PDA

View Full Version : Raiders hire ex-Steelers assistant to coach DBs

Captcoolhand
02-06-2007, 09:57 AM
ALAMEDA, Calif. (Feb. 5, 2007) -- Former Pittsburgh defensive backs coach Darren Perry was hired to fill the same role with the Oakland Raiders (http://www.nfl.com/teams/news/OAK).
Perry, who coached the Steelers' secondary since 2003, resigned last month following a meeting with new Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin brought him on board to replace Lorenzo Ward.
"Darren's track record speaks for itself in Pittsburgh, first as an outstanding player and then equally as a proven coach," Kiffin said. "His work in the defensive backfield has resulted in championship caliber play from all areas."
Perry, 38, starred at Penn State, then started at safety for seven consecutive seasons with Pittsburgh after being taken in the eighth round of the 1992 draft. He finished his career with New Orleans in 2000.
Oakland had the No. 1 ranked pass defense in the NFL last season, despite finishing a league-worst 2-14. Pittsburgh had the fourth-ranked pass defense under Perry in 2004 and won the Super Bowl the following season.You don't suppose he resigned because of something Tomlin said in the meeting:dunno: :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
There was something that obviously caused Darren to leave, that much is clear at least to me. Either he and Tomlin weren't going to see eye to eye on the defensive scheme or Tomlin just told him he wasn't going to be retained. Why in the world he would say that makes no sense to me though; Perry is a good coach. Darren wouldn't just resign for no reason to do the same job for somebody else, much less a trainwreck of a team like the Raiders !

AZ_Steeler
02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
You don't suppose he resigned because of something Tomlin said in the meeting:dunno: :lol:

That is definitely something one could interpret from the clipping you posted. It's hard to say though unless we were actually that fly on the wall. I'm disappointed to see Perry go because I know a lot of us thought he could become the next DC in Pittsburgh :dunno: For him to just leave though and take the same job something must have happened.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
This one really bumbs me out because I really liked Perry. I hope he does well in Oakland but he's got his work cut out for him there.

Captcoolhand
02-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Makes you wonder:scratch: Like you said-to do the samething somewhere else:dunno:
The way I see it, not only are the Players going to have to learn a new system, but us as fan are going to also. :yesnod: with all the changes what kind of team are the Steelers? what will be their MO?

BB2W
02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
There was something that obviously caused Darren to leave, that much is clear at least to me. Either he and Tomlin weren't going to see eye to eye on the defensive scheme or Tomlin just told him he wasn't going to be retained. Why in the world he would say that makes no sense to me though; Perry is a good coach. Darren wouldn't just resign for no reason to do the same job for somebody else, much less a trainwreck of a team like the Raiders !Tomlin was the DB's coach in Tampa Bay for a long time and he probabaly wants to do things his way at that position.

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
This one really bumbs me out because I really liked Perry. I hope he does well in Oakland but he's got his work cut out for him there.

Not with a secondary that picked us off what.....4 times last year? This could be a cush job.

dick rasile
02-06-2007, 06:19 PM
You don't suppose he resigned because of something Tomlin said in the meeting:dunno: :lol:
A great one got away. All I want to add is " LOOK OUT":cursin: