PDA

View Full Version : Players hanging on too long

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2006, 06:25 AM
In the wake of Prosdo's thread about Seau signing with yet another team it brings up the question, what do you think about veteran players who are definately in the twilight of their career just continue to sign 1 and 2 year deals with just about any team that will take them that's atleast a semi contender?

The average person will never know what it's like to play in the NFL or professional sports in general but we've heard retired players talk about how hard it is to walk away from the game that they've spend their whole life playing. How hard it is to give up the competitive need their personality craves, the team atmosphere, the excitement, the fans, and everything that makes the NFL so great. Brett Farve is a good example of this too as he decided to come back for yet another season w/ the Pack.

So do you think they can hang on too long? Does it tarnish their legacy as a player to keep playing long after their best days are behind them?

blackNgold22
08-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, it ruins their legacy unless they come back and win it all. Take Michael Jordan for example. He went out on top but he had to come back and play for Washington which will always take something away from him in my opinion. It would be like Jerome coming back and getting 150 yards in a season and not winning a ring.

Steelx
08-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Michael Jordan could have came back and sat the bench for 5 seasons before I changed my mind on how good he was. The guy was the best player I have seen in my short life of watching basketball. I am from Cleveland and I get the opprotunity to see Lebron James everyday during the NBA season he will be te closest but will not be the best until he wins some rings. You can not put Jordan into a worse career because of the love of the game.

Like Seau for this matter he never took anyone to the promise land yeah he made a few pro bowls but a lot of players have. He is an above average LB for a team that is really week at the position. To me Seau is just trying to get back some popularity.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah, it ruins their legacy unless they come back and win it all. Take Michael Jordan for example. He went out on top but he had to come back and play for Washington which will always take something away from him in my opinion. It would be like Jerome coming back and getting 150 yards in a season and not winning a ring.

As a diehard Bulls fans. Yes I was a fan before the 6 titles. I'm not from PA like my parents. They moved to Indiana before I was born. The only good thing about that is I did get to follow and watch MJ as a kid. When the Pistons beat the Bulls in the playoffs I cried. Well I was only 9 years old at the time.

But back to Michael I try to pretend that whole Washington Wizard thing never happened.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2006, 10:46 AM
If they are coming back for the love of the game, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to give it up. However if it's just for their own personal glory and trying to make headlines, then they aren't doing it for the right reasons, IMO.

Either way though, you're judged by your performance on the field, the court, or whatever so it can have a negative impact on your legacy.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 10:53 AM
If they are coming back for the love of the game, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to give it up. However if it's just for their own personal glory and trying to make headlines, then they aren't doing it for the right reasons, IMO.

Either way though, you're judged by your performance on the field, the court, or whatever so it can have a negative impact on your legacy.

Whats up with old washed up LB's signing with the Pats to try and get a ring? Last year it was Chad Brown and now Junior Seau. The Pats will still be a good team. But they are not an elite team anymore. They have to many holes. With a healthy Tom Brady they will always be a threat. But see the winning the AFC East again but lossing in the first round of the playoffs this year.

Prosdo
08-19-2006, 11:09 AM
I do think some players hold on too long. Do I think it tarnishes their legacy? Depends on the case. A guy like Michael Jordan to me, no that doesn't. He will always be a legend in the sports world.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I do think some players hold on too long. Do I think it tarnishes their legacy? Depends on the case. A guy like Michael Jordan to me, no that doesn't. He will always be a legend in the sports world.

Well I don't think Jordan playing with the Wizards tarnished his legacy. He is still best ever. But I still pretend that never happened. I hated seeing Jordan in that Wizards uniform as a diehard Bulls fan.

CantStop85
08-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Of course as fans, we would like to see an athlete go out on top, but most athletes have a hard time letting go of a game they love. If they stick around too long, is it a little hard to watch? Sure, but years later we'll remember them only for the great things they did. I hated to see MJ come back as a Wizard and it was painful to watch, but as time goes on I remember the end of his career less and less and the prime of his career more and more.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Of course as fans, we would like to see an athlete go out on top, but most athletes have a hard time letting go of a game they love. If they stick around too long, is it a little hard to watch? Sure, but years later we'll remember them only for the great things they did. I hated to see MJ come back as a Wizard and it was painful to watch, but as time goes on I remember the end of his career less and less and the prime of his career more and more.

Man, I just pretend the whole Wizard thing didn't happen.