PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals trade LT Levi Brown to the Steelers!!!

cmerrifield
10-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Multiple twitter sources say we are getting Levi Brown.

#Steelers and #Cardinals are working on a deal to send OT Levi Brown to Pittsburgh, source says. Should be finalized later today.
10:18 AM - 2 Oct 2013
thats from Rapoport

JShare86
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
We traded for Levi Brown. I have no clue what we gave up. Hopefully not our number 2 overall selection.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/02/report-steelers-cards-working-on-levi-brown-deal/

According to rotoworld.com, the deals been done. Well, they are trying to fix things. Too little too late.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
But he is an upgrade over what's there.

K Train
10-02-2013, 10:39 AM
lol levi brown

TarlsQtr
10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Multiple twitter sources say we are getting Levi Brown.

#Steelers and #Cardinals are working on a deal to send OT Levi Brown to Pittsburgh, source says. Should be finalized later today.
10:18 AM - 2 Oct 2013
thats from Rapoport

LOL Watched him give up 3 sacks to Quinn. Yay! Seriously though, anything is an upgrade but not by all that much.

TarlsQtr
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I watched him give up 3 sacks to Quinn in the first game...

TarlsQtr
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
If we gave up a #2 for Brown, I will jump off a bridge. He is not worth much more than a ham sandwich.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
I watched him give up 3 sacks to Quinn in the first game...

And that's still an upgrade over what we have going at LT. LOL. Boy..we are up sh!t creek without a padel!! LOL

Got to laugh to keep from crying about our team.

questforSB7
10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Well If I were the GM...we would have Monroe for a 4th rounder. And please, don't Insult my superior Intelligence by saying the steelers could not re-sign him, cause if you do, you are only enntering " NEIL " territory. And FAT....DRUNK and STUPID is no way to go through life son.

Levi, if obtained is as BAD as Adams, or anyone else we have as a PASS PROTECTOR. But, Levi IS a good run blocker and Road Grader...with an ATTITUDE. That is the only reason why Pittsburgh got him. And you're right, ANYTHING more then a 5th for this guy ONLY goes to show anyone that Colnert should be FIRED...and I SHOULD be hired.

But then again, The Rooney's, or Irish people in general are NOT known for their Brain Cells.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 10:58 AM
If we gave up a #2 for Brown, I will jump off a bridge. He is not worth much more than a ham sandwich.

If we gave a second round pick, Colbert has to be called on the carpet. Has to be.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 10:59 AM
The Rooney's, or Irish people in general are NOT known for their Brain Cells.

Come on man. Be better then that. Gzzz

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Just saw that they are saying we gave up one or more late round draft picks for Brown.

questforSB7
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Come on man. Be better then that. Gzzz

Yeah right. Cause we ALL know that the Rooney's graduated from Harvard :lol:

K Train
10-02-2013, 11:02 AM
its worth it for a 6th round pick or whatever.

Going new look with brown and velasco lol

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Sources are now saying we gave up one or more late round draft picks for Brown. Brown isn't worth a box of donuts. :(

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Let's just keep laughing K-Train

questforSB7
10-02-2013, 11:07 AM

Yeah right, that's worth it. But a pick in the 4th to 7th range for Eugene Monroe...a PURE LT who is better then ANY LT that ever played for the Jaguars..( Yes, that Includes Tony Boselli )....He's not worth it huh ?

steelspikes
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah right, that's worth it. But a pick in the 4th to 7th range for Eugene Monroe...a PURE LT who is better then ANY LT that ever played for the Jaguars..( Yes, that Includes Tony Boselli )....He's not worth it huh ?
Once again, Ravens' front office beats Steelers to the punch. Monroe is head & shoulders above Levi Brown. Who the hell is driving this ship, err, trainwreck?

K Train
10-02-2013, 11:17 AM
They are giving up multiple picks and are going to be looking at a big contract. Monroe is ok, but they just draft Joeckel, they need more than a somewhat injury prone LT who is going to want big money.

Plus no one isnt saying he wouldnt be worth it, people have SERIOUS trade envy around here

LASVEGASGUY
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
He must've really been in the dog house. Traded to the 0-4 Steelers :lol:. Sorry, Levi.

K Train
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I dont get the big deal, he didnt live up to his 5th overall status, but he can be a decent player

questforSB7
10-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Once again, Ravens' front office beats Steelers to the punch. Monroe is head & shoulders above Levi Brown. Who the hell is driving this ship, err, trainwreck?

I don't know but, am I crazy ? It seems EVERY TIME the Steelers end up with Arizona Cardinal players, and our players seem to end up there ??/ What up with that ? Does " Colbert " have some sort of " Brokeback Mountain " thing going on with their GM. If so, can we PLEASE....Send a 4th rounder for " Larry Fitzgerald " ? Now THAT would be a trade that I think NO Steelers fan here would B!tch about!!

questforSB7
10-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I dont get the big deal, he didnt live up to his 5th overall status, but he can be a decent player

Right now...I mean RIGHT NOW...Max Starks can run a FASTER 10 yard split, and overall 40 yard dash then Levi Brown can. And thats a CONFIRMED FACT!!

