PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones Is A Bust

BubbyBlister
11-29-2013, 04:01 AM
What to early ? I don't think so and great college player but not ready for the NFL. Speed and moves are nothing special at the NFL level and that dude seriously needs to put on some muscle just to be a average NFL player. If that doesn't happen he does not deserve to be a starter on any NFL team.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Troy looks bigger than him, just not as tall. Dude looks like a ****ing CB trying to rush the passer

Nolrog
11-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Le Sigh. Half way into the year as a rookie on a team where rookies rarely play. He may turn out to be a bust, but yeah, it's way too early to tell. Give it to 2015 and we'll see.

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Everyone was calling Worlids a bust, he's now the most disruptive player we have, well besides Sanders..

Jones needs time!

Nolrog
11-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Everyone was calling Worlids a bust, he's now the most disruptive player we have, well besides Sanders..

Ha ha. Good one. It's really sad how true that is. If we trace Sanders' lineage back, will we find a place where it connects with the Sweeds?

Big T
11-29-2013, 09:55 AM
What to early ? I don't think so and great college player but not ready for the NFL. Speed and moves are nothing special at the NFL level and that dude seriously needs to put on some muscle just to be a average NFL player. If that doesn't happen he does not deserve to be a starter on any NFL team.

You're truly a gem BubbyBlister. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Jones will be fine next year with a year under his belt. I have no concerns about Jones being what we want him to be down the line.

coldrolled
11-29-2013, 10:46 AM
We need a shutdown corner.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 10:48 AM

We need a different DC, tired of these 8-12 yard cushions and playing like pansies on 3rd down that give up to many hitchs/outs and slants

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2013, 10:50 AM
They refuse to use a high draft pick on a legitimate cornerback. You can forget that. That seems to be against Colbert's religion or something.

LatrobePA
11-29-2013, 10:56 AM

We do, Ike t square can't cover Taylor.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Am I the only one who thinks NOT GOING OFFENSE in the first is a great idea?

Nolrog
11-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Too soon to tell. Need to see how the season finishes up, what the decisions are with FAs and any cap casualties. Right now, I'd agree that defense is a bigger need, but that could change.

NYCsteelersfan
11-29-2013, 03:46 PM

I think it's a bad idea unless there is a sure fire defensive lineman to be had at whatever pick we end up with. WR and offensive lineman are still more important.

Mike Tomlin
11-29-2013, 03:49 PM
I think Jones has done well this year people talk about his size he looks thin but i've seen the guy listed at 240 and he's strong. I've seen him get close a lot this season, i've seen him hold the point attack well, but you can't expect him to beat some of these quick backs to the edge lol. He will be really good for us once his technique gets ,better just look at how he lines up before the snap, and go back and watch Harrison. That cat had awesome footwork, I think it was really hard for tackles to get a target on him pre-snap which gave a guy with that type of strength and leverage a huge advantage. Jarvis lines up damn near nose to nose with the tackle at the snap and doesn't move at all alot of the time lol, I don't know if that's something he's told to do or if it's players choice. Learning the scheme while still being Jarvis is a hard enough task , when he learns the small adjustments and advantages he'll start making the highlight plays people are expecting.

LevonKirkland99
11-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Are you serious or ...? with all due respect...Jarvis Jones is a rookie, the jury is still out on him. GIVE him ONE or TWO or THREE more years before making judgement.

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 04:39 PM
I think it's a bad idea unless there is a sure fire defensive lineman to be had at whatever pick we end up with. WR and offensive lineman are still more important.

I would still take Nix in the first, that's just me. We need a NT and he is the BPA even with the injury he had at ND. I dont think this team can go wrong picking at any position right now as we need help in all areas.

NYCsteelersfan
11-29-2013, 04:52 PM
I dont think this team can go wrong picking at any position right now as we need help in all areas.

I mostly agree with that. If Velasco and Pouncey are both brought back next season, I would prefer the team take a WR in the first, especially with Sanders not coming back. Can't go into next season with Brown, Cotchery and Wheaton.

If Velasco or Pouncey is let go, they should bring in another offensive lineman since it's pretty clear that Adams is a bust. This team's offense has greatly improved because that offensive line has greatly improved. I think there is still room for improvement and Roethlisberger would only become more dangerous if the line improved a bit more.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2013, 05:05 PM
I mostly agree with that. If Velasco and Pouncey are both brought back next season, I would prefer the team take a WR in the first, especially with Sanders not coming back. Can't go into next season with Brown, Cotchery and Wheaton.

If Velasco or Pouncey is let go, they should bring in another offensive lineman since it's pretty clear that Adams is a bust. This team's offense has greatly improved because that offensive line has greatly improved. I think there is still room for improvement and Roethlisberger would only become more dangerous if the line improved a bit more.

Ben has proven he can very good without a superior OL but he can't be if the OL is dreadful like they were in the earlier part of this season......This team needs help at WR and really an athletic TE that can really hurt a defense....I love Miller and he is solid but would be great to have a Gronk, Jimmy Graham type of TE......I'm all for loading up the offense and just putting bandaids for the defense......

BubbyBlister
11-29-2013, 05:43 PM
You're truly a gem BubbyBlister. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Thanks Big T and that means a lot to me coming from my favorite poster on the forum.

Big T
11-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks Big T and that means a lot to me coming from my favorite poster on the forum.

Good. I always love making someone's day :)

steelchamp204
11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Ben has proven he can very good without a superior OL but he can't be if the OL is dreadful like they were in the earlier part of this season......This team needs help at WR and really an athletic TE that can really hurt a defense....I love Miller and he is solid but would be great to have a Gronk, Jimmy Graham type of TE......I'm all for loading up the offense and just putting bandaids for the defense......

That's the hard thing about this draft. Either we pass on Watkins for offense in the first and Go Amaro or ASJ, Or go Watkins and go with who at TE in the 2nd, I highly doubt that ASJ makes it into the 2nd and doubt that Ebron falls that far also. As much as you guys love Watkins WR runs deep this year in the draft.

1. ASJ-TE
2. Moncrief-WR
3. Aaron Colvin-CB fits great in zone)
4. Josh Mauro (Maybe even trade up to the 3rd for this kid)-DE
5. Hoffman-WR
6. Punter from Iowa State

DBR96A
11-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Yeah, Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons were busts too.

Dean Denton
11-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Jarvis is a rookie, he'll be fine. He's going to put on size and strength in the next few years. Technique will get much better too. As far as draft... I'm liking what the oline has been doing and if we bring these guys back well be fine just adding depth. After the way last night and this season has gone I don't see how anyone can argue that the secondary is our biggest need in the draft. Old, slow and can't create turnovers. Especially on a Thursday game. They need the full week to recover.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-30-2013, 12:09 AM
They said the same thing about Troy, and we see how that turned out, give him time

NYCsteelersfan
11-30-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm all for loading up the offense and just putting bandaids for the defense......

Agreed

BubbyBlister
11-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Good. I always love making someone's day :)
I was being sarcastic of course but no hard feelings with me. We are all Steeler fans in the end and all is good. You are cool with me Big T! Also I don't dislike someone just cause I don't agree with there opinion.

Big T
11-30-2013, 02:27 AM
I was being sarcastic of course but no hard feelings with me. We are all Steeler fans in the end and all is good. You are cool with me Big T! Also I don't dislike someone just cause I don't agree with there opinion.

Agree 100 percent. I too was being sarcastic lol. It's all good. No ill will here.

LevonKirkland99
11-30-2013, 09:50 AM

I agree here. We need help on offense, because we can always get by (somewhat) on defense. We'll always be competitive defensively, but if we don't have offensive weapons, then we are in big trouble.

I hope they address these needs in the off season.

JensK
11-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I agree here. We need help on offense, because we can always get by (somewhat) on defense. We'll always be competitive defensively, but if we don't have offensive weapons, then we are in big trouble.

I hope they address these needs in the off season.

Furthermore, we actually have some potentially promising young talents on defense. I hate using the word potential, as it usually equals that someone is not playing as well as anticipated, however this is often how it works with our defense. Obviously we have Thomas, who looks very good. Williams has looked much better than what we could have asked for. Jones will be a good player! I truly believe this. Heyward is finally living up to the hype coming out. Al Woods is suddenly showing glimps as well. Cortez is also starting to be truly healthy for the first time in a while, and he is playing some good football. Worilds is surprising virtually everyone right now. We are not many pieces away from a very good defense!

Clevelandsux
11-30-2013, 03:36 PM
I think jones will be fine the more he plays.

NYCsteelersfan
11-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Furthermore, we actually have some potentially promising young talents on defense. I hate using the word potential, as it usually equals that someone is not playing as well as anticipated, however this is often how it works with our defense. Obviously we have Thomas, who looks very good. Williams has looked much better than what we could have asked for. Jones will be a good player! I truly believe this. Heyward is finally living up to the hype coming out. Al Woods is suddenly showing glimps as well. Cortez is also starting to be truly healthy for the first time in a while, and he is playing some good football. Worilds is surprising virtually everyone right now. We are not many pieces away from a very good defense!

Agreed.

greg1964
12-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not willing to come to any hard conlusions yet: Ike, Troy, Woodley, Foote, Keisle, Haywood, Worilds (current Steelers players) Harrison, Porter, Gildon, Little, Kirkland Llyod, (pass Steelers LB) did plan well there 1st year neither.

coldrolled
12-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Most OLB's cant hit or get to the QB much anymore, especially the elite QB's ...
The rules changed and the refs are not calling holds to protect the QB even more. Its a passing league...
Defenses need to change and figure a new way to hit the QB.

I watch a lot of games and see OLB's constantly turning around and looking at the refs like WTF already...

K Train
12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not willing to come to any hard conlusions yet: Ike, Troy, Woodley, Foote, Keisle, Haywood, Worilds (current Steelers players) Harrison, Porter, Gildon, Little, Kirkland Llyod, (pass Steelers LB) did plan well there 1st year neither.

Woodley was actually a ****ing monster his rookie year. Timmons on the other hand got the bust label pretty early, which is just business as usual now if you arent a day one starter and pro bowler

Dean Denton
12-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Woodley was actually a ****ing monster his rookie year. Timmons on the other hand got the bust label pretty early, which is just business as usual now if you arent a day one starter and pro bowler

I'm still not sold on Timmons. Once every 8 games he seems to make a play that makes me jump up and notice him, but I've yet to see anything that has been first round worthy. To me, ultimate bust. Unless he was taken in the third or fourth round.

DanRooney
12-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm still not sold on Timmons. Once every 8 games he seems to make a play that makes me jump up and notice him, but I've yet to see anything that has been first round worthy. To me, ultimate bust. Unless he was taken in the third or fourth round.

He's the best player on the Steelers defense. I don't know what you're not sold on.

Woodley is garbage.

K Train
12-03-2013, 01:40 PM
And thus the life of a middle linebacker

Timmons is king out there, splash plays do not always have to set the bar on what makes a player good. Hes excellent in traffic, excellent at taking on guards, and he can run stride for stride with many TEs and RBs

Hes also a terrific blitzing MLB

ChucktownSteeler
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Timmons is fine. I don't know where we'd be right now if we didn't have him.

Dean Denton
12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Holy crap, I guess I need glasses then because I never see it. Has he ever won def player of the week? Game day MVP or the game ball? Or given any recognition for anything at all? I mean I never even notice him on the field.

K Train
12-03-2013, 03:05 PM
He is easily a top 10 MLB in my opinion

NeilPatrickBanana
12-03-2013, 03:51 PM
And thus the life of a middle linebacker

Timmons is king out there, splash plays do not always have to set the bar on what makes a player good. Hes excellent in traffic, excellent at taking on guards, and he can run stride for stride with many TEs and RBs

Hes also a terrific blitzing MLB

Seconded

He basically does everything you'd want a 3-4 ILB to do, and does all of it at a high level. He doesn't have a signature elite trait, but he's very good at everything and there are no flaws in his game.

Dean Denton
12-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Seconded

He basically does everything you'd want a 3-4 ILB to do, and does all of it at a high level. He doesn't have a signature elite trait, but he's very good at everything and there are no flaws in his game.

Hmm, interesting...

Big T
12-03-2013, 04:05 PM
He is easily a top 10 MLB in my opinion

Not an opinion lol

Honestly though, dude is a top 10 MLB for sure.

Dean Denton
12-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Timmons was ranked in the top 10 for MLB and was the steelers 2012 MVP. I didn't know this. I just don't see him doing anything to catch my attention. I'm always looking for him and I never see him. Maybe it's just the run stuffing in the middle so it's not sexy or flashy just consistent.

Big T
12-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Timmons was ranked in the top 10 for MLB and was the steelers 2012 MVP. I didn't know this. I just don't see him doing anything to catch my attention. I'm always looking for him and I never see him. Maybe it's just the run stuffing in the middle so it's not sexy or flashy just consistent.

He led the team in sacks and picks last season (including a pick six against Cleveland and a game clinching INT in overtime vs KC).

Mike Tomlin
12-03-2013, 04:50 PM
You might not see him but you can damn sure hear him lol. That car crash you hear 1 to 2 seconds after the snap is usually him stuffing a guard or fullback lol.

Dean Denton
12-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah that's what I get from everyone's response to him.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Not an opinion lol

Honestly though, dude is a top 10 MLB for sure.

yea, top 10 for sure... and borderline top 5 is a fair debate

Willis and Kuechly are the top 2 inside guys IMO... non negotiable...
the next tier: D.Johnson, Timmons, Wagner, Daryl Washington, Bowman, Lee

I also think Laurinaitis is underrated... and I'd probably throw Kiko in their for a top 10 spot, just for my shear love of his game (undeserved at this point... i know)

Big T
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
yea, top 10 for sure... and borderline top 5 is a fair debate

Willis and Kuechly are the top 2 inside guys IMO... non negotiable...
the next tier: D.Johnson, Timmons, Wagner, Daryl Washington, Bowman, Lee

I also think Laurinaitis is underrated... and I'd probably throw Kiko in their for a top 10 spot, just for my shear love of his game (undeserved at this point... i know)

Completely agree. Alonzo has been a surprise for me. Dude was all around the ball at Oregon but I honestly didn't think he'd make this big of an impact this early in his career. He's been playing some fantastic football.