PDA

View Full Version : Oline Grade so far (PFF)

NeilPatrickBanana
10-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Just to infuriate people...

The Steelers Oline has graded out at 15th in the league by PFF so far...
10th in run blocking
21st in pass protecting

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/09/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-first-quarter/3/

I highly recommend a subscription if you are interested in advanced stats derived from individual execution on a play by play basis.

K Train
10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
week to week progress has been sensational (especially from decastro/velasco)...even gilbert has started to play well

questforSB7
10-10-2013, 01:53 PM
And I can direct you to a MIT website that shows conclusively that a Elephant CAN hang upside down from a Daisy stem...this is a ACTUAL MIT FACT!!

But I'd rather go with my Eyes and COMMEN SENSE. Our O-Line is among the WORST...period.

coldrolled
10-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Being that they consist of 5 1st and 2nd round picks over the last years.. im all in that they will stay healthy and gel within in a year.

If not we are in for a 5 year death spiral....

steelchamp204
10-10-2013, 02:02 PM
We will find out how good they are come Sunday, the Jets front 7 will test them. Hopefully they do well.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-10-2013, 02:04 PM
And I can direct you to a MIT website that shows conclusively that a Elephant CAN hang upside down from a Daisy stem...this is a ACTUAL MIT FACT!!

But I'd rather go with my Eyes and COMMEN SENSE. Our O-Line is among the WORST...period.

i bet you can't

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2013, 02:59 PM
21st in pass protecting is not good.....Some are quick to knock Ben but this just proves he needs better protection.....Hopefully Bell helps the OL in the run blocking department.....

NYCsteelersfan
10-10-2013, 04:26 PM
21st in pass protecting is not good.....Some are quick to knock Ben but this just proves he needs better protection.....Hopefully Bell helps the OL in the run blocking department.....

Exactly. 21st in pass protection simply confirms what most fans and analysts have been saying. I don't see who would be infuriated. People who say the team can't run? The team can't run and the stats say so regardless of where the oline is ranked in run blocking.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-10-2013, 05:37 PM

21st in pass protection is not good enough. There is no doubt about that...

But the belief around here that we have the "worst oline ever".... is simply not true...
And the belief that the "horrendous" offensive line is the sole reason for offensive failures is also not true.

Exactly. 21st in pass protection simply confirms what most fans and analysts have been saying. I don't see who would be infuriated. People who say the team can't run? The team can't run and the stats say so regardless of where the oline is ranked in run blocking.

hogwash...21st doesnt confirm your statements that we have one of the worst olines in the NFL.

You correlated offensive line performance as an excuse for QB play... yet Indy's offensive line has graded out far worse, so has Seattle's (They've lost Unger and Okung).... and Kansas City.... yet those team's offenses aren't turning the ball over at horrendous rates, and failing to execute in the red zone.

You see this as confirmation of something you believed... while it's actually quite the opposite.

NYCsteelersfan
10-10-2013, 06:16 PM
hogwash...21st doesnt confirm your statements that we have one of the worst olines in the NFL..

21st best out of 32 teams (20 teams better and only 11 teams worse) in pass protection doesn't confirm that this oline is one of the worst in the NFL in pass protection?

I don't what's more stupid, the fact that you used a stat that contradicts your agenda or the fact that you thought people would somehow believe the oline doesn't suck in pass protection because a respected website ranked them 21st best out of 32 in pass protection.

NYCsteelersfan
10-10-2013, 06:25 PM
But the belief around here that we have the "worst oline ever".... is simply not true...
And the belief that the "horrendous" offensive line is the sole reason for offensive failures is also not true.

