PDA

View Full Version : You think we can keep Sanders after this season?

steelchamp204
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't think the market will offer him big money whatsoever. He doesn't bring the WOW factor but he is still a decent #3 WR if Wheaton can take over the #2 by seasons end. I would be on board with signing him to $3.5 mill a season for 3 years.

I think he can get better with more starting time. I know a few posters in here want Sammy Watkins in the draft, not sure if he will fall that low(guessing that we will pick around 12). I am huge on Jordan Mathews, but I dont think this receiving core is that bad if Ben calls the plays and gets everyone involved. It will also depend on who is OC next season as I do believe Haley will not be back.

If we don't go WR in the first, which I dont think we will do. Does that mean Moye will get more playing time once next season starts? If so, will the group look like this.

1. Brown
2. Wheaton
3. Cotch(If resigned)
4. Moye
5. ******

If that's the case, you would almost have to resign Sanders, but not overpay.

questforSB7
11-18-2013, 02:07 PM
I doubt it. I suspect that Wheaton will get more playing time in the final 6 weeks. And IF the passing game remains the same, or Improves, then why re-sign Sanders ?....at any price ? They have to reduce salary. Plus, even though it might not be so early, I think the steelers might address a bigger WR in the draft. But then again, if Moye is someone they believe in...maybe not. But either way, I doubt he is re-signed.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Nope don't want Sanders back at all and this is coming from a person that thought he was going to be the best of the YMC......Sanders is soft, gets poor separation, and really is average at best........Time to move on.......

The offense still needs a bigger/physical WR and an athletic play-making TE......I'm all for getting the QB the best weapons to really make the offense special.......

steelchamp204
11-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Nope don't want Sanders back at all and this is coming from a person that thought he was going to be the best of the YMC......Sanders is soft, gets poor separation, and really is average at best........Time to move on.......

The offense still needs a bigger/physical WR and an athletic play-making TE......I'm all for getting the QB the best weapons to really make the offense special.......

Makes me think of...............Ok I won't go there. I would be all about drafting a TE in the first to be honest. Jace Amaro would be the only one I would draft in the 1st though. Jenkins yes, but not that early

Dean Denton
11-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe we could trade for Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. At their age I don't see it costing us that much and either one of them would be great in the red zone. They are both unhappy where they are and want a change at this point in their careers. I would love to see it. I also agree with champ204, we need a TE...

steelchamp204
11-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Maybe we could trade for Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. At their age I don't see it costing us that much and either one of them would be great in the red zone. They are both unhappy where they are and want a change at this point in their careers. I would love to see it. I also agree with champ204, we need a TE...

I dont see Fitz going anywhere. The Cards are playing good right now and have a shot to get into the playoffs to be honest.

questforSB7
11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I dont see Fitz going anywhere. The Cards are playing good right now and have a shot to get into the playoffs to be honest.

I agree with what you're saying. PLus...Fitz is a pretty high Character guy with alot of Honor and Loyalty. He will never pull a TO or a Chad Johnson thing. However with that said, if after his deal is up, and he thinks he only has a couple of years left...I can see him maybe...wanting to see if he could sign on in Pittsburgh....to play a couple of seasons with his Home town team that he grew up cheering for.

coldrolled
11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Makes me think of...............Ok I won't go there. I would be all about drafting a TE in the first to be honest. Jace Amaro would be the only one I would draft in the 1st though. Jenkins yes, but not that early

Do you mean it would be nice to have TE at TE

Dean Denton
11-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I agree with what you're saying. PLus...Fitz is a pretty high Character guy with alot of Honor and Loyalty. He will never pull a TO or a Chad Johnson thing. However with that said, if after his deal is up, and he thinks he only has a couple of years left...I can see him maybe...wanting to see if he could sign on in Pittsburgh....to play a couple of seasons with his Home town team that he grew up cheering for.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. They are winning, but even he knows they aren't going anywhere behind the limp arm of Carson Palmer. Doubt he's even the QB next year. They would be the #1 team to go after Ben, so I'd like to beat them to the punch and bring Fitz here.

Nolrog
11-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Can we keep him? Sure. Will we? Doubtful.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-18-2013, 07:19 PM

There is this thing called a salary cap

Dean Denton
11-18-2013, 08:13 PM
There is this thing called a salary cap

Yeah I know. I'm basing this on the thought that Brett, Clark, Ike and a few others will be let go to make room on the cap. If we had the cap space now I doubt we let Wallace go without at least coming close to what he was asking.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah I know. I'm basing this on the thought that Brett, Clark, Ike and a few others will be let go to make room on the cap. If we had the cap space now I doubt we let Wallace go without at least coming close to what he was asking.

we are over next years cap already, and that's with only 37 players under contract (clark and brett are not under contract next year)

there is no way we have room to add the type of players you are talking about... we are going to need to cut guys like Ike and/or Troy or both... just to get the cap space to sign enough players to fill out the roster...

coldrolled
11-18-2013, 08:42 PM
obviously with salaries hitting 10mil a year for good vets... a 125mil cap and 53 players is stupid.

plus the fact that the elite qb is 15-20mil a year added in there.

if it stays like this, the scouts really need to be the best in the market.

Clevelandsux
11-18-2013, 08:45 PM
IM not a big fan of sanders. I think he is very replaceable. Has poor hands. I wouldn't mortgage the future on him. I like Cotchery better.

steelchamp204
11-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Do you mean it would be nice to have TE at TE

hahahaha, yes. I think Heath can still be the guy, but he seems to have lost a step. Amaro would be a beast in our system I believe even though they play him a ton in the slot at TT. When he blocks, he is a very good blocker also. Big frame and could be that big target for Ben also in the redzone. He isnt afraid to work the middle either. The if we decide to keep Ike for another season, I would be all for Jordan Mathews or Allen Robinson in the 2nd round. Then Ben would have a very good offense, weapon wise. I dont think Oline is a necessity in this draft.

In the 3rd. TAKE DRI ARCHER. The kid can be such a weapon on ST and special situation downs like Mewelde Moore was, but way more explosive.

Clevelandsux
11-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I think we draft more secondary help. Ike is not that special. Johnson embarrassed him yesterday. Taylor is not a play maker. Can't catch. Plus he's in his 10th year. Not worth the money the steelers are paying him.

steelchamp204
11-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I think we draft more secondary help. Ike is not that special. Johnson embarrassed him yesterday. Taylor is not a play maker. Can't catch. Plus he's in his 10th year. Not worth the money the steelers are paying him.

I am still a huge fan of taking Fuller/Roby in the 2nd. I just dont think I would be dissapointed if we went offense first 3 rounds either. I think with the emergence of Heyward, it will help out the rest of the dline as well and we can hold off drafting a NT for another season. I just dont think WR is the way to go in the 1st round is all. I think we have more depth at WR than we do TE which is why I am all about Amaro in the 1st round.

Now if we would have went Eifert last season we could have went

1. Barr
2. Mathews/Robinson in this seasons draft. But that is done and over with.

I think Fuller fits our system well. He can play zone and up close.

Dean Denton
11-18-2013, 10:05 PM
As much as I get the reasons for a salary cap, I think they do it wrong. They need to have a cap on positions. Then you're not forced to waste so much on one player (QB) and have more to distribute to the rest of the team. Ultimately creating more parody league wide because you won't have such an epic drop off when forced to let go of so many players. My method would work with the right minds behind it. Maybe I'm not explaining it the right way. But you can't argue with my genius.

jdehoff83
11-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Ive always thought brown was the best all around receiver out of ymc...the tds weren't there but he usually makes catches when needed....usually

Nolrog
11-19-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't think the market will offer him big money whatsoever. He doesn't bring the WOW factor but he is still a decent #3 WR if Wheaton can take over the #2 by seasons end. I would be on board with signing him to $3.5 mill a season for 3 years.

There's always that one stupid team out there that has extra money and will over pay. Look at Wallace.

steelchamp204
11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
There's always that one stupid team out there that has extra money and will over pay. Look at Wallace.

I believe he will be a Colt/Cardinal or Jaguar

Goodfrom55
11-19-2013, 08:48 PM
IMO, Cotchery's emergence makes Sanders expendable. I admit, I was all for matching NE's offer for him with the understanding that the Steelers would ink to a long term or multi-year deal. Doesn't look like that is going to happen now. Like some of you have said, he doesn't command break the bank contract, no matter what his agent says. Would be interested in seeing how Wheaton performs throughout the rest of the season. That and Cotchery's emergence will determine Sanders' future with the Steelers.

Sidenote: Regarding shedding contracts, you can't get rid of both Troy and Clark in the same offseason. Clark is gone, Troy will have one more year, Shamarko will play the FS in 2014.

questforSB7
11-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Let me say I LOVE Cotchery. And I truly WISH Antonio Brown could learn, and conduct himself as professional as Cotchery does.
But the bottom line is, we MAY end up losing TWO WR's after this season. Sanders, who I KNOW along with his agent will be like Mercenaries, and take the highest offer they can get. Now Cotchery was brought back this year on a 1 year deal. His 2012 season was not great...17 total catches and ZERO TD's. Which is why he likely did not get any other offers from teams this past off season, even though as I said he IS a truly GREAT High Character TEAM player.

But this season...Cotchery already has DOUBLED his catches in 10 games with 34. Has over 500 yards, and has 7 TD's so far. And the problem is, when training camp comes around in 2014, Cotchery will be 32....and depending on how our season, and our team FUTURE looks like, Cotchery just may decide to take another teams offer, even if it is SLIGHTLY less then whatever the Steelers may offer him...and it WON'T be much cause the Steelers are strapped Cap wise as it is. So, if another Vet team that IS a Championship contending like team offers Cotchery say 1.2 million...and the Steelers can offer only 1.5 million....it is very possible that Cotchery could take that little LESS money to maybe go to a team like say KC....or Indy...or whoever.

And the problem is with D.Moye is still...we don't know WHAT he can do. He has very little field time, and only 2 catches. So even though I do NOT feel that drafting a WR in round 1 is smart considering our O-Line issues, and other more pressing issues...we very well may need to draft a WR in round 2, or 3, AND bring in a Vet WR who has played in the league to take Cotchery's place. Now I truly HOPE that doesn't happen. I WANT Cotchery to stay around next season IF Sanders does Indeed leave..( And he likely will )...cause if BOTH of them leave...and we bring back that total STIFF of a WR that IS Plexico Burress....we WILL be totally screwed.!!

NeilPatrickBanana
11-19-2013, 10:10 PM
As much as I get the reasons for a salary cap, I think they do it wrong. They need to have a cap on positions. Then you're not forced to waste so much on one player (QB) and have more to distribute to the rest of the team. Ultimately creating more parody league wide because you won't have such an epic drop off when forced to let go of so many players. My method would work with the right minds behind it. Maybe I'm not explaining it the right way. But you can't argue with my genius.

that's a terrible idea... apparently you are blind to the unintended consequences

Dean Denton
11-19-2013, 10:27 PM
that's a terrible idea... apparently you are blind to the unintended consequences

And what would those be? I fail to see where not giving one player 100 million dollars hurts a team.