PDA

View Full Version : The Best Steelers Defense That I Have Seen

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Well I'm 27 I didn't see the Steel Curtain defense play. So I'm not saying this defense is better then them. The Curtain was truely the greatest D ever. Whats interesting also about the Curtain is most consider the 1976 defense to be the best Steelers defense ever. The Steelers didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Due to injuries to Franco and Rocky in the playoffs.

But I was thinking what is the best Steelers defense that I have seen play. To me its not even close and no its not last years Super Bowl defense. I like the 1994 Blitzburgh defense. That defense was truely amazing and I really think it would have gave the 49ers offense trouble in the Super Bowl if we hadn't lost to the Chargers in the AFC title game.

Here is the starting lineup in case you forgot.

DE-Brentson Buckner
NT-Joel Steed
DE-Ray Seals
OLB-Kevin Greene
ILB-Levon Kirkland
ILB-Chad Brown
OLB-Greg Lloyd
CB-Rod Woodson (before the ACL injury)
S-Carnell Lake
S-Darren Perry
CB-Deon Figures

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Those are some awesome names there.. that linebacker corp we had was unstoppable !!! I remember it well.

You could make a case for that being one of the best ever, and based on the 70's era vs the 90's era they arent far off in terms of accomplishments either.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Those are some awesome names there.. that linebacker corp we had was unstoppable !!! I remember it well.

You could make a case for that being one of the best ever, and based on the 70's era vs the 90's era they arent far off in terms of accomplishments either.

Yea the talent in that LB core was freakin amazing. The secondary was pretty good also. You had Rod Woodson who was one of the best ever and that was before the ACL injury. Then you had two really good safties in Lake and Perry. Darren Perry was so underrated its not even funny. Then you had Joel Steed who was one of the best NT in the game and Ray Seals had 8 sacks that year. Its to bad that defense didn't get a ring.

NT93
01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Well I'm 27 I didn't see the Steel Curtain defense play. So I'm not saying this defense is better then them. The Curtain was truely the greatest D ever. Whats interesting also about the Curtain is most consider the 1976 defense to be the best Steelers defense ever. The Steelers didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Due to injuries to Franco and Rocky in the playoffs.

But I was thinking what is the best Steelers defense that I have seen play. To me its not even close and no its not last years Super Bowl defense. I like the 1994 Blitzburgh defense. That defense was truely amazing and I really think it would have gave the 49ers offense trouble in the Super Bowl if we hadn't lost to the Chargers in the AFC title game.

Here is the starting lineup in case you forgot.

DE-Brentson Buckner
NT-Joel Steed
DE-Ray Seals
OLB-Kevin Greene
ILB-Levon Kirkland
ILB-Chad Brown
OLB-Greg Lloyd
CB-Rod Woodson (before the ACL injury)
S-Carnell Lake
S-Darren Perry
CB-Deon Figures

Not at all. This never compared to the 70's teams , an not even the 08 or 2010 defense. The 94 team got more sacks, but that was it. The players on the 94 team were solid, and should get the respect you are giving them.

I like this 2010 defense in many ways. Shutting down the run and getting turnovers are what I like. The CB position isn't quite that of the 94 team or the 70's teams.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Holy old thread batman, I could have sworn this was the work of Scorp digging this one up..LOL

Time will tell how good this defense really is, you make your mark in the playoffs. If we go on to win the super bowl, it will go down as one of the best defenses ever. Consider how well we did against the run this year, without Aaron Smith. How much the pass defense has improved over the last 8 weeks of the regular season. Tied for the lead league in sacks, and near the top in take aways, I love how this group is playing right now.