PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Winning QB's is an Elite club

BlackGold4vr
02-11-2007, 03:58 PM
With so many teams and QB's who have won the Superbowl multiple times the actual number of winners is smaller than most people think. Here is the list:

1. Terry Bradshaw X 4
2. Joe Montana X 4
3. Troy Aikman X 3
4. Tom Brady X 3
5. John Elway X 2
6. Roger Staubach X 2
7. Bob Griese X 2
8. Bart Starr X 2
9. Jim Plunkett X 2
10. Joe Namath X 1
11. Lenny Dawson X 1
12. Johnny Unitas X 1
13. Ken Stabler X 1
14. Joe Theismann X 1
15. Jim McMahon X 1
16 Phil Simms X 1
17. Doug Williams X 1
18. Jeff Hostetler X 1
19. Mark Rypien X 1
20. Steve Young X 1
21. Brett Favre X 1
22. Kurt Warner X 1
23. Trent Dilfer X 1
24. Brad Johnson X 1
25. Ben Roethlisburger X 1
26. Peyton Manning X 1

41 Superbowls played and only 26 winning Superbowl QB's
Thats an elite list and why we need to make sure Ben is locked up for the rest of his career as a Steeler! He didn't win the Superbowl by himself but we couldn't have made that incredible playoff run without him! He actually played a lot better in the 3 playoff games before the Superbowl but he also played well enough in the SB for us to come away with the win! There isn't another player on the roster IMO more valuable to our teams future success than Big Ben! Lets get him signed to a long term deal!

:beer3:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
That is interesting when you sit there and think about all the SB's that have been played and how many times teams have repeated. :eek: I never realized it was that small of a list with the QB's !

We've been waiting since Bradshaw for the Steelers to find a franchise QB that we can call our own. No more Bubby's, Neil's, Cliff Stoudts, Mark Malones, Kordell's, Kent Grahams, and the like just filling in a roster spot while the rest of the team pulls the majority of the weight. Ben is our guy, he led us to a SB and we definitely couldn't have done it without him. It took us far too long to get a franchise QB so I definitely want to hang onto him !

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Well I'm the biggest Ben fan around. But I want to see how he bounces back from the tough year he had last year before the Steelers sign him long term. There is a chance that Ben maybe never be the same. Plus even though I'm a fan of Ben's the dude has to put in the work to be great. To much has come to light of Ben having a questionable work ethic so there has to be some truth to that.

This is going to be huge year for Big Ben and hopefully he puts the work in to be the QB we know he can be.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I think we're all hoping we see Ben get recommitted to this gig of being our QB. Im anxious to see how he's going to do in camp, and pre season; but Im almost more anxious to hear what he's doing this offseason to get ready for 2007.

he talked about working out with his WR's this summer so lets' hope he sticks to that and has his butt at UPMC watching film all year long too.

BlackGold4vr
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Well I'm the biggest Ben fan around. But I want to see how he bounces back from the tough year he had last year before the Steelers sign him long term. There is a chance that Ben maybe never be the same. Plus even though I'm a fan of Ben's the dude has to put in the work to be great. To much has come to light of Ben having a questionable work ethic so there has to be some truth to that.

In the last 41 years there have been hundreds if not a thousand players who have played the position of QB and never even sniffed a championship! Think about the HOF players who never won a SB. Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly.......to name a few. Ben is still young and has enjoyed success that normally takes QB's much longer to reach. Just ask Peyton! The downside to that is I think people expect him to have the maturity of a 7 or 8 year seasoned QB. He has only played 3 years! 1 Superbowl victory and played in 2 of the last 3 AFC championship games.......not a bad resume!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
In the last 41 years there have been hundreds if not a thousand players who have played the position of QB and never even sniffed a championship! Think about the HOF players who never won a SB. Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly.......to name a few. Ben is still young and has enjoyed success that normally takes QB's much longer to reach. Just ask Peyton! The downside to that is I think people expect him to have the maturity of a 7 or 8 year seasoned QB. He has only played 3 years! 1 Superbowl victory and played in 2 of the last 3 AFC championship games.......not a bad resume!

This is my problem with some of you. Just because I don't put these players on a pedestal you think I'm bashing them. Sorry but I don't tend to overrate players like most fans do with their favorite teams.

