PDA

View Full Version : Stan's thoughts on the draft

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:23 PM
He touched on it tonight alittle on sportsbeat from caller questions. The number 1 priority for this team this year in his opinion is OLB.

He also thinks Najeh can be the main counterpart to Willie; he likes what he's seen so far. So there all you Najeh haters, Tomlin and Stan think he could be real good for us this year so :nahnah: ;)

His 5 key areas to address in this years draft: OLB, DE, Depth at RB, and depth at CB depending on what the team decides to do with Coc. Depth at the OL is paramount.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I'll ask would you feel comfortable with Dookie as the main RB if Parker went down? I wouldn't. Thats why I think if RB is the best player available in the 2nd or 3rd round then it would be wise to draft one. You have to look at from a value stand point also.

I agree there are bigger needs but lets say the Steelers draft an OLB in the first round. Then in the 2nd round their focus shifts to the OLine or another position that is a bigger need and all of the best options are gone but lets say Michael Bush is there for the taking. Then I say you have to draft Bush.

DIESELMAN
02-09-2007, 07:38 PM
He touched on it tonight alittle on sportsbeat from caller questions. The number 1 priority for this team this year in his opinion is OLB.

He also thinks Najeh can be the main counterpart to Willie; he likes what he's seen so far. So there all you Najeh haters, Tomlin and Stan think he could be real good for us this year so :nahnah: ;)

His 5 key areas to address in this years draft: OLB, DE, Depth at RB, and depth at CB depending on what the team decides to do with Coc. Depth at the OL is paramount.

I'd like to see 3 of the first 4 rounds being defensive picks.....OLB/DE/CB/OL
the last 2 interchangeable but also taking into consideration who's available in 3-5 for a RB. Man you know theres going to be some tough decisions in the draft and who to take, I don't envy these guys at all. Bring on the Draft!!!!!

TEEMONT
02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
hmmm imagine that I think the same thing about RB and OL as the coach, I must be drinking buddies with him.

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2007, 11:53 PM
hmmm imagine that I think the same thing about RB and OL as the coach, I must be drinking buddies with him.

Coach Tomlin did not tip his hand at all! If you read TG's post carefully those were Stan Savrans opinions and this is how HE ranked our needs.

1. OLB 2. DE 3. RB 4. DB (only if we plan to get rid of Coclough) 5. OL

Those were Stans words in the order he thinks our needs should be addressed! There is that flawed thinking again! Better go have another beer with coach! :hail: :hail: :hail: you da man :rofl:

TEEMONT
02-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Coach Tomlin did not tip his hand at all! If you read TG's post carefully those were Stan Savrans opinions and this is how HE ranked our needs.

1. OLB 2. DE 3. RB 4. DB (only if we plan to get rid of Coclough) 5. OL

Those were Stans words in the order he thinks our needs should be addressed! There is that flawed thinking again! Better go have another beer with coach! :hail: :hail: :hail: you da man :rofl:

Funny I didnt see them listed in order before. OL depth is paramount, meaning its the most important thing. If Savran, who usually has a little bit of an inside scoop, thinks Najeh is good enough, I'll take his opinion over most on thihs site.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 12:12 AM
One thing that hasn't been answered. If Willie goes down with major injury. Would you be comfortable with Dookie as the main RB? I wouldn't and thats why I think depth is needed. Plus rookie RB's are known for having impacts unlike other rookies at other positions.

So if Micheal Bush is the best from a value stand point in round 2 then he as to be the pick. If the best Olineman are taking come the Steelers time in the 2nd round and Bush is there then take Bush and then draft a third round rated Olineman. People have to look at the value part of it also.

TEEMONT
02-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Once again, with the Willie injury conspiracy. What if Marvel goes down, or Faneca, we don't have even Najeh back-ups on the line. There are needs that need to be addressed elsewhere. Willie was fine this year with Dookie as a back-up, he will be fine next year. Maybe....MAYBE a 3rd or 4th round RB, but nothing sooner, we need OL. Besides we have good scouts, Willie was an UFA for goodness sakes.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Once again, with the Willie injury conspiracy. What if Marvel goes down, or Faneca, we don't have even Najeh back-ups on the line. There are needs that need to be addressed elsewhere. Willie was fine this year with Dookie as a back-up, he will be fine next year. Maybe....MAYBE a 3rd or 4th round RB, but nothing sooner, we need OL. Besides we have good scouts, Willie was an UFA for goodness sakes.

