PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Cowher eager to play his Duce

Koopa
08-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Saturday, August 19, 2006
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Bill Cowher is anxious to watch veteran running back Duce Staley work with the first-team offense tonight in the preseason home opener against the Minnesota Vikings. Staley only played in five games last season because of a crowded backfield that included Jerome Bettis, whom Staley wanted to see ride off into the sunset.

Staley, 31, had been the starting running back in 2004, the year he signed as a free agent. But he was injured midway through the season and only played in three of the final nine games because of a hamstring injury.

Willie Parker is the unquestioned starter this season, but Staley is vying for the backup job and third-down role against fellow veteran Verron Haynes. Cowher said he has been pleased with Staley's play through the preseason.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06231/714786-66.stm

Young Gun
08-19-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm anxious to see how Duce does too. Just another thing Cowher and I have in common. :D

SteelCityMan786
08-19-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm anxious as well. Let's see what Duce still has and if all that rest paid off.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Duce is going to be a big key this year. If he can't get the job done. Then it will be up to Verron Haynes to be the short yardage/goal line back. I like Haynes but he has a history of nagging injuries in the past as well. You wonder if a bigger load would break him down. Someone has to step we all know that our guy Fast Willie can't carry the rock 30 times a game. So all eyes will be on Duce tonight.

Steelx
08-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Duce is one of the biggest over paid cry babies in the league. He has proven nothing except the ability to get hurt do nothing on the field and still get a huge contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2006, 10:55 AM
I'd be very leary of playing him in preseason considering how fragile he's been the last year and a half...but if we don't play him then he won't be in shape for the regular season. It's a catch 22 I guess..

Hey that was pretty good, catch 22 :lol:

Prosdo
08-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I am anxious to see Duce as well. I am pretty aggravated with the situation with him though. The guy is always injured. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Next year I do believe we will pick up a FA or draft a RB since he isn't getting it done.