I like Ben and he had a very good start to his career. But he was far from a finished product as an NFL QB. I said the Steelers don't even make the Super Bowl without Ben's play in the play-offs last year but that doesn't mean he is a franchise QB or one of the best QB's in the NFL yet.

I think the sky is the limit for Ben and I think he can be great but he isn't there yet even with a Super Bowl ring. I guess Trent Dilfer was great with his Super Bowl win also?:bluelol:

As for that maturity you speak of. I don't think mature QB's throw into double coverage like Ben does. Plus Ben is very poor when reading zone defenses and has a habit of throwing off his back foot. Again not signs of a mature QB.

Again I repeat it doesn't mean I think Ben sucks or didn't play a part in the Steelers success in 2004 and 2005. But just pointing out the flaws in his game and stating he hasn't become a franchise QB yet. Doesn't mean he won't but I want to see more. Man sorry I'm not ready to put Ben in Canton and ready for the Steelers to lock him up long term. Jesus Christ:bluelol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Ben indeed has a long way to go. I'd say there's not 1 player on this roster right now that doesnt have room for improvement over 2007. That's the attitude they have to take going in, and with Ben especially he needs to reevaluate himself just like everyone else.

He did indeed enjoy more success than anybody else in NFL history in his first 3 years but even with all that he's got a lot of room to grow. I've got all the faith in him in the world to have a good year and be the guy we need him to be. One thing Im anxious to see is how much he rebounds this year and how quickly he does it. That will give us a good indication of if last year was an apparition or a sign of things to come.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I never said I didn't have faith in him. Hey I have been a fan of Ben's since he was in college. But that doesn't I'm going to constantly sing his praises and ready to put him in the Hall of Fame like some in the Steelers Nation was ready to do after his first two years.

I think having Ben at QB was critical in the success of the team in 2004 and 2005. But to say he was a great QB is a bit much and to say the Steelers should lock him up long term is crazy. Especially coming off the year he just had. Hell Ben's contract is up what after 2008 or 2009? So we have time.

DIESELMAN
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
That is a awe inspiring list that Ben is included on. These are my thoughts on Ben. He got the starting job because of injuries, ok thats cool, a lot of QB's would've lost that gig back to the original starter when he came back. Ben didn't lose it, he fought for it and kept it with his play and abilities. When he first got into the league he was a hungry rookie, when given the chance he proved he was worth the pick. Winning the Super Bowl was great but having all that success early in his career probably didn't help his work ethic any. After all the drama he went through last season he still showed up to play. Granted he didn't have good games all the time but it was the adversity he was fighting against and I think he passed with flying colors. A lot of players would've given up or begged the coach to let him sit it out but not Ben he showed up every sunday and played and gutted it out. Just last season alone should've built his character and made him realize what really needs to be done in this league to stay on top as winners. He got a lesson worth about 2-3 seasons all in one year. Lets do this Ben....Show us what the **** you are made of!!!!!!!!!!

BlackGold4vr
02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
As for that maturity you speak of. I don't think mature QB's throw into double coverage like Ben does. Plus Ben is very poor when reading zone defenses and has a habit of throwing off his back foot. Again not signs of a mature QB.

You completely misunderstood what I just said! I stated that the downside to the early success that he has enjoyed is that people have higher expectations of him. I did NOT say that he plays with maturity! I think people expect him to play like a 7 or 8 year vet because of his early success.
Patience is what is required here! After Montana won his first SB it took him 3 years before he won another. Im sure Bill Walsh is glad he stuck with him! After Montana won his second SB it took him another 4 years before he won his third.....again patience was rewarded! Not every QB can enjoy the success that Tom Brady or Terry Bradshaw did with multiple championships in a short period of time! Ben had a bad year.......I remember Bradshaw had a few of those also.......glad Noll stuck with him! Took Peyton 11 years! Im not ready to throw Big Ben under the bus just yet. Im thinking he will have a few more great seasons before he is done and I am hoping they will be in the black and gold!

:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
That is a awe inspiring list that Ben is included on. These are my thoughts on Ben. He got the starting job because of injuries, ok thats cool, a lot of QB's would've lost that gig back to the original starter when he came back. Ben didn't lose it, he fought for it and kept it with his play and abilities. When he first got into the league he was a hungry rookie, when given the chance he proved he was worth the pick. Winning the Super Bowl was great but having all that success early in his career probably didn't help his work ethic any. After all the drama he went through last season he still showed up to play. Granted he didn't have good games all the time but it was the adversity he was fighting against and I think he passed with flying colors. A lot of players would've given up or begged the coach to let him sit it out but not Ben he showed up every sunday and played and gutted it out. Just last season alone should've built his character and made him realize what really needs to be done in this league to stay on top as winners. He got a lesson worth about 2-3 seasons all in one year. Lets do this Ben....Show us what the **** you are made of!!!!!!!!!!

Nice post man. I agree with alot in that post. There wasn't a person more happy then me when Ben fell to us in the 2004 draft. I have followed Ben since his Miami of Ohio days. One of my friends went to Ball State which is a Mac school which I'm sure you know Diesel (just saying that for those who don't know).

But I went to a Ball State game and I saw Ben first hand just tear up Ball State. From that day on I was a fan and wanted him to be a Steeler. I just want Ben to become the QB I think he can be.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
You completely misunderstood what I just said! I stated that the downside to the early success that he has enjoyed is that people have higher expectations of him. I did NOT say that he plays with maturity! I think people expect him to play like a 7 or 8 year vet because of his early success.
Patience is what is required here! After Montana won his first SB it took him 3 years before he won another. Im sure Bill Walsh is glad he stuck with him! After Montana won his second SB it took him another 4 years before he won his third.....again patience was rewarded! Not every QB can enjoy the success that Tom Brady or Terry Bradshaw did with multiple championships in a short period of time! Ben had a bad year.......I remember Bradshaw had a few of those also.......glad Noll stuck with him! Took Peyton 11 years! Im not ready to throw Big Ben under the bus just yet. Im thinking he will have a few more great seasons before he is done and I am hoping they will be in the black and gold!

:tt02:

I'm far from throwing Ben under the Bus. I think pointing out areas of his game that need work on is not throwing him under the bus. As for the long term no I don't think the Steelers should lock him up long term yet. He needs to show he can bounce back from his tough year first.

DIESELMAN
02-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Nice post man. I agree with alot in that post. There wasn't a person more happy then me when Ben fell to us in the 2004 draft. I have followed Ben since his Miami of Ohio days. One of my friends went to Ball State which is a Mac school which I'm sure you know Diesel (just saying that for those who don't know).

But I went to a Ball State game and I saw Ben first hand just tear up Ball State. From that day on I was a fan and wanted him to be a Steeler. I just want Ben to become the QB I think he can be.

The biggest critic of a player is usually the biggest fan of that player. I've known you for a bit BGF and you've always been the biggest fan of Big Ben. :bigthumb: I hope we do lock him in for a good while, he WILL come around and he WILL bring us more championships.

BlackGold4vr
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm far from throwing Ben under the Bus. I think pointing out areas of his game that need work on is not throwing him under the bus. As for the long term no I don't think the Steelers should lock him up long term yet. He needs to show he can bounce back from his tough year first.

No doubt he has a lot of room to improve. I am excited about where the ceiling might be on his potential when he actually starts working to improve his game! There are 13 teams in the NFL that have NEVER won a championship! I think Ben IS our franchise QB already! Do I think they are preparing his place in Canton yet........no! How many years did we give Kordell to bring his game to the next level? Surely if we can have patience with a crappy QB we can display a little for a guy who has already done more for the franchise than the aforementioned did in his career! Should I put together the list for you of HOF QB's who just won a single championship? How about the list of HOF QB's who never won a championship? Of course Ben's career is far from over and only time will tell what his legacy will be when its over. The only thing that would be more painful that watching Bill Cowher hoist a Lombardi trophy with another team would be watching Big Ben do the same! Hope I never see it!

BlitzburghNation
02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
:popcorn: Agree with alot of everyone's points :clap: I want ben signed to a long term deal :bigthumb: I'm giving him a pass on last season for all the obvious reasons, he's not perfect but no QB is and he will develope
into a top 5 QB eventually :greengrin: Hell he's already in the top 10 :tt02: