PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin bans end-zone somersaults

SuperSteelers
10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
After winning their first game, Tomlin said Tuesday he is making sure his Steelers do not enjoy it in one sense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/mike-tomlin-bans-end-zone-somersaults-latest-fun-175809221--nfl.html

Speeed
10-16-2013, 07:54 AM
No ping pong, somersaults.....what is next, no wedgies or wet willies?! That will crush morale! Prepare to be Assimilated Steelers . . .

coldrolled
10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Remove the ghetto antics and play better football.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-16-2013, 09:27 AM

I cant think of anything less ghetto than a summersault

TarlsQtr
10-16-2013, 10:08 AM

lol Fair enough, but I think he was talking about the "Look at me" stuff in general.

I hate that stuff too but I also understand that I am an anachronism. My grandfather was the biggest sports influence in my life. He used up all of his high school eligibility in football from 7-10th grade, played college ball at Cornell (they were good then), was even asked to try out for the Bears but had to go home to support the rest of the family after his dad left during the depression. He was a QB, although they were glorified running backs. My point is that he never glorified his accomplishments even 60 years later. It was always a "team" effort. He always talked about the line, the RB's, and what THEY did to help him be successful. It is a new world and I get that but I still miss the humility of him and his football friends who I was blessed to meet.

I am not a huge Ben fanboy (I think he is a top 10 QB but not in the same class as Peyton, Brees, Brady, etc.) and he is somewhat of a self-promoter in some ways but I'll be damned if I do not respect the way he always gives a kind word about the OL when I know he wants to take a baseball bat to their beer can heads.

Unfortunately, even the Jerry Rices and Barry Sanders of the world from my generation are long gone. Again, we live in a different world...

coldrolled
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Yeah... the look at me stuff.... set the ball down and walk back to the huddle. were 1-4

didn't Troy dive for no reason in a cinci game a few years back, and after that stunt he was nursing his knee for two years... and that dive was after the heap injury started it... he was healthier... then he did the flying dive thing and hurt it again... he wasn't the same for a few years.

Rocky#20
10-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I think Tomlin's major concern about summersaulting is that it could lead to an injury. When Bell did his against the Vikings, this was someone who was just playing his first game after sitting out with an injury. Sanders has also been injury prone early in his career and he landed with a thud on his summersault. I think it was Trey Wingo yesterday on ESPN that said if you can't land on your feet, then don't do a flip or summersault.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah... the look at me stuff.... set the ball down and walk back to the huddle. were 1-4

didn't Troy dive for no reason in a cinci game a few years back, and after that stunt he was nursing his knee for two years... and that dive was after the heap injury started it... he was healthier... then he did the flying dive thing and hurt it again... he wasn't the same for a few years.

epic speculation

ChucktownSteeler
10-16-2013, 12:10 PM
I agree with ending the hot dog antics. Number one you are 1-4. Secondly, always a chance of a needless injury (i.e. see Gramatica). Third, show some class and act like you have been there before.

I think a Georgia WR is out for the year by blowing a knee celebrating in week 1 against Clemson.

If you somersault your way into the endzone and fumble out the back of it, the TD becomes a touch-back for the other team (i.e., see Leon Lett, SB hot-dogging).

SuperSteelers
10-16-2013, 12:10 PM
lol Fair enough, but I think he was talking about the "Look at me" stuff in general.

I hate that stuff too but I also understand that I am an anachronism. My grandfather was the biggest sports influence in my life. He used up all of his high school eligibility in football from 7-10th grade, played college ball at Cornell (they were good then), was even asked to try out for the Bears but had to go home to support the rest of the family after his dad left during the depression. He was a QB, although they were glorified running backs. My point is that he never glorified his accomplishments even 60 years later. It was always a "team" effort. He always talked about the line, the RB's, and what THEY did to help him be successful. It is a new world and I get that but I still miss the humility of him and his football friends who I was blessed to meet.

I am not a huge Ben fanboy (I think he is a top 10 QB but not in the same class as Peyton, Brees, Brady, etc.) and he is somewhat of a self-promoter in some ways but I'll be damned if I do not respect the way he always gives a kind word about the OL when I know he wants to take a baseball bat to their beer can heads.

Unfortunately, even the Jerry Rices and Barry Sanders of the world from my generation are long gone. Again, we live in a different world...

No disrespect, but your post basically screams "look at me."

Speeed
10-16-2013, 12:27 PM
This is one reason I like Miller so much. He would catch a game winning TD during overtime of the Super Bowl and trot back to the sidelines like he was playing fetch with his dog in the park on a Sunday afternoon. He is the epitome of sportsmanship.

Tango-9
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM

I'm not from a ghetto. I played football in Montana. I did a somersault when I scored. And exactly what "better football" is to be played other than scoring a touchdown, pray tell?

Keep that nonsense off the board. Irresponsible use of your brain.

TarlsQtr
10-16-2013, 01:44 PM
No disrespect, but your post basically screams "look at me."

Dude, reread it. There was almost nothing about me in the post. I played football and did not even mention it for that very reason.

The only point it made was that times changed. Gone are the times of my grandfather when it was a "team game" or even the era of Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders. THEY had something to brag about but did not while Emmanuel "6 Career TDs" Sanders is doing back flips. The AB/ES nonsense is here to stay. Not sure why you missed the obvious point.

tazzer151
10-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Who cares as long as there producing, if there celebrating there at least doing something write.

coldrolled
10-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm not from a ghetto. I played football in Montana. I did a somersault when I scored. And exactly what "better football" is to be played other than scoring a touchdown, pray tell?

Keep that nonsense off the board. Irresponsible use of your brain.

You mean keep the nonsense off the field... taunting a first down... were losing by 14 and were 1-4...

the crap goes on and on, tomlin slammed the door on the flips to save a knee... lucky the OL cant do them when we score on the goal line, we would lose a few more of them..

FlatsSteeler
10-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Who cares as long as there producing, if there celebrating there at least doing something write.
Pretty funny statement....."Who Cares?".......3 grammatical errors and 3 misspelled words in one sentence.......Then again who cares....A mind is a terrible thing to waste......lol......Relax, before you get your panties in a wad I am just busting your A$$......lol

Stone
10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I love it! The look at me **** is out of control but it is indicative of the direction the NFL is headed.

It's really the MFL (Me Football League) . From Roger Goodelll down to the last guy on the roster, 90% of the people in the MFL are about one thing......"themselves". The coaches are the only people employed by the MFL who are team oriented.

Roger Goodell is all about me! But he hides behind the image of the shield and the power of the owners.
The owners are all about me! But they hide behind the power of their money.
The players are all about me! And they look like the uneducated, spoiled, low intelligence, idiots they are.

They are all ruining the game we all love!