PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight Boxing?

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Who else misses the good ole days when boxing was a big part of our sports culture in America? I grew up in the 70's watching Mohammed Ali fight the likes of Joe Frasier, Ken Norton, George Foreman, Ernie Shavers, Leon Spinks and Larry Holmes. Ever notice most of the fights on Superbouts all took place in the 70's and 80's? Lennox Lewis was a good fighter but had nobody else to fight who was worth a damn.......probably why he retired! Seems like boxing is more of a punchline in a joke now than it is a legitimate sport! What happened? Mike Tyson has hurt the sport a lot more than he ever helped it! He is a clown and he turned the sport into his own personal circus!
:boxing:

DIESELMAN
02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Those were the days. Nowdays every heavy weight is a pretender there is no one that totally rules the division anymore. The heavyweights are soft today, they'd rather clinch every round then to actually box and trade punches. Tyson could've been something special but after D'Amato died and he fired his trainer Rooney he went downhill. What a waste.....I watch middleweights and anything lighter nowdays.

BB2W
02-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Very few boxing matches period interest me anymore... I'd much rather watch MMA.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I love boxing but since Lewis retired. The division sucks!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I love boxing but since Lewis retired. The division sucks!

I'm with you I like boxing alot and hate the fact the heavyweight division is such a joke anymore.:bluelol:

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Do any of you remember any of these bouts?

Leonard/Hearns/Hagler

These were great fights between all 3 of these guys!

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

Blitzburgh55
02-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Middle Weight it the New Top Class They have alot of good fighters

SteelerSteve
07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
MMA, particularly the UFC has replaced boxing as the sport to beat as far as fighting goes at least. Its much more entertaining anyway.

JoeThomas
07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
The best boxers are anywhere between 135 and 175. the lightweights thru the middleweights. you have so many better fighters of all time from between these weights where you dont have as many heavy's. not to take anything away but its so hard to find a quality fighter that big. its why you have someone so dominant then breaks between them. right now the best fighter is manny pacquiao.

Stlrs4Life
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Do any of you remember any of these bouts?

Leonard/Hearns/Hagler

These were great fights between all 3 of these guys!

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

I remember them well. Those were the good ole days. It's a shame to what has happened to boxing.