PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin On Sports Beat Tonight

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that Coach Tomlin will be on Sports Beat tonight. So those who have Fox Sports Pittsburgh tune at 6:30 Eastern time. Thank God for Directv.:tt02: So even out here in Indiana I get Fox Sports Pittsburgh.

Koopa
02-09-2007, 06:30 PM
that sucks i only get the best one fsn southwest lol......... type a transcript and post it here lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Im watching it now, thanks for the heads up.

Stan was talking to Mike about how the Indy super bowl rally was like 45,000 fans and then he showed pics of the Pittsburgh parade last year when we won SBXL and we had 250,000 fans cram the streets for our parade; Stan goes to Mike "do you know what it's like here? " and Tomlin goes "Im learning" :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
They also talked about how much time Tomlin has had to talk with the players so far, and he said he makes it a priority everyday to talk with players and keep in touch with them so they can begin to develop a relationship.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Stan asked him if he resents everybody bringing up the Rooney rule all the time...He said no, he understands what it's about and he's just glad for the chance to interview but the rule only gave him the chance; and that he had to sell himself and earn the job.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Now they are talking about defenses. Stan asked what the primary defense will be.. Mike said we're built for the 34 and he's got the utmost respect for Dick and his staff and what he's done with this team for so many years. He said again how he's a fundamentalist and he'll put his players in the positions to be their best and perform at the highest level possible; that it's execution that makes a successful football, not the scheme you run. He's looking forward to working with Lebeau .

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Drafting strategy will be that he'll work shoulder to shoulder with Colbert in all things draft related; he's a "personnel junkie" and really enjoys that aspect of the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Now they are talking about how involved Mike will be in the offense. He said he's going to be very involved and it's important to him that the players know he's involved in every aspect of the game and cares about every phase of the gameplan.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Talking about training camp, the extra pre season game...he said he enjoys training camp, the team unity and building, and he's looking forward to the extra game this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
On players: He will not make any preconceived judgments about players on the squad right now; but rather he'll use this offseason and camp to let the players fight for their jobs and make a name for themselves to him and etch their spot on this team by their performance and attitude.

DIESELMAN
Sweet!!...sounds like hes got his act together and knows what he wants to do. I hope he realizes how lucky he is to be the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

BlackGold4vr
Thank God for Direct TV!

:tt02: :banana: :tt02: :banana:

DIESELMAN
02-09-2007, 07:02 PM
The fanbase is second to no one!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

DIESELMAN
02-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Keep it coming Top.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Tomlin was just asked about needing another back in the draft...He said it's important to have at least 2 good backs of contrasting style; in today's league you need at least 2 backs to run a successful team. He said you don't necessarily have to have a big power back but if the opportunity presents itself for that type of back they'll look into it.

He also said that Najeh could very well fit that role and he's a definite option they are exploring.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:09 PM
He said overall, everything is new to him in being a head coach, especially all the key decisions he has to make everyday that affects so many people, so he's soliciting all the help he can as he learns, but he vows to always be true to himself.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:09 PM
On the surface of Heinz...he said he doesn't care whether its grass or field turf as long as his team has better footing than the opponent :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:11 PM
On what he likes the best about being in Pittsburgh: the blue collar atmosphere and attitude of the city. He's a people guy and he's excited about being here among a city full of fans who have the same type of attitude that he does towards the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:11 PM
ok commercial break :lol:

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
The more I hear this guy talk, the more I like the Rooneys decision! I believe we have the right man for the job!

They asked him what part of Pittsburgh does he like the most? And his answer was that he grew up in the Newport News area and most of his family worked in the ship building business so he loves the idea of working in a blue collar town and likes that the Steelers are a blue collar team!

:beer3:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Exactly, he's got the right attitude to coach here from what I can tell too. Im interested to see how it carries out in the coming months and in this upcoming season.

Koopa
02-09-2007, 07:33 PM
i knew he was the right guy for the job as soon as the rooney's narrowed it down to 3.............damn i can't wait for next season to start so he can get his first super bowl ring as a head coach

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Funny how Stan Savrans thoughts about what our needs are reflect the talk here at SA! He mentioned OLB as our greatest need followed by a DE and then another RB. He mentioned the OL but also said it was not our top need.........What will Stillers#1 think of that? Perhaps Stans thinking is flawed too! And he said that we would only need to grab a DB if we chucked Coclough. Pretty close to the chatter here at SA!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Stop :stirpot: with him ! ;)

I always enjoy reading articles and listening to sports talk guys and gals when they emphasize points that we've already talked about. It just reaffirms the talent and insight that SA has on board now as some of the best and most interesting you'll find anywhere on the net :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Stop :stirpot: with him ! ;)

I always enjoy reading articles and listening to sports talk guys and gals when they emphasize points that we've already talked about. It just reaffirms the talent and insight that SA has on board now as some of the best and most interesting you'll find anywhere on the net :bigthumb:

Even me?

Iron City South
02-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Savran threw Mikey softballs .... didn't get close to finding out what Mikey's thinking from a strategic sense. :banging:

Part of their courtship I guess ... Stan wants to come across as a good host so that he gets better seats at the media luncheon and golf outing days.

TampaSteelGirl
02-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Thank you so much for the info! I'm getting really excited for this year!! :tt02:

DIESELMAN
02-09-2007, 09:08 PM
It just reaffirms the talent and insight that SA has on board now as some of the best and most interesting you'll find anywhere on the net :bigthumb:

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :toot: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

BlitzburghNation
02-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Just now got to read it all and all i can say is :banana: :tt02: :bigthumb:
Thanks TG and B&G4evr for keeping us updated :clap:
I'm so ready for the season to begin and watch our team kick some,,,,,,
:rats: :brownssuck: :bengalssuck: ASSES and take back what's always been ours "THE NORTH DIVISION" :cabbagepatch: :steelersrocksign:
also get that 6th title :tt02:

TEEMONT
02-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Funny how Stan Savrans thoughts about what our needs are reflect the talk here at SA! He mentioned OLB as our greatest need followed by a DE and then another RB. He mentioned the OL but also said it was not our top need.........What will Stillers#1 think of that? Perhaps Stans thinking is flawed too! And he said that we would only need to grab a DB if we chucked Coclough. Pretty close to the chatter here at SA!

B/C I am the only one who thinks we don't need a RB, when ummmm we really don't.

The OL is in trouble, it aint getting any younger on the left side. I have said several times, it doesnt matter if we woulda had a young Bettis in the backfield, our line got DOMINATED twice against the ravens, and last I check we play them twice again next year. NO RB, not Bush, not the dude from rutgers, not Hunt is going to help us at all if we have a ****** O-line. I know all you guys want a BIG NAME RB, but two years ago when Wille was hurt, Duce was able to fill in fine, I think Dookie is just a bit better than Duce was in 05. Dookie is good enough, what the hell do you guys want, two starting RB's?

We could have LT as a back-up and yinz wouldnt be happy.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 12:57 AM
B/C I am the only one who thinks we don't need a RB, when ummmm we really don't.

The OL is in trouble, it aint getting any younger on the left side. I have said several times, it doesnt matter if we woulda had a young Bettis in the backfield, our line got DOMINATED twice against the ravens, and last I check we play them twice again next year. NO RB, not Bush, not the dude from rutgers, not Hunt is going to help us at all if we have a ****** O-line. I know all you guys want a BIG NAME RB, but two years ago when Wille was hurt, Duce was able to fill in fine, I think Dookie is just a bit better than Duce was in 05. Dookie is good enough, what the hell do you guys want, two starting RB's?

We could have LT as a back-up and yinz wouldnt be happy.

If the Steelers really wanted to upgrade their Oline then trade up and draft Joe Thomas. But if not then take Levi Brown at 15? I'm not thrilled about Levi Brown myself.

The top five OT in this draft are Joe Thomas,Tony Ugoh, Levi Brown, Joe Staley and Ryan Harris. These are only OTs I would draft within the first two rounds. All will be gone by the time the Steelers pick in the 2nd round.

I think the guards are less impressive. Only two guys that really impress me within the first two round. Again its all about value.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-10-2007, 01:03 AM
If the Steelers really wanted to upgrade their Oline then trade up and draft Joe Thomas. But if not then take Levi Brown at 15? I'm not thrilled about Levi Brown myself.

The top five OT in this draft are Joe Thomas,Tony Ugoh, Levi Brown, Joe Staley and Ryan Harris. These are only OTs I would draft within the first two rounds. All will be gone by the time the Steelers pick in the 2nd round.

Never say never. Alot can and will happen between now and April.

Steelersfan
02-10-2007, 02:14 AM
When of the few things we need is a RB. Yes, I've been on Parkers case before and I still am. Just not a fan of that style of running. But still he has done well for us most of the time and if we can get Dookie back we will be fine at RB. Not to mention the play of the OL can really make it easy on any RB. I'm not saying draft this position or that in any round. I think we need to take the best player depending on our need and what is available which is what I think most of you are saying.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Yes BG4vr, even you ;)

Most of this draft is going to be for depth at this point anyways. Yes everybody will be fighting for their jobs and trying to show the new coaches why they deserve a spot on the team for this year; but at the same most of the depth we currently have is pretty good but it's going to move into starting roles; especially on the OL, and LB, so we'll need to replenish that depth and add to it at the DL position, RB, and WR and at the same adding some youth and fresh blood to the team to make the vets push alittle more and get that edge back.

BlackGold4vr
02-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes BG4vr, even you ;)

Most of this draft is going to be for depth at this point anyways. Yes everybody will be fighting for their jobs and trying to show the new coaches why they deserve a spot on the team for this year; but at the same most of the depth we currently have is pretty good but it's going to move into starting roles; especially on the OL, and LB, so we'll need to replenish that depth and add to it at the DL position, RB, and WR and at the same adding some youth and fresh blood to the team to make the vets push alittle more and get that edge back.

Very generic statement there TG since any position drafted is adding depth somewhere. I believe that only Kevin Colbert & Mike Tomlin know what their draft strategy is and even then that could change based on players availability when its our turn. Nobody knows at this point what our draft class will look like! Hell, Tomlin mentioned they will also look at free agency which could throw us all off on our presumptions! We could all debate until the cows come home what our biggest needs are and that still won't affect who they pick come April 28th and 29th! All I know is that this is an exciting time to be in Steeler Nation! Speaking in car terms I feel like we just put a new engine in a muscle car! Excited to see how she runs! Another thing that Tomlin spoke of yesterday that was refreshing was he said that character was the most important thing that they are going to be looking for! To quote him he said
,"He hopes to add quality men to our team who also happen to be good football players!" This aint gonna be no stinkin Cincinatti where practice needs to be scheduled around court appearances!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Well of course it's a generic statement, everything about the draft before we get there is generic because it's all hearsay and a matter of our own opinions. Unless 1 of us is a fly on the wall inside the offices of the coaches and staff, everysingle position and player we think will fit good on this team is nothing more than our opinions based on research that we've done combined with our own views on what the team needs. Not every player you take in the draft is for depth; sometimes you draft a guy based on the fact that he's going to start right away and other times you draft guys who will be backups for now and hopefully will project to be in the starting lineup in the future, or atleast push for the job by their improvements over time.

Mike and Kevin could very well go a completely different route than any of us have predicted and we could get more FA's too, so it's all up in the air until we see how this new regime begins to pan out.