PDA

View Full Version : Chance Duce doesnt make team?

PITT23
08-19-2006, 08:30 PM
If he's not going to be healthy all the time and he isn't as good as Verron Haynes then is there a point in keeping him? We could work guys like Cedric Humes into the 3rd spot. It seems like a way to save money and open up a roster spot.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2006, 08:45 PM
No chance he won't make the team, IMO. He'll be there. Cowher is anxious to see him play and we'll need him. I agree he needs to stay healthy but the team has invested too money in him to not give him every chance they can especially now that the BUS is retired.

Haynes and Humes will do well but Duce needs to be there as well, if for nothing else than experience and depth.

blackNgold22
08-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know what his contract looks like? How many years are left? I dont think theyre going to resign him when the contract is over but this year he'll be there.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Well Haynes has had some nagging injury issues int he past as well. Plus he never really has had a big role before. So that is for some concern as well.
I would be shocked if Duce didn't make the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I'll tell you what.... in this game so far, Haynes is running harder, stronger, and putting more heart into his game than Duce is..

Interesting...

Blitzburgh55
08-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Of cousre he is gonna make the team but he aint that good

Koopa
08-20-2006, 12:10 AM
duce ain't that good??? wtf??? he's a good player, just a china doll

Prosdo
08-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Can't say I was impressed with Duce at all. Verron was looking good and I think he beats Duce out for the short yardage job. But I'm sure Duce will still be on the roster.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2006, 01:16 AM
I say we trade Morgan and a draft pick for TJ Duckett. Oh Duce doesn't look to good so far. I'm not all the way sold on Haynes just yet. He does very well as the third down back. But still have some doubts with him having a bigger role.

Prosdo
08-20-2006, 01:19 AM
The runningback position is concerning me. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to dealing Quincy away since we have a strong WR core, but I'm not sure the Falcons would go for it. Although, they do seem like they really want to get rid of him.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2006, 01:23 AM
The runningback position is concerning me. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to dealing Quincy away since we have a strong WR core, but I'm not sure the Falcons would go for it. Although, they do seem like they really want to get rid of him.

Well the Falcon's WR's are nothing to brag about. Thats why I think they could interested in a WR position. But the fact of the matter is. The Falcons are probally just waiting until teams cut player and will make a move then.

The good thing its only pre-season. So its early and who knows Duce might have something left.

Prosdo
08-20-2006, 01:24 AM
I sure hope so because I think all of Steeler Nation's patience is getting thin with him.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2006, 01:27 AM
I sure hope so because I think all of Steeler Nation's patience is getting thin with him.'

Trust me I can't blame the Nation if they think that. Just remember how our entire starting offense looked last pre-season. They were horrible. Look how the season ended. The main thing our man Ben looks good and Willie Parker will be the starting RB. So no worries just yet for me.

Koopa
08-20-2006, 02:20 AM
i wouldn't mind having duckett on the team. him and willie would be badass together. but i'm not to worried about duce. there's no gameplanning so the line isn't all that good right now. so i'll panic with him around week 3 if he's still playing like a bum

Prosdo
08-20-2006, 03:16 AM
I say we trade Morgan and a draft pick for TJ Duckett. Oh Duce doesn't look to good so far. I'm not all the way sold on Haynes just yet. He does very well as the third down back. But still have some doubts with him having a bigger role.

According to KFFL.com they are still shopping him.

Falcons | Duckett for McCareins deal?
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:42:41 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports at least four teams have called the Atlanta Falcons seeking to trade for RB T.J. Duckett, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The two sources confirmed that the New York Jets have contacted the Falcons, with recently demoted WR Justin McCareins possibly being involved in the potential trade. The Falcons are looking for a No. 3 wide receiver, but have not confirmed any trade talks.

http://www.kffl.com/player/100/NFL

Stairwayto7
08-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Duce still owes us something for all the money he has stolen from the Rooneys!

Steelx
08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I am not really sure on his contract since they restrucured it in March of 06 but I know the prior 2 seasons he was not making a huge amount of money I think it was around 600K with a few huge signing bonus's. I used to have this link to all players contracts but that link is broken. The ideal thing in my eyes is keeping Staley and hoping he doesnt get injured and use him if some one else goes down. Let Haynes be the "Bettis" of this year and use Staley if something happens to Haynes or Parker.

PITT23
08-20-2006, 12:59 PM
A trade woth the Falcons would work because they just had a WR get hurt and out for the season but I've hard Duckett is all but traded to the Jets. Looking at it now he'll make the team but his role might be much less than what we originally thought with Haynes doing what we though Staley would.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2006, 01:29 PM
i wouldn't mind having duckett on the team. him and willie would be badass together. but i'm not to worried about duce. there's no gameplanning so the line isn't all that good right now. so i'll panic with him around week 3 if he's still playing like a bum

Very good point Koop, its still early so no real worries yet. But the thing that has me concerned on how slow Duce is right now. Duce is 31 now and thats the age you never know with RB's when their skills might start to decline.

PITT23
08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
New news in the Duckett situation...the Jets just traded for Kevan Barlow and so they may not need Tj which opens him up to us. I think we could easily get him for one of our 3rd or 4th WR's.

Prosdo
08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
I agree Pitt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I would love to see Duckett in the black and gold.

PITT23
08-20-2006, 08:06 PM
My friend is a Michigan state fan and when he was telling me about Duckett about 3-4 years ago he compared him to Jerome so maybe it's meant to be...

:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
I remember how prominent the TJ Duckett talk was around draft time and everybody had him pegged as the next big draft day trade for us. You know know, depends on how we fair in the coming weeks with the running game and injuries.

Forged in Steel
08-21-2006, 12:41 AM
I agree with PITT23. I began questioning Staley last year because he's is almost always hurt. I don't know how much he's making but they should consider cutting him soon.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
His original contract was 4 years at 14 million or so wasnt it? He got about a 4 million dollar signing bonus as I remember but don't quote me on it. His contract was/is pretty cap friendly.

Forged in Steel
08-21-2006, 12:50 AM
That's not so bad but Bettis last year was making the minimum NFL wage which is I believe is $1 million and he actually played some games and was good.

Steelerlyn
08-21-2006, 04:27 PM
i do not think he will be on our final roster. How can anyone justify him standing on the sidelines and his inability to stay healthy, he is a very fragile person............we don't need that.

AZ_Steeler
08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
I think Duce deserves at least one more year mainly becuase he put his ego on hold out of respect for the Bus. It's not to often nowadays that you see someone have so much respect for another athlete that they step aside and swallow their pride. I really feel Duce will come around and be a reliable goal line back. He probably can't come close to filling the shoes of the Bus but the Nation needs to let him try... IMO

Steelersfan
08-22-2006, 01:14 AM
I think Duce deserves at least one more year mainly becuase he put his ego on hold out of respect for the Bus. It's not to often nowadays that you see someone have so much respect for another athlete that they step aside and swallow their pride. I really feel Duce will come around and be a reliable goal line back. He probably can't come close to filling the shoes of the Bus but the Nation needs to let him try... IMO

I agree with AZ. Duce has been hurt but not nearly as much as what people think. He was inactive for most of the games last year. That's not being injured. He stepped aside for Jerome to pave the way to a SB. But when we needed him (@ GB) he stepped up and helped win the game. That's a team player and someone I hope is on my team.
:tt02:

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Well, if this report is true then Duce's days in Pittsburgh could be numbered.

Steelers | Team looking to move Staley?
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:47:36 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports one NFL general manager said the Pittsburgh Steelers have been shopping RB Duce Staley, trying to see if any team would be willing to trade for him before the team would have to release him. Pittsburgh's depth at the position makes it possible for it to deal Staley.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this story. Is the organization not happy with Duce? Is soemone else on the roster catching their eye? Do they want someone bigger? This brings up all kinds of questions... I still stand by Duce and what I said earlier this latest report though really has me thinking now.

PS: I'm going to go get my arcade on now!!!! :D

PITT23
08-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow thats really suprising...there it is right in words. I dont know what kind of trade material he is. Maybe a mid-late draft pick?

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
I am not really sure on his contract since they restrucured it in March of 06 but I know the prior 2 seasons he was not making a huge amount of money I think it was around 600K with a few huge signing bonus's. I used to have this link to all players contracts but that link is broken. The ideal thing in my eyes is keeping Staley and hoping he doesnt get injured and use him if some one else goes down. Let Haynes be the "Bettis" of this year and use Staley if something happens to Haynes or Parker.

Here is the latest info on Duces contract: http://www.geocities.com/steelersalarycap/DuceStaley.htm It's actually a pretty good site too.

PITT23
08-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Wow, these trade talks involving Duce have become serious. FSN said they are really shopping him around before they release him as AZ_Steeler mentioned in his post.

PITT23
08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
And all TJ Duckett talk can be put to rest as seen here:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4247#post4247

Steelersfan
08-23-2006, 01:50 AM
If the Steelers release Duce I'd say it has more to do with cap issues than his play. He is still a good back and is the only veteran RB we really have. I'd hate to see him go this year. I would expect him to be gone next year though.

Prosdo
08-23-2006, 02:10 AM
And all TJ Duckett talk can be put to rest as seen here:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4247#post4247

Darnit! I was hoping he would come the the Burgh.

AZ_Steeler
08-23-2006, 02:13 AM
With all that has transpired this evening and what the Steelers are doing with Duce... it's sad to say but I think his days are now numbered wearing the Blask & Gold :(

Prosdo
08-23-2006, 02:23 AM
I loved when we brought Duce here. But the situation with him has to be frustrating the coaching staff and FO. Watching him play against the Vikings to me he just didn't look determined.

Steelersfan
08-23-2006, 02:30 AM
A lot of backs do that during the preseason though. Portis didn't even want to play and now we'll all have to hear them cry about preseason games.
Duce has ran well and done a great job for us when he has played. He got hurt about midway his first year with us and was on pace for close to 1500yds if I remember right. He should be fresh and ready to go after sitting most of last year.
Now if he has that "I don't care" attitude then I do hope they get rid of him. But I just don't think that is the case.

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I do not like this potential move at all. I like the depth we have.

Steelerlyn
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
I also like a deep bench but I have to question Staley's "fragility" (is that a word) :lol:

PITT23
08-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I've heard a few times now that we might be trying to get Eric Shelton (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/420750). He's a huge dude who will cost less than Duce but he really hasnt played at all. Maybe the Steelers now something about him?

PITT23
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
I also just heard something about Ron Dayne (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187386) over there in Denver. He's a big dude as well (and I think he won the Heisman is college too).

I dont think Matt Kuhn is going to get it done and I've found Cedris Humes problem...he runs straight up and down like a tree and he's such an easy target to bring down. One reason Bettis was so good was that he was small to begin with and then he really ran low.