PDA

View Full Version : Zone blocking scheme

SuperSteelers
08-11-2013, 11:21 AM
What do you think about the implemented zone blocking scheme after watching last nights game? Is the Steelers going to base their entire offense on it? If they are basing the entire offense on it than just looking at some of the teams listed below doesn't really give me confidence that this is a winning strategy for the Steelers because the current personnel don't fit the scheme:

1995-2009: Denver Broncos [HC Mike Shanahan and Josh McDaniels (kept scheme in first year)]
2004-2006: Atlanta Falcons [HC Jim L. Mora]
2006-Present: Green Bay Packers [HC Mike McCarthy]
2006-Present: Houston Texans [HC Gary Kubiak]
2010-Present: Seattle Seahawks [HC Pete Carroll]
2010-Present: Washington Redskins [HC Mike Shanahan]
2012-2012: Oakland Raiders [HC Dennis Allen]
2012-Present: Miami Dolphins [HC Joe Philbin]
2013-Present: Jacksonville Jaguars [HC Gus Bradley]

If the whole offense is based on this scheme than its like the Steelers are conceding that the o-line is undersized and doesn't have the muscle for using the man-blocking scheme for a downhill running attack.

ChucktownSteeler
08-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Overall being the first game it wad deployed I thought it showed promise. I am all for it actually, as I believe it will be a big benefit in the run game for Bell and LSH.

C-town

SuperSteelers
08-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I thought it showed promise as well, but it just seems that the scheme is designed for smaller to medium sized running backs versus a big guy like Bell and on top of that the o-line has to be pretty athletic for the scheme to be effective. If it works I'm all for it.

TarlsQtr
08-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I thought it showed promise as well, but it just seems that the scheme is designed for smaller to medium sized running backs versus a big guy like Bell and on top of that the o-line has to be pretty athletic for the scheme to be effective. If it works I'm all for it.

Our starting O-Line is incredibly athletic.

LatrobePA
08-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm more worried about pass protection. The zone stuff looked good and will help get our running game going again!

SuperSteelers
08-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Our starting O-Line is incredibly athletic.

Time will only tell. I just don't picture all 5 o-line guys fitting this style of offense and that is not even including the TE into the equation.

SuperSteelers
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm more worried about pass protection. The zone stuff looked good and will help get our running game going again! I can't comment because I'm not sure if the Steelers will base their entire offense on this scheme even during passing plays.

K Train
08-11-2013, 06:24 PM
the oline is not undersized and thinking that is just buying into people saying "x player is small, but his best bet would be to move to a zone scheme at the next level" which is usually true, but you have to be able to move in a ZBS and that doesn mean be small....

Gilbert: 6-5 330, was talked about as a guard his rookie year because of his ability to pull and run
Foster, 6-6 330, slimmed down because he was by far the worst fit forr a ZBS we had but has made a real case for himself
Pouncey 6-5 310, one of the fastest and most athletic linemen in the league
Decastro 6-5 310, one of the best guard prospects in the last decade, still a lot to learn about him but his size is protoype
Adam 6-8, 330, again one of the most athletic big men in the league, is a terror as a blocker in the second level

Not even one of those guys would be considered undersized on any line

ChucktownSteeler
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
the oline is not undersized and thinking that is just buying into people saying "x player is small, but his best bet would be to move to a zone scheme at the next level" which is usually true, but you have to be able to move in a ZBS and that doesn mean be small....

Gilbert: 6-5 330, was talked about as a guard his rookie year because of his ability to pull and run
Foster, 6-6 330, slimmed down because he was by far the worst fit forr a ZBS we had but has made a real case for himself
Decastro 6-5 310, one of the best guard prospects in the last decade, still a lot to learn about him but his size is protoype
Adam 6-8, 330, again one of the most athletic big men in the league, is a terror as a blocker in the second level

I couldn't agree more.

connecticutsteel
08-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I couldn't agree more.

i also agree but foster was slow last night they should give golic a shot at gaurd or beachum

SuperSteelers
08-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Based on your info, one would assume that the offense will not be entirely based on the zone blocking scheme. Do you agree?

K Train
08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
i also agree but foster was slow last night they should give golic a shot at gaurd or beachum

golic is terrible. beachum is a guy i like though, i think he brings a lot to the table, more than legs or essex ever did

K Train
08-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Based on your info, one would assume that the offense will not be entirely based on the zone blocking scheme. Do you agree?
definitely not, its just implementing zone into the offense. plus bell is a pretty good fit for it

noteeth58
08-12-2013, 03:55 AM
It looked very good at times, DeCastro is going to become a star in this league I believe, and he was consistently completing blocks 7 yards down field, I feel this scheme, benefits a shifty type back, like you saw in the game, if people didnt see this scheme working to perfection with La rod Stevens Howling, they were getting a beer perhaps, the Giant Giants, pun intended,had a hard time finding him. It looked like a well oiled machine to me, but it only lasted a minute in a half or so, I like it a ton if this is a preview!

K Train
08-12-2013, 08:56 AM
funny thing about LSH is he keeps gaining yards when no one (including myself) thinks he should

LatrobePA
08-12-2013, 09:07 AM
funny thing about LSH is he keeps gaining yards when no one (including myself) thinks he should

He seems to have great vision for such a little ****..

Real Deal Steel
08-12-2013, 01:09 PM
LSH made us all take notice didn't he? I mean I too didn't think he'd be that effective. Going forward, he could be the perfect 3rd down back for us.

noteeth58
08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
the thing about it I am sick of hearing third down back, he can run all three downs, kinda sick of the bullshit theories on little guys holding up

K Train
08-12-2013, 06:38 PM
hes always been a third down back...dont you think if he could have he would have taken the reigns as the #1 back in AZ with beanie wells and ryan williams always being hurt?

Hes a perfect 3rd down back, can kinda block, is an excellent receiver and a tough runner

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2013, 08:37 PM
hes always been a third down back...dont you think if he could have he would have taken the reigns as the #1 back in AZ with beanie wells and ryan williams always being hurt?

Hes a perfect 3rd down back, can kinda block, is an excellent receiver and a tough runner

I love The Hyphen but I'm a Pitt guy so I'm biased.....lol I had a man crush for Jon Baldwin....lol Bell and The Hyphen are going to have to carry the running game....Anything from Redman or Dwyer would be just a bonus....Dwyer needs to stop dropping screen passes......