PDA

View Full Version : Now or Never for Steelers

coldrolled
07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Gil Brant says:

I thought I'd highlight each team facing something like a "now or never" situation in 2013. These are the contenders for whom time seems to be running out -- teams that have a chance to make noise this year, but face serious questions in 2014. These squads had better take advantage of what might be their last, best shot to win for some time, because storm clouds are gathering. Teams are arranged according to the likelihood that hard times will come in 2014.

1) Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers' defense is getting older. The important trio of cornerback Ike Taylor (33 years old), safety Troy Polamalu (32) and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (28) is coming off a season in which each guy missed significant time. Of course, that didn't stop Pittsburgh from ranking first in total defense and sixth in scoring D, but it will be very difficult to maintain that performance level with such an old core. In March, meanwhile, Ben Roethlisberger turned 31, the age at which most quarterbacks hit the wall and begin to regress, especially when it comes to key metrics like completion percentage, interceptions and touchdown passes.

I think Pittsburgh is good enough to contend in 2013, but things promise to get more difficult in 2014, especially considering the competition in the AFC North. The Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals are both set with promising young quarterbacks in Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton, respectively, meaning they'll likely be even tougher to beat a season from now.

Big T
07-26-2013, 12:06 AM
So Joe Flacco is a "promising young quarterback" at 28, but Ben at 31 is old and may regress? Makes sense. Let's just completely forget that he was having an MVP season, the best season of his career, before he got injured. But hey, he's 31 so none of that matters.

One more thing... coldrolled, are you feeling ok? You didn't mention the TE position or Tyler Eifert even once...

Real Deal Steel
07-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Let the haters hate. Can't wait until were 6-2 and in full control of the division.

ChucktownSteeler
07-26-2013, 07:03 AM
6-2? How about 8-0?

coldrolled
07-26-2013, 08:36 AM
One more thing... coldrolled, are you feeling ok? You didn't mention the TE position or Tyler Eifert even once...

Im going to be sick if he kicks our DB's a$$ when we play the Bengals...

I hope Jones kicks Dalton's A$$ to neutralize my feelings.

LatrobePA
07-26-2013, 08:44 AM
It was now or never 3 years ago... Lets hope some young blood can break the starting lineup and have an impact!

K Train
07-26-2013, 08:54 AM
its now or never for roethlisberger because it didnt take him more than 1 year to win a superbowl?

Gil is just skewing the numbers

TarlsQtr
07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I believe this article has been written every year for the last five years."The Steelers are on the verge of epic fail because of an aging defense, blah, blah, blah." They then run up another top ranked defense (with new pieces) and continue to chug along.

I would also like this guy's list of HOF caliber QBs who suddenly began to suck at 31. I guarantee that I can come up with a longer list of guys who played very well into their mid and late 30's.

K Train
07-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Flacco was so average last year and heroic in the playoffs....but since hes 28 and signed $120 million deal hes definitely not going to disappoint them now

coldrolled
07-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Is there a nfl chart that has our average team age posted with the other 32? I cant believe 5 guys over 31 makes us an old team in comparison with others...

TarlsQtr
07-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Is there a nfl chart that has our average team age posted with the other 32? I cant believe 5 guys over 31 makes us an old team in comparison with others...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77416/average-age-rankings-for-projected-starters

cmerrifield
07-26-2013, 09:23 AM
I didn't read any other teams, but Manning is 38, the Broncos should be on that list. Brady is older, are the Pats on that list? We are about to start the season with the youngest OL in 40 years, young RB's, a couple of young starting WR's, a young DL assuming Heyward beats Keisel, or if not next year, a 24 starting CB with 3 young CB's behind the starters who have a lot of potential, Timmons and Woodley and Jones are a decent core of LBers, hopefully Spence can replace Foote, why is it now or never? The more I listen to national guys, the more I am convinced that there are several guys on this site that could do their job better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TarlsQtr
07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
I didn't read any other teams, but Manning is 38, the Broncos should be on that list. Brady is older, are the Pats on that list? We are about to start the season with the youngest OL in 40 years, young RB's, a couple of young starting WR's, a young DL assuming Heyward beats Keisel, or if not next year, a 24 starting CB with 3 young CB's behind the starters who have a lot of potential, Timmons and Woodley and Jones are a decent core of LBers, hopefully Spence can replace Foote, why is it now or never? The more I listen to national guys, the more I am convinced that there are several guys on this site that could do their job better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Well, there is no doubt the O is young. The chart I put above has us as the third youngest.

