PDA

View Full Version : 2013 season will come down to "Pressure & Takeaways "

questforSB7
09-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Okay, I know offense is Important. We need our young WR's to come through until Miller can return. I know we have to have more from our running game. But the two factors I see for us in having a playoff season are " Pressures/Sacks and
Takeaways " In our two recent SB wins in 2008 & 2005, we had 51 Sacks and 20 Interceptions in 08, and 48 Sacks and 15 Interceptions in 05. Last season, even with the # 1 ranked pass defense, we had only 10 Interceptions as a team. And that in most cases will not get it done. But more worrisome was our 37 team Sacks. Now I KNOW team sack totals don't always tell the tale, it's QB pressures as well. And in 05 we were 2nd in QB pressures. 5th in 08 to go along with our sack totals. But last season, we were 27th in QB pressures. That along with 37 sacks is why we crumbled in alot of games we should have won.

Again, NOT saying that the offense is not Important, cause it is. But to me, we have to have Woodley comeback to his form of 2 and 3 years ago. We have to have both Ziggy & Heyward combine for more then 4 1/2 total sacks. And we gotta hope that " Jarvis Jones & Worilds " combine for more then the 11 total sacks that Worilds & Harrison combined for last year.
Not saying we need to lead the league in team sacks. But I think we HAVE to Improve by at LEAST 10-12 more team sacks this season then last. And add at least 5-8 more Interceptions. We do that, and I think there is no way we don't make the playoffs in 2013. If they don't Improve on those numbers, then I feel a long horrible season is Looming for us.

But I DO believe that Woodley will have a bounce back season. And I DO believe that Jarvis is the BEST pure pass-rusher, and " Disrubtor " in this draft class, or in any recent draft class, and will show that this season.

SuperSteelers
09-04-2013, 03:36 AM
I wish it was just that easy, but there is more team dynamics at play then just turnovers and sacks that lead to a winning season.

coldrolled
09-04-2013, 07:01 AM
We have to have both Ziggy & Heyward combine for more then 4 1/2 total sacks.

Good Stats. Get the Stats of Farrior and the MLB's sack totals in 05 and 08..

This team hasn't been the same since Farrior left.

Get those sack and pressure totals and compare also. not just the DL

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 09:08 AM
We need to be able to run the ball in the red zone and convert red zone opportunities into TDs instead of field goals

K Train
09-04-2013, 09:22 AM
season needs to start already...it always comes down to pressure and takeaways, and touchdowns and field goals, and ball security and efficiency, and time of possession and stopping the run, and play action and confusion, and capitalizing on turnovers and playcalling

preseason is enough to drive a person crazy

TarlsQtr
09-04-2013, 09:27 AM
season needs to start already...it always comes down to pressure and takeaways, and touchdowns and field goals, and ball security and efficiency, and time of possession and stopping the run, and play action and confusion, and capitalizing on turnovers and playcalling

And the punter. Don't forget the punter. LOL

questforSB7
09-04-2013, 09:51 AM

You mock me...fine, okay. Anyways, thanks all for the comments. We all can breakdown a area or two as being " KEY " to our season. The running game, the pressures & takeaways, the performance of the O-line, ect. I just wanna start the season already. Oh and I want the Ravens to fall on their AZZ!!! If I'm allowed to say that here. :tt02:

questforSB7

You mock me...fine, okay. Anyways, thanks all for the comments. We all can breakdown a area or two as being " KEY " to our season. The running game, the pressures & takeaways, the performance of the O-line, ect. I just wanna start the season already. Oh and I want the Ravens to fall on their AZZ!!! If I'm allowed to say that here. :tt02:

FlatsSteeler
2013 as well as all other seasons comes down to ONE thing...............At the end of 4 qtrs or OT......the Steelers need to........Score MORE points than the team they are Playing........JUST THAT SIMPLE.........

Get7With7
09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
2013 as well as all other seasons comes down to ONE thing...............At the end of 4 qtrs or OT......the Steelers need to........Score MORE points than the team they are Playing........JUST THAT SIMPLE.........

Pretty much. Time of possession is a very overrated statistic.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Pretty much. Time of possession is a very overrated statistic.

not really

2008 : 8 of the top 14 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2009 : 8 of the top 16 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2010 : 7 of the top 13 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2011 : 8 of the top 13 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2012 : 9 of the top 14 teams in TOP made the playoffs

K Train
09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
sure, time of possession is overrated if you are scoring at will and your defense is constantly getting 3 and outs.

In which case youd be winning time of possession lol

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 11:23 AM
sure, time of possession is overrated if you are scoring at will and your defense is constantly getting 3 and outs.

In which case youd be winning time of possession lol

or if you are new orleans... in which case TOP is meaningless, but your seasons will be erratic/up & down as you consistently play in 60+ total point games. lol

Real Deal Steel
09-04-2013, 11:43 AM
When was the last time our defense had a pick/six?

Big T
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Week 12 last season against Cleveland. Lawrence Timmons.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Im pretty sure it was Timmons in the Browns game (we lost with 8 turnovers)

edit : Big T beat me to it

questforSB7
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Hopefully Allen can catch some picks that Ike drops. And hopefully Troy has a comeback player of the year like season. That right there will help us alot in the takeaway department.

LatrobePA
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
2013 season will come down to wether or not Ben can stay healthy! It's that simple!

questforSB7
09-04-2013, 12:18 PM
2013 season will come down to wether or not Ben can stay healthy! It's that simple!

Ben can be healthy, and we can still be a 7 win team, so no thats not right. Of course losing your starting QB will hurt any team. But Ben being Healthy is NOT the bottom line. Improving our pressure and getting more TO's will be. It's the reason why we lost at least 3 of those easy games last season.

LatrobePA
09-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Ben is hungry and healthy will get this team where it needs to be.

questforSB7
09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Ben is hungry and healthy will get this team where it needs to be.

As where OL Gilbert is just HUNGRY!:lol:

LatrobePA
09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
As where OL Gilbert is just HUNGRY!:lol:

And lousy.. lol

Get7With7
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
not really

2008 : 8 of the top 14 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2009 : 8 of the top 16 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2010 : 7 of the top 13 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2011 : 8 of the top 13 teams in TOP made the playoffs
2012 : 9 of the top 14 teams in TOP made the playoffs

The Steelers were #2 in time of possession - they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in 2012.

The Ravens were 30th in time of possession - they won the super bowl.

It's an irrelevant stat. The team that holds the ball longest is not guaranteed to win, especially in today's fast-paced, high-scoring NFL.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
The Steelers were #2 in time of possession - they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in 2012.

The Ravens were 30th in time of possession - they won the super bowl.

It's an irrelevant stat. The team that holds the ball longest is not guaranteed to win, especially in today's fast-paced, high-scoring NFL.

you switched from "overrated" to "irrelevant"... and in the process made your argument dumber.
(im not sure you know what "relevance" means. )

The point is that more than 66 percent of playoff teams are winning TOP statistic in the regular season, that makes it relevant over the last half decade

your example is terrible, Baltimore was 16th, San Fran was 23rd in passing... does that mean passing is "an overrated stat"?

side note : baltimore TOP sucked last year because their defense was far below it's norm. not because they were a fast paced offense

Real Deal Steel
09-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Week 12 last season against Cleveland. Lawrence Timmons.

Thanks. They come so infrequent, I don't remember them. But we definitely need more of those.

TarlsQtr
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Come on, dude. It was a joke...

questforSB7
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Come on, dude. It was a joke...

Oh I know. It's Cool my Brother. :yellowthumb:

Get7With7
09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
you switched from "overrated" to "irrelevant"... and in the process made your argument dumber.
(im not sure you know what "relevance" means. )

Guess what, TOP is both overrated and irrelevant.

