PDA

View Full Version : Giants release Arrington and 2 others.....

DIESELMAN
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (Feb. 12, 2007) -- The New York Giants released linebacker LaVar Arrington and two other starters in the first major shake-up under new general manager Jerry Reese.

New York also cut linebacker Carlos Emmons and offensive tackle Luke Petitgout, both of whom were slowed by injuries over the last two seasons.

The release of Arrington ended a brief and unsatisfying tenure with the Giants for the former Pro Bowler, who was signed last year to a seven-year deal but suffered an Achilles injury against Dallas on Oct. 23 and played in only six games.

"LaVar's situation is unfortunate because he was just starting to really become a factor in our defense at the time of his injury," Reese said.

Reese, who replaced the retired Ernie Accorsi, served notice that he will not stand pat with a team that won the NFC East in 2005 but was humiliated in a first-round playoff loss to Carolina, then scraped into the playoffs last season with an 8-8 record and again lost in the first round.

"These are difficult decisions," Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said. "But as Jerry and I looked at the roster, they are decisions we felt we had to make as we start to compose our team for the upcoming season."

Petitgout started 106 games at tackle and guard over eight seasons for the Giants. He broke his leg against Chicago on Nov. 12 and missed the Giants' final seven games.

Emmons, acquired from Philadelphia in 2004, played in 36 games in three seasons but missed a total of 11 games in the last two seasons with a pectoral injury.

Achilles injuries are rough to come back from.....damn 7 year deal out the window.:scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I remember going to Beaver stadium and watching Arrington play, the guy was just unstoppable but since he's come into the league and had all his problems in Washington he just hasn't been the same.

AZ_Steeler
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Arrington was a monster in college but never could really bring that same mentality that he had in college to the pros. I'm not sure if it was the system he was in, injuries but it's a shame because he was awesome! He'll never be the same now though but hopefully he get one last shot in a system that really works for him!

Ambridge
02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
It's kind of amusing that on the same day Tiki Barber files for his retirement the Giants get rid of some dead weight on their roster.

I'm surprised they let Luke Petigout go.

BB2W
02-12-2007, 08:07 PM
I remember going to Beaver stadium and watching Arrington play, the guy was just unstoppable but since he's come into the league and had all his problems in Washington he just hasn't been the same.
When LaVar left Penn State... I thought he would become the best linebacker to ever play in the NFL.

Iron City South
02-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Worth a look? ...

Arington in Black & Gold might be a nice homecoming for the guy and a great way to ressurect his career. The price would have to be right ....

Koopa
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
no, he's a me me type player, he will not play within a system, and he's to damn injury prone, not even worth a vet minimum lol

K Train
02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
i'd give him a shot, hes a good player, he strays a bit but he makes played, hes no anthony spencer but i'd give him a shot.....he really has to get over the huge payday thing though because thats done

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Ya just never know about these "sure thing" players like Arrington. He'll probably get signed by somebody if he wants to...

Petigout he came out with alot of fanfare also...

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
No to Lavar! He is not a team player! Been dumped on 2 teams and loves talking to reporters when he's unhappy. Me player who doesn't fit the blue collar team player that the Rooney's and Tomlin like. Take a pass on Lavar!

:thumbdown1: