PDA

View Full Version : Raich jumps ship to join Whiz in Arizona

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 01:48 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_491876.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Matt Raich has become the latest member of Bill Cowher's last Steelers staff to find a new home in Arizona.

Raich, the Steelers' offensive assistant the past three seasons, cleaned out his locker at the Steelers' South Side practice facility Monday and told club employees he was joining new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt's staff in Arizona as the defensive assistant.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator last season, was hired to replace Dennis Green.

Whisenhunt previously had hired former Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm and former Steelers special teams coach Kevin Spencer to fill those roles in Arizona.

Raich, a graduate of Monaca High School and Westminster College, spent two years as an intern in the Steelers' personnel department prior to becoming the offensive assistant in 2004. He has also coached at Robert Morris, Westminster and Glenville State.

"I'm excited," Raich said. "It's going to be extremely tough to leave home. It's been special, particularly during the Super Bowl year, but I think this is a great opportunity to continue working under Ken and Russ, who have always been very special people to me."

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 01:50 AM
eh.......lol

Koopa
02-06-2007, 01:51 AM
who???????????????????

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 01:54 AM
He was the offensive assistant so he did alot of the leg work, paper work, film study, just be a general helper and gopher to the offensive staff.

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Man I hate the off-season.........

SteelerFan87
02-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Maybe they should change their name from the Arizona Cardinals to the Arizona spurned ex-steelers assistants.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 02:08 AM
I hate when this happens..I mean really if you get to be a head coach you should have to go out and find your own damn people instead of stealing them from your previous employer ! :cursin:

Koopa
02-06-2007, 02:11 AM
they must not be to important to the team if the rooney's are allowing it........

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 02:33 AM
The Rooney's told Tomlin he has final say on his staff so if he wanted to let him go, they'd go along with it.

DIESELMAN
02-06-2007, 06:28 AM
He was the offensive assistant so he did alot of the leg work, paper work, film study, just be a general helper and gopher to the offensive staff.

Oh man now we're really going to suck next year...lol
Gophers are a dime a dozen.

TampaSteelGirl
02-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Yea it's hard losing a hard working bitch! :hilarious: Oh well! Seems Tomlin has alot of "weapons" in his back pocket so i'm not worried! We are gonna have a great team!! :tt02:

AZ_Steeler
02-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I think Koopa said it best... "who?" :lol:

DalTXColtsFan
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Man I hate the off-season.........

This made me laugh out loud :hilarious:

Kevin Spencer is a horrible special teams coach - was he actually with you guys when you won the superbowl???? If so, you're lucky you had talented guys like Randle El.

He used to coach the Colts' special teams. In a 2000 playoff game against Miami he called a fake field goal in the first quarter on I think a 4th and 5, that would have been about a 40-yard attempt. The Colts jumped out to a 17-0 halftime lead and blew it when we gave up a 2-minute drill to Jay Fiedler to force overtime (sheesh I can't believe I just typed that!!!!! I'm going to have nightmares.). The game would've been over at that point if he'd taken the 3. Instead I had to hear "Peyton Manning can't win the big game" for 3 more years :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah he was with us when we won the SB. He was actually pretty good and our special teams were improving every year; then in 2006 it all just went to shiate and we were terrible with our coverage units, and return guys fumbling all over creation.

BBG7
02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh well...life goes on!!!! lol

Hburg
02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Who cares, let him go. If he his loyalties are elsewhere I don't want him working for the Steelers anymore anyway. Tomlin seems confident enough in who he will get, plus he already has secured the most valuble member of the past organization in Lebeau. Forget the gophers. What does this say about Whisenhunt that he keeps hiring all the people in Cowher's old group instead of finding and hiring his own. I can understand maybe Grimm, but this is about the 3rd person I've heard that he's taken from Pittsburgh to Arizona.

If this keeps going, they are going to have to rename the team the Arizonburgh Steel Cardinals.

BuFu

SteelersWoman
02-08-2007, 03:41 AM
...,.If this keeps going, they are going to have to rename the team the Arizonburgh Steel Cardinals.

The media has taken to calling the Cards "Pittsburgh West". Dunno why, but I found that amusing. But, I'm easily amused :greengrin:

SteelerNation
02-08-2007, 04:54 PM
hmm im lost i have no clue on who this is nor have i herd of him befor but can someone give me a little scoop on who he is