The point is that more than 66 percent of playoff teams are winning TOP statistic in the regular season, that makes it relevant over the last half decade

The point is it's not the be-all-end-all stat that many Steeler fans want it to be. Where the Steelers finish in TOP will not determine the outcome of their season. Many of last year's playoff team's were middle of the pack in that regard. Scoring points trumps TOP.

your example is terrible, Baltimore was 16th, San Fran was 23rd in passing... does that mean passing is "an overrated stat"?

The two stats aren't related. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

side note : baltimore TOP sucked last year because their defense was far below it's norm. not because they were a fast paced offense

How good or bad their defense was had nothing to do with it. The fact was that the Ravens were looking to score and their offense wasn't concerned about babysitting their defense.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Guess what, TOP is both overrated and irrelevant.

calling it irrelevant is moronic.

The point is it's not the be-all-end-all stat that many Steeler fans want it to be. Where the Steelers finish in TOP will not determine the outcome of their season. Many of last year's playoff team's were middle of the pack in that regard. Scoring points trumps TOP.

no one said it was the be-all-end-all stat. But it is CERTAINLY, relevant. That's not debatable if you operate in a fact based world.

I could use the same narrow minded viewpoint that you attempted to use, regarding points. New Orleans 3rd, New York 7th... no playoffs

There are many relevant stats, some more important (pts) than others (top)... but to call TOP irrelevant is simply ignorant on your part.

The two stats aren't related. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

What I was getting at was your choice to cherry pick data, in support of your false claim

How good or bad their defense was had nothing to do with it. The fact was that the Ravens were looking to score and their offense wasn't concerned about babysitting their defense

also factually wrong...

Baltimore:
2011 TOP : 10th
Run Def : 2nd
Pass Def : 4th
Run Off : 10th
Pass Off : 19th

2012 TOP : 30th
Run Def : 20th
Pass Def : 17th
Run Off : 11th
Pass Off : 15th

Their offense stayed pretty much the same, but their Defense fell off a cliff, and THAT is what drove their time of possession drop from 2011 to 2012

try harder

coldrolled
09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Wouldn't turnovers ruin a games TOP outcome dramitcally depending on the number of turnovers in short scoring redzone areas and special teams scoring points.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Yea turnovers have a big impact on TOP

Get7With7
09-04-2013, 08:02 PM
calling it irrelevant is moronic.

no one said it was the be-all-end-all stat. But it is CERTAINLY, relevant. That's not debatable if you operate in a fact based world.

I could use the same narrow minded viewpoint that you attempted to use, regarding points. New Orleans 3rd, New York 7th... no playoffs

There are many relevant stats, some more important (pts) than others (top)... but to call TOP irrelevant is simply ignorant on your part.

What I was getting at was your choice to cherry pick data, in support of your false claim

also factually wrong...

Baltimore:
2011 TOP : 10th
Run Def : 2nd
Pass Def : 4th
Run Off : 10th
Pass Off : 19th

2012 TOP : 30th
Run Def : 20th
Pass Def : 17th
Run Off : 11th
Pass Off : 15th

Their offense stayed pretty much the same, but their Defense fell off a cliff, and THAT is what drove their time of possession drop from 2011 to 2012

try harder

Defenses don't possess the ball. So no, those stats you showed regarding Baltimore's defense have nothing to do with TOP.

Try harder.

Wouldn't turnovers ruin a games TOP outcome dramitcally depending on the number of turnovers in short scoring redzone areas and special teams scoring points.

Turnovers and special teams do have an impact on TOP. If you get a big special teams plays, or the defense gives an offense a short field after a turnover, that offense isn't going to possess the ball very long. Just another reason the stat gets overrated.

Now if you have a slim lead late in the fourth quarter it would be nice to see the offense hold onto the ball. However, that doesn't mean they have to win TOP for the entire game. That's one reason the Steelers offense was crappy last year. Every drive had to be this long, grind-it-out, 10 minute drive and more often than not it worked against the Steelers.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Defenses don't possess the ball. So no, those stats you showed regarding Baltimore's defense have nothing to do with TOP.

Try harder.

congratulations. you've proudly proved your ignorance.