I'm not saying Willie will go down with injury. But you never know. I wouldn't want Dookie as the main RB if Parker went down. I agree Oline is a bigger need but just saying if no Olineman is there from a value stand point and if a RB like Michael Bush is there then it would be wise from a value stand point to draft Bush.

I guess if all the worthy Olineman that are valued at 1st or 2nd picks are all gone by the time the Steelers draft in the 2nd round then the Steelers should reach a take a guy valued as a 3rd rounder or lower.:bluelol: Yea makes perfect ****ing sense.

Yea undrafted free agents like Willie Parker grow on trees to.:bluelol:

On a final note not once did I say RB was a bigger need the offensive line. Just trying to look at the value side of the draft and making conversation. But I'm flawed in my thinking.lol Jesus ****ing Christ

House of Steel
02-10-2007, 12:36 AM
As long as Tomlin and Colbert address the OL and DL problems on the draft, I will be pleased about this. Running back is not the top priority. I don't see where getting a DB is important either. I do have to question one thing, Why in the world do we have 5 QB taking up roster space? That is uncalled for and a waste big time. That makes no sense whatsoever.

TEEMONT
02-10-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm not saying Willie will go down with injury. But you never know. I wouldn't want Dookie as the main RB if Parker went down. I agree Oline is a bigger need but just saying if no Olineman is there from a value stand point and if a RB like Michael Bush is there then it would be wise from a value stand point to draft Bush.

I guess if all the worthy Olineman that are valued at 1st or 2nd picks are all gone by the time the Steelers draft in the 2nd round then the Steelers should reach a take a guy valued as a 3rd rounder or lower.:bluelol: Yea makes perfect ****ing sense.

Yea undrafted free agents like Willie Parker grow on trees to.:bluelol:

On a final note not once did I say RB was a bigger need the offensive line. Just trying to look at the value side of the draft and making conversation. But I'm flawed in my thinking.lol Jesus ****ing Christ

Hey no reason to get butt-hurt, my opinion is diff than yours. We need to get O-line help, I think we need 1st round O-line help. I also have a sneaking suspicion we are going to have a bit of a hybrid defense. If we address our needs, then sure take a RB, I can admit when I am wrong. I was honestly just not readin your arguement the right way. Like I said, its not that we shouldnt take someone to push Dookie, I just don't think we can get anyone who is going to be that much better than him.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey no reason to get butt-hurt, my opinion is diff than yours. We need to get O-line help, I think we need 1st round O-line help. I also have a sneaking suspicion we are going to have a bit of a hybrid defense. If we address our needs, then sure take a RB, I can admit when I am wrong. I was honestly just not readin your arguement the right way. Like I said, its not that we shouldnt take someone to push Dookie, I just don't think we can get anyone who is going to be that much better than him.

I'm not butt hurt your the one saying people are flawed.lol Just saying dude I all for drafting defensive playes or Oline before RB just as long as the value is justified.

TEEMONT
02-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I can agree with that. I'm just sayin we shouldnt draft Micheal Bush, for the sake of drafting Micheal Bush.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I can agree with that. I'm just sayin we shouldnt draft Micheal Bush, for the sake of drafting Micheal Bush.

Oh I agree with that also. I'm a draft junkie so I always look at the value stand point bro. Thats all I was trying to do with the conversation.

Steelersfan
02-10-2007, 02:04 AM
If we draft good OL our need at RB will fall. A good OL can make an average RB look even better.

BlackGold4vr
02-10-2007, 09:54 AM
As long as Tomlin and Colbert address the OL and DL problems on the draft, I will be pleased about this. Running back is not the top priority. I don't see where getting a DB is important either. I do have to question one thing, Why in the world do we have 5 QB taking up roster space? That is uncalled for and a waste big time. That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you watched the transaction board closely every team fattens up on free agent signings in the offseason. These are mostly practice squad players and unsigned players from last year giving it another shot. Rarely do these guys make the team. By the time the team makes the final cut down to 53 players, most if not all those guys will be gone. It does help push the vets when those guys are in camp because they are hungry and desparate to make the team!

Stillers#1........truce! No need to argue. I agree that our O-line needs depth but after about 10 guys there is a drop-off in talent. With Ryan Kalil as the #1 center we don't want to draft a center this year! There are only a couple O-lineman projected to be first or second rounders. After Joe Thomas and Levi Brown are off the board there is a drop-off in talent level.....Yanda, Staley, Ugoh? In the guard position it isn't much better. There are maybe 4 top guards......Sears, Grubbs, Beakman & Blalock after that there is another drop-off in talent level. On the current Steeler depth chart we have back-ups for every position except LG (Faneca). We have no shot at Joe Thomas! After him Brown might be the next guy off the board and we may have a shot at him if we are filling O-line first. Most of us don't think we will (could be wrong). Brown may not be there by round 2. Maybe Sears or Grubbs is still there in round 2......be glad to have either one! Would you have them pick O-line again in round 3 even if the talent level is dropped off and we still need D-lineman and a back-up RB? Point is this isn't like the Madden07 video game where we can create our own O-line monster with maxed out skills whenever we need one! Rome wasn't built in a day! If we walk away from this years draft with just 1 quality O-lineman I think most of us would be happy! That still leaves 7 other picks. What everybody has been saying is that if we get to say round four and all those top lineman are off the board, why not pick up a Leonard or Hunt if they are still out there? With 1 more top O-lineman and all the current back-ups already on the roster there will be depth on the O-line. Keeping in mind all these lineman can play more than one position! On the other hand if you are calling Verron Haynes and Najeh Davenport adequate depth at RB most would disagree with that assessment! Maybe we pick up a lineman or a RB in the free agent market! Tomlin did say that they will look to fill needs through both the draft and free agency! No need to be hostile.........we're all on the same side rooting for the same team!

:beer4:

House of Steel
02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
If you watched the transaction board closely every team fattens up on free agent signings in the offseason. These are mostly practice squad players and unsigned players from last year giving it another shot. Rarely do these guys make the team. By the time the team makes the final cut down to 53 players, most if not all those guys will be gone. It does help push the vets when those guys are in camp because they are hungry and desparate to make the team!

I agree with your quote here, but it just unSteelers like to see them carrying just about 5 QBs on the roster going into Training Camp. Now I can see Rasheed Marshall being a WR which is what his listed position is currently. I wonder if you got the full scoop on this guy, is he trying to become the next Antwann Randle El? Does he have the skills and what it takes to possibly become a trick player in our system?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 11:46 AM
One thing that hasn't been answered. If Willie goes down with major injury. Would you be comfortable with Dookie as the main RB? I wouldn't and thats why I think depth is needed. Plus rookie RB's are known for having impacts unlike other rookies at other positions.

So if Micheal Bush is the best from a value stand point in round 2 then he as to be the pick. If the best Olineman are taking come the Steelers time in the 2nd round and Bush is there then take Bush and then draft a third round rated Olineman. People have to look at the value part of it also.

My understanding from listening to him and also watching Tomlin on sportsbeat is that from Stan's point of view he think Najeh could be the guy to back up willie; and that with a full offseason and camp he could carry the load if he had too, so he'd like to see to see what he can do if he can stay healthy.

Tomlin said on sportsbeat that Najeh could very well fit into the mix at RB behind Willie so he will be considered as an option as this offseason goes on.

IMO Stan truely believes that because it's his opinion as a fan and media guy. Tomlin could just be blowing smoke and saying the right thing so right now it's anybody's guess. Either way though,depth is needed regardless because Haynes can't stay healthy, and we need atleast 3 viable options at RB going into 2007, if not 4 plus Kreider.