And Max Starks was released last night by the Rams. So I will ASSume that Max will be back as well to take over Gilbert's spot right ? :duh:

TarlsQtr
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Take it for what it is worth, but ProFootballFocus has Adams as the 68th best pass blocking tackle. They rank Levi as 60. Again, I watched him get manhandled by Quinn but have not seen their last couple of games.

TheTittsburghFeelers
10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
I also believe we could have signed Monroe to a long-term deal. There is going to be a massive purge in the offseason that is going to free up cap space. Getting a premier LT like Monroe also would have freed the high first round pick we are going to have for another position other than LT. With the possible departures of Ike, Troy, Clark, and Keisel, and Sanders it would have been nice to address one of these areas with a premier player. The o-line obviously is the area most concerning. You can't win in this league if you can't pass block somewhat consistently. Levi Brown isn't the long-term answer, he is merely a piece of bubble gum on a leaking pipe. As many others have noted, he is not a good pass blocker but is an upgrade to Mike Adams. Depending on what happens against the Jets and Ravens, the purge may start before the offseason. Some of these guys could really help contenders.

K Train
10-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Right now...I mean RIGHT NOW...Max Starks can run a FASTER 10 yard split, and overall 40 yard dash then Levi Brown can. And thats a CONFIRMED FACT!!

And Max Starks was released last night by the Rams. So I will ASSume that Max will be back as well to take over Gilbert's spot right ? :duh:
confirmed fact? lol

Please stop trolling

cbrunn
10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Levi can be a good LG I think

switch Gilbert and Adams and move Levi to LG ... And I think were on to something... Also brown guarantee money is up after this yr , he could come a cap space saver next yr , cut him with no penalty

TarlsQtr
10-02-2013, 11:29 AM

But is it a "confirmed fact" that he an block Jared Allen?

K Train
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I also dont et what a 40 yard dash has to do with an offensive lineman...there is zero correlation

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Stop taking drugs

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I hope they dont intend on using him at LT...

So much for zone blocking... Lol

ChucktownSteeler
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
Tell me that Ziggy Hood wasn't a better more explosive Athlete then JJ Watt, or even Suh when they came out...go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

I just saw this and almost fell out of my chair.

questforSB7
10-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
Tell me that Ziggy Hood wasn't a better more explosive Athlete then JJ Watt, or even Suh when they came out...go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

I just saw this and almost fell out of my chair.

Yeah I'm lying. Why don't you go look at each of their workout numbers...then get back with me son.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Brown is signed 3 more seasons following this year at cap hits of 6 million, 5 million, and 5 million.

steelchamp204
10-02-2013, 12:24 PM
What the ****. Is this a joke??

HUNT4SEVEN
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
lol levi brown

That's what i'm saying, SMGDH, why not just bring back Max? :evilshake:

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Well If I were the GM...we would have Monroe for a 4th rounder. And please, don't Insult my superior Intelligence by saying the steelers could not re-sign him, cause if you do, you are only enntering " NEIL " territory. And FAT....DRUNK and STUPID is no way to go through life son.

Levi, if obtained is as BAD as Adams, or anyone else we have as a PASS PROTECTOR. But, Levi IS a good run blocker and Road Grader...with an ATTITUDE. That is the only reason why Pittsburgh got him. And you're right, ANYTHING more then a 5th for this guy ONLY goes to show anyone that Colnert should be FIRED...and I SHOULD be hired.

But then again, The Rooney's, or Irish people in general are NOT known for their Brain Cells.

actually, the fact that they traded for Levi and NOT Monroe is a clear indication that they knew they couldn't re-sign Monroe. Brown is locked up for 3 more seasons at a very fair cap hit of 5 - 6 mil, for 3 more seasons (regardless of where he plays), and because none of the signing bonus money comes along, they could cut and walk away if it doesn't work with no cap penalties.

Where as Monroe is a pending UFA, and will command a contract among the top paid LTs in the league (10-12 million cap hit)

The Steelers have zero ability to take on that kind of deal given their 2014 cap situation (something Quest has no concept of in a detailed sense)

teeceemadison
10-02-2013, 12:42 PM
hmmm, so brown is a bum, i recall the same was said of velasco, and he has been our start offensive line from his first snap......lets see what happens with brown.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Take it for what it is worth, but ProFootballFocus has Adams as the 68th best pass blocking tackle. They rank Levi as 60. Again, I watched him get manhandled by Quinn but have not seen their last couple of games.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHA. So basically, your saying one is Horse $hit and the other is better because he's only dog $hit. Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

LatrobePA
10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Everyone bitching about this needs to just stop and let him play a few games to see how he pans out. It's clear Adams isn't the answer!!

SuperSteelers
10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
hmmm, so brown is a bum, i recall the same was said of velasco, and he has been our start offensive line from his first snap......lets see what happens with brown.

I agree with you on this one. I question most of these posts because it is very unlikely that anyone has actually seen this guy play unless they live near the Arizona television viewing market.

Tango-9
10-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Everyone bitching about this needs to just stop and let him play a few games to see how he pans out. It's clear Adams isn't the answer!!

Even my wife, who's a great Steelers fan (protip: never marry a girl who ain't) said: "I'm surprised he (Adams) didn't find a shiny thing on the ground and start licking it during the play."

I laughed. And cried. Then laughed.

steelchamp204
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
This whole offensive line thing is a joke man. We have been complaining about the line for how many years now???? The Steelers still can't figure it out.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM

please provide confirmation data, anything from the last 3 months will be sufficient

(not that 40/10 yard times have any relevance what so ever... i just want to see you dance)

steelchamp204
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM
So I take it Foster wont be back soon, they will move Beachum to guard even though they practiced him at LT?? So instead of working with the Oline more, Tomlin is giving his guys 4 days off?? Gilbert and Adams battle for the RT position???

cmerrifield
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
So I take it Foster wont be back soon, they will move Beachum to guard even though they practiced him at LT?? So instead of working with the Oline more, Tomlin is giving his guys 4 days off?? Gilbert and Adams battle for the RT position???

New CBA requires they get time off on the bye week.

K Train
10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
would really prefer brown at LG.

Gilbert at LT (he is actually finally starting to play well)
Brown at LG (where he should have been from day one ala leonard davis)
Velasco at C, hes just an all around solid player
Decastro at RG, hes been playing better every week
Adams at RT, i thought he could play LT, he cant, but he was good on the right

And Beachum can play when any one of them ****s up or inevitably gets injured

steelchamp204
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM

I dont know Train, I think Beachum has earned the right to start to be honest.

K Train
10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
i think beachum has played well when hes in, but im not sure where to place him yet, and i have a seriously hard time giving up on adams given the state of the season right now...if theres a time for him to play and get better, it might as well be now.....unless he ends up getting ben killed

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 02:02 PM

I agree, I'd prefer him at LG... I also wouldn't mind if they intend to try him at RT as well.

SnakeEyes43
10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah I'm lying. Why don't you go look at each of their workout numbers...then get back with me son.

It doesn't matter if he can't produce on the field...

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 02:18 PM
one way or the other... this is probably the end of Isaac Redman. Id venture he'll be cut to make the necessary cap space for this move.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was included in the trade... actually

either way... good riddance

TarlsQtr
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
one way or the other... this is probably the end of Isaac Redman. Id venture he'll be cut to make the necessary cap space for this move.

On his way out of the facilities, Redman will fall, fake a concussion, and go on worker's comp for a year.

LatrobePA
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
On his way out of the facilities, Redman will fall, fake a concussion, and go on worker's comp for a year.

Love it!!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-02-2013, 02:34 PM

Ok if they do indeed move Brown to OG and then he goes on to have the career Davis had when moving to OG then yea I'm ok with this trade......But I do think its clear Levi Brown isn't an OT at the NFL level.....

HumanPudding
10-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Second veteran turnstile tackle pickup this year....yipee!

coldrolled
10-02-2013, 03:00 PM

Maybe we traded him in the deal????

WindyCityShaker
10-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree, I'd prefer him at LG... I also wouldn't mind if they intend to try him at RT as well.

I'm hoping the move isn't to LT, there is no improvement there of any real significance. I'm also hoping the move isn't to guard because then that would leave no room to move Pouncey there and keep Velasco (If he blows it out the rest of the year how do you not want to keep Velasco?)

I'd prefer the RT solution and let Adams and Gilbert have it out for the LT position (although currently that's not even a competition). That way you find out if Levi can manage RT, at the same time you give Gilbert/Adams one last shot at LT; this would help prioritize draft necessities.

Many have thown out possible line combinations for the rest of this year, or next and next so I'll throw out mine. IF the Steelers tried Brown out at RT, and he proved well there, I'd then be more willing to look at possibly thinking about hitting the OLine one more time, (given we are in position to do so), and set up next year ....

Lewan, Pouncey, Velasco, Decastro, Brown

Dean Denton
10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'm lying. Why don't you go look at each of their workout numbers...then get back with me son.guess those numbers did nothing for the eye test because come draft day Watt and Kong were top of the board. Hood....lol he fell to us....sigh

LASVEGASGUY
10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Anyone else starting to believe we just don't know what the hell we're doing anymore? It seems like we're always late to the party and all we do is grasp at straws. We bring back deadwood like Gay and I am sure we will be looking at Starks. The Ravens pick up Monroe and we get stuck with Brown. Ozzie has his finger on the pulse in Baltimore while Tomlin and Colbert are still trying to find their way post Cowher. So much cancer on this team, we need a total scrubbing from top to bottom.

LatrobePA
10-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Brown will prove to be a good pick up, give him a chance...

Dean Denton
10-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Brown will prove to be a good pick up, give him a chance...wish I felt that way, but something tells me it's just a desperation move that does nothing.

K Train
10-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Anyone else starting to believe we just don't know what the hell we're doing anymore? It seems like we're always late to the party and all we do is grasp at straws. We bring back deadwood like Gay and I am sure we will be looking at Starks. The Ravens pick up Monroe and we get stuck with Brown. Ozzie has his finger on the pulse in Baltimore while Tomlin and Colbert are still trying to find their way post Cowher. So much cancer on this team, we need a total scrubbing from top to bottom.
hilarious to think cowher would make all this go away lol....hilarious

He'd still have kordell at QB if he had the choice lol

LatrobePA
10-02-2013, 05:16 PM

I think them two had relations..

LASVEGASGUY
10-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Kordell jokes aside, I think we can agree, he never fielded a team as ridiculous as what Tomlin has put together. Right now, I would take a Kordell/Cowher team over this **** any day of the week.

K Train
10-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Cowher was norotious for sticking with his guys too long, the fact that we still have stuck with some of them disturbs me.

Colbert is a good GM, tomlin is a good coach...teams do go through this, its the teams that dont let it be permanent that are the ones right back in the thick of things.

Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin are good, they are in the same boat as us...keeping a superbowl team together and picking at the tail end of the draft over and over again (2008 and 2009 were bad drafts for us and a lot of teams and its showing on us in that we didnt have a lot of young talent to begin with)

Raising pitchforks a month into a new scheme because the oline has struggled isnt the right mindset.....if switching to a ZBS was super easy...EVERYONE would do it, who wouldnt want a scheme that can make even the most pedestrian runners look like stars? Its a work in progress.

Steelers are facing some very rare adversity right now, blowing up the staff and front office isnt how you fix that...theres going to be some decisions that need to be made. Nobody likes spoiled people in general, but damn this is a spoiled fan base lol. If one down year leads to landing a few star players next year lets do it, lets get all the rough patch work out of the way now and build for another decade long run.

Some teams are in this state for decades at a time, some have never even been out of this state...the world isnt ending, if they can get all the adjustments and personnel moves out of the way in one year then thats awesome they will pick it up again business as usual.

People hate on tomlin because of what he says and how he acts, but hes a confident coach who gives the media cliches and talks about committing to being excellent and unleashing hell and all the jokes you want to throw out there, but i assure you just getting rid of tomlin isnt what is bringing this team out of the hole...its gonna be once the growing pains stop for young players (which each week we are seeing) and guys getting better at playing together, theres a LOT of new faces for the first time in a long time

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Cowher was norotious for sticking with his guys too long, the fact that we still have stuck with some of them disturbs me.

Colbert is a good GM, tomlin is a good coach...teams do go through this, its the teams that dont let it be permanent that are the ones right back in the thick of things.

Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin are good, they are in the same boat as us...keeping a superbowl team together and picking at the tail end of the draft over and over again (2008 and 2009 were bad drafts for us and a lot of teams and its showing on us in that we didnt have a lot of young talent to begin with)

Raising pitchforks a month into a new scheme because the oline has struggled isnt the right mindset.....if switching to a ZBS was super easy...EVERYONE would do it, who wouldnt want a scheme that can make even the most pedestrian runners look like stars? Its a work in progress.

Steelers are facing some very rare adversity right now, blowing up the staff and front office isnt how you fix that...theres going to be some decisions that need to be made. Nobody likes spoiled people in general, but damn this is a spoiled fan base lol. If one down year leads to landing a few star players next year lets do it, lets get all the rough patch work out of the way now and build for another decade long run.

Some teams are in this state for decades at a time, some have never even been out of this state...the world isnt ending, if they can get all the adjustments and personnel moves out of the way in one year then thats awesome they will pick it up again business as usual.

People hate on tomlin because of what he says and how he acts, but hes a confident coach who gives the media cliches and talks about committing to being excellent and unleashing hell and all the jokes you want to throw out there, but i assure you just getting rid of tomlin isnt what is bringing this team out of the hole...its gonna be once the growing pains stop for young players (which each week we are seeing) and guys getting better at playing together, theres a LOT of new faces for the first time in a long time

Seconded

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2013, 06:31 PM

K-Train, with all do respect this is a bunch of crap.

1. The Giants situation is because of RECENT O-line deterioration. While we've had a crappy O-line for 3 1/2 years now.

2. And yes, there is raising pitch forks is correct because this is boil over from people tired of seeing the same problem for thsi amount of time and see it send us to an opening season record of 0-4 which basically eliminates us from the post season.

3. And..since we switching blocking schemes to the ZBS, if they were as serious as they say they were about adopting it as fast as possible, why didn't they hire Alex Gibbs when he was available????

4. Tomlin isn't as confident as you proclaim. EVERYONE can see that.

Sorry but right now your just being a company man right now.

K Train
10-02-2013, 06:43 PM
K-Train, with all do respect this is a bunch of crap.

1. The Giants situation is because of RECENT O-line deterioration. While we've had a crappy O-line for 3 1/2 years now.

2. And yes, there is raising pitch forks is correct because this is boil over from people tired of seeing the same problem for thsi amount of time and see it send us to an opening season record of 0-4 which basically eliminates us from the post season.

3. And..since we switching blocking schemes to the ZBS, if they were as serious as they say they were about adopting it as fast as possible, why didn't they hire Alex Gibbs when he was available????

4. Tomlin isn't as confident as you proclaim. EVERYONE can see that.

Sorry but right now your just being a company man right now.
Giants also have serious defense and RB problems too, eli cant do without a good oline, ben could

Honestly i dont know what the problem is with a guy like mike adams, he was worth that pick at the time its easy to say they havent addressed the problem but they have really tried and it hasnt come together yet, but that does not mean it wont. I get it, pouncey sucks and is overrated, decastro is a bust, mike adams isnt worth anything blah blah blah. I do find Mike adams to be baffling, he really has top notch tools but he is struggling hard right now...he may become a good player, but its clear right now he isnt....but i would like to give him a chance to improve given that the season is pretty much out of reach at this point.....not having a run game has really hurt them too...sticking to guys like REDZONE REDMAN to get one yard carries has allowed defenses to just tee off on the line and get after ben..play action has been an absolute staple in his game since day one but no one is afraid to see redman or dwyer dropped for a gain of 1...its little things like that which are making the oline look so terirble, they really do need time

Tomlin has his work cut out for him, no doubt about that...theres very few safe roster spots. I do think they had a very good draft this year (and i know you do too) but it cant really be expected to see a bunch of rookies turn the team around. They will be counted on heavily next year though.

Guys like heyward and mcclendon are playing good football, jarvis jones is showing us hes a good player, troy and ike are playing lights out.

Decastro is improving significantly every week, i mean REALLY significantly...it wont be long for him to be one of the best, if you really watch him week to week you see the massive strides hes been making. maybe bell will provide a legitimate run threat and allow the offense to not play scared, that would be huge

A company man? Fine, ill take that over a whiny little spoiled baby lol

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 06:54 PM
for the love of god, someone tell that imbecile to stop bringing up Alex Gibbs everytime someone mentions zone blocking. it's mind numbingly idiotic.

SteelerCountry58
10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
So happy to see we are now taking on Bruce Arians disregarded trash.
Pretty sad when people are saying this is a "upgrade" over what we have. LMFAO!
This whole O line debacle is embarrassing,this damn team has more then enough high
picks spent on this area and now we pick up this Arians castaway? You suck Colbert!
The Rooney's need to step up and start growing some balls. Unacceptable.

Nolrog
10-02-2013, 07:45 PM
If we gave a second round pick, Colbert has to be called on the carpet. Has to be.

It would be pretty consisent with all the other **** he's drafted in the 2nd round.

Nolrog
10-02-2013, 07:47 PM

It's also his first few games back after missing a year. This wasn't a bad move. Low risk, high reward.

K Train
10-02-2013, 07:52 PM
It's also his first few games back after missing a year. This wasn't a bad move. Low risk, high reward.

This is true too. I especially like the idea of him at guard next year. If one if it both he and valasco can stick it could really make a difference.

Sometimes a change is good for a player who has had an up and down career on a usually pretty bad team

Big T
10-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Giants also have serious defense and RB problems too, eli cant do without a good oline, ben could

Honestly i dont know what the problem is with a guy like mike adams, he was worth that pick at the time its easy to say they havent addressed the problem but they have really tried and it hasnt come together yet, but that does not mean it wont. I get it, pouncey sucks and is overrated, decastro is a bust, mike adams isnt worth anything blah blah blah. I do find Mike adams to be baffling, he really has top notch tools but he is struggling hard right now...he may become a good player, but its clear right now he isnt....but i would like to give him a chance to improve given that the season is pretty much out of reach at this point.....not having a run game has really hurt them too...sticking to guys like REDZONE REDMAN to get one yard carries has allowed defenses to just tee off on the line and get after ben..play action has been an absolute staple in his game since day one but no one is afraid to see redman or dwyer dropped for a gain of 1...its little things like that which are making the oline look so terirble, they really do need time

Tomlin has his work cut out for him, no doubt about that...theres very few safe roster spots. I do think they had a very good draft this year (and i know you do too) but it cant really be expected to see a bunch of rookies turn the team around. They will be counted on heavily next year though.

Guys like heyward and mcclendon are playing good football, jarvis jones is showing us hes a good player, troy and ike are playing lights out.

Decastro is improving significantly every week, i mean REALLY significantly...it wont be long for him to be one of the best, if you really watch him week to week you see the massive strides hes been making. maybe bell will provide a legitimate run threat and allow the offense to not play scared, that would be huge

A company man? Fine, ill take that over a whiny little spoiled baby lol

Agree. Well said.

Dean Denton
10-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Agree. Well said. yeah, but the truth is our oline has been bottom of the league since Grimm and Cowher left, and has gotten worse every year. I agree blowing up the front office won't fix this season but we might need to look at changing for the future. Not feeling like this staff can put a good oline together. It seems like they have no clue. And I agree with ktrain about this league being cyclical and this could be our time to suffer some hard times but I think some of this could have been avoided. This team has been down before, but never lacked the toughness they seem to lack now.

jpele
10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
But he is an upgrade over what's there.

He's an upgrade if they only other choice was the waterboy.

K Train
10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Marvel, faneca, hartingd, Simmons, and Starks were just flat out better players than we have right now. They have plenty of potential to get better too. Foster is the only one who I believe is maxed out, what you see is what you get. They all can improve, and they should be expected to.

Plus they had capable backs, actually pro bowl backs where the run game and play action was very threatening. Haven't had that in a few years (since flo was absolutely mauling people and Mendenhall was at his best)

Things should come together, mike Adams needs to be better, but hopefully between brown, Adams, Gilbert, and beachem they could find a decent set of starting tackles. Like I've said before Chris Meyers and Duane brown haven't always just been star linemen talked about as the best at their position. It was an awful lot of terrible play and getting benched before they came to that. Maybe Adams would be better at guard. It's not supposed to be that way given his size and athletic ability but damn he can move people on the ground. It would look weird but Alex Boone is doing it at 6-8 in SF as a RG (another buckeye nonetheless)

NeilPatrickBanana
10-02-2013, 11:41 PM
interesting tidbit from Lolley:
"Brown is due to earn $3.6 for the remainder of this season. Arizona will pay $2.4 million of that, with the Steelers responsible for $840,000."

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

TarlsQtr
10-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Ben on Levi:.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23983567/ben-roethlisberger-on-new-lt-levi-brown-who-knows-if-hes-the-guy

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has spent most of the first month of the season picking himself up off the turf, didn't sound like Brown's arrival would magically fix the O-line.

"I don't have much of a reaction," Roethlisberger said. "I obviously know the name. It's Pittsburgh West out there [in Arizona], so it makes sense. We'll just have to see what the plan is for him and the other guys that are here."

Big Ben also didn't know if Brown would be his new left tackle when the team takes the field again in 10 days.

"We'll see," he said. "It depends on how much works he wants to put in. How much does he want to be here? Is he going to be here all weekend? Does he want to put the time and effort into be that guy? Who knows if he is that guy? Is it [Kelvin ] Beachum or Mike? We don't know. I guess it will be a matter if he can learn the offense when he gets here."

TarlsQtr
10-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Oh, and this is what ProFootballFocus had to say about Decastro and the OL:

24. David DeCastro, RG, Pittsburgh Steelers
Grade: +4.3
Analysis: Whisper it quietly but the Steelers’ line (on the interior) has actually done a pretty decent job. DeCastro is a big part of that and really looks at home when the team runs the ball.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/02/2012-first-rounders-in-focus/

questforSB7
10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
The Steelers getting this guy only means Adams is really in Tomlin's Doghouse. Meanning if Beechum some how gets hurt next weekend during the game, he wants an option to use other then Adams. And in time, he will try Brown at LT if for no other reason that Brown was a starter on the AZ line when Haley was the OC there. So he likely knows Haley's ZBS maybe ??
Otherwise there really was no reason to get Brown. I think honestly Brown has had alot of conditioning issues the past few years. This season will be a evaluation for him to remain here in Pittsburgh. Otherwise, look for a early O-linemen in the draft again.

TheTittsburghFeelers
10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Ben doesn't sound too confident in his new lineman, and I love how he throws the "Pittsburgh-west" connotation out regarding Arizona.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh, and this is what ProFootballFocus had to say about Decastro and the OL:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/02/2012-first-rounders-in-focus/

I've seen and said the same thing. The poor play of the oline has been exaggerated by the atrocious play of Adams.

Velasco and decastro have played very well the last 2 weeks. And Gilbert hasn't been bad... The left side has sucked though.

steelchamp204
10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Yea, Ben doesnt seem to happy. I dont blame him though.

Dean Denton
10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I went back and looked at some old threads from 2008 and we were having the same conversations about the oline. This issue has been going on since Russ Grimm left and its gotten worse every year. Kinda gotta think this falls on Tomlin. How do you have the same issue every year for 6 seasons and never get it fixed?

Rocky#20
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
It sure sounds like Ben is getting totally disgusted with the whole mess.

Dean Denton
10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
It sure sounds like Ben is getting totally disgusted with the whole mess.
I think it's safe to say all of steeler nation is disgusted with the entire mess.

Big T
10-04-2013, 12:47 AM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: Levi Brown deal keeps getting better for #Steelers, who also get an "unannounced draft pick" from Cardinals.

Blitzburghpete
10-04-2013, 06:57 AM
I went back and looked at some old threads from 2008 and we were having the same conversations about the oline. This issue has been going on since Russ Grimm left and its gotten worse every year. Kinda gotta think this falls on Tomlin. How do you have the same issue every year for 6 seasons and never get it fixed?

To be honest, i don't think the o line has been the same since Faneca left.. Each year since then i've thought the steelers have needed to draft an O lineman first pick, and like you say, to me that's where our biggest need is already for next year.

Is there any superstar college linemen around for a top 5 pick next year ???

NeilPatrickBanana
10-04-2013, 09:06 AM
To be honest, i don't think the o line has been the same since Faneca left.. Each year since then i've thought the steelers have needed to draft an O lineman first pick, and like you say, to me that's where our biggest need is already for next year.

Is there any superstar college linemen around for a top 5 pick next year ???

Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan are both top 5-10 picks

Blitzburghpete
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan are both top 5-10 picks

either one of those 2 a Monster LT ??

Big T
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Both are LTs

NeilPatrickBanana
10-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Jake Matthews has limitless potential. Not sure what your definition of Monster LT is, but I think Matthews has elite athleticism and technique. He's not a monster size wise, but he has the technical skill to be a lockdown LT. His arms are a bit short for the position, but his feet/agility/athleticism is elite, and his technique is beyond that of most college LTs.

Taylor Lewan is going to be a solid pro. Think of former Wolverine Jake Long. He never reached that consistent "elite" plateau, and Lewan will likely be similar...

Also, Cyrus Kouiandjio is going to be a beast. He might be more of the monster you are looking for, but he has a lot more developing to do, and may end up being a guy who has to slide over to the right side like Oher.

questforSB7
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Matthews ?..Maybe. But, he has never played any LT before this season, and is more of a Hype machine because of who is famous Father was. But that is not to say he does not have skill or great physical skills. As for the Michigan Tackle Lewan...I think he is pure " Fools Gold " Has a don't care attitude, and thinks he is entitled. He was totally B!tch-slapped this season by a DE who was 80Lbs lighter then him, and against others as well. He WAS Highly recruited out of High School. And has been living on that ever since. To me, he has not distinguished himself in College. Might make a good RT, but never a LT.

IMHO...The best PURE LT in college is UNC " James Hurst " Has played at LT since his freshmen season. And has not allowed a sack in 2 + years. He is right now considered a 1st rounder. But why he is ranked so low is crazy. And I feel once the Senior Bowl, and the combines happen, this guy will be the player who you will hear about rising up draft boards.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-04-2013, 12:33 PM
he has never played any LT before this season

completely irrelevant

and is more of a Hype machine because of who is famous Father was.

not really

As for the Michigan Tackle Lewan...I think he is pure " Fools Gold " Has a don't care attitude, and thinks he is entitled.

like Clowney... right?

To me, he has not distinguished himself in College

uh huh
Rimington-Pace Award in 2012
AP and Walter Camp First Team All-American

IMHO...The best PURE LT in college is UNC " James Hurst " Has played at LT since his freshmen season. And has not allowed a sack in 2 + years. He is right now considered a 1st rounder. But why he is ranked so low is crazy. And I feel once the Senior Bowl, and the combines happen, this guy will be the player who you will hear about rising up draft boards.

Matthews is the best Pure LT and it's not even remotely close.

Hurst is a nice project LT not an elite college talent

questforSB7
10-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Hurst is a nice project LT not an elite college talent[/QUOTE]

WTF ( LOL ) Hurst has went up against some of the BEST DE's in all college football in his time, including our own Jarvis Jones, and has not given p a sack in over 30 games. He has almost 41 starts at LT to Matthews 5 games. And Lewan, you think the defenses in the Big-10 are anything close to what Hurst has already faced ? If so, then you are being laughed at by EVERYONE on this Board son. Look, if it came down to getting say the 4th pick in the draft, and lets say Matthews is there at 4, and taking him there, or being able to make a couple of trade downs, getting more picks, and still getting Hurst, then I will gladly take the Latter of those two choices.

TarlsQtr
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
James Hurst, OT, North Carolina (#68), 6’7, 305?
Other than giving up one sack to Attaochu, Hurst played a good game. He looked great in the running game especially in his ability to get to the 2nd level. He still appears to lack the ability to stand his ground when pass blocking, instead focusing on pushing the pass rusher outside of the QB. I feel like a strong player who uses more power moves, like a bull rush, could give him problems. Still see him as a late 1st to mid 2nd round guy.

K Train
10-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Hurst is a nice project LT not an elite college talent

WTF ( LOL ) Hurst has went up against some of the BEST DE's in all college football in his time, including our own Jarvis Jones, and has not given p a sack in over 30 games. He has almost 41 starts at LT to Matthews 5 games. And Lewan, you think the defenses in the Big-10 are anything close to what Hurst has already faced ? If so, then you are being laughed at by EVERYONE on this Board son. Look, if it came down to getting say the 4th pick in the draft, and lets say Matthews is there at 4, and taking him there, or being able to make a couple of trade downs, getting more picks, and still getting Hurst, then I will gladly take the Latter of those two choices.
You know how i know you are a troll? Its because of posts like this.

This is like saying chris williams was a better prospect than joe thomas because chris williams didnt give up a sack in the SEC for 3 years

Real Deal Steel
10-04-2013, 01:52 PM

This is like saying chris williams was a better prospect than joe thomas because chris williams didnt give up a sack in the SEC for 3 years

This was funny as hell!

NeilPatrickBanana
10-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Clowney on facing Hurst:
"I wasn't really impressed like I was against the guy from Michigan,'' Clowney said, referring to Wolverines' Taylor Lewan.

lol

Quest's MO is to clobber together an opinion that goes against the grain by piecemealing it together with anecdotes. He thinks it makes him look intelligent

Stone
10-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Gee....there are 32 teams which each have two tackles, I think that's 64. And Adams is ranked 68th? Who did this ranking, Adams mother?

TarlsQtr
10-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Gee....there are 32 teams which each have two tackles, I think that's 64. And Adams is ranked 68th? Who did this ranking, Adams mother?

Not every team has had the same two tackles all four games. For instance, for the Steelers they probably graded Adams, Gilbert, and Beachum.

Big T
10-06-2013, 04:41 PM
They are giving up multiple picks and are going to be looking at a big contract. Monroe is ok, but they just draft Joeckel, they need more than a somewhat injury prone LT who is going to want big money.

Plus no one isnt saying he wouldnt be worth it, people have SERIOUS trade envy around here

Now Joeckel is out for season with a fractured ankle. It would happen to the Jags lol.

Real Deal Steel
10-06-2013, 06:09 PM
When the Jags moved Monroe, that told me they were going to have a tough day running the ball. And running the ball was the only way I felt they had a chance against the Rams. Tajh Boyd is the Jags QB of the future.

TarlsQtr
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Now Joeckel is out for season with a fractured ankle. It would happen to the Jags lol.

Yeah, but that misfortune is wiped out by the good fortune of Gabbert getting hurt. :-)

Tebow would be an upgrade over Gabbert, even Henne. Lol

Big T
10-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah, but that misfortune is wiped out by the good fortune of Gabbert getting hurt. :-)

Tebow would be an upgrade over Gabbert, even Henne. Lol

Plus it would give Jags fans something to watch for. They love Tebow down there, and rightfully so. If you're going to lose, why not give the fans some excitement while they lose lol.

questforSB7
10-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Speaking of QB's. How about Josh Freeman ? Dude was a Cancer down in Tampa, a whiney little Jerk. And for the past few days he and his Camp have been talking about How Freeman will come to his " DECISION " sometime Saturday. Then they said
Freeman's " DECISION " would come Sunday sometime in the morning. Now, about 10 minutes ago, Freeman's agent said his client will make " THE DECISION " Tonight!

Who does this Idiot think he is ?....Lebron James ? :lol:

Big T
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Jay Glazer saying his decision is coming down to Minnesota, Oakland, and Buffalo is making a late push. Minnesota would be the best fit for him and the team. They have weapons on offense and he can utilize them.

Big T
10-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Jay Glazer saying his decision is coming down to Minnesota, Oakland, and Buffalo is making a late push. Minnesota would be the best fit for him and the team. They have weapons on offense and he can utilize them.

@AdamSchefter: Josh Freeman is signing with Minnesota.

TarlsQtr
10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Speaking of trades, Browns are shopping Gordon for a second round pick. Before everyone wonders why we would not pull the trigger, 1) I doubt the Browns would do it; 2) He is a punk; and 3) Our pick would be a high 2 and the Niners are in the mix with a low 2. It would be too much.

The again, we almost got a 3 for Sanders (half the player) and we do not draft 2's very well anyway. Hmmm. ;-)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258614/article/josh-gordon-the-subject-of-browns49ers-trade-talks