PDA

View Full Version : The good, the bad, and the ugly

JensK
09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Simply put, some of my thoughts in regards to the Titans game.

The good:

There was not exactly much to be happy about this game. That said, there was some bright spots in an otherwise horrible game:

- Jarvis Jones! He got very limited time, but still managed to make one of the the two exciting defensive plays in the entire game. Sure, he was not blocked, but he still managed to lay a lick on Chris Johnson. The other play being Woodleys sack. Furthermore, I think that he did well in regards to sealing the edge. He does not look very good in coverage, but he still finds a way to be around the ball somehow, so I'm not overly concerned with that.
If I should say something bad about him, it would be that he seems to have a difficult time shedding blockers if they get ahold of him. I still think thats correctable though. Overall, he played better than Worilds who managed to have a thoroughly unimpressive and very forgetable game. Not good for him.

- Cotchery! I just do not understand why they don't play him more. Sure, he is not fast or very electrifying but he catches the ball every single time Big Ben gives him a chance (read: a fair chance). Not much bullshit, the guy is just a player

- Woodley! He is looking in good shape, but for the love of god(!!!), stop dropping him back all the time. Its such a waste of a great player

- Antonio Brown! I'm probably grasping at straws here, but he actually did have a nice game. He caught most of what was thrown his way, and ran some nice routes. Kudos I guess.

The bad:

I'm actually having difficulty finding too many points in this part of my small walkthrough, simply because most of the bad stuff that happens probably qualifies as being in "the ugly" department. Anyway, I'll try to split them up as much as possible.

- The d-line! Hear me out on this one! I would start by saying that I actually think they played better than what I expected them to do. Which is a bad thing, because they still played rather poorly. Hood made a couple of decent plays, and Keisel is always bringing it, but overall I thought Woods made more "plays" than the three starters combined, which quite frankly is a scary though. Its not that Woods is a bad player, but we have 2 first-round players who are doing practically nothing. I'm a Heyward fan, but his time is now (as in, right now), and he is not performing at all.

- Special Team! Where to begin. It should be "ugly", but then again... we did not give away points directly because our ST, so we'll throw it into "the bad" for good measure. The only time we decided to return ANYTHING was when Wheaton got impatient and made it all the way to our 6 yard line. Contrary, we managed to give them many returnable punts and kickoffs. GREAT DAMN PLAY BY THEM IN THE SAFETY THOUGH!

- Sanders! He made some nice catches, sure, but he got a bunch of chances to make some big plays, and he failed to do so. Giving credit where credit is due, Titans CBs played a very good game, but Sanders needs to come down with more of those deep balls if he wants a big contract.

- Troy! He made some really nice plays, but then proceeded to disappear from the game. We saw Clark more than Troy, although it must be said that Clark was injured twice.

The Ugly

THE REST!

No seriously, there is so much to write about here. I'll try to make it short.

- Coaching! Why not start with the atrociousness that is our coaching in general right now. We get injured all the time, we get outplayed, outcoached and outsmarted by a VERY mediocre Titans team. Should we fire Tomlin? No, that would be too dramatic, but he needs to step up right now and show that the team that he is building is capable of performing. So far, he is not doing a good job.

- Mr William Gay! I actually like Gay as a nickel corner. He is not a bad nickel. He is probably as good a cover corner as a retarded horse. That is all.

- Our o-line! I cannot say anything which has not been said already. It looked grim.

- Big Ben! **** U ON ABUT DANISH BOI???? He was thrown around all game, but he did not look pretty at all, and he should feel bad about it! He threw ducks all day long, overthrew receivers on many occasions and did not appear to have ANY spark whatsoever. Also, I hate Redman, but I'm not entirely sure that Big Ben did a very good job handing him the ball in the first-drive fumble.

- Redman! just... Redman.

- Speaking of Redman. The rest of the running game was horrible. I shall, however, use this occasion to mention Redman again. It was that bad.

I've probably forgotten quite a few atrocities, and I'm sure you'll all be more than willing to point this out.

Speeed
09-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Good points - except I disagree about Ben. The man was sacked, rushed, and knocked down the entire game. What did you expect?

steelersbabex25
09-08-2013, 06:00 PM
I thought the d line looked good. With some work I think they can get more sacks but they got a good amount of pressure on, which is all I can really ask for at this point.

questforSB7
09-08-2013, 06:01 PM
The GOOD......The Game being over with Ben NOT in a Wheel Chair!

The BAD......Mike Tomlin!!

The UGLY .........Todd Haley, and his so-called GREAT Offensive scheme in it's second season!

teeceemadison
09-08-2013, 06:03 PM
i thought troy was fine today, forced a fumble we didnt recover, the classic timing sack of the qb, a lotta tackles, etc....he had one five yard offsides penalty, all in all, a decent game....

JensK
09-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Good points - except I disagree about Ben. The man was sacked, rushed, and knocked down the entire game. What did you expect?

I expect him to be the so-called leader of this team, and he seemed as flat as any player on this team. I might be a little too harsh, but Ben played very poorly today. I don't think he should be excused just because the players around him was playing poorly. I mean... they put on 9 points on the board -- in reality 7 -- and they got them against a prevent defense in the last minute of the game. That is not all on the o-line and RBs, whom both was placed in "the ugly" section. Ben was no different.

I thought the d line looked good. With some work I think they can get more sacks but they got a good amount of pressure on, which is all I can really ask for at this point.

And that right there sums up the very issue with the d-line. We get what in truth is very mediocre performance from the d-line compared to what we should expect from it based on picks spent on the position, and we get excited. As I wrote, I thought they played better than what I expected from them, which is not to say they played well. They got some pressure, sure, but that alone is not at all good enough to excite me. But as you write "at this point" that is what we can ask for I suppose.

Speeed
09-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Scoring on a prevent defense? What they trying to prevent, a touchdown? That would be my guess. And guess what-they scored. And why? I bet because Ben made the calls I would think. His stats indicate he played an average game, even separate from the OL problems.

You could say he did not have a great game, but to say he played "poorly" is silly. What statistically, is the division between playing "poorly" and average?

I expect him to be the so-called leader of this team, and he seemed as flat as any player on this team. I might be a little too harsh, but Ben played very poorly today. I don't think he should be excused just because the players around him was playing poorly. I mean... they put on 9 points on the board -- in reality 7 -- and they got them against a prevent defense in the last minute of the game. That is not all on the o-line and RBs, whom both was placed in "the ugly" section. Ben was no different.

And that right there sums up the very issue with the d-line. We get what in truth is very mediocre performance from the d-line compared to what we should expect from it based on picks spent on the position, and we get excited. As I wrote, I thought they played better than what I expected from them, which is not to say they played well. They got some pressure, sure, but that alone is not at all good enough to excite me. But as you write "at this point" that is what we can ask for I suppose.

JensK
09-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Scoring on a prevent defense? What they trying to prevent, a touchdown? That would be my guess. And guess what-they scored. And why? I bet because Ben made the calls I would think. His stats indicate he played an average game, even separate from the OL problems.

You could say he did not have a great game, but to say he played "poorly" is silly. What statistically, is the division between playing "poorly" and average?

Obviously they attempted to prevent Steelers from scoring a touchdown - thats just a stupid point to make. Titans did what stupid teams do. They feel they just need to use up time and let the Steelers march down the field, sending 3 or 4 after Big Ben. Yes, they used up time, but they could have completely kept Steelers from the endzone had they actually cared to do so. Ben looked lost and scared under pressure. I don't blame him, but I still don't give him a "pass" because of it either. Now, I guess we're in no position to call out Titans for playing prevent, because they obviously won and they actually made Steelers use a lot of time. Still, they could not care less if Steelers actually scored a touchdown on that drive if they used up time as well. They just made sure we could not do so in a swift manner.

As for the the other discussion. An average Big Ben throws a couple of touchdowns and gives his team a chance to win. A good Big Ben scores a lot of touchdowns and flat-out win games for the Steelers. A poor Big Ben is incapable of moving the team anywhere. Refer to the first Ravens game last year, or the Eagles game a couple of years ago.

Speeed
09-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Lost and scared? Wow. That is way off. You are not fully analyzing the cause and effect; Ben was rushed the entire game. That is the entire fundamental basis of football. Rush the QB and force mistakes. The Titans did that, the Steelers did not. The outcome was obvious. I just don't understand how you can expect any QB even BR, to achieve above average stats under the circumstances in which he played today. He played "poorly" because the OL line sucks. He has no control over that.

coldrolled
09-08-2013, 07:16 PM
He played "poorly" because the OL line sucks. He has no control over that.

The Titans D watched our Redman Powerhouse RB (they chuckled) and then started really attacking our Oline.

Bell and Heath need to show up quickly.

ChucktownSteeler
09-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I thought Troy looked very good.

teeceemadison
09-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I thought Troy looked very good.
agreed

Nolrog
09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
This is not the first time I felt that Tomlin didn't have his team prepared. It seems like the first game of the year and the game out of the bye we struggle. That opening week in Baltimore 2 or 3 years ago was another. I find that very frustrating; this was a winable game, and now we're headed to Cincy for a tough match up.

steelchamp204
09-08-2013, 08:37 PM
We will be lucky next week to score 10 points going up against Harrison and CO. Ben is going to have a long night

coldrolled
09-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Monday night is a must win now.

questforSB7
09-08-2013, 09:35 PM
I won't be surprised if Cincy is 14 point favorites next week. There Isn't ONE positional player Tennessee has I would call better then any Bengal player...Not even at RB. And Cincy's Defense is sick. I predict at least 8-12 Cincy Sacks. And at least another 10 + Knockdowns on Ben.

TarlsQtr
09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow, and Suisham hurt his hammy (why the opening kickoff was a squib) in the pregame warmup. Let's hope that is not serious too.

questforSB7
09-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Wow, and Suisham hurt his hammy (why the opening kickoff was a squib) in the pregame warmup. Let's hope that is not serious too.

Yeah I can see that Injury happening to...I mean seeing as how COLD it was in Pittsburgh ( Sarcasm ) I mean how the Hell does a KICKER hurt his Hammy before the game even starts ? Just another example of Tomlin NOT getting his players in Physical condition.

KoffeeHobson
09-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Gonna need Max in there if Adams plays the same way. Vince Williams will be active next week. Hope these youngsters are ready to step up.

KoffeeHobson
09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Greg The BountyMaker Wiliams knows how to stop the Steelers.
Wimberly was killing Adams

SuperSteelers
09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Not good when the NY Giants/Dallas halftime show is about the Steelers being in trouble.

KoffeeHobson
09-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Stephens-Howling has a torn ACL

Clevelandsux
09-08-2013, 10:05 PM
surprised? howlings and jones have been injury prone there whole careers.

questforSB7
09-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Sorry for Howling. But what do you expect when you get the handoff, and less then 1/1000th of a second you have 7 defensive players right in your F'ing Grill!!

La'veon...Be afraid...be very very afraid!! :eek1: