PDA

View Full Version : Tim Shaw: scout.com profile

BlackGold4vr
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Draft Snapshot: LB Tim Shaw

Tim Shaw (20) makes a play. By Ed Thompson
ColtPower.com
Posted Feb 8, 2007

Penn State linebacker Tim Shaw might be one of those 3-4/4-3 front seven players who'll interest new Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin. Shaw was an MLB before moving to DE in Penn State's 3-4 defense last season. Here's a closer look.

Tim Shaw
LB/DE Penn State

Numbers: 6'1, 237 pounds

2006 Stats: 44 tackles (26 solo), 8 tackles for a loss, 7 sacks, 1 QB hurry, 7 passes defended in 13 games

Career Stats: 120 tackles (69 solo), 16 tackles for a loss, 11.5 sacks, 9 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 1 QB hurry in 36 games

The Buzz: Quick, versatile player with experience at MLB, OLB, DE and RB who has been lauded for his blue-collar work ethic that pushes his teammates ... Selfless, team player who moved to DE his senior year even though it was his opportunity to shine at the MLB position along with All-Americans Paul Posluszny and Dan Connor so that the team could get their 11 best athletes on the field at once ... Had to learn techniques and gap assignments so he could be successful as a rush DE against linemen who were usually 60 - 80 pounds heavier than him ... ran a 4.42 forty-yard dash at PSU last spring ... Challenge for Shaw is that he's projected as a LB at the pro level, but doesn't have recent film/performance results at the position ...Is preparing for the Combine with Tom Shaw, who has trained more than 85 first-round picks including Peyton Manning and Tom Brady ... reportedly referred to as "the Lions' most important player" by Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis ... Earned high praise from teammate Paul Posluszny who said, "He might be one of the fastest guys on our defense. He can flat out fly," and "We know that when we bring him on a blitz, something big is going to happen."

Noteworthy: Shaw's the only player in Penn State history to receive both the Frank Patrick Memorial "Total Comittment" Award as well as the Jim O'Hora Award as the team's most improved defensive player ... was born in England, but grew up in Michigan ... outstanding running back in high school, scoring 131 touchdowns while rushing for a Michigan prep career record 7,611 yards ... his family took in more than 30 foster care children while he and his three brothers were growing up ... finished second at PSU in sacks his senior year with seven and third in pass deflections with seven ... didn't miss a game his last two seasons at Penn State and only missed two games during his sophomore year due to minor ankle injuries ... played MLB in the Hula Bowl in January ... finished his degree in management last May ... won the Ridge Riley Award his senior year for "sportsmanship, scholarship, leadership and friendship".

He said it to Scout.com...
"It was a great experience for me as a player. And as a person it was humbling, and it made me really keep working and learning." -- on being switched from MLB to rush DE his senior year to help the team.

"I've learned a lot of technique and a lot of leverage going against those monsters everyday." -- on how working head-to-head against offensive linemen his senior year will help him as a linebacker at the pro level.

"I try to be a leader to this team and be a servant to this team. Whatever needs to be done, I want to do it. And I want to bring guys along with me and get things done the right way. -- on his leadership style and commitment to the team.

Check back on Friday for our interview with Tim Shaw, an exclusive feature for Scout.com subscribers!

This guy sounds like he could be one of those late rounds steals. The 4.42/40 speed is pretty darn fast! I liked the blue collar work ethics and the unselfishness to change positions for the team even though it may have hurt his draft position (which equals money). Sounds like a guy who could fit in nicely with the black and gold! I didn't watch a lot of Penn State games this year. Has anyone that follows Penn State noticed this guy as a standout? The 3 guys who seem to be getting all the scouts attention are Hunt, Posluzny and Brown. Do we want this guy? We are thin at LB. :scratch:

:beer3:

BB2W
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Tim Shaw is a great football player and teammate... he sacrificed a lot personally moving from MLB to DE. He is a hard working guy who didn't mind playing in the shadows of Connor and Puz. He made the switch to DE because he was the best outside pass rusher on the team after the loss of Tamba Hali.

I don't know if he'll make it in the NFL, but I would think he'd be a heck of a special teams player.

Koopa
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Tim Shaw is a great football player and teammate... he sacrificed a lot personally moving from MLB to DE. He is a hard working guy who didn't mind playing in the shadows of Connor and Puz. He made the switch to DE because he was the best outside pass rusher on the team after the loss of Tamba Hali.

I don't know if he'll make it in the NFL, but I would think he'd be a heck of a special teams player.

which is what we need for the late round picks to be.......... i'm tired of seeing our late round picks get wasted, if anything we should load up on hard workers that can be beast on special teams

DIESELMAN
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
This guy could prove to be real useful to us. Hes got the mentality of a winner and experience at different positions. We definitely need someone who over a short period of time can step in for Farrior at MLB. Not that this guy is the answer but who knows, hes played RB in high school, played OLB and MLB plus DE hes got the skills to do anything.

BB2W
02-10-2007, 01:34 AM
which is what we need for the late round picks to be.......... i'm tired of seeing our late round picks get wasted, if anything we should load up on hard workers that can be beast on special teams
I couldn't agree more Koopa... Do you think we could have gotten any less out of picks like Omar Jacobs, Fred Gibson, and Nathanial Adibi?

BB2W
02-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Yup... They couldn't have gotten any less out of 4th and 5th round picks like Omar Jacobs, Fred Gibson, Nathanial Adibi, etc.

Koopa
02-10-2007, 02:27 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............you drunk?? over 12 hours ago you responded with pretty much the same post lol

BB2W
02-10-2007, 02:31 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............you drunk?? over 12 hours ago you responded with pretty much the same post lol:lol: Nope... just forgot.