The D is old (the oldest according to the chart) but these are misleading to a certain extent. 1) It judges "starters" and we very seldom start a guy until years 3-5. In other words, we do not have 2-3 22 year old guys to bring down the average age of our D. Would having the rookies start make us BETTER (which is much more important than being younger)? Not necessarily, but it would make us "younger."

2) It does not account for the "starter in waiting." It will account for the "old" Ryan Clark and Troy but does not take into account the young rookie in waiting behind them.

NeilPatrickBanana
07-26-2013, 09:50 AM
So Joe Flacco is a "promising young quarterback" at 28, but Ben at 31 is old and may regress? Makes sense. Let's just completely forget that he was having an MVP season, the best season of his career, before he got injured. But hey, he's 31 so none of that matters.

I think that's fair.
In today's game, most QBs are in their prime years 27-33.

steelchamp204
07-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Wait wait wait wait. LaMaar is old?? I bet they will say Jarvis Jones is old next season also.

Real Deal Steel
07-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm going to enjoy it sooooooooo much when Flacco looks like a 3rd tier QB after this season. Then we'll see just how much they love him then. He is the most overrated player in the NFL right now. He is nowhere near as good as they are trying to say. And he'll be exposed right out the box in the first game of the season. Can't f*cking wait.

NeilPatrickBanana
07-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm going to enjoy it sooooooooo much when Flacco looks like a 3rd tier QB after this season. Then we'll see just how much they love him then. He is the most overrated player in the NFL right now. He is nowhere near as good as they are trying to say. And he'll be exposed right out the box in the first game of the season. Can't f*cking wait.

what if getting out of cam cameron's system, and having a full camp/season in Caldwell's continues his development, and he goes on another strong playoff run.... will it change your opinion? we all know the answer is No, and that's why you aren't taken seriously.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I think that's fair.
In today's game, most QBs are in their prime years 27-33.

No surprise you think its fair.........Praise for Flacco and a knock on Ben......according to you then both QB's should be in their prime right?

Root4Stlrs
07-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Wait wait wait wait. LaMaar is old?? I bet they will say Jarvis Jones is old next season also. Yes, he included "Old Man LaMarr" in his list of old players. Good grief, he's 28 years old. Geez, better get him a cane and walker so the old geezer can get around.

Omicron
07-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Flacco was so average last year and heroic in the playoffs....but since hes 28 and signed $120 million deal hes definitely not going to disappoint them now

It will be interesting to see how much they use the TE's instead since his safety net, Boldin, is now gone.

BlacknGoldHaze
07-27-2013, 09:56 AM
It's not the years but the mileage....lotta hard miles on Ben. Does anyone really think he'll still be playing at 38+? We have, at best, a five year window to grab a couple more trophies with Ben under center.

NeilPatrickBanana
07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
No surprise you think its fair.........Praise for Flacco and a knock on Ben......according to you then both QB's should be in their prime right?

one is entering, one i exiting

i dont read anything as praising or knocking one player or the other... I thought it was simply a factual statement regarding age

i remember when Steelers fans weren't super sensitive sissies when it came to comments about the teams players

Troyisabeast_43
07-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I think the Steelers schedule the 1st 4-5 games sets them up to start off very well and get out of the gate strong and fast for a change and lead the division for once instead of always having to catch the Ravens from the start. The Ravens being the defending champs are going to get everybody's best shot now each and every week being the hunted now instead of the hunter. The Ravens in my opinion with Harbaugh and Flacco are way overdue for a down year where things dont go there way and they lose more then they win. We will see how it all plays out but I still think the Steelers if they stay healthy at key positions and with this schedule they have this season have a pretty decent shot to still compete in this division and potentially win it as well...

Real Deal Steel
07-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Ravens are going to be bombed by Manning right out the gate. Can't wait.

Our opening schedule puts us in perfect position to lead this division after the first 8 games or so and we should win the division being honest.

Right now, I'm seeing Brown, Sanders, Burress and Cotchery as being the strengths of our passing game. At least in the beginning.