PDA

View Full Version : Steelers intrigued by new coach Tomlin

Captcoolhand
02-10-2007, 08:44 AM
HONOLULU - Willie Parker can't wait to play for new Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu are reserving judgment until they know a bit more about the man replacing Bill Cowher.
The Steelers' four Pro Bowl participants had divergent reactions to Pittsburgh's surprising decision last month to hire Tomlin, a 34-year-old with one season of experience as an NFL coordinator. The Steelers passed over veteran assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt in the process, essentially guaranteeing a major overhaul of last season's champions.
"I wanted Russ to get the job," said Faneca, the Steelers' six-time Pro Bowl guard. "It's a guy we know, and a guy I'm experienced with. I hoped Russ would get that opportunity, but it didn't work out."
Whisenhunt and Grimm quickly left for the Arizona Cardinals, with Grimm serving as Whisenhunt's assistant head coach. Faneca knows the Steelers are unlikely to make another change in his career, since Tomlin is just Pittsburgh's third coach in 38 years.
"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them," said Faneca, and All-Pro this season. "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best."
But Parker, the Steelers' rising running back on his first Pro Bowl trip, needed just one meeting with Tomlin to be sold.
"He made a hell of a first impression," Parker said. "He came and found me, and we had a big meeting in his office about what he expects out of me. He seems like a great guy, a tremendous guy. It's going to be really exciting to play for him."
Parker said he was bowled over by Tomlin's passion for football. Polamalu, Pittsburgh's three-time Pro Bowl safety who also met with Tomlin, is waiting to see what that intensity means.
"The first impression doesn't go too far in this world," Polamalu said. "It's about how you execute, and what you do with it. We'll see how things go once we really get down to work."
Faneca and defensive tackle Casey Hampton haven't yet met Tomlin, but Hampton also is looking forward to next season after speaking with Vikings defensive stars Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.
"I heard he's a real smart guy, very cool," Hampton said. "I don't know much yet, but it might be a real different experience."I'm like Alan and Troy I'm not sold on Tomlin just yet:dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 10:08 AM
This is completely normal for vets to be cautious about a new coach. It's no secret the majority of them wanted Russ or Whiz, and they know far better than we do what inner workings of the locker room are all about. Im anxious to see how these take to the new approach and attitude that this change will bring.

I said it from the get go, that we should expect some turmoil and possible rough early goings with this team as they adjust to all the changes. It's not easy when most of our team has only ever had 1 coach their entire career so everybody will have to take their time and learn together.

Steelerlyn
02-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Interesting article. I wonder if these are some kind of compilation of quotes from the last three weeks or if they were from the same day. I don't put too much stock in it except for Polamalu and Parker, since they are the only ones to meet with Tomlin of those quoted.

And Faneca seems to speak his mind regardless of how much information he really has. Remember the "how would you feel with a rookie QB" comment regarding Roethlisberger?

What will interest me most is what's coming from the locker room after game
eight this season.

BB2W
02-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't want any turmoil, or a divided locker room because the owners didn't hire a coach certain players wanted. I hope they weed out anyone who isn't on board.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't want any turmoil, or a divided locker room because the owners didn't hire a coach certain players wanted. I hope they weed out anyone who isn't on board.

Great post and I agree.

Steelerlyn
02-10-2007, 01:29 PM
:iagree:

Koopa
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
wtf faneca???? you are a leader and you are still harping on the fact that you oline coach didn't get the job??? i don't like what he's saying at all, i don't think the chemistry is gonna be good the way he can't get over the fact that his friend didn't get the job..........and the fool hasn't even met tomlin......... but like lyn brought up, the last thing he didn't like became great so i'm loving the pick up of tomlin.......superbowl here we come

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Relax here everyone, it's not like everybody is pointing fingers and saying "Im not going to play for this guy". The season hasnt even started yet, hell the offseason is just barely getting underway. Give these guys some time to get back to Pittsburgh and talk to the coaches and get some initial feel for what is going to happen.

Faneca is a rock solid, must have,key to our team. He's been around a long time and he's earned the right to speak his mind based on his performance. He's allowed to wish Whiz or Grimm got the job for now, those were his coaches and mentors for many years so just give him and the other players time to adjust especially since they haven't met with all the new staff yet.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 02:20 PM
wtf faneca???? you are a leader and you are still harping on the fact that you oline coach didn't get the job??? i don't like what he's saying at all, i don't think the chemistry is gonna be good the way he can't get over the fact that his friend didn't get the job..........and the fool hasn't even met tomlin......... but like lyn brought up, the last thing he didn't like became great so i'm loving the pick up of tomlin.......superbowl here we come

I basically said this same thing at the Fever and some freaked out about me saying this. I agree Koop, I agree totally.

Koopa
02-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Relax here everyone, it's not like everybody is pointing fingers and saying "Im not going to play for this guy". The season hasnt even started yet, hell the offseason is just barely getting underway. Give these guys some time to get back to Pittsburgh and talk to the coaches and get some initial feel for what is going to happen.

Faneca is a rock solid, must have,key to our team. He's been around a long time and he's earned the right to speak his mind based on his performance. He's allowed to wish Whiz or Grimm got the job for now, those were his coaches and mentors for many years so just give him and the other players time to adjust especially since they haven't met with all the new staff yet.

he can at least congratulate tomlin, he's being a dick it seems, kind of cry babyish that the the rooney's didn't play favorites and go with an in house guy....... he was dick about ben when he first got the start too. i like faneca but at least give the guy a chance and at least show you kinda can't wait.......

BB2W
02-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Yesterday on "Around the Horn" Michael Smith (the only one who isn't an idiot) said that he thought Tomlin will be a great coach... 200+ wins and multiple Superbowl titles.

I hope he's right! :helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 02:27 PM
When he talked about Ben, it wasn't a direct cut on Ben as a starter but more of a general statement of Rookies who usually start. That whole thing was taken completely out of context and neither one of them thought it was a big deal till the media got wind of it.

I'd almost be willing to bet this whole scenario with Faneca now and his statements, along with Troy's comments is getting blown way out of proportion now too so don't be quick to pass judgement on either of them just by what the media tells you they "said". You know as well as the rest of us that facts can easily be construed when it comes to the media. If you're going to blame Faneca, then blame Troy too since he didn't give a "rousing endorsement" like Willie did either.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 02:28 PM

These players need to get it through their heads that Bill Cowher is gone and isn't coming back. Its time to man up and quit acting like a bunch of bitches and get over the fact Russ Grimm/Ken Whisenhunt didn't get job. I don't want to see any doubt hanging over this off-season that carries over to the season. I think with whole Cowher saga this past season did create doubt in the players mind and that did effect the team.

Its a new era in Pittsburgh and either you jump aboard or don't let the door hit you on the way out.:bluelol: That goes for any player. Sorry thats how I feel. You respect and play hard no matter who the coach is.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 02:29 PM
When he talked about Ben, it wasn't a direct cut on Ben as a starter but more of a general statement of Rookies who usually start. That whole thing was taken completely out of context and neither one of them thought it was a big deal till the media got wind of it.

I'd almost be willing to bet this whole scenario with Faneca now and his statements, along with Troy's comments is getting blown way out of proportion now too so don't be quick to pass judgement on either of them just by what the media tells you they "said". You know as well as the rest of us that facts can easily be construed when it comes to the media. If you're going to blame Faneca, then blame Troy too since he didn't give a "rousing endorsement" like Willie did either.

I already blasted Troy at the Fever. I'm not doing it again.:bluelol: As for Alan Faneca his best years are behind anyway. He can move on if he wants.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Nobody is saying they won't play hard and they won't respect him, I never said that, all Im saying is that as much that we as fans had a connection to Cowher and our team up until 2006..the players was 100 times more than we could ever imagine. They are human beings too, not just machines with 7 figure paychecks so they need time to adjust as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Faneca's best years are behind him? Having you been drinking off Capt's bottle or something? :lol: He is still the best Guard in the league, and I'd shutter to think what our OL would be without him.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Faneca's best years are behind him? Having you been drinking off Capt's bottle or something? :lol: He is still the best Guard in the league, and I'd shutter to think what our OL would be without him.

I take offense to that I really do. Other people can make any comment they want. Whatever I could careless. I didn't say Alan Faneca sucks but he isn't in his prime anymore. Plus if he is upset that his drinking buddy is gone and didn't get the HC job. Then **** off I don't want to hear that whining crap. Just like when he had doubt when Ben took over for his buddy Tommy Maddox. It makes him look stupid.

Koopa
02-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I already blasted Troy at the Fever. I'm not doing it again.:bluelol: As for Alan Faneca his best years are behind anyway. He can move on if he wants.

oh oh oh, you can say something like this and not get any response, if i said it this thread would be 40 pages long of bickering lol

augustashark
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Yesterday on "Around the Horn" Michael Smith (the only one who isn't an idiot) said that he thought Tomlin will be a great coach... 200+ wins and multiple Superbowl titles.

I hope he's right! :helmet:

I hope he's right also, but I hope that Smith understands that there have only been 4 maybe 5 guys that have ever won 200 games in the NFL. Very tall task, but one I would love to see.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I take offense to that I really do. Other people can make any comment they want. Whatever I could careless. I didn't say Alan Faneca sucks but he isn't in his prime anymore. Plus if he is upset that his drinking buddy is gone and didn't get the HC job. Then **** off I don't want to hear that whining crap. Just like when he had doubt when Ben took over for his buddy Tommy Maddox. It makes him look stupid.

Relax man, did you see the :lol: in my post? Nobody is flaming you Im just saying I disagree with you in a different way than just saying "i disagree".

I don't think it makes him look stupid, he just speaks his mind and wears his emotions on his shirtsleeve. If that was the case, then everyone of us here could be "stupid" for shouting off how we like or don't like a decision that was made on the team, when in retrospect it may or may not pan out in the future. It's just our point of view and nothing else, same with Alan and Troy :bigthumb:

Koopa
02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Relax man, did you see the :lol: in my post? Nobody is flaming you Im just saying I disagree with you in a different way than just saying "i disagree".

I don't think it makes him look stupid, he just speaks his mind and wears his emotions on his shirtsleeve. If that was the case, then everyone of us here could be "stupid" for shouting off how we like or don't like a decision that was made on the team, when in retrospect it may or may not pan out in the future. It's just our point of view and nothing else, same with Alan and Troy :bigthumb:

how come faneca can wear his emotions on his sleeves and i can't??? everytime i say something like faneca says i get in trouble and end up having a 40 post thread.........

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Who said you get in trouble? You say things and go off on people for disagreeing with you so that's why you get 40 pages of responses :lol:

augustashark
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM

At least you're consistent!:bluelol:

Koopa
02-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Who said you get in trouble? You say things and go off on people for disagreeing with you so that's why you get 40 pages of responses :lol:

no, i don't go off, i just try to explain why i'm saying it and ppl bitch about it, and i get in trouble through pm's by the boss man

anyway tomlin is gonna win the superbowl his first year with or without faneca lol..........i'm not to worried about troy's comments and plus it's contract year so he's gonna play hard no matter what

TampaSteelGirl
02-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm very disappointed in Fancea and I'm a little in Troy as well, Troy wasn't bad but seemed a little negative so I guess we'll see. I'm excited about Tomlin and he's got a great attitude and I think he's gonna be a real positive addition to this team. :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 03:07 PM
no, i don't go off, i just try to explain why i'm saying it and ppl bitch about it, and i get in trouble through pm's by the boss man

anyway tomlin is gonna win the superbowl his first year with or without faneca lol..........i'm not to worried about troy's comments and plus it's contract year so he's gonna play hard no matter what

Exactly, he's got to earn his money just like everyone else. There is no pardons for past accomplishments on this team coming into 2007 so if he wants the big bucks he better earn them. I do think we'll try and resign him before the season starts though so we'll see.

BB2W
02-10-2007, 03:10 PM
All Alan Faneca has to do is go out and play... He doesn't need to talk publicly about who he thought/wished would have got the job, or publicly question his teammates ability and experience. It's not his job, and I think it's unprofessional. I understand some players have their doubts, but you just can't talk about it to the media.

Thats how I feel... I wouldn't do it at my job.

Captcoolhand
02-10-2007, 03:11 PM
You get'em TG! They're on something but it's not my bottle:nono: :lol: