victory, Roethlisberger failed to complete a single throw of more than 19 yards.

Thursday night, he didn't complete a 20-yarder until he found Heath Miller for 21 early in the third quarter.

Oh yeah, he was airing it out.

Thank God we got to see the wildcat offense again, with Ben split wide to left, then coming in motion and stopping behind the center, from where he took a conventional snap and handed the ball to Bell.

Brilliant.

Through three quarters then, Big Ben had 15 small completions totaling 115 yards, or less than 8 yards apiece, which I don't believe would match the length of my hotel room. For the record, the longest Big Ben completion was a short slant that Bell turned into a 29-gain late in the fourth quarter.

That all this was happening in the Steelers' 20th consecutive game without a 100-yard rusher only served to re-emphasize the pathology that put Mike Tomlin's team in that 0-4 hole to start the season. It had all the more clarity because Flacco continued to drive the Ravens for field goals on throws of a more swashbuckling nature -- 34 yards to Jacoby Jones on the Baltimore drive that made it 19-7, 22 yards to Ray Rice on the possession that made it 22-14.

What a concept.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/29/Gene-Collier-Steelers-offense-missing-deep-concept/stories/201311290133#ixzz2m2QdcLlh

come on, one deep pass completion for joe flaccid, and the rest of the nite he was all dink and dunk too.....that is pretty much what every team does against as usual...dink dunk, and we let it happen, and wonder why we cant get off the field on third down....

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 09:12 AM
The Ravens offense is way more aggressive to be honest. Be realistic here. Plus this is about OUR offense not taking shots and playing to conservative, which is very true.

teeceemadison
11-29-2013, 09:13 AM
The Ravens offense is way more aggressive to be honest. Be realistic here. Plus this is about OUR offense not taking shots and playing to conservative, which is very true.

again, one deep completion, hell, ben threw at least three deep balls as well....the rest was the garbage dink n dunk....

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Ben wasn't even touched last night. Which do we want to see? Ben getting hammered trying to throw 80 yard bombs or Ben taking an 8 yard completion? I had no problems with the game Haley called. This don't make me love him I just thought it wasn't terrible.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 09:27 AM
7 points the first 3 quarters. Pathetic. Guess it was horrible game planning then.

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 09:29 AM
As much as everyone hates to admit it, Ben was out to lunch to start the game.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 09:40 AM
As much as everyone hates to admit it, Ben was out to lunch to start the game.

You mean after our first 4-5 plays were all runs? Thats what are first 2 possessions were lol

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 09:42 AM
You mean after our first 4-5 plays were all runs? Thats what are first 2 possessions were lol

Ben checked out to them if you recall.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Ben checked out to them if you recall.

Not sure if the forum is blind, everyone knew that the play calling was pussified to NOT lose last night instead of trying to win the game.

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Not sure if the forum is blind, everyone knew that the play calling was pussified to NOT lose last night instead of trying to win the game.

What did you want to see them do?

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 10:13 AM

I wanted to see them not run three straight running plays on our first possession. Did they think Ngata was inactive for the game or something? Did they forget who there opponent was?

In dealing with the Ravens, you know you need to pass to set up the run. You just can't make a living running on the Ravens.

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Yea the 3 runs shocked me as well. That I thought set the tone or lack of to start the game.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Take the ****ing Chasity belt off of Ben and air throws out. I'm all about Ben being up right but holy ****, quit treating him like a rookie and more like a 2 time Superbowl champ who is the franchise player getting paid the most money.

teeceemadison
11-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Ben wasn't even touched last night. Which do we want to see? Ben getting hammered trying to throw 80 yard bombs or Ben taking an 8 yard completion? I had no problems with the game Haley called. This don't make me love him I just thought it wasn't terrible.

well, the qeuestion of aggressive play was brought up, and that the ravens were 'agressive' i just pointed out that we threw a few bombs as well, etc.....all in all, the game plan was very slow in getting started, especially that first drive....you have the afc offensive player of month behind center and you come out with three lame runs in the biggest game of the season?????

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Take the ****ing Chasity belt off of Ben and air throws out. I'm all about Ben being up right but holy ****, quit treating him like a rookie and more like a 2 time Superbowl champ who is the franchise player getting paid the most money.

Again if you were Haley what plays would you of ran and why? Seriously I'm asking an honest question..

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 10:45 AM
well, the qeuestion of aggressive play was brought up, and that the ravens were 'agressive' i just pointed out that we threw a few bombs as well, etc.....all in all, the game plan was very slow in getting started, especially that first drive....you have the afc offensive player of month behind center and you come out with three lame runs in the biggest game of the season?????

This.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Again if you were Haley what plays would you of ran and why? Seriously I'm asking an honest question..

1. More play action
2. 5 shots of 30 yards or more
3. Quit having receivers all running 5-10 yard routes, doesnt spread the defense
4. As much as Baltimore was blitzing, a few more screens to Bell
5. More Jones out of the backfield
6. More Wheaton
7. More runs to the right side with DD/Gilbert
8. 2-3 WR screens to Brown to get him involved at least
9. Is Moye hurt?? Why sit such a big receiver

DBR96A
11-29-2013, 08:16 PM

Glad you noticed the hypocrisy too. Ben played the "smart football" that so many people claim he can't or won't, and now we're all bitching about the play-calling being "too conservative." If he ran around waiting for somebody to get open deep, we'd crucify him for "playground football." And while I agree that the play-calling was too conservative, I disagree with the reason why. Ben took shots downfield; the problem was, nobody was catching them. Antonio Brown would have had a deep TD late in the first quarter if he kept running instead of suddenly slowing down for no reason. Emmanuel Sanders had another pass land on him as he laid on his back in the end zone. My complaint with the play-calling is that it tried to establish the run at all costs, wasting drives in the process. This is why the offense was unproductive in the first half. And whatever they've been trying to do with the running game clearly hasn't worked this season, so how about passing to set up the run like every other team with an elite QB does? There's no sense in taking the ball out of Ben's hands, especially since the offense is more productive when he's in control.

And I can't let the defense off the hook either. They did a good job of not allowing TDs, but they forced one punt all game, which isn't enough. The Ravens scored at least a FG on all but two of their possessions. Allowing one less FG would have won the game for the Steelers.