PDA

View Full Version : We'd be in good hands with Alstott.

58Lambert
02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Just read on NFL.com that Mike Alstott doesn't have a contract for this coming season. Man, I'd love to see him play for the Black & Gold!!!! He is definitely our kind of RB/FB, even if it'd be for only 1 or 2 years. He's one of my all-time favorite players :helmet:

http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/7/2/7/f_Alstottm_2443336.png

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Alstott is also one of my favorite players,but he belongs in Tampa's colors and no others!!

Koopa
02-08-2007, 12:08 AM
he hasn't been the same back since his injury, i rather just draft the dude from rutgers...

K Train
02-08-2007, 12:10 AM
seriously.....brian leonard=amazing

TEEMONT
02-08-2007, 12:11 AM
as much as I dont want another RB, I woul rather draft, than get an older guy at the end of his career. Although that did work out for us before..lol!

BB2W
02-08-2007, 12:13 AM
I don't think so, but Tomlin is from Tampa Bay... :dunno:

BlackGold4vr
02-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Just read on NFL.com that Mike Alstott doesn't have a contract for this coming season. Man, I'd love to see him play for the Black & Gold!!!! He is definitely our kind of RB/FB, even if it'd be for only 1 or 2 years. He's one of my all-time favorite players :helmet:

Alstott will be going into his 13th season! Koopa said it first, I would much rather see them draft Brian Leonard! Fresh legs and a hunger to prove himself. You don't pick up somebody elses has beens! No to Alstott!

:thumbdown1:

SteelerFan87
02-08-2007, 12:45 AM
I agree with drafting Leonard, but Alstott has always been money at punching it in on the goalline or short yardage. I'd take him for a year if Tampa doesn't want him.

K Train
02-08-2007, 12:48 AM
yes to alstot 12 years ago.....yes to brian leonard in the second round of the 2007 draft

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2007, 07:01 AM
If we were in dire straights with a running back and we had nobody then I'd say yes lets get Alstott and sign him for 2 years till we groom a high draft pick; but since we aren't in that situation I'd say pass on him too and lets draft somebody, but not on day 1. Wait till day 2 to find a gem and address OL, LB, and DE on day 1.

AZ_Steeler
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Alstott would be a good pick up but the Steelers don't really go after these guys who have been around forever and are on their last leg. Besides, he's getting to that point in his career where he'll accept less money to stick around with the Bucs and finish out his career.

DIESELMAN
02-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Definitely stay away from Alstott, as much as I like him, hes 33 goin on 50 with all the action hes seen. We need to grab someone in the draft with fresh legs like BlackGold4vr said.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-08-2007, 03:24 PM
We have no use for Alstott

58Lambert
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
The reason why I think itíd be great to get Alstott (ONLY IF we can get him cheap) is because heíd be a good change of pace from Willie, provide relief for Willie when he needs to rest and also to punch it in for those short-yardage plays. I was not thinking of using him as our featured back because we are not desperate for one. But, itíd be nice to have him as insurance. Some of you are too excited about drafting a RB in this yearís draft (especially in the early rounds). Thatís a complete waste of time!! We have more pressing issues with the LB and OL. Some of you talk like we have five Round 1 picks to choose from; we need to get the guys we desperately need first and thatís definitely NOT at RB. Alstott is cheap insurance only.

DIESELMAN
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Some of you are too excited about drafting a RB in this yearís draft (especially in the early rounds). Thatís a complete waste of time!! We have more pressing issues with the LB and OL. Some of you talk like we have five Round 1 picks to choose from; we need to get the guys we desperately need first and thatís definitely NOT at RB.

Your definitely on the money there bro. Post your picks here: http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67658#post67658

BlackGold4vr
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Some of you are too excited about drafting a RB in this yearís draft (especially in the early rounds). Thatís a complete waste of time!! We have more pressing issues with the LB and OL. Some of you talk like we have five Round 1 picks to choose from; we need to get the guys we desperately need first and thatís definitely NOT at RB.

Most of the fans that have been talking about running backs have been talking about 3rd or 4th round picks. I haven't seen anybody talking about a 1st round pick! Alstott would probably take a big paycut to stay and retire from the Bucs. If the Bucs still released him after he was willing to play for next to nothing.......why would we want him? We just got rid of the coaches concession stand runner (Duce Staley)! No more wasted roster spots for guys that won't contribute. And oh by the way, we do need a RB! Agreed not in the first round, but without drafting a RB we are one FWP twisted knee away from not having a running game at all! Who is gonna get the rock if Willie goes down? Haynes? Najeh? Yeah, we do need another back! Nobody is saying move up in the draft to grab Peterson or Lynch, but a Brian Leonard or Tony Hunt in the 3rd or 4th round would be nice! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Even if we do grab a 3rd or 4th rounder, we are still 1 twisted knee from disaster. There's no guarantee either of those potential picks could carry the load we demand, anymore than everybody thinking that Najeh couldn't do it.

We definitely need a RB in this draft at some point, and maybe more than 1 on day 2 depending on what Kirby Wilson decides to do with our backfield but no matter who we get, if it's a draft pick and something happens to Willie (God forbid ) we're potentially in a heap of trouble.

K Train
02-08-2007, 05:23 PM
im sorry im sticking by the fact that oline is not that big of an issue, hartings is gone after being absolutly manhandled last year..we have alot of good olinemen and will use them the way they shouldve been used last year....just because we have a few late round picks on our roster doesnt mean they are garbage....runningback needs to be addressed becasue willie cant handle the entire load and wear down a defense at all, we always know very early on if willie is gonna be able to run or not....najeh is not the answer

2nd or 3rd round pick Bush/Leonard/Hunt

TEEMONT
02-08-2007, 06:31 PM
im sorry im sticking by the fact that oline is not that big of an issue

Fact - something that actually exists; reality; truth

What you have stated is opinion, a very flawed opinion. Everyone is worried about Willie going down, what happens if Faneca goes down? What happens if MArvel Smith goes down? The rest of our line is AVG at best! We need depth, and we need young guys to push these older guys for playing time. I am all about drafting a RB on day 2, but lets go with needs on day one!

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-08-2007, 06:40 PM

What you have stated is opinion, a very flawed opinion. Everyone is worried about Willie going down, what happens if Faneca goes down? What happens if MArvel Smith goes down? The rest of our line is AVG at best! We need depth, and we need young guys to push these older guys for playing time. I am all about drafting a RB on day 2, but lets go with needs on day one!

Just to drive this home. If someone can pull out the stats. The steelers are significantly worse off when Marvel Smith is not in the lineup.

BlackGold4vr
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM

What you have stated is opinion, a very flawed opinion.

Just about everything that is written about on these message boards is opinion and conjecture! In YOUR opinion somebody elses opinion is flawed. Would you be willing to come back and post how little you actually know about football or about the Steelers if Tomlin takes a RB on day 1? Will you admit that your opinion was flawed? I doubt that! This message board is all about sharing opinions. But when you pretend that you know more than the rest of us and somehow your opinions are facts and everybody elses opinions are wrong.........thats condescending and irritating! We all have opinions about what our team needs. If ours don't match yours? It don't mean we're stupid! Unless you are a drinking buddy of Mike Tomlins I really don't think you are qualified to decipher fact or fiction! Like the rest of us you will have to wait and see what happens on April 28th and 29th! You may be right about what the Steelers do and you might be wrong! Either way please don't insult people whose opinions don't agree with yours! :willybs:

DIESELMAN
02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
:popcorn:

Stairwayto7
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I DID like him, but I want him much younger!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2007, 08:07 PM
As long as we address OL, DL, LB, RB, and WR in this draft I will be happy. Preferably in that order too and atleast 2 OL and perhaps 2 LB's. If Tomlin goes RB on day 1 there will be those that said I told ya so and if he doesnt then the rest can say I told ya so. It's a win win situation for everyone because we get good players and hopefully start a trend of good drafting on a regular basis.

BlitzburghNation
02-08-2007, 10:55 PM
As long as we address OL, DL, LB, RB, and WR in this draft I will be happy. Preferably in that order too and atleast 2 OL and perhaps 2 LB's. If Tomlin goes RB on day 1 there will be those that said I told ya so and if he doesnt then the rest can say I told ya so. It's a win win situation for everyone because we get good players and hopefully start a trend of good drafting on a regular basis.

:iagree: Hope the OL will be the hybrid "OKOYE" :tt02:

TEEMONT
02-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Just about everything that is written about on these message boards is opinion and conjecture! In YOUR opinion somebody elses opinion is flawed. Would you be willing to come back and post how little you actually know about football or about the Steelers if Tomlin takes a RB on day 1? Will you admit that your opinion was flawed? I doubt that! This message board is all about sharing opinions. But when you pretend that you know more than the rest of us and somehow your opinions are facts and everybody elses opinions are wrong.........thats condescending and irritating! We all have opinions about what our team needs. If ours don't match yours? It don't mean we're stupid! Unless you are a drinking buddy of Mike Tomlins I really don't think you are qualified to decipher fact or fiction! Like the rest of us you will have to wait and see what happens on April 28th and 29th! You may be right about what the Steelers do and you might be wrong! Either way please don't insult people whose opinions don't agree with yours! :willybs:

A. Cry me a river, K-Train can stick up for himself.

B. If they draft a RB on day one, that doesn't make me wrong, b/c I am not saying we WONT draft one on day 1, I am saying we shouldn't.

C. I can man up and admit when I am wrong.

If you are that super sensitive, than perhaps you should watch "The View" for your sports talk. I don't think I was out of line, and I doubt K-train will think so either.

Just to drive this home. If someone can pull out the stats. The steelers are significantly worse off when Marvel Smith is not in the lineup.

We need back-ups for the O-line too, and SteelerinPhilly pretty much proves my point, I don't care if we have Walter Payton as a back-up, if one or two starters on out O-line go down, we are hosed. We do not need a day one running back.

THATS NOT FACT ITS OPINION!

K Train
02-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Ok sorry i said "fact" not quite what i meant, but im also sayin that we do have a good oline and hartings was a big part of our oline problems last year, as much as i like the guy he shouldnt have played.

Yes phiily we arent statisticly as good without smith, but think about the last time we were without him...a 3 game stretch after ben came back from knee surgery and those games were lost because of his play, essex steped up fine, he had some false starts but indy is tough to play at.....im not saying we dont need oline depth at all, im sayin we have good enough players to play now and if we can get a stud runningback in the 2nd or 3rd round why not take it...a good late round runningback is tougher to come by than a late round olineman...hell im not even suggesting we take a late round olineman, im thinking 3rd round, BUT IF a good back falls into our lap....why not take him rather than reaching for a lineman not worth the pick...both have to be addressed and a good runner that can step in right away and spell willie is better than an olineman whos gonna be on the practice squad....jmo

i guess i dont have as much confidence in willie carrying us the whole season by himself as the rest of you, and im sorry but i dont have faith in najeh except on screen plays

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 06:34 AM
...a good late round runningback is tougher to come by than a late round olineman...hell im not even suggesting we take a late round olineman, im thinking 3rd round, BUT IF a good back falls into our lap....why not take him rather than reaching for a lineman not worth the pick...both have to be addressed and a good runner that can step in right away and spell willie is better than an olineman whos gonna be on the practice squad....jmo

Actually IMO, a good late round RB is much easier to come by, just look at all the late round gems that are carrying the ball successfully in the league or have done so in recent history. How many late round OL actually pan out to be that great? Not many in our teams experience thats for sure, and I'd wager a guess without having time to research it here at work that the percentage of late round successful RB's vs late round successful OL falls pretty heavily in favor of the RB's.

Reaching for a player vs taking one that falls into your lap; that is the art of drafting right there. When do you trade up for a guy, if a surprise falls to you do you reach up and grab him or do you let him pass and trade down to get a guy you want at a better price. There's pros and cons for each; success and disaster stories for both. We can only wait and see what type of strategy we might employ in 2007 that differs from previous years.

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
If you are that super sensitive, than perhaps you should watch "The View" for your sports talk. I don't think I was out of line, and I doubt K-train will think so either.

We need back-ups for the O-line too, and SteelerinPhilly pretty much proves my point, I don't care if we have Walter Payton as a back-up, if one or two starters on out O-line go down, we are hosed. We do not need a day one running back.

THATS NOT FACT ITS OPINION!

No thanks! Don't think I will be getting my sports talk from the view! I am not super sensitive and the way you stated your "opinion above" is great! The other post was not! C'mon the webster definition for what a fact is? Although you never did provide the "link" to your opinion. Nobody is going to disagree that our O-line needs to be addressed. However there are only a few 1st day draft worthy guards and tackles available. If they are gone should we reach and draft someone we could have had in later rounds? Our roster is already littered with O-lineman reaches who have not panned out!
And everybody is in agreement that we do need another back like a Hunt or Leonard to shoulder some of Willie's load. Specially since our new coach has said he believes in the fundamentals.....running the football and playing great defense! I believe the 3rd or 4th round is a good spot to grab a RB. I would like to see them go in this order DL(15th), OL(47th), OLB(79th), RB(111th). Okoye........Grubbs.........Spencer.........Leonar d I think if we came out of Day 1 with those 4 players Steeler fans would be ecstatic! I would be anyways! IMHO :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
If we come out of the draft with those 4 players, or atleast addressing those 4 positions with quality players depending on who's available on day 1, I'd be pretty happy myself.

I havent done the research yet to see how the depth is at RB but I wouldnt be opposed to an additional LB or DE on day 1 if the depth is there at RB on day 2. Same with WR.

TampaSteelGirl
02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
My understanding was that he retired after his last game. Unfortunately Bucs games are played every sunday sucking or not on TV so I heard that he played his last game at Raymond James Stadium and would be retiring. I just can't stand Jon Gruden another case in point, the sportscasters were saying that it being Alstott's last game, Gurden wouldn't give him the ball to try and score at least one more TD before he retired, it was his last game! To me he's an ***! Gruden didn't give him the ball, they did another play and they didn't score anyway. I felt bad for him because Gruden doesn't care about his players so IF Alstott is not in fact goingto retire, i'd like to see him go to a team who will appreciate him. I don't think he has too many years left in him but maybe he just can't give up the game. I met him at the hospital I was working at in Clearwater when his wife had a baby and he was very nice and very short!! :greengrin:

TEEMONT
02-09-2007, 12:09 PM
I am not super sensitive and the way you stated your "opinion above" is great! The other post was not!

Well as long as YOU think my posts are ok.:biteme:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2007, 02:47 PM
:popcorn: for once I get to use that smilie since Im not involved with this debate with BG4vr ;)

TEEMONT
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
:popcorn: for once I get to use that smilie since Im not involved with this debate with BG4vr ;)

Oh this is a debate? I thought you guys appointed him "manners police".

BlackGold4vr
02-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Oh this is a debate? I thought you guys appointed him "manners police".
:clap:

Taking the high road!

TEEMONT
02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
:clap:

Taking the high road!

probably a good idea......