PDA

View Full Version : Clark calling out Ben to not extend plays

steelchamp204
10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/clark-big-ben-should-tone-things-down-706993/#ixzz2hL5vfIFx

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Veteran safety Ryan Clark did not back down from comments he made on ESPN on the Steelers' bye week that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has to "tone down" his game if the Steelers are going to be successful.
Clark said Roethlisberger has a tendency to improvise too much at times and that style might have something to do with the team's first 0-4 start since 1968.
"We have to tone Ben down in a sense and say, 'Hey, right now, we're not a good enough football team for you to try to extend plays, for us to take sacks, for us to have turnovers,' " Clark said on ESPN.
Clark was asked Wednesday to clarify his remarks.
"When asked a question about Ben, I said, we need to protect Ben," Clark said. "And, when I say that, [I mean] defense, we need to make plays so he doesn't feel like he has to do everything. Offensively, we need to protect him so he can get the ball out on his fifth step; receivers need to get open, running backs need to run the ball.

"But, in that as well, I feel like he needs to understand that, as constructed right now, we aren't playing well enough right now as a team to where we can take sacks and have turnovers. So, as a team, that's a team solution.
"But the quarterback has to spearhead it. He's our guy, he's our leader, he makes the plays, he's the reason we have two Super Bowl wins and been to three. We have to find ways to help him not feel like he has to do that."
When told of Clark's comments, Roethlisberger said he is not going to change his style.
"I didn't hear about [that]," Roethlisberger said. "It is what it is. I'm just going to play the game the way that I play it and try not to turn it over."
When asked if he appreciated a teammate commenting on his play, Roethlisberger responded: "That's the great thing about this country we live in. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and allowed to say what they want. If Ryan feels that way, then that's fine."
It was the second consecutive week that there has been some back and forth between two of the team's captains. After the Steelers lost to the Minnesota Vikings to fall to 0-4, Roethlisberger said the Steelers might be the worst team in the league. Clark said Roethlisberger was being "dramatic" when he said that. Roethlisberger later clarified his comments and said he was viewing it strictly from a win-loss perspective.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/clark-big-ben-should-tone-things-down-706993/#ixzz2hQNIe1fB

K Train
10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Clark just talks talks talks

cmerrifield
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Translation, "I'm a terrible safety and I need you to cover that up."

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Get7With7
10-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Clark knows he sucks and he needs to get ready for his next career in the media.

He's a poison and the sooner he's out of Pittsburgh the better.

K Train
10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
lol ok calm down everyone. Im not his biggest fan and hes got a big mouth, hes not quite "poison" though lol

Speeed
10-11-2013, 12:20 PM
How else is this team supposed to win? By making tackles? By making interceptions? By causing fumbles? That ain't happening. The only player at this point who can win or lose the game is BR. Ryan Clark, to this point, has been a no-show. Ben has to take risks or the team does will not win as 90 percent of the team are asleep in the backseat being driven around. Clark is one of them. They need to wake up.

SnakeEyes43
10-11-2013, 12:35 PM
He's a big mouth, but he's not poison.

But yes, I'm just about ready for him to be gone. He's just not that great of a safety. A hard hitter, for sure, but he's pretty awful at times when it comes to coverage.

steelchamp204
10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
He might have to shut his mouth, but he does have a point to title to be honest.

coldrolled
10-11-2013, 01:52 PM
He might have to shut his mouth, but he does have a point to title to be honest.

Wow. Ben holds the ball and takes to many sacks?? Ben doesn't like to throw short routes?? Ben likes to wait for the big throw even if Wallace is gone?? How long has Clark been in the NFL and a football player??? This board is really smarter than Clark??? Clark went from killer DB to loser because he is telling Ben to get it together and play like a team player...

Big T
10-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Clark knows he sucks and he needs to get ready for his next career in the media.

He's a poison and the sooner he's out of Pittsburgh the better.

Lol seriously? A poison? Jesus... Everything around here is so astronomically blown up. They love him in the lockerroom. They voted him a captain, did they not?

steelchamp204
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Lol seriously? A poison? Jesus... Everything around here is so astronomically blown up. They love him in the lockerroom. They voted him a captain, did they not?

People are quick to forget that Clark held our Secondary together them few seasons where Troy missed a lot of games due to injury. Clark might have had a bad game against the Vikes, but the point is, we played pretty good with Clark when Troy was out, now when Clark is out, it's a big hurt on our D. I still think he is out of here at the end of the season, but the guy has been consistent for us and one of the best tacklers on the team.

steelchamp204
10-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Wow. Ben holds the ball and takes to many sacks?? Ben doesn't like to throw short routes?? Ben likes to wait for the big throw even if Wallace is gone?? How long has Clark been in the NFL and a football player??? This board is really smarter than Clark??? Clark went from killer DB to loser because he is telling Ben to get it together and play like a team player...

I was referring to him being right on about Ben.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2013, 04:18 PM
People are quick to forget that Clark held our Secondary together them few seasons where Troy missed a lot of games due to injury. Clark might have had a bad game against the Vikes, but the point is, we played pretty good with Clark when Troy was out, now when Clark is out, it's a big hurt on our D. I still think he is out of here at the end of the season, but the guy has been consistent for us and one of the best tacklers on the team.

Clark use to be a very good player for this team but he has been terrible this year......You can tell he isn't going full force this year since he is preparing for his next career after football......Clark calling out Ben is really stupid since Ryan Clark should be called out for his soft/poor play this year......If Clark had been playing great so far this year then fine call out Ben but really he just needs to shut the **** up.....I'm so tired of Ryan Clark.....Really hope Shamarko Thomas takes away more playing from Clark the rest of the year.......

NYCsteelersfan
10-11-2013, 04:30 PM
lol this is a f#%king joke. How many interceptions does Clark have this year? How many forced fumbles? How many interceptions does the defense as a unit have? How many forced fumbles and how many fumbles recovered? Oh okay. The proper answer would've been, "hey, at 0-4, I'm sure Roethlisberger feels he can play better just like the entire team feels it can play better, including myself."

Instead, you have a member of the oldest and one of the worst defenses in the league as far as points allowed and turnovers critiquing a member of the offense. That really is a joke and shows where this team is. No discipline or motivation or accountability on this team. Just a bunch of old veterans who are content with their Super Bowl rings and are ready to join the other ex-player talking heads on ESPN.

NYCsteelersfan
10-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm so tired of Ryan Clark.....Really hope Shamarko Thomas takes away more playing from Clark the rest of the year.......

I want all these older players cut and just have them replaced with rookies.

NYCsteelersfan
10-11-2013, 04:33 PM

So Reothlisberger should go on the radio and say "hey, 24th in the league in points allowed, zero turnovers and only 2 forced fumbles. Defense needs to get its act together" ?

K Train
10-11-2013, 05:24 PM
So Reothlisberger should go on the radio and say "hey, 24th in the league in points allowed, zero turnovers and only 2 forced fumbles. Defense needs to get its act together" ?

exactly, he would never say that....but its "unfair" taking sacks and putting the defense on the field

LatrobePA
10-11-2013, 10:01 PM
F Ryan Clark!

HumanPudding
10-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I love ryan clark and how he doesn't sugar coat things, sometimes though its better to Just keep ypur mouth shut whether you're right or wrong

steelers75
10-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Behind this offensive line, if Roethlisberger actually did what Clark suggests as far as throwing the ball away to avoid sacks and not trying to extend plays, he'd have about a 20 percent completion rate and we'd be scoring about 3 points a game.

coldrolled
10-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Behind this offensive line, if Roethlisberger actually did what Clark suggests as far as throwing the ball away to avoid sacks and not trying to extend plays, he'd have about a 20 percent completion rate and we'd be scoring about 3 points a game.

Then we need a Randall Cunningham.. A black QB that runs like the wind... What is this team waiting for?
Id rather watch a fast running black QB than a cumbersome white meat loaf waiting for the 40 yarder.

im not racist, black guys jump and run faster than most white guys.... obviously the NFL is 80% black.

steelchamp204
10-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Then we need a Randall Cunningham.. A black QB that runs like the wind... What is this team waiting for?
Id rather watch a fast running black QB than a cumbersome white meat loaf waiting for the 40 yarder.

im not racist, black guys jump and run faster than most white guys.... obviously the NFL is 80% black.

How many Black QB superbowl winners are there?? I'm not racists either, but your argument is invalid. It's called, getting a better Oline.

questforSB7
10-12-2013, 02:08 PM

So your reasoning would be by getting a Cunningham like QB that when there IS Pressure, that Cunningham would be better at avoiding sacks then Ben cause he is faster ? Yeah thats a great example...considering Randall Cunningham was easily the MOST Sacked QB of all time. :lol:

TarlsQtr
10-12-2013, 03:07 PM
So your reasoning would be by getting a Cunningham like QB that when there IS Pressure, that Cunningham would be better at avoiding sacks then Ben cause he is faster ? Yeah thats a great example...considering Randall Cunningham was easily the MOST Sacked QB of all time. :lol:

No, he was not. Brett Favre, John Elway, Dave Krieg, Cunningham

The sad part is that even when making a legitimate point, you completely screw it up by making up something incredibly wrong and/or stupid (eg. Tomlin invented cover 2).

Tango-9
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Clark's out of line. Obviously. Last thing you do here is show your ssa but he does have a point that many here have already said: Throw the freaking ball away. Ben took 2 sacks in the last game he didn't need to.

Like High School Coach yells at a 16 year old quarterback level stupid.

And Ben's put on weight. Dude is NOT in shape. I've seen it, you've seen it. I know when I'm 10lbs heavier than I need to be and he's over that by 10 more

questforSB7
10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
No, he was not. Brett Favre, John Elway, Dave Krieg, Cunningham

The sad part is that even when making a legitimate point, you completely screw it up by making up something incredibly wrong and/or stupid (eg. Tomlin invented cover 2).

Tell me, on a pass attempt basis...who is the most sacked QB of all the ones you mentioned ?

TarlsQtr
10-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Tell me, on a pass attempt basis...who is the most sacked QB of all the ones you mentioned ?

Tell me where that was the question you asked. You did not say Cunningham was the most sacked most on a per attempt basis. You said he was the most sacked QB "easily."

If you were not precise enough, that is on you.

coldrolled
10-12-2013, 05:33 PM
OK, forget Randall... How about a fast tall QB that runs under a 4.6 and throws bullets.

Real Deal Steel
10-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Ryan Clark's will be officially on the way out per the next draft.

DBR96A
10-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Clark's out of line. Obviously. Last thing you do here is show your ssa but he does have a point that many here have already said: Throw the freaking ball away. Ben took 2 sacks in the last game he didn't need to.

Like High School Coach yells at a 16 year old quarterback level stupid.

Actually, that level of stupid would be something more like Tom Brady throwing deep into double coverage like he did against the Saints yesterday, or Peyton Manning throwing from the sideline back toward the numbers like he did when he put the Ravens in position for the game-winning FG last post-season.

And Ben's put on weight. Dude is NOT in shape. I've seen it, you've seen it. I know when I'm 10lbs heavier than I need to be and he's over that by 10 more

Liar.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/06/7365920-590x424.jpg

Photo taken June 11, 2013.

Nolrog
10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
OK, forget Randall... How about a fast tall QB that runs under a 4.6 and throws bullets.

Would still get killed behind our OL. We already have a franchise QB. People are looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

K Train
10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
there are about 2 QBs id call "tall and fast"

coldrolled
10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Would still get killed behind our OL. We already have a franchise QB. People are looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Ben can stay, but if were picking at the top and can get a #1 QB now, why wouldn't we... you want to stop back in at the top 5 again in two years to get him???

guaranteed Osweiler is ready to take over for peyton.

K Train
10-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Ben can stay, but if were picking at the top and can get a #1 QB now, why wouldn't we... you want to stop back in at the top 5 again in two years to get him???

guaranteed Osweiler is ready to take over for peyton.
LOL the brockweiler is pretty terrible

Real Deal Steel
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Last I saw Brockweiler, it was painful for me to watch him even try to move in the pocket. haha.

K Train
10-16-2013, 12:12 PM
sitting behind peyton does not make you a good QB...said every QB whos ever sat behind peyton lol

NeilPatrickBanana
10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
sitting behind peyton does not make you a good QB...said every QB whos ever sat behind peyton lol

hahaha