PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Fernando Velasco (Center/Guard)

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 02:41 PM
... as I suggested this morning

K Train
09-09-2013, 02:45 PM
never heard of him

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
never heard of him

really? Started at Center for Tennessee last year (16 games... i believe)

graded out very well on your favorite site :greengrin:
11th overall center

I wanted to sign him earlier in the process (camp), and move Pouncey to LG....

FlatsSteeler
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
never heard of him

Good Move.....Tomlins ego can't get in the way now......we may have a decent center now.....of course we still need a LG......

K Train
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
gotcha

Tennessees interior last year was Kemo/Mahan/Stapleton bad, but i have seen much of him individually enough to make an opinion

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 02:54 PM
It's a really good signing especially in the sense that Velasco has some long term value (unlike Wallace who is more of a career backup...)

Clevelandsux
09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Didn't he used to pitch for dodgers.

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Okay but, if this guy was available back when....all I see is Tomlin confirming his own stupidity. I mean all he is saying is that he kept the wrong players. I mean we have back-ups already, even for Pouncey. But, after those back-ups play less then 1 game, Tomlin is admitting that they are no good, so he signs this guy ?...A guy who has been out there all this time ?

To me, this is just further proof of Tomlin's Incompetance.

Sevenfeet
09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
It was thought that Velasco was going to keep his starting center spot on the Titans this year, not get cut entirely. He had a pretty big number attached to him but the Titans front office said that money wasn't the issue...but draw your own conclusions. He's a good center who had earned the job last year and so a number of people were a little surprised that the organization cut ties. But he's a good center and best available.

TarlsQtr
09-09-2013, 03:15 PM
But, after those back-ups play less then 1 game, Tomlin is admitting that they are no good, so he signs this guy ?...A guy who has been out there all this time ?

No. I suspect we would not have signed Velasco if Heath was back. It is not that Beachum cannot do the job but he is needed in other areas. In some ways, Beachum is one of the most important players on the team because he can play anywhere on the line. Beachum is needed at TE to block for the run game and to be available for any other in game injuries.

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 03:17 PM
No. I suspect we would not have signed Velasco if Heath was back. It is not that Beachum cannot do the job but he is needed in other areas. In some ways, Beachum is one of the most important players on the team because he can play anywhere on the line. Beachum is needed at TE to block for the run game and to be available for any other in game injuries.

But players like Malecki and Whimper were kept to be Center Back-ups...why not this guy when he had the chance ? I hope he works out. But it's still stupidity on Tomlin's part.

TarlsQtr
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Velasco was the best move. Still, we have come a long way from Mike Webster and Dermontti Dawson. In the last few years, Mahan, Hartwig, Legursky, and Beachum have all snapped the ball.

That is a slight drop off. ;-)

Clevelandsux
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
I think guy whimper might play a big part now too.

TarlsQtr
09-09-2013, 03:19 PM
But players like Malecki and Whimper were kept to be Center Back-ups...why not this guy when he had the chance ? I hope he works out. But it's still stupidity on Tomlin's part.

Two points. I suspect Velasco wanted to and knew he should start. Why would he sign to be a backup?

Why should the Steelers give him starter money (which he would want) to backup?

It takes two to sign a player.

K Train
09-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I missed the game because of a ****ing wedding, but ive been watching throughout the day. Beachem is not a bad player

Sevenfeet
09-09-2013, 03:25 PM
The other thing about Velasco is that he's fully capable of being at full speed with you guys immediately. He was in the Titans camp for the entire period until final cuts 10 days ago. It's not like he's been sitting a year without a job.

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Two points. I suspect Velasco wanted to and knew he should start. Why would he sign to be a backup?