I don't remember anyone saying "the worse" rather than "one of the worse." And I don't believe anyone said the offensive line is "the sole reason" for the offensive failures rather than saying it's a major contributing factor. You're the only person amongst amateur and professional analysts that tries to sidestep the offensive line issues and just make everything about the quarterback. It's a joke that no one else on this forum takes seriously which is why no one else engages with you in the discussion. I just like pointing out your troll agenda since others are constantly accused of trolling when they say things less stupid than the things you say.

lopanchein
10-10-2013, 10:25 PM
UNFORTUNATELy i think BEACHUM is the best olinemen we have including pouncey who i feel is terribly overrated... the missed oline picks will haunt us for years although i feel beachum to be a keeper

NeilPatrickBanana
10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I don't remember anyone saying "the worse" rather than "one of the worse." And I don't believe anyone said the offensive line is "the sole reason" for the offensive failures rather than saying it's a major contributing factor. You're the only person amongst amateur and professional analysts that tries to sidestep the offensive line issues and just make everything about the quarterback. It's a joke that no one else on this forum takes seriously which is why no one else engages with you in the discussion. I just like pointing out your troll agenda since others are constantly accused of trolling when they say things less stupid than the things you say.

"the worst" or "one of the worst"....

come up with some new material, your cry baby act is worn out

NYCsteelersfan
10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
hogwash...21st doesnt confirm your statements that we have one of the worst olines in the NFL.

Lol...still can't believe someone tried to pawn this off as being a serious statement.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Lol...still can't believe someone tried to pawn this off as being a serious statement.

really? So a 7-9 teams would be one of the worst teams in the league? 7-9 last year would be the 21st ranked team.

I dont think most people would agree with that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2013, 02:15 AM
I will say this it does seem now that DeCastro's nut sack has dropped and that is is good news going forward since the first couple of games this season he looked as soft as baby ****.......Velasco has been the teams best OL and really we got lucky he was out there to be picked off the street.......Hopefully Gilbert doesn't get anymore sand in his vagina the rest of the season......Going forward the OL should be this Gilbert at LT, Brown at LG, Velasco at center, DD at RG, Beachum at RT but that won't happen but that is the best five....

K Train
10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I will say this it does seem now that DeCastro's nut sack has dropped and that is is good news going forward since the first couple of games this season he looked as soft as baby ****.......Velasco has been the teams best OL and really we got lucky he was out there to be picked off the street.......Hopefully Gilbert doesn't get anymore sand in his vagina the rest of the season......Going forward the OL should be this Gilbert at LT, Brown at LG, Velasco at center, DD at RG, Beachum at RT but that won't happen but that is the best five....
Brown at LT or RT scares me but i think he would have a legit home at LG

K Train
10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Just so everyone knows, decastro is playing out of his mind right now....he is who we thought he was.

Same thing happened when we drafted timmons, he got hurt early, didnt look to great coming back from injury and people starting claiming bust. Just needed a little ti

Big T
10-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Just so everyone knows, decastro is playing out of his mind right now....he is who we thought he was.

Same thing happened when we drafted timmons, he got hurt early, didnt look to great coming back from injury and people starting claiming bust. Just needed a little ti

He seriously is. The progress he's made each and every week has been unreal. I would say its been unbelievable, but anyone who's seen him play knows that he's that type of guy. He's a stud.

steelchamp204
10-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Why cant we move on with Foster in the future, his play has been better as of late also? I think Beachum will be fine at LT as he gets more reps and keep Gilbert at RT, even though GUY WHIMPER played very well against the Ravens.

Big T
10-24-2013, 10:59 PM
The Steelers aren't quite ready to compare David DeCastro to Alan Faneca, the best offensive guard in team history and a nine-time Pro Bowl selection.

In a few weeks? Maybe.

The Steelers' running game is being revived because of Le'Veon Bell's post-injury breakout and a rapidly improving blocking unit led by DeCastro.

In less than a full season as a starter, DeCastro already is the NFL's fourth highest-ranked guard in Pro Football Focus' player grading.

According to his teammates, DeCastro is only beginning to tap the talent, internal databank and wealth of resources that, center Fernando Velasco said, are “going to make him a very good player for a long time.”

“He's definitely had some efforts, some plays that showed on film, ‘Hey, this guy is going to work,' ” said Bell, who gained 51 of his 93 yards Sunday against the Ravens running behind DeCastro. The Steelers ran for 141 yards, their most in nearly a year.

A major preseason knee injury last year kept DeCastro from starting all but three games, so 2013 is effectively an extension of his rookie year.

He's only now learning many of the nuances, tricks and skills needed to excel as a quarterback's lone line of protection, a running back's only source of open ground.

Velasco, in his fifth NFL season, hasn't seen anyone pick it up as quickly as DeCastro, the Steelers' 2012 first-round pick from Stanford.

“He's so smart as far as the game goes, he knows everything that's going on out there,” Velasco said. “He watches a lot of film, so he knows what to expect, and he uses it to his advantage.

“Being as smart as he is, it gives him an advantage over a lot of guys.”

DeCastro's early-season play might have been affected by the cut block he threw eight plays into the Sept. 8 opener against Tennessee that accidentally put teammate Maurkice Pouncey out for the season.

Since then, according to longtime NFL lineman Jamie Dukes, “He's playing with a chip on his shoulder.”

“He's good at knowing how to position his body,” left guard Ramon Foster said. “Those are the guys that know how to not lose a battle, how to counter a guy, and he's doing it really good.”

The 6-foot-5, 316-pound DeCastro also excels in his pre-snap preparations, when he must quickly calculate who he is blocking and who will be blitzing.

“The game slows down to where you just see things and notice things, and you don't have to think about as long. It doesn't take as long to process things,” DeCastro said. “You just see it, and that's that. The mind already knows before you even have to think about it. Those are the real little things, subtle things, that make a difference.”

DeCastro has played in only 10 NFL games — four last season — yet he is the Steelers' highest-ranked guard since Faneca. He is sixth among run blockers and 20th among pass blockers. He has yet to be penalized and has been beaten for only two sacks and two quarterback hits.

DeCastro cautions, he's not close to being a finished product.

“I played well the last game, but there are still some plays where I'm like, ‘What am I doing?' ” DeCastro said. “There are always things you can clean up. That's what the great players do, they always try to fix those things and be perfect.”

http://triblive.com/mobile/4931018-96/decastro-steelers-season

NeilPatrickBanana
10-24-2013, 11:10 PM
he's been an absolute catalyst for the turn around (and i think velasco, while being no where near as dominant, has been a key factor in bringing cohesion to the interior)

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2013, 11:13 PM
he's been an absolute catalyst for the turn around (and i think velasco, while being no where near as dominant, has been a key factor in bringing cohesion to the interior)

Velasco seems to have better smarts for the center position then Pouncey as well and I think that is another factor......But back to DD yes he is starting to become the player most thought he would become and I think he is going to be the best OG in the NFL very soon.....

NeilPatrickBanana
10-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Velasco seems to have better smarts for the center position then Pouncey as well and I think that is another factor......But back to DD yes he is starting to become the player most thought he would become and I think he is going to be the best OG in the NFL very soon.....

there was a mental block for decastro after the pouncey injury... he looked BAD in weeks 1 and 2.... but things started turning around in weeks 3 and 4.... and in weeks 6 and 7, he was a total man beast against top tier competition.

someone else said it earlier.... and i'd like to re-iterate, because i had a period of doubt.... but "he is who we thought he was"

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2013, 11:23 PM
there was a mental block for decastro after the pouncey injury... he looked BAD in weeks 1 and 2.... but things started turning around in weeks 3 and 4.... and in weeks 6 and 7, he was a total man beast against top tier competition.

someone else said it earlier.... and i'd like to re-iterate, because i had a period of doubt.... but "he is who we thought he was"

I was alittle frustrated with DD at first this season as well but then I had to keep reminding myself that most of his rookie season was wiped due to his knee injury but he looked soft the first few games but yea the Pouncey injury could have been effecting him mentally but this past Ravens game is were I said Welcome To The NFL David DeCastro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really the OL is starting to settle into place........Beachum isn't the ideal LT but really has settled the position for now........Foster, Velasco, DD, Gilbert really are solid the rest of the way......Just hope these five can stay healthy so they get into sync with one another.........

steelchamp204
10-25-2013, 12:29 AM
This team is going to have some big decisions next season on Velasco/Pouncey/Foster. Foster has really improved at guard. How I see it, I think Pouncey will be with another team seeing that the Steelers wont offer what he wants. I just dont see it, I dont hate Pouncey, I have nothing against him, but this team needs cap space for the future. I wouldnt be upset if he stayed, but I wouldnt be upset if he left.