PDA

View Full Version : Felix Jones....WHY?

Real Deal Steel
09-02-2013, 03:33 PM
From behindthesteelcurtain.com

Felix Jones ran the stretch better than anyone else, that's why he's still on the Steelers
By Paper Champions on Aug 31 2013, 7:00p

How do you help a struggling offensive line? Run the stretch zone. Felix Jones may be the beneficiary of the recent woes of the Steeler offensive line.

The stretch zone helps out an offensive line because you do not have to push a defender back off of the ball. Instead, you are stretching the defense vertically. Moreover, the stretch zone sets up a beautiful play action pass. This play action helps to slow down an opposing pash rush.

The key to a stretch zone is having a running back that can find the seams in the defense as it is being stretched. Simply, Felix Jones did this consistently better than any Steeler back this preseason. Jones may no longer have the pedigree of a number one draft pick, and that's fine. What he can do, however, is put the Steelers in 2nd and 7 instead of 2nd and 12. Jonathan Dwyer did not make enough big runs to justify the amount of times he put the Steelers in 2nd and 12.

Jones also gives the Steelers another option to use in the passing game and the return game. Jones may have found himself in a perfect situation in Pittsburgh. The Steelers may have found a productive player in 2013 for the price of an outside linebacker that was going to be cut anyways.

Real Deal Steel
09-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Jones and Bell could end up being a thunder/lighting combo.

Also, in you mind, compare Felix Jones to Willie Parker.

questforSB7
09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't mind Felix. However, he has had Injury issues in the past. Also, I see he and Howling as simular RB's. And if Redman gets hurt early on, who is our bigger RB ? Hopefully Bell can make it back really soon, get some Reps, and hopefully be the RB that the Steelers thought when they drafted him.

K Train
09-03-2013, 10:27 AM
I think Bell and Jones can be something to be excited about in a ZBS

Real Deal Steel
09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I think Bell and Jones can be something to be excited about in a ZBS

That's how I'm feeling. I think that with both of them, we could really have a run game that will take some real pressure off of Ben. Give us the balance we need and dare I say it....establish a real play action pass? Forcing those safties to have to come down in the box against the run, allowing Brown and Sanders one-on-one opportunities. That's the scenario we all want..and Wheaton in the slot??? I'm salivating.

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 11:41 AM
That's how I'm feeling. I think that with both of them, we could really have a run game that will take some real pressure off of Ben. Give us the balance we need and dare I say it....establish a real play action pass? Forcing those safties to have to come down in the box against the run, allowing Brown and Sanders one-on-one opportunities. That's the scenario we all want..and Wheaton in the slot??? I'm salivating.

You're Salivating over Felix Jones ?....A RB that not ONE SINGLE NFL team had any Interest in during free agency ?..Including us. And when he WAS finally brought into Philly...most likely as a a Camp body, couldn't even get any playing time. THIS is the RB you are Salivating over ?

:dontgetit:

NeilPatrickBanana
09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
You're Salivating over Felix Jones ?....A RB that not ONE SINGLE NFL team had any Interest in during free agency ?..Including us. And when he WAS finally brought into Philly...most likely as a a Camp body, couldn't even get any playing time. THIS is the RB you are Salivating over ?

hmmmm kind of contradictory don't you think?

I'm excited about Jones.
He costs nothing
He's a good return man
He has plenty of NFL experience
He is tailor made for a zone scheme
He showed better feet/vision than any back during the pre-season (we didn't get to see Bell/Redman but for a few touches)

His first series of the pre-season was against the first team defense... it was the best running series of the pre-season

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 11:51 AM
hmmmm kind of contradictory don't you think?

I'm excited about Jones.
He costs nothing
He's a good return man
He has plenty of NFL experience
He is tailor made for a zone scheme
He showed better feet/vision than any back during the pre-season (we didn't get to see Bell/Redman but for a few touches)

His first series of the pre-season was against the first team defense... it was the best running series of the pre-season

Jones NEVER played during the preseason against ANYONES 1st team defense. Thats a flat out Lie. And he has been a disappointment since being drafted. Yes I agree he costs us nothing, but lets not get overly excited about a former 1st round BUST who has a History of Injuries and durability Issues who NO ONE wanted during Free agency.
Keep it real Brother.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Jones NEVER played during the preseason against ANYONES 1st team defense. Thats a flat out Lie. And he has been a disappointment since being drafted. Yes I agree he costs us nothing, but lets not get overly excited about a former 1st round BUST who has a History of Injuries and durability Issues who NO ONE wanted during Free agency.
Keep it real Brother.

I suggest you not accuse me of lying anymore

Felix Jones entered the game in the 2nd quarter versus Kansas City. Do you think Kansas City pulled their 1st team defense in the 2nd quarter of the 3rd pre-season game?

1st and 10 at KC 34 F.Jones up the middle to KC 34 for no gain (D.Johnson).
3rd and 13 at PIT 34 (Shotgun) F.Jones left end to PIT 41 for 7 yards (D.Johnson; E.Berry).
1st and 10 at PIT 18 F.Jones up the middle to PIT 23 for 5 yards (D.Poe, A.Jordan).
2nd and 5 at PIT 23 F.Jones left guard to PIT 26 for 3 yards (T.Hali, D.Poe).

That's their starting defense... that played into the 3rd quarter

check yourself

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Your best argument is a KC defense ( LOL ) Look, like I said, I don't mind the Jones trade. I mean it cost us nothing. But, do you really think Jones History as a player, and his pedigree as a RB is any better then say IF the Steelers would have say signed free agent RB Willis McGahee to the SAME Vet minimum deal that we are paying Felix Jones ? I mean what possible argument can you use to say Felix Jones is better then Willis McGahee ? I mean Jones has a WAY WORSE History of Injuries then Willis has had. Willis McGahee in 2011 was a Pro Bowl RB. Even last year in 10 games McGahee had 731 Yds, and MORE rushing TD's then Felix Jones has EVER had in a season!! And Willis McGahee is a even BETTER Receiver out of the Backfield then Jones is.

So, if we would have signed Willis McGahee, and NOT traded for Jones, I will bet MY LIFE you would still be here Pimping Willis McGahee as a GREAT pick-up, and combination Duo to go along with Bell. Bottom line, stop acting like Felix "F'Ing " Jones is some kind of All-World Acquisition...cause he is not.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Your best argument is a KC defense ( LOL )

Don;t be a clown. Stand up, and say you were wrong.
I wasn't making an argument. I stated a fact, you said I was a liar, I supplied the facts, and then you tried to hide behind a new argument instead of being a man.

Look, like I said, I don't mind the Jones trade. I mean it cost us nothing. But, do you really think Jones History as a player, and his pedigree as a RB is any better then say IF the Steelers would have say signed free agent RB Willis McGahee to the SAME Vet minimum deal that we are paying Felix Jones ? I mean what possible argument can you use to say Felix Jones is better then Willis McGahee ? I mean Jones has a WAY WORSE History of Injuries then Willis has had. Willis McGahee in 2011 was a Pro Bowl RB. Even last year in 10 games McGahee had 731 Yds, and MORE rushing TD's then Felix Jones has EVER had in a season!! And Willis McGahee is a even BETTER Receiver out of the Backfield then Jones is.

Felix Jones has missed 6 games in the last 4 years.
McGahee is washed up, and has missed more games over the last 4 years.
McGahee is a 32 year old RB with over 2200 touches.... he's done. There is a reason NO ONE has signed him.

Stop looking at the stat sheet for all your information, and try watching the games a little closer... since you clearly don't pay enough attention

So, if we would have signed Willis McGahee, and NOT traded for Jones, I will bet MY LIFE you would still be here Pimping Willis McGahee as a GREAT pick-up, and combination Duo to go along with Bell. Bottom line, stop acting like Felix "F'Ing " Jones is some kind of All-World Acquisition...cause he is not.

There we conversations on this board about Mcgahee a few weeks ago. I said signing him would be idiotic.

Bottom line, stop using hyperbole (i never said felix jones was an "all world acquistion" or anything remotely close) and making accusations when you don't know what you are talking about.

Get7With7
09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Your best argument is a KC defense ( LOL ) Look, like I said, I don't mind the Jones trade. I mean it cost us nothing. But, do you really think Jones History as a player, and his pedigree as a RB is any better then say IF the Steelers would have say signed free agent RB Willis McGahee to the SAME Vet minimum deal that we are paying Felix Jones ? I mean what possible argument can you use to say Felix Jones is better then Willis McGahee ? I mean Jones has a WAY WORSE History of Injuries then Willis has had. Willis McGahee in 2011 was a Pro Bowl RB. Even last year in 10 games McGahee had 731 Yds, and MORE rushing TD's then Felix Jones has EVER had in a season!! And Willis McGahee is a even BETTER Receiver out of the Backfield then Jones is.

Somebody likes to make knee-jerk reactions.....

We aren't saying Felix Jones is an "All-World Acquisition," we're just saying he's better than Isaac Redman and better suited for the ZBS the Steelers have spent all of training camp hyping up.

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Don;t be a clown. Stand up, and say you were wrong.
I wasn't making an argument. I stated a fact, you said I was a liar, I supplied the facts, and then you tried to hide behind a new argument instead of being a man.

Felix Jones has missed 6 games in the last 4 years.
McGahee is washed up, and has missed more games over the last 4 years.
McGahee is a 32 year old RB with over 2200 touches.... he's done. There is a reason NO ONE has signed him.

Stop looking at the stat sheet for all your information, and try watching the games a little closer... since you clearly don't pay enough attention

There we conversations on this board about Mcgahee a few weeks ago. I said signing him would be idiotic.

Bottom line, stop using hyperbole (i never said felix jones was an "all world acquistion" or anything remotely close) and making accusations when you don't know what you are talking about.

Willis McGahee is holding out for more then the Vet minimum, that is why he wasn't signed early on. But teams HAVE been looking at him. The Giants are right now. And he is not 32, but 31, and he is hardly used up. His numbers last year in 10 games are better then ANY season Jones ever had...argue that son ? And to the other guy...why is Jones better for a ZBS ? Dallas never used it there....I just checked. So why is he better then Redman ?

K Train
09-03-2013, 12:26 PM
if you ask why jones is better for a zone system than redman then you are clueless. Redman could not be a worse fit if he tried

The fact that you had to just check to see dallas never used a zone system solidifies your ignorance to the schematics, he was a bad fit for their primarily trap based run game and on top of that they had pretty poor interior blockers his whole time there.

Theres a reason they traded for him and theres a reason he made the team, haley will really like having a back like jones. He might not be fantasy relevant, but if thats what people base a 2nd/3rd string RB pickup on then thats a problem in its own right

NeilPatrickBanana
09-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Willis McGahee is holding out for more then the Vet minimum, that is why he wasn't signed early on. But teams HAVE been looking at him. The Giants are right now. And he is not 32, but 31, and he is hardly used up. His numbers last year in 10 games are better then ANY season Jones ever had...argue that son ? And to the other guy...why is Jones better for a ZBS ? Dallas never used it there....I just checked. So why is he better then Redman ?

So you have confirmed that you aren't man enough to acknowledge when you are wrong. good to know.

Mcgahee will be 32 in October...
You also ignore the history of wear and tear on backs over 30, with over 2000 touches... its a fact of life in the NFL
Mcgahee was cut by the broncos because they knew his knees are done...
His age and injury history, combine for a back who no longer has the speed or agility to function in a zone scheme.

You also brought up a good point, but failed to realize what it meant and properly analyze in the context of Jones/ZBS. Jones skill set is tailor made for a Zone scheme, he is a cut back runner. He has the speed to get inside the hole, and cut the zone. Dallas did NOT use a ZBS system, and that is a primary reason why Jones was never successful there.

McGahee played behind a great line, with a QB that prevented defenses from stacking the box, the Broncos squeezed every last bit of juice out of McGahee.

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
if you ask why jones is better for a zone system than redman then you are clueless. Redman could not be a worse fit if he tried

The fact that you had to just check to see dallas never used a zone system solidifies your ignorance to the schematics, he was a bad fit for their primarily trap based run game and on top of that they had pretty poor interior blockers his whole time there.

Theres a reason they traded for him and theres a reason he made the team, haley will really like having a back like jones. He might not be fantasy relevant, but if thats what people base a 2nd/3rd string RB pickup on then thats a problem in its own right

Then if you say there is a reason why the steelers traded for Jones, and kept him. Then you are also saying that there is a good reason for Redman being our starter IF Tomlin decides to go that way...right ? Then that right there should be the end of the discussion cause CLEARLY...Mike Tomlin and his coaches know more about what player is better suited to start in what system then you are, or me for that matter...right ?

TarlsQtr
09-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Exactly. Wallace's lack of production last season was as much the fault of the poor running game as it was him being a b!tch. The opponents had no respect for our run game and locked down on him. A good running game and play action will open routes for the WR and protect Ben.

coldrolled
09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
protect Ben.

??? No OL can protect Ben from Ben...

TarlsQtr
09-03-2013, 01:03 PM

LOL Well, you do have a point.

I would like to see a few seconds for Ben before he starts running for his life though.

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
LOL Well, you do have a point.

I would like to see a few seconds for Ben before he starts running for his life though.

Yeah, and I would like to find Angelina Jolie NAKED in my bed tonight to.....sad thing is, there's a BETTER chance of that happening then Ben getting even 3 seconds of OL protection from our OL! :fcs:

NeilPatrickBanana
09-03-2013, 01:22 PM
The median time to sack in the NFL is 2.7-2.8 seconds

A sack of 1.7 seconds or less is generally because a player "came free"
A sack of 1.8-2.8 seconds is generally because the offensive line failed to hold protection long enough for a QB to make his full progression of reads
A sack that happens at 2.8- 3.0 seconds is generally because a QB did not make his reads quick enough OR the coverage was perfect
A sack that happens after 3.0 seconds is generally the QBs fault entirely

The Steelers offensive line has taken a beating in terms of criticism over the years, when one of the attributes that makes Ben great (freestyle), also is the primary driver of his sack numbers...

Roethlisberger’s sack percentage doubled when he held the ball for longer than three seconds -- seven percent for passes of 2.1 to 3.0 seconds, 14 percent for passes that took between 3.1 and 4.0 seconds. Interestingly, his quarterback rating, yards per attempt and first down percentage all dipped when he held the ball for more than three seconds, so it’s difficult to say that holding the ball longer really pays off for Roethlisberger.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-03-2013, 01:23 PM

exactly

Real Deal Steel
09-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Yes...I'm salivating at the thought of what Bell with Jones can do for the running game. Neither one has to carry the whole load but if they both get 12-13 carries a game, it could keep both healthy and fresh. That's what I"m thinking about.

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Yes...I'm salivating at the thought of what Bell with Jones can do for the running game. Neither one has to carry the whole load but if they both get 12-13 carries a game, it could keep both healthy and fresh. That's what I"m thinking about.

12 to 13 carries a game would be over 200 total carries. Jones has never had 200 carries. And 185 three years ago was his most. Never been close to that in any other season. At BEST Felix is a RB who would spell say 3 series at most as a situational runner, or receiver. Bell is a workhorse. Needs at LEAST 18-20 plus solid carries a game, or it's pointless to have him here.

TarlsQtr
09-03-2013, 02:32 PM
12 to 13 carries a game would be over 200 total carries. Jones has never had 200 carries. And 185 three years ago was his most. Never been close to that in any other season. At BEST Felix is a RB who would spell say 3 series at most as a situational runner, or receiver. Bell is a workhorse. Needs at LEAST 18-20 plus solid carries a game, or it's pointless to have him here.

I do not think that ANYONE is saying that Jones should/will start over Bell upon his return. Bell is probably going to miss somewhere between 1-4 weeks.

Real Deal Steel
09-03-2013, 04:08 PM

disagree totally. Bell doesn't need 18-20 carries to be effective. There are too many RBBC in this league that shoot that idea in the foot. Bell can be effective with 12-13 carries

K Train
09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
again...people thinking in terms of fantasy football

connecticutsteel
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
I suggest you not accuse me of lying anymore

Felix Jones entered the game in the 2nd quarter versus Kansas City. Do you think Kansas City pulled their 1st team defense in the 2nd quarter of the 3rd pre-season game?

1st and 10 at KC 34 F.Jones up the middle to KC 34 for no gain (D.Johnson).
3rd and 13 at PIT 34 (Shotgun) F.Jones left end to PIT 41 for 7 yards (D.Johnson; E.Berry).
1st and 10 at PIT 18 F.Jones up the middle to PIT 23 for 5 yards (D.Poe, A.Jordan).
2nd and 5 at PIT 23 F.Jones left guard to PIT 26 for 3 yards (T.Hali, D.Poe).

That's their starting defense... that played into the 3rd quarter

check yourself BEFORE YOU WRECK YO SELF BROTHER AND QUEST DO YOU REALLY THINK DWYER IS ABETTER OPTION AT LEAST JONES HAS HANDS

Real Deal Steel
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
again...people thinking in terms of fantasy football

must be.