PDA

View Full Version : I Am Sick Of The "Preseason" Mantra

Speeed
08-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Every year. Last year. The year before. Next year. The year after . . .

Preseason does not count until a player or team someone has interest in does well. They will defend them and use the defacto "preseason" argument if they play bad, loud them if they play the well. If a team looks like crap in preseason, in comparison to other teams, that is a problem.

If preseason is not so important, or insightful, why is it part of the schedule? Why even have it? I would think coaches would argue it is important. They want to see touchdowns, special teams plays, completions, long runs, it is their metric for making cuts. And don't kid yourselves about the score, they want to win. Preseason is an excuse to suck. Of course players, coaches, and teams want to win, it is human nature.

Preseason is important. I read a quote, maybe here, from an expert more learned than I,that stated something to the effect that "Preseason does not count, but it matters."

I personally like to judge a team on it's preseason performance. We all know teams run "vanilla schemes." The team is running their "vanilla schemes" against the other team's "vanilla schemes." Preseason is underated and overrated at the same time - many fans seem to dismiss poor performance as "preseason" and simultaneously project wins with a successful preseason performance.

I don't know what to think. My layman's assessment of the Steeler preseason is the OL will be inconsistent, they get way to many penalties, and their special teams are a major problem. Those are actual observations in preseason against other teams in preseason; and might I add, problems that have plagued the team for years. If not for Ben, this team would be fighting Cleveland for third place.

Clevelandsux
08-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Agreed. So sick of people saying its only preseason. I know I would have felt better had we won a few games. And people saying cut the preseason to two games. That's crap! The preseason really isn't for us fans, its a dress rehearsal for players and coaches.

But from what I've seen, it's been a bad rehearsal for many. Including oline and special teams.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Only team to win the Super Bowl after going 0-4 in the pre-season was the 82 Redskins......Only teams to reach the Super Bowl after a winless pre-season were the 1990 Bills and 2000 New York Giants.....Just something to ponder....

Clevelandsux
08-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Steelers were 0-4 in 2006. Started 2-6, finished 8-8 while trying to defend there sb xl win. Coaches always want to instill a winning attitude going into the regular season. If you ponder losing, it becomes contagious.

SuperSteelers
08-25-2013, 10:40 PM
In my eyes if they aren't playing well in preseason with the vanilla stuff I can't image it getting much better with the hard stuff. When I compare the Steelers to other teams during the preseason you can clearly see that the Steelers are not there yet.

DBR96A
08-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Pre-season is important, but not for the usual reasons. It's when coaches evaluate players and tinker with their playbooks. The final scores and records don't matter, and there are no game plans aside from when the starters play in the third game -- and even then, the game plans are very basic. Execution is bound to be sloppy in the pre-season because 41 percent of the players trying out aren't going to make the team anyway. And if new schemes are being implemented, the pre-season gives the players who are learning them the opportunity to warm up and get at least somewhat familiar with them before the games begin to count.

All the wrist-slitting among fans this pre-season is stupid because a) that player whose head you want to chop off probably isn't going to make the team anyway, and b) that inexperienced unit is learning all-new techniques while simultaneously learning how to work together.

SuperSteelers
08-26-2013, 01:21 AM
DBR you have to admit that the Steelers in comparison to other NFL teams look discombobulated which is very disconcerting this late in preseason. Don't be surprised if they come out of the gate looking flat.

Big T
08-26-2013, 01:40 AM
DBR you have to admit that the Steelers in comparison to other NFL teams look discombobulated which is very disconcerting this late in preseason. Don't be surprised if they come out of the gate looking flat.

Packers first team offense hasn't scored a TD all preseason. The Patriots 1st team offense played the entire 1st half of their 3rd "dress rehearsal" preseason game... They turned the ball over 4 times in the first quarter, scored no TDs and only scored 9 points the entire game. And this was against Detroit. I think we can all agree that those two teams will be fine.

People have every right to be concerned, I have my concerns, but things need to be looked at in perspective.

NYCsteelersfan
08-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Only team to win the Super Bowl after going 0-4 in the pre-season was the 82 Redskins......Only teams to reach the Super Bowl after a winless pre-season were the 1990 Bills and 2000 New York Giants.....Just something to ponder....

Curious about postseasob in general. How many teams have reached the postseason after going 0-4 in preseason?

DBR96A
08-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Curious about postseasob in general. How many teams have reached the postseason after going 0-4 in preseason?

We know that three teams have gone to the Super Bowl after winless pre-seasons, so there's probably plenty more that have made the playoffs.

scudmissile29
08-26-2013, 07:19 AM
To be honest, the way the Chiefs were playing in the first half, if that had been a regular season game, I think the Steelers would have blown them out.

K Train
08-26-2013, 07:27 AM
im sick of everytone thinking the world is nearing the end because of preseason games...is anyone surprised landry jones or bruce gradkowski arent closing out meaningless games? They ARE meaningless when it comes to the score and really the only good i see them for when we get this far into is organizing the depth chart....theres a reason the backup players are playing at a level not consistent with starter quality, its because they are backup quality players playing in a game as if they are starters

Im not saying the steelers have nothing to prove, but they have far less to prove than some teams who go all out in the preseason because they want to gain a little respect.

Cant wait til its over and this will al be forgotten about, just liek every year when people throw a hissy fit that the team isnt blowing teams out and doesnt look like they are in midseason form

Also, just because schematically they are playing "vanilla" doesnt mean "they arent playing well with the easy stuff, how can we expect them to play with the hard stuff" that is a ridiculous statement

coldrolled
08-26-2013, 07:57 AM
I love every preseason.. All the Shamarko's and Wheaton's show up and wow us.. its awesome.

How does the score mean a thing? The score matters game one against the Titans.

LatrobePA
08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I love every preseason.. All the Shamarko's and Wheaton's show up and wow us.. its awesome.

How does the score mean a thing? The score matters game one against the Titans.

Yes sir... Great post! Score means nothing!!

DBR96A
08-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, last pre-season sucked because all our rookies got killed.

steelfury455
08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Evaluation and limited playing time for key players. That's all preseason is. Think players and coaches minimize it especially during "losses" because fans and media make a huge deal of it. I kinda gauge it on first team only which hasn't been so impressive but Steeler's never start out most games completely gelled anyways.

coldrolled
08-26-2013, 12:44 PM
We have had minimal damage and that is a huge gain.

Now! Don't think hard... but who did we play game 1 this preseason? what was the score?

Don't look it up... See..

SuperSteelers
08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Steelers are projected to be a 7 point favorite against Tennessee. If that line holds true I'm putting money on the Titans +7.

coldrolled
08-26-2013, 02:17 PM
We know that three teams have gone to the Super Bowl after winless pre-seasons, so there's probably plenty more that have made the playoffs.

I really doubt there is any correlation between preseason and regular season wins.

I would think QB battles make better preseason teams.

Clevelandsux
08-26-2013, 07:14 PM
1974 steelers went 6-0 in preseason. Won super bowl. 1982 steelers went 4-0, made playoffs. 1997 steelers went 5-0, went to afc championship game.

Raleigh Steel
08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
And the '08 lions went 4-0 in preseason and finished 0-16!

Dean Denton
08-27-2013, 04:53 AM
There was a time when I thought two preseason games would be enough but with the way the league is now woth liimited tackling in practice I think two more games would help. It seems that the quality pf play in September, primarily def around the league is awful and its not unril around mid October that they really start to play well. Does anyone else notice how poor tackling has become?

DBR96A
08-27-2013, 05:47 AM
1974 steelers went 6-0 in preseason. Won super bowl. 1982 steelers went 4-0, made playoffs. 1997 steelers went 5-0, went to afc championship game.

And in 1978, the Steelers finished 1-3 in the pre-season but won the Super Bowl.