PDA

View Full Version : Chad Brown: keep or kick to the curb?

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Chad Brown By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Feb 8, 2007

The next in a series: An early look at the Steelers upcoming free agents and whether they should keep linebacker Chad Brown or kick him to the curb.

The new coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers has a busy schedule, studying the team’s current roster, readying for the draft and settling itself in Pittsburgh.

With that in mind, we’ve decided to help them out a little by breaking down the team’s free agents and whether they fit into the team’s future plans or should be allowed to look for work elsewhere.

Next up on our list is linebacker Chad Brown, an unrestricted free agent.

Chad Brown was once one of the better linebackers in the NFL, a player capable of playing inside or outside who was as adept in coverage as he was in rushing the passer.

Those days are long behind the 14-year NFL veteran.

But even as a player with 14 years under his belt, Brown displayed some ability in 2006 for the Steelers after being signed off the street when the team’s linebacking corps was decimated by injuries. And Brown also showed a willingness to do whatever was needed to contribute, playing on special teams, something most former Pro Bowl players would scoff at.

For the season, he contributed five tackles and a sack, the 79th of his career and 31st as a member of the Steelers, with whom he was playing for the second time in his career. The team originally drafted him in 1993.

Brown’s season ended with a knee injury suffered while playing special teams and he was placed on injured reserve Dec. 20.

At 36, Brown has basically been sticking around chasing the Super Bowl ring that has eluded him in his career. He played in the Super Bowl in 1995 with the Steelers, but left Seattle after the 2004 season to sign with New England before spending last season with Pittsburgh.

But at some point, the dream has to end and it’s likely that time has come for Brown, one of the real good guys in the game.

Verdict: Curb him.

I agree, we need to curb him! We need youth at linebacker and like most of us expect them to address that in Aprils draft!

:beer3:

AZ_Steeler
02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
This dude is too old to be playing as a linebacker! It's definitely time for him to ride off into the sunset because his time is over. Sorry Chad it's been good while it lasted!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I was glad to see him back with us last year, even if he did end up getting hurt, it was good to see him finish what was probably his last year in the league back where he started it all.

He is old though, and with that knee injury I can't see us keeping him around at all.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the years of service chad. Enjoy retirement

Ambridge
02-09-2007, 05:08 PM
No-Brainer here!! See ya Chad.

I hope Tomlin identifies any and all of the dead weight on the team and gets rid of it.

TEEMONT
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I dunno why, but I still have a problem picturing him as an elder statesman in the league.

Captcoolhand
02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe that's why he signed:scratch: He just wanted to be known for a Champion.
Seriously, he was the only player that ever knew the team(steeler way)on the Free agent:2cents:

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Sha na na na,Sha na na na, heeeey good bye!!

Steelersfan
02-10-2007, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him stay depending on the price and what we do in the draft. If it doesn't fit what we need then see ya Chad!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I remember when we got chad from Colorado in the draft, he stepped in beside Levon Kirkland and those 2 were just amazing together on the inside. Then he moved outside and his career really took off; there was no way we could afford to keep him at the time, still being at TRS and in that period where we were losing players left and right every year to FA.

SteelerFan87
02-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I'd be happy to keep Chad Brown for depth, for the right price. If he really does just want to go out a Champion and is willing to stay in a backup role for very little money, I say we keep him. The man DID have 5 tackles and a sack in, what, 2 or 3 games?