Sorry but, I don't buy it. This guy had zero leverage a week from the start of the season. All he could hope for is if a team suffered a Injury, like we did. But he still Isn't gonna get anymore money then Back-up money at this stage, so what difference does it make ? Whether Tennesse cut him for salary purposes or whatever, if he truly had GAME...he would have been signed by someone. There are plenty of teams with huge question marks on the OL. And if you're a Center, that means you can also start at Guard. They are basically the same position, except as a Center you snap the ball. So it's good we got someone, cause we needed it. But this guy is no long term answer either.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Okay but, if this guy was available back when....all I see is Tomlin confirming his own stupidity. I mean all he is saying is that he kept the wrong players. I mean we have back-ups already, even for Pouncey. But, after those back-ups play less then 1 game, Tomlin is admitting that they are no good, so he signs this guy ?...A guy who has been out there all this time ?

the only thing you've confirmed is your own stupidity

Velasco is a starter
Wallace is a backup

you pay backups to perform a backup role (substitutions, short term fill ins)
you don't pay starter money for backups

now that they need a new STARTER, they have signed a starter caliber player

coldrolled
09-09-2013, 03:27 PM
As long as he puts on some armor plating around his knees he should be fine.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 03:29 PM

exactly

Velasco wasn't going to take the minimum to ridge the bench... but with an opportunity to start for a season and earn a long term job (somewhere), he is much more inclined to sign

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 03:30 PM
the only thing you've confirmed is your own stupidity

Velasco is a starter
Wallace is a backup

you pay backups to perform a backup role (substitutions, short term fill ins)
you don't pay starter money for backups

now that they need a new STARTER, they have signed a starter caliber player

That's ridiculous. I'm not calling anyone we have right now a better option then this guy. Which is my point. He was a starter on a O-Line. We could have gotten him 2 weeks ago. And there is NO WAY this guy was refusing any offers JUST because they could not guarantee him a starting job.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Sorry but, I don't buy it. This guy had zero leverage a week from the start of the season. All he could hope for is if a team suffered a Injury, like we did. But he still Isn't gonna get anymore money then Back-up money at this stage, so what difference does it make ? Whether Tennesse cut him for salary purposes or whatever, if he truly had GAME...he would have been signed by someone. There are plenty of teams with huge question marks on the OL. And if you're a Center, that means you can also start at Guard. They are basically the same position, except as a Center you snap the ball. So it's good we got someone, cause we needed it. But this guy is no long term answer either.

starting for a full season vs riding the bench for a full season, makes a huge difference....

guard/center are not "basically the same position"

you should take a break from making statements

NeilPatrickBanana
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
That's ridiculous. I'm not calling anyone we have right now a better option then this guy. Which is my point. He was a starter on a O-Line. We could have gotten him 2 weeks ago. And there is NO WAY this guy was refusing any offers JUST because they could not guarantee him a starting job.

it's easy to see how you have trouble understanding the move and it's easier for you to place blame on Tomlin (you mean Colbert)...

didn't you tell us just a few days ago that Willis McGahee hadn;t signed because he was holding out for more than the vet minimum?

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 03:39 PM
it's easy to see how you have trouble understanding the move and it's easier for you to place blame on Tomlin (you mean Colbert)...

didn't you tell us just a few days ago that Willis McGahee hadn;t signed because he was holding out for more than the vet minimum?

Yes I did. And there is a difference. RB's can be substituted at anytime. As where O-Linemen are not. Only because of a Injury will they go out. There is a huge difference. Look, I like the guy. He has starting experience at Guard and Center. We need that. Especially over the scrubs that Tomlin Kept. I hope he works out for us.

SuperSteelers
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
As long as he puts on some armor plating around his knees he should be fine.

Bwahahaha...so true

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 03:59 PM
His agility numbers coming out in the draft

Campus: 5.16 in the 40-yard dash … 440-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 326-pound power clean … 32 1/8-inch arm length … 10 -inch hands … Ambidextrous.

Ambidextrous...That's a bonus. That means he probably has good balance, and equal strength with either Arm.

Real Deal Steel
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I heard this guy graded out as the 11th best Center last year. If so, then why wasn't he on our roster in the first place? As bad as we've been needing O-line depth.

LatrobePA
09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Good signing, thanks for the thread.

TarlsQtr
09-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I heard this guy graded out as the 11th best Center last year. If so, then why wasn't he on our roster in the first place? As bad as we've been needing O-line depth.

Because a starter quality lineman is not going to take a huge paycut to be a backup. Think about it. Say he signed with a team as a backup. Pouncey goes down and he cannot start for the Steelers because he is languishing on the bench for another team. If he plays well for us, he then has leverage in 2014 which he does not have if he spends the season as a backup.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Zachintosh66
09-09-2013, 05:47 PM
at least they didnt bring back Legs!

Now if we can get rid of the 8-10 scrubs on our roster who have no business in a steelers uni let alone the nfl

WindyCityShaker
09-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Because a starter quality lineman is not going to take a huge paycut to be a backup. Think about it. Say he signed with a team as a backup. Pouncey goes down and he cannot start for the Steelers because he is languishing on the bench for another team. If he plays well for us, he then has leverage in 2014 which he does not have if he spends the season as a backup.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Exactly, he gambled an opportunity would come along where he would get to start, earn more than the minimum, and increase his chances to sign to a longer deal after the season.

As I stated in another thread he took control of the situation, bet on himself (and on the unfortunate possibility of an injury to someone) and his gamble paid off. The rest is determined by his performance.

Now why didn't we sign him before the season, and move Pouncey to guard......:facepalm:. It doesn't always have to be a home run signing, draft, etc. Little improvements are improvements regardless. The decision makers on this team (you know who you are) need to swallow their pride and do exactly what they tell the players to do every week, and that is put the team before yourself.

ChucktownSteeler
09-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Best option available, I guess.

ChucktownSteeler
09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
It's a really good signing especially in the sense that Velasco has some long term value (unlike Wallace who is more of a career backup...)

Who's Wallace?

ChucktownSteeler
09-09-2013, 05:54 PM
at least they didnt bring back Legs!

Now if we can get rid of the 8-10 scrubs on our roster who have no business in a steelers uni let alone the nfl

Legs has a broken leg. Never to be heard from again.

WindyCityShaker
09-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Oh I'm not complaining, if he's the best that's out there I'm ecstatic. Although I would have went to war with Beachum too, but this just adds some depth back. I couldn't stand knowing we were one high ankle sprain from seeing Whimper.

Real Deal Steel
09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Exactly, he gambled an opportunity would come along where he would get to start, earn more than the minimum, and increase his chances to sign to a longer deal after the season.

As I stated in another thread he took control of the situation, bet on himself (and on the unfortunate possibility of an injury to someone) and his gamble paid off. The rest is determined by his performance.

Now why didn't we sign him before the season, and move Pouncey to guard......:facepalm:. It doesn't always have to be a home run signing, draft, etc. Little improvements are improvements regardless. The decision makers on this team (you know who you are) need to swallow their pride and do exactly what they tell the players to do every week, and that is put the team before yourself.

No.... here's my point.

We've all had thoughts and ideas about Pouncey being moved to guard. He did a great job at guard. So, factoring in our line depth in general, why wasn't this guy signed, Pouncey moved to guard and make our overall O-line better in general anyway? We've all debated back and forth on Pouncey's best position. This guy should have been added not only for depth purposes..but to allow Pouncey to be moved to guard possibly. Sorry about not being more specific.

LatrobePA
09-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Not like Pouncey was setting the world in fire. I feel for him but he's tapered off a bit.

questforSB7
09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Not like Pouncey was setting the world in fire. I feel for him but he's tapered off a bit.

Hate seeing anyone get injured. But time to move on. He will likely never wear the Steeler uniform ever again.

Root4Stlrs
09-09-2013, 07:54 PM
It was thought that Velasco was going to keep his starting center spot on the Titans this year, not get cut entirely. He had a pretty big number attached to him but the Titans front office said that money wasn't the issue...but draw your own conclusions. He's a good center who had earned the job last year and so a number of people were a little surprised that the organization cut ties. But he's a good center and best available.

Thanks for the info, Sevenfeet!

polamalu43
09-10-2013, 12:33 AM
I like the signing, and I still think we should root around for some other OLine help out there. Why not Starks for a backup role?

Real Deal Steel
09-10-2013, 11:16 AM
I like the signing, and I still think we should root around for some other OLine help out there. Why not Starks for a backup role?

That's what I'm saying. I'm tired of seeing a lineman drop and the rest of the team quit behind it. Other teams don't just quit after a lineman goes down. Why does this team do that?? Pathetic.