PDA

View Full Version : Mike Martz and Lovie Smith

Dean Denton
11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
What are your guys' thoughts on Martz and Smith coming in next year to take over as coordinators? Would Ben be happy with the way Martz like to go down the field. Lovie always put a good def out in Chicago and I felt should have kept is job. If not, who do you guys see as replacement coordinators?

SnakeEyes43
11-05-2013, 07:44 PM
That would be pretty sweet, but it won't happen. Butler is a shoe-in for the d-coordinator when LeBeau retires, that's why he didn't leave a few years ago.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-05-2013, 07:45 PM
What are your guys' thoughts on Martz and Smith coming in next year to take over as coordinators? Would Ben be happy with the way Martz like to go down the field. Lovie always put a good def out in Chicago and I felt should have kept is job. If not, who do you guys see as replacement coordinators?

Hell no to martz

Lovie will be the head coach in Tampa next year (if not Tampa, somewhere else)

NeilPatrickBanana
11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
As far as choices... If the staff in Tampa gets let go, I'd love to go after sullivan for OC. That's who I wanted when we let Arians go.

He was a QB coach under Gilbride in NY (cue NYC conspiracy theory).

Dean Denton
11-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Why is Butler being put in? And are we sure about that? Wouldn't he be running the same dead pan system with talent we don't have? And is this another Rooney call or is our vaunted head coach calling this? Anyone know if this is likely to happen?

Dean Denton
11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
As far as choices... If the staff in Tampa gets let go, I'd love to go after sullivan for OC. That's who I wanted when we let Arians go.

He was a QB coach under Gilbride in NY (cue NYC conspiracy theory). Would Ben be happy with this and do we need to add talent at WR? I know we would under a Martz system.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Would Ben be happy with this and do we need to add talent at WR? I know we would under a Martz system.

I don't know what Ben will be happy with
I think we should be looking to add talent at WR regardless of any OC change or not

Dean Denton
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't know what Ben will be happy with
I think we should be looking to add talent at WR regardless of any OC change or not
Any thoughts on my question regarding butler? I'm confused as to why him? If that's the case.

SnakeEyes43
11-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Any thoughts on my question regarding butler? I'm confused as to why him? If that's the case.

No, it's not a sure thing. I just remember hearing about it on ESPN when he was offered the d-cord job for another team and he turned it down. There was talk (gossip) that he turned it down because he was most likely told that he would get the Steeler d-cord job when DL retires. It makes sense based on this organization, but is just a rumor at the moment.

Dean Denton
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
You know what gets me? Tomlin has worked with some of the best defensive minds in the league and you would think at this point he would have some inkling as to what it takes, what is missing (needed) to make this work. Yet we just had our worst defensive showing in 82 years....

TarlsQtr
11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
You know what gets me? Tomlin has worked with some of the best defensive minds in the league and you would think at this point he would have some inkling as to what it takes, what is missing (needed) to make this work. Yet we just had our worst defensive showing in 82 years....

It is one game. Things happen. You are never as bad as your worst game or as good as your best. That said, the D is a middle of the pack defense at best even if we discount the debacle in Beantown. I think it has a lot more to do with lack of talent, aging players, etc. than Tomlin or even DLB. Personally, I think Tomlin has little input in the gameplan. It is DLB's.

If Butler will come in and change some things, I am fine with him. I do not think the scheme is necessarily flawed (although some may disagree with the definition of the word scheme) but the playcalling has been going downhill for years. Other 3-4 teams have stayed "fresh" by being more covert at the line of scrimmage, no one with their hands on the ground, etc. More press coverage, overall more aggressive.

If he is only going to call the same DLB blitzes we have been running for a decade, move on.

Maybe Ryan will get fired from the Jets. I hate his guts and would want to puke every time I saw or heard him, but we would surely give us an aggressive D again. It will never happen though.

K Train
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I think Ben would hate martzs offense. The only guy I liked over Haley was tom Clements, I still think Haley is capable of putting together a good offense I'm just not confident all the pieces are there yet

NeilPatrickBanana
11-05-2013, 08:48 PM

he was the head coach of the #1 defense 4 times, a top 3 defense 5 times, and a top 5 defense 6 time... and now he's a moron?

way too reactionary...

look, i know there are problems... i do believe the scheme is outdated while also lacking the talent to run it properly...

but this board is way to reactionary, and more interested in placing blame, than addressing the issues....

hopefully, the organization is interested in addressing the issues.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-05-2013, 08:50 PM
It is one game. Things happen. You are never as bad as your worst game or as good as your best. That said, the D is a middle of the pack defense at best even if we discount the debacle in Beantown. I think it has a lot more to do with lack of talent, aging players, etc. than Tomlin or even DLB. Personally, I think Tomlin has little input in the gameplan. It is DLB's.

If Butler will come in and change some things, I am fine with him. I do not think the scheme is necessarily flawed (although some may disagree with the definition of the word scheme) but the playcalling has been going downhill for years. Other 3-4 teams have stayed "fresh" by being more covert at the line of scrimmage, no one with their hands on the ground, etc. More press coverage, overall more aggressive.

If he is only going to call the same DLB blitzes we have been running for a decade, move on.

Maybe Ryan will get fired from the Jets. I hate his guts and would want to puke every time I saw or heard him, but we would surely give us an aggressive D again. It will never happen though.

scheme is the larger problem...

talent is the present problem...

K Train
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I think butler would be an exciting change. Not like Ray Horton did nothing when he left. They think they have something with butler and I think there's something to it

TarlsQtr
11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
I would love to see one of those college head coaches or coordinators come in with a spread offense, (McKinney at A&M, Briles at Baylor) but that would probably get Ben killed and even the thought would give the Rooneys concurrent heart attacks. ;-)

TarlsQtr
11-05-2013, 09:03 PM
scheme is the larger problem...

talent is the present problem...

LOL I knew that I, uh, I mean you, were going to say that...

Goodfrom55
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
On offense, it's scheme not personnel (left tackle notwithstanding)
On Defense, it's personnel, not scheme. . .as much. But it is getting old and predictable.

That said, Butler is the heir apparent when the time comes, and on offense, staying in house, Kirby Wilson will be the new OC.
I zero source on this, but to know the Steelers like to promote from within as much as pocssible as their history would dictate (except for Tomlin over Whiz).

NeilPatrickBanana
11-05-2013, 09:17 PM
LOL I knew that I, uh, I mean you, were going to say that...

get out of my head!

Dean Denton
11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
If any of this is true then why not make those changes now? The season is lost and it would only benefit the players to make the changes now to give them a better chance next year. I don't think they are pooling from within, no one is that hard headed to sit here a continue with what's going on every Sunday. Unless Tomlin's job is in danger. Yeah the top brass love Dick but not more than they love making money or winning games. This is gonna be three years without a home playoff game so I doubt any of these in-house swaps are happening.

DanRooney
11-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Why is Butler being put in? And are we sure about that? Wouldn't he be running the same dead pan system with talent we don't have? And is this another Rooney call or is our vaunted head coach calling this? Anyone know if this is likely to happen?

Our LBers really stink. Whatever they're being taught by Butler is awful.

Dean Denton
11-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Our LBers really stink. Whatever they're being taught by Butler is awful.just because you are good with one part of a def doesn't mean you can run all of them. Singeltary was great with LB, great at picking talent and failed as a head coach. Lebeau stunk as a HC too. I'm only asking because how will we know what we have in Tomlin if we keep letting the Rooneys pick his coaching staff? I would hate that. It's like asking someone to baby sit but you don't leave the house.

SnakeEyes43
11-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Our LBers really stink. Whatever they're being taught by Butler is awful.

It's the same guy that coached Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, Foote, and Timmons...was that group awful?

Right now, it's coming down to talent. 95 is raw and still learning. 98 is a sixth-round pick rookie. 93 has no business starting.

Real Deal Steel
11-06-2013, 10:19 AM
We got 55 hung on us. I just can't get over that.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-06-2013, 10:30 AM

This just lets u know that Tomlin doesn't make the decisions on who is his staff, players etc are, the Rooneys do, plain and simple, this off season will be interesting to say the least, Ben cannot work with Martz because Martz yells at you when u mess up, and that would devastate Ben (SMH) I would love to have Lovie Smith work with this Defense, but they probably will promote Butler on Defense and Kirby Wilson on Offense, Until we get rid of Cowards people and schemes this is what we are going to witness year after year...

steelspikes
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I wrote a long post/article at end of Arians' era, lobbying for a look at Martz. But he announced his retirement in Jan. 2012. Don't know what Smith's current status is. Hoped for offensive rennaisance under Haley clearly has not happened. Here is link: http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php/34159-STEELERS-NEED-TO-LOOK-AT-MIKE-MARTZ

Dean Denton
11-06-2013, 04:06 PM
This just lets u know that Tomlin doesn't make the decisions on who is his staff, players etc are, the Rooneys do, plain and simple, this off season will be interesting to say the least, Ben cannot work with Martz because Martz yells at you when u mess up, and that would devastate Ben (SMH) I would love to have Lovie Smith work with this Defense, but they probably will promote Butler on Defense and Kirby Wilson on Offense, Until we get rid of Cowards people and schemes this is what we are going to witness year after year...
So if Kirby and butler take over and this is against what Tomlin wants then I'm going to back off calling him a bad coach or a coach that is in over his head. If your not allowed to to the job in a way that you think plays to your strength as a coach then I don't see how you will ever succeed. Or at least be given a chance to succeed. That's too bad. But if he wants those coaches the great. But I